Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

My, how you've changed, ESO.

Wanderica
Wanderica
✭✭
OK, so I've played ESO a couple of times over the years. Beta / Launch I played a NB up to about 36 or so by following the story and laid out progression, and then later, a Templar to 41 or so following the same method. I understand that One Tamriel has changed things, mostly for the better, but I feel pretty much stuck on my NB. Everything seems to have scaled right past me, and I can't seem to figure out why. My newly rolled Magicka DK is steam rolling things. Are NBs just squishy or is stamina generally not used until later on when gear and stats can play a larger role in damage and survivability? Is it gear perhaps? She has on level gear, but it's the old (very old) stuff that has no stats. It's just green quality with no glyphs. It wasn't necessary back then, after all, since additional levels meant more than a low level glyph ever could in terms of power. Obviously that's all changed with one tamriel. Am I better off just rerolling or can this toon be "salvaged?" I have very little gold and trying to buy things from markets is frustrating anyway. Not much out there for low level stuff to retool this old character, and my crafting is sadly lacking since I haven't played to do research despite hundreds of deconned items to level crafting skills. Are there any up to date newbie guides or Welcome Back guides for those trying to resurrect an old toon? She has lots of skill points and has collected every book on every map I've done so far. Didn't really want to do all that again, but then again, maybe in the grand scheme of things I haven't done as much as I think I have.

Thanks for any advice.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, as far as nightblades go, we just die really easy the whole game.
    its been that way since beta and is still same today.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found nightblades to be squishy, particularly stamina NBs if you don't get "Vigor" from PvPing.
    When they had the double AP event recently, I resurrected my old stamina NB that I haven't used for 6 months, and brought her into PvP just to get Vigor.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't do stamina, and I don't do nightblades, but there're some basic advices I can give anyway. First, always use on-level/as close as possible gear, you're right about that - with One Tam it's more important than ever as it scales your armor to cp 160 but the bigger the gap between your level and gear level the worse that scaling is. Second, every zone drops 3 sets now, one medium(for stam), one light(for magicka), one heavy(for tanks). Some are obviously a lot better than others but generally if you just quest(if that's your thing), do use the set pieces you find. You get some for quest rewards, as WB drops, as drops off delve bosses, from chests etc. That extra stamina/weapon damage/whatever bonus just can't hurt. An easy alternative is craft yourself some relevant gear/ask someone to craft for you(if you play on PC NA I could do that for you), some decent crafted stam set like Hunding's.

Stamina nightblades aren't the sturdiest spec in the game(that doesn't mean it's not possible to do all of the game's content, including stuff like no death vet Maelstrom arena, on them though), you might want to get some heals. Rally from 2h has one I believe, think DW has something too, and Vigor from Alliance War skilltree is very very good. In fact if you stick to it you'll really want to get Vigor eventually. It doesn't take too long to get these days too, just a few hours of PvP basically - can just follow the group and repair keeps etc.

Oh also get some food. If you can't craft it yourself look at guildtraders, food is pretty cheap these days, maybe ~1-2k for 100(more for purple but blue max health+stam should do the job just fine).

You can of course reroll if you feel like it but there really isn't anything "unsalvageable" there. I assure you everyone including stamblades is very capable of doing open world questing and more challenging stuff(though it might be a little bit, well, more challenging) as well. You just need to get the hang of it:) Feel free to ask if you have any more specific questions.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had similar issue when one tamriel went live one one of my char which was around level 31/32 (other tooms were surprisingly fine only this one had troubles)

I found out that the problems were:

- we start losing some buff bonus more strongly around this level (which is fine if you level from scratch as it is compensated by skills and gears) but is difficult if you start reusing old char
    - My gear was all green and not good. As soon as i finished a couple of quest and got some gear sets (those sets that give great bonus when you have 5 pieces of them) it went much better

Fyi i leveled my stam nb after one tamriel and i steam rolled through mobs

In short: get a good gear and youll be fine :)

