Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can we please have prebuilt walls/stairs/etc? It would allow us to use our item cap more efficiently

Icy
Icy
✭✭✭✭
Dear ZoS,

As I was watching the VERY good house in the video below it occurred to me that if you give us some more pre-built walls, stairs, platforms and fireplaces there might not be as much of a push to increase the item cap in houses. I know in my own houses I use a lot of the cap just on constructing these sorts of things.

What do you think?

Thanks

Icy

(EDIT: Go check out Forged Fairy's house below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2S0gSSlTHM&t=0s
Edited by Icy on August 16, 2017 10:38PM
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________Greetings, Outlanders from -Icy (@IcyIC)twitch.tv/IcyICyoutube.com/HulloItsIcy(not ZOS_Icy)_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • SoupDragon
    SoupDragon
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree. It wouldn't surprise me if this is something they are already working on tho as we have the Hlaalu Sheds and sidewalk.

Bought the Amaya Lake Lodge myself just to get the shed to use as a stable. Would looooove a fireplace tho (not like the Khajiit Firepit but a large one).
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Icy wrote: »
    Dear ZoS,

As I was watching the VERY good house in the video below it occurred to me that if you give us some more pre-built walls, stairs, platforms and fireplaces there might not be as much of a push to increase the item cap in houses. I know in my own houses I use a lot of the cap just on constructing these sorts of things.

What do you think?

Thanks

Icy

(EDIT: Go check out Forged Fairy's house below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2S0gSSlTHM&t=0s

Agree
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hi Icy! waves frantically, while blushing at compliments. anyways, totally agree, i mean we even have some walls utilized in game already, first thing that comes to mind are the ones often found in Breton houses that looks like stone with wooden cross beams. since those walls only show up in some of the houses, and definitely nowhere to be found in player houses, they seem to be like the added items, rather then part of the house itself. so that's already a good start.

and they would be incredibly helpful when it comes to customizing our houses. mind you... I would personaly likely still have issues with limits for pretty much every house that has an outdoor areas, but at least having some walls and stairs and the like would alleviate some of the item limit issues, while we wait for ZOS to figure out performance issues.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Definitely. And make platforms solid so you can duel on them
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they did say that they are working on adding more structures : no ETA

no i cant remember the name of the post i read it on it was when homestead 1sdt came out

so on that note.... can i request that the development team create a spiral staircase made of skulls & bones, walls of skulls & platforms from bones (that can be dueled on) preferably orc skulls cause those tusks would really catch the light!

dont judge me!
    Edited by bebynnag on August 17, 2017 10:46PM
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are ways to create staircases using items in-game, it merely requires precise placement of specific objects in the open game world.
    There are minimum and maximum values of distance and height between objects that permit a character to "step" across, which also allows for vertical movement.
    Im currently working on designing a "Guide to Staircases" that will use:
    • Blocks
    • Shelves
    • Any item with a "Flat" surface sufficient to walk on.
    Once complete, I will compile the guide and paste it here on the forums.
    Edited by OmniDo on August 18, 2017 12:16AM
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [deleted due to double-post]
    Edited by OmniDo on August 18, 2017 12:15AM
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OmniDo wrote: »
    There are ways to create staircases using items in-game, it merely requires precise placement of specific objects in the open game world.
    There are minimum and maximum values of distance and height between objects that permit a character to "step" across, which also allows for vertical movement.
    • Blocks
    • Shelves

see, the problem with all those methods as awesome as they are? they use up multiple furnishing limits. Icy, in the OP actualy has a whole video on building staircases.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pinzf1BU6c8
    most of them you still have to hop, but the one made from stage rough - can be walked on. but... each and every one of them uses up copious amounts of furnishing limits. ramps are not as hard on the limits, but also don't look as good as staircases.

which is why we're asking for full staircases and walls. as a for now at least compromise on furnishing limits issue.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Bump. I'd like usable walls, roofs and stairs. Preferably many racial choices.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SoupDragon wrote: »
    Totally agree. It wouldn't surprise me if this is something they are already working on tho as we have the Hlaalu Sheds and sidewalk.

Bought the Amaya Lake Lodge myself just to get the shed to use as a stable. Would looooove a fireplace tho (not like the Khajiit Firepit but a large one).

Actually you can take stone blocks set em in floor of a room and have a sunken fireplace by adding fire in the middle.
    Forsaken sunken floor fireplace:
    efpchyqcxtxr.png

Amaya Lake Lodge fireplace:
    1gkh1qcqbyzd.png

Edited by Krainor1974 on August 18, 2017 3:52PM
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you can make fireplaces, yes. with some creative applications of blocks and various fire pits - you can make awesome looking fireplaces. the question is... how many furnishing slots do they use up?

its not that we lack creativity to create all these things. we. lack. item slots. I would rather they greatly increase or outright remove furnishing limits. but even just giving us staircases, walls and fireplaces, would at least alleviate some of the "whelp, if i want to add some trees to the yard, i have to remove some apples from the kitchen" issue.

