Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Shepherd of the Frozen Valley - a New Magden PvP Build

Waffennacht
Waffennacht
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
"Your build hits hard af."
"GG, I love your build."
"I think your build is disgustingly awesome"
"GG, your build is very interesting lol"

Shepherd of the Frozen Valley

yKmovin.jpg

Credits Deserved:
@Lexxypwns
@Draqone
@paulsimonps

Gear
Inferno Staff - Precise, Infused, Sharpened, Nirnhoned (preference, Infused with Spell DMG/Weapon DMG glyph is good though I prefer infused Oblivion)

SnB - Sturdy Shield, Decisive or Nirnhoned 1 Hand (poison or enchantments to preference - I really like magicka or Stam drain poisons for the resource return)

x2 Kena
x5 Shackle breaker
x4/x5 Alteration Mastery

x5-x7 light (up to personal preference, I run x5 light x2 Heavy ATM because I didn't wanna farm mats yet lol)

Traits: x7/x8 sturdy (I currently only have kena helm light infused, but rest is sturdy)
Enchantments: All Magicka or Tri Stat Glyphs (up to preference)

Jewelry Glyphs
x2 Spell Damage x1 Block + Bash Cost Reduction (adjust for preference)

Skills
Inferno Bar:
Innerlight, Deep Fissure, Force Pulse, Dampen Magic, Screaming Cliff Racer ult: Northern Storm

SnB Bar:
Living Trellis, Budding Seeds, Bull Betty, Dampen Magic, Flex ult: SnB or Healing Thicket

Flex:
Bird O Prey - Open world mobility and stamina regeneration
Defensive Posture - Duels, Close quarters, or against Ranged Opponents
Shimmering Shield - Small scale multi person battles
Gripping Shards - Against primarily melee opponents
Reverberating Bash - Defile and Stun for opponent's with strong healing

Food
Witchmother's Brew

Mundus
Atronach

CP
War Lord - 51
Arcanist - 75
Shadow Ward - 81
Befoul - 1
Tumbling - 2
Elf born - 40
Spell Erosion - 1
Elemental Expert - 75
Master-at-arms - 40
Shattering Blows - 23
Thaumaturge - 31
Iron Clad - 61
Spell Shield - 4
Hardy - 37
Elemental Defender - 37
Thick Skinned - 20
Bastion - 51

c29X81x.jpg
Bull Netch + Kena + Spell Damage Glyph, (+8% crit, +35 health per level, +5% spell damage from Cyrodiil)

Explanation
You may notice right off the bat a severe lack of impenetrable traits, don't dismiss me yet!
And this is why we love @paulsimonps , he went ahead and did the leg work for me to be 100% accurate :)
BLOCK COST=(Base*((100-CP)/100)*((100-#Sturdy*Strength of Sturdy)/100)*((100-Fortress)/100)*((100-Alteration Mastery)/100)-(#Enchants*Strength of Enchants))*((100-Defensive Posture)/100)

So in your case:

2160*((100-24)/100)*((100-7*3.5)/100)*((100-36)/100)*((100-6)/100)=745.6278528

You will have to drop block very consistently to keep resources up with that, but its not that bad of a number. Make it gold and you will get

2160*((100-24)/100)*((100-7*4)/100)*((100-36)/100)*((100-6)/100)=711.0623232

Maybe change the one magicka recovery glyph to block cost, would make it:

2160*((100-24)/100)*((100-7*4)/100)*((100-36)/100)*((100-6)/100)-203=508.0623232

You can always to some calculations on your recovery too to see the difference there.

Thanks to @paulsimonps I was able to get some in depth block cost maths. This build runs 24% block cost reduction from Shadow Ward CP, x7 sturdy traits (should be 8), 1 block+bash cost reduction glyph in addition to alteration, Bull Betty returns stamina while block is up, essentially reducing the cost of block by approximately 150 Stam per second. This brings the cost of block down to approximately 280 Stam per block tick. Maximum cost would be 1750 Stam per second (or 1500 with Stam return poisons) and a minimum of 30 Stam per second (including Stam return poisons)

Simplified - taking 4+ attacks per second (if each occuring per .25 second) will drain your Stam by approximately 1500 Stam per second, taking 1 attack per second will drain your Stam by 30 per second.

Even against 4 players the drain of stamina is low enough to control the battle. Quite frankly it's practically impossible to kill you while on the SnB bar. The only threat is getting hard CC'ed while on the front bar right when dampen lapses - this can be prevented by being aware of when the shield is about to expire.