You still need to use decent skills though
    Edited by Morgul667 on August 23, 2017 12:00PM
  • Megabear
    Megabear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wanderica wrote: »
    OK, so I've played ESO a couple of times over the years. Beta / Launch I played a NB up to about 36 or so by following the story and laid out progression, and then later, a Templar to 41 or so following the same method. I understand that One Tamriel has changed things, mostly for the better, but I feel pretty much stuck on my NB. Everything seems to have scaled right past me, and I can't seem to figure out why. My newly rolled Magicka DK is steam rolling things. Are NBs just squishy or is stamina generally not used until later on when gear and stats can play a larger role in damage and survivability? Is it gear perhaps? She has on level gear, but it's the old (very old) stuff that has no stats. It's just green quality with no glyphs. It wasn't necessary back then, after all, since additional levels meant more than a low level glyph ever could in terms of power. Obviously that's all changed with one tamriel. Am I better off just rerolling or can this toon be "salvaged?" I have very little gold and trying to buy things from markets is frustrating anyway. Not much out there for low level stuff to retool this old character, and my crafting is sadly lacking since I haven't played to do research despite hundreds of deconned items to level crafting skills. Are there any up to date newbie guides or Welcome Back guides for those trying to resurrect an old toon? She has lots of skill points and has collected every book on every map I've done so far. Didn't really want to do all that again, but then again, maybe in the grand scheme of things I haven't done as much as I think I have.

Thanks for any advice.

My first character was Stam NB so I know what you're going through. Thing is though when geared they kill stuff so fast it's ridiculous. You can push through Stam NB w/o good gear, or you can level other characters and wait until you can craft yourself Hunding's Rage w/ training traits. I like to combine 5 pieces of Hunding's Rage with 4 piece Night's Silence on my new stamina characters. You'll slice through everything in your path. If you do daily dungeons and get lucky with 3x Agility accessory pieces it'll make you even more deadly.

Edit: Of course you can also ask others to craft those pieces as well. I didn't even think about this because I never like having others craft stuff for me.
    Edited by Megabear on August 25, 2017 11:09PM
    Guide to making $$$ in Tamriel: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/370618/guide-to-making-gold-in-eso/p1?new=1
    Cost analysis for potential ESO players: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/367919/cost-analysis-for-brand-new-potential-pc-eso-players#latest
    Warden Bow Healer/DPS Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-bow-healerdps-hybrid/
    Warden "The Warladin" Healer/Tank Hybrid Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-the-warladin-healertank-hybrid-build/
    Warden Stamina DPS Build: http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/warden-dps-build/
    Server - PC/NA
    Vhevet - (S) Night Blade/Female/Orsimer
    Ecaer - (M) Templar/Female/Breton
    Captain Beaster Bunny - (S) Warden/Male/Red Guard
    Ezaera - (M) Sorcerer/Female/Altmer
    Ecaeri - (M) Warden/Female/Argonian
    Dun-and-Dunmer - (M) Dragon Knight/Male/Dunmer
    What Can Go Wong - (S) Night Blade/Male/Bosmer
    Izaer - (M) Templar/Male/Breton
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My very first character back in March 2014 started out as a hybrid NB, while I learned to play. I tried many things with this character over the years, and I can confirm that stamina NB tends to be squishy and harder than other classes until you have good gear and skills as well as knowledge about the class. Eventually I turned that character (still my most played, and my favourite) to a tanky mage and she just mows down content, killing while self-healing. It's very satisfying, even though her race is not the ideal on a mage (she's Khajiit).

A newer character I created as a stamblade from scratch, with always the right buff food, crafted stamina gear in blue every 10 levels, and my accumulated NB knowledge, became easier to play as time went by. Blur is a good skill to have, as is Evasion. Healing is mostly done with non-NB skills: Bloodthirst (dual wield morph) can keep you healed, rally (two-hander morph) heals over times and buffs damage, and Vigor is awesome, if you're ok with spending a few hours doing PVP to unlock it. PVP skills unlock much sooner nowadays. There was a mark target morph I used a year or so ago for healing (it healed a lot when the target died) but I have not used it lately, so I'm not sure if it's still a reasonable choice.

If you're on PC EU I can make a set of reasonable gear and food for your character, drop me a message in game to @Khenarthi and I'll be happy to help.
    PC-EU
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For having experienced the fact of leveling a char in the level 30+ after one tamriel, it is not class related. Get a few gear sets and youll be fine :)
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Main a nb since forever. Gonna say this though, vigour is a crutch . It's one thing if you want to PvP, that ability will save your life more than once. But pve? It's really just a question of how you play your nb. It's burst, disengage and burst. There are many options for healing for Stam nb, it's just how you go about it.

Reaper's mark, killer's blade. There are sets that help you with resource and health sustain. Weapon abilities such as rally or blood craze. Even soul tether can help you maintain good heals on yourself. Pve content is not that hard. Group content don't require you to have so much self healing since that's what the healers are for.

Does it play like a sorcerer? Hell no. I don't kill em all at once. I take groups of mobs down by steel tornado, killer's blade and initial reaper's mark kill. I basically turn into a rolling killing machine.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!