I built a fireplace (and yes there may be a bit of shameless bragging involved here). the problem is - i had to chose between it and decorating portion of the yard.

20900655_1375566902556509_1882504863318440154_o.jpg?oh=c8560c97bcdf7056c438f924760d7d2e&oe=59EC9C0F

this is 28 furnishing slots. pre-built fireplace, designed with factions in mind so you can pick and chose - would be 2 slots, 3 at most (if you are improvising firelogs, instead of buying them from crown shop). a wall partition I built in a next room? was also about 28 slots. prebuilt brick walls would cut it down to 3-4 furnishing spots, if that.

at this point I'm thinking that its quite possible that giving us walls and stairs and fireplaces etc might be easier then figuring out performance issues. given the last few days on PC and all
    Edited by Linaleah on August 18, 2017 4:25PM
    dirty worthless casual.
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well we all know they don't think things through at all. To have homes with open spaces and high ceilings to add floors and not have walls, doors etc is poor planning. There should of been basic walls, doors, floors etc at homestead's release. As time passed they could of added different types and styles from basic to fancy. Also the adding of mist and much needed water, grass, snow etc tiles should of also been released with homestead.
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I developed a temporary solution to the "Stairs" problem, as far as visual appeal is concerned.
    It is possible to create a stairway that has a maximum of 53 degrees of vertical incline, which is also the maximum amount of incline any surface can have for which a player character can climb.

As it turns out, not all objects in the game are perfectly square, but it appears that many objects "behave" as though they were, which allow us some neat tricks to bypass problems with staircases.
    Namely, you have to create an "invisible ramp" and nest it inside your staircase so that your character will walk up them.

How is this done?
    Like so:
    Screenshot_20170819_195705.png

An example of how it appears when used:
    ezgif.com-optimize.gif

The "Trick" is to use a standard plank of any kind; Rough Plank, Long/Narrow/Wide, and flip it 180 degrees upside down.
    Screenshot_20170819_202251.png

Then, rotate it to a maximum of no more than -127 degrees, and its "underside" will function as an invisible surface with which you can place your staircase materials.
    So long as the stairs dont protrude outside the invisible flipped surface of the planks, your character will appear to seemingly walk up the "Stairs" without incident.

This trick also works with many rectangular or non-square objects, since the rendering engine presumes a square "space" for its surfaces.

Enjoy!
    Edited by OmniDo on August 20, 2017 12:33AM
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's great Omnido, but it doesn't address the problem of item limit. ;)
  • Sheyta
    Sheyta
    ✭✭✭
    Yes please add movable floors and walls to limit the slot use to make a wall or stair
  • Icy
    Icy
    ✭✭✭✭
    @OmniDo That is AWESOME!! So awesome in fact that you should make a post!! Don't let it be lost in here! ^_^
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________Greetings, Outlanders from -Icy (@IcyIC)twitch.tv/IcyICyoutube.com/HulloItsIcy(not ZOS_Icy)_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Icy wrote: »
    @OmniDo That is AWESOME!! So awesome in fact that you should make a post!! Don't let it be lost in here! ^_^
    I did already. You can view it here. :smiley:
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've suggested this a time or two myself, on the Crown Store forum, before we had a housing section -- and I second and third and applaud this whole-heartedly. Wall sections in racial styles, with and without doorways. It would make our lives SO much easier, since they seem determined to design "living spaces" that are more like warehouses. I simply cannot use my precious item slots making walls and stairs.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • karrie7
    karrie7
    ✭✭✭
    OmniDo wrote: »
    • Blocks
    • Shelves

I have tried shelves but they are not wide enough to make a stair.My interior staircase is made out of rough blocks and the garden's staircase to my treehouse is made out of thick hedges.
    Edited by karrie7 on August 22, 2017 8:16AM
  • Icy
    Icy
    ✭✭✭✭
    karrie7 wrote: »
    I have tried shelves but they are not wide enough to make a stair.My interior staircase is made out of rough blocks and the garden's staircase to my treehouse is made out of thick hedges.
    Oooh! I like the sound of the stairs out of hedges! Could you post some pics?

• reoskit
    reoskit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use the Rough Platform, Stage to create effective, usable steps. No jumping required. 90g per, found at normal homegoods vendors, and you get two steps per item.

The width is considerable (twss). If that's problematic space-wise, you can run them along an exterior wall and only have them partially showing.

(Credit to Agi for the idea.)

Edit: Looks like you can also craft them at white level.
    Edited by reoskit on August 22, 2017 12:49PM