PVa6nTo.jpg
Pigeons form a natural Symbiotic relationship with SOTFV

On the front bar Dampen Magic provides a massive ward that also prevents crit damage, combine the two and impenetrable becomes a lackluster trait.

Dampen is on the back bar to prevent an opportunity for the opponent to hit you when going from permablocker to weapon swapping front bar.

When "Permablocking" block casting Budding Seeds is great, as a burst heal and is also valuable by placing it down, then weapon swapping to front bar - to be offensive and get the big heal (plus casting prior to Kena again circumvents the increased cost)

Keep Trellis up - Trellis over Leaching because the burst heal of Trellis can be very important, especially when "permablocking" over attacking

Kena (@lexxypwnz idea for Warden) is there to give the build burst. As I've been running heavy this whole time, switching to light means that Kena results in still cheaper costing spells than what I was running, and it's up time is completely based on your preference. This monster set allows us to use both a defensive set with a resource set while still having enough damage to kill opponents.

Make sure to block cast, you can easily heal and buff while ensuring the upmost defense.

Against some builds Northern Storm can be your ace. Focusing on a player while storming them is massive damage while making your Dampen Magic gain 30% (not sure ATM but I think my Dampen is 8/9k in CP, making it a 10.5/11.7k Dampen.)

Potions and Poisons
Detection potions, they are practically necessary against the majority of NBs and usually result in an auto win.

Tri Pots are always welcome, can't go wrong hitting every resource pool.

Immovable potions are great but aren't always on the top of my list, the resource potions usually come first

Magicka or Stamina drain poisons are the best. They are used primarily for the resource return rather than the added cost to an opponent's abilities. The stamina poisons allow for more returns while blocking.

Game Play Footage
https://youtu.be/TcnQge_-Sdg
Here we find the Shepherd of the Frozen Valley, or SOFV, in his natural habitat. Unlike his Southern cousin, the SOFV prefers much colder climates.

Against Bleed Builds
Against almost all builds the "permablock" works extremely well. This does not hold true against bleed builds (which I expect to become more popular) as bleed bypasses block (typically these builds also maybe running Oblivion Damage Glyphs) once you have determined your opponent is running a bleed build keep blocking to a minimum. Use your shields as your primary defense, also keep Kena at a minimum to make sure you always have magicka to keep your shields up. Most bleed builds that can maintain pressure are squishy themselves making Kena overkill. Just maintain your resources and don't allow your shields to lapse (especially if you think a hard CC is coming). Bleed Builds will probably be the most difficult match up, but with proper resource control, the constant pressure and undodgeable pigeons will eventually bring them down. Keep in mind to always have Trellis active to minimize the bleed damage.

A great couple of combos are
Activating Budding Seeds, Northern Storm, or Healing Thicket and then triggering Kena.
Fissure > LA x2 > Racer > LA > Fissure > Racer > LA > Pulse - full on Kena with minimum cost (standard offensive rotation)
If you decide to run SnB ult, permablock until ult is ready, hit ult and bar swap for extended protection during offensive phase. The version that reflects abilities is a hard counter to mag NBs.

No CP Set Up
In Battlegrounds or in No CP Cyrodiil this build changes. Without the 24% block cost reduction from CPs, without the Stamina Pool boost from CPs, and without the Break-Free cost reduction CPs, the idea of "permablocking" on the back bar becomes rather unrealistic. Break-Free costs approximately 4800 Stamina, with a Pool of 10k Break-Free costs over 40% of the total pool.

So with this in mind, the allure of Alteration becomes minimal in No CP. We still like blocking Comets, Leaps, Soul Assault, Frags, and Incaps therefore SnB is still going to be our back bar.

I have found Riposte to be one of the best choice for replacing Alteration. The set provides very similar 2, 3, and 4 piece bonuses and the 5th piece can be proceed and bar swapped while maintaining the minor maim debuff - a debuff this build really doesn't normally have access to. I remove sturdy pieces and add full impenetrable, blocking becomes less of a priority.

The skills remain the same, if in BGs where movement is key I prefer Bird O Prey, less movement I prefer Shimmering Shield as you're guaranteed to have multiple opponents some of which will be using ranged attacks.

x2 Kena
x5 Shackle Breaker
x4/x5 Riposte
All impenetrable
Edited by Waffennacht on August 27, 2017 6:12AM
Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
1300+ CP
Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, since you linked me and everything cause of the damage mitigation, would be interesting to see you list your different sources of mitigation to see how it stacks against different forms of attacks, also to confirm number claim. Looks really solid btw.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Waffennacht on August 25, 2017 4:58PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alteration mastery is so beautiful on block builds and I've already told you how I loved that Kena synergy on paper. Sturdy is such a ridiculous trait and I saw you trying to figure out a magplar build with it and knew something dirty was coming down the pipeline. I'm stoked you got a working build out of this! This is why I think you're one of the best theory crafters in our community and on the short list of people I make builds with, absolutely disgusting setup that makes the most of so many mechanics.

What's the buffed pigeon tooltip look like?

Also, what pots are you running? Have you tried bull netch with spell power pots and witchmother? That would let you swap atro for even more damage.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on August 22, 2017 3:33AM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Waffennacht on August 25, 2017 4:58PM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been thinking of subbing Alt Mastery for Necro on my Warden to see how it compares. Thanks for sharing!
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Waffennacht on August 26, 2017 2:30AM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disgusting amount of SD! I'm kinda glad you are on console so I don't have to switch up my build yet lol.

I'll add more thoughts after work.

Edit:

I used to run kena on my templar, and find it satisfying knowing I could add a 300+ SD burst boost at will. LA+ Breton+Templar helped equalized that cost increase, so it looks like your build is no different.

If only we could get someone to make a combat video!
    Edited by Minno on August 25, 2017 8:05PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This build is really creative. Lol I bet this build is super annoying to fight
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edited by Waffennacht on August 26, 2017 2:30AM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There you go guys! Updated with a short video of duels, updated with CP lay out, and more information as well.

If anyone has suggestions for the CP layout I'm all ears.

I'll be updating the guide and videos etc as things progress, so remember to check back occasionally!
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • SanTii.92
    SanTii.92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey man, I just wanted to say that I really like your build. It's super creative and I can see it working, particularly open world with support from a decent group should do great. That's a lot of stamina to play around while keeping a ton of burst.

If I had any advice would be to make room for Ice Fortress somehow, i'd say that drop back bar dampen. Playing on light armor this skill should be a must for you as it would greatly deminsh burst taken. Secondly, have you tried Slimecraw instead of Kena? Although lesser dps, it would be more consistant and not hit hard on your sustain.

Edit. Also, have you tried Soul Assault? It lines up very nicely into deep fissure and a racer for a quick unexpected burst.
    Edited by SanTii.92 on September 13, 2017 3:25AM
    When the snows fall and the white winds blow,
    the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives.

Arg | Pc Na | Factionless Mag Warden.
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    a few questions:

1. could i use my vma inferno? i see its not optimal because of infused spell dmg enchant/oblivion and poisons are on your snb bar

2. this build would work well on a sorc also :open_mouth:
    Edited by Trashs1 on September 13, 2017 6:41AM
    Dolche des Königs (DDK); EuPC, DC, Sotha Sil,
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah vMA would be fine on this, you're just trading the x4 bonus of alteration for vMA - should be fine :)

It could work well on a sorc, only downsides are no spot heals and no Bull Netch but you can work around that.

Currently trying to get a BG version down
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    the heals are a point.. true but u still have the mobility of streak to go away if things get to hot

well i crafted a lot of stuff reasently so im a bit low on mats... when im back up stocked ill maybe try a sorc block build
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just want to say, having had a chance to duel this build that its very very dangerous.

I run a build that should ideally shut down a build that relies on block or damage shield for defense: several DoTs, high pressure, big burst, and an execute. That being said, I was able to work quite well as long as I maintained the upper hand, the second you get on your back foot against this build you WILL suffer and be hard fought to recover. All it takes is for the shalk to hit you while kena is up and its gonna be GG.

This build can be ridiculously tanky and if you can't catch it with shields down on the front bar then you can't kill it.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 20, 2017 7:44PM
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice build.
  • Trashs1
    Trashs1
    ✭✭✭
    hi :)

is that build still up to date? :)

since it seems u changed to templar, are u still playing this?
    Edited by Trashs1 on December 5, 2017 7:00AM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Trashs1 the build is not up to date (but wouldn't change)

The reason I dropped it was the high skill requirements to play. You cannot drop block or not have a ward up, this makes for a very unforgiving build.

While I did have a lot of success, the near perfection required to beat some of the better players was just too much for me.

I prefer a more relaxed forgiving build.

If you feel up to the task, the build will pwn the majority of players
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds