The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Functional Staircase with any Material (Tip)

OmniDo
OmniDo
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey all. :smile:

I developed a temporary solution to the "Stairs" problem, as far as visual appeal is concerned, and wanted to share it with the decorating community.
It is possible to create a stairway that has a maximum of 53 degrees of vertical incline, which is also the maximum amount of incline any surface can have for which a player character can climb.

As it turns out, not all objects in the game are perfectly square, but it appears that many objects "behave" as though they were, which allow us some neat tricks to bypass problems with staircases.
Namely, you have to create an "invisible ramp" and nest it inside your staircase so that your character will walk up them.

How is this done?
Like so:
RQan7L1.png

An example of how it appears when used:
BQxYK8y.gif

The "Trick" is to use a standard plank of any kind; Rough Plank, Long/Narrow/Wide, and flip it 180 degrees upside down.
ENszCXY.png

Then, rotate it to a maximum of no more than -127 degrees (equivalent of 53 degrees on an inverted plane), and its "underside" will function as an invisible surface with which you can place your staircase materials.
So long as the stairs dont protrude outside the invisible flipped surface of the planks, your character will appear to seemingly walk up the "Stairs" without incident.

This trick also works with many rectangular or non-square objects, since the rendering engine presumes a square "space" for its surfaces.
It also allows you to place rugs and tapestries flat against the surface, i.e with the Rough Plank, Wide, and you wont have to elevate said rug/tapestry more than 1 unit above the surface to prevent texture clipping.
This way, we can actually walk around on a seemingly "flat" floor without misaligned 2x4's sticking through, or having to raise the rugs so high off the ground that our ankles appear to sink in them.

Enjoy! :smile:
Edited by OmniDo on December 14, 2017 2:48AM
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    @OmniDo

Have you tried to use daedric thrones? They work well as stairs.
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Great info ty
  • Icy
    Icy
    ✭✭✭✭
    THIS IS BRILLIANT!!!! ^_^
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________________Greetings, Outlanders from -Icy (@IcyIC)twitch.tv/IcyICyoutube.com/HulloItsIcy(not ZOS_Icy)_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great solution, but I'm someone who has a hard time putting a book on a bookcase. How do you rotate something with that level of precision?
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great solution, but I'm someone who has a hard time putting a book on a bookcase. How do you rotate something with that level of precision?
    The Homestead OCD addon makes it a cinch. :smile:
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very neat, I'll share some pics of my round stone staircase when I get home from work. It's not as uniform and clean as yours though.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biggest issue with stairs is they use too many items draining the housing limit very fast. Hope there will be some fixed staircase elements of different lenght/height in the furnitures soon. 1 item is always better than 30-50 items used for the same purpose.
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Ulfgarde
    Ulfgarde
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rough Platform, Stage also looks great for stairs. Has a nice wooden, rustic appearance for basements. Uses 1/2 the slots of bricks too. :D

The Dwarven Altar with stairs might also look good, but then you'll have to spend a fortune on that recipe (if it exists).
    Very athletic eso player
    PC EU
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gargath wrote: »
    Biggest issue with stairs is they use too many items draining the housing limit very fast. Hope there will be some fixed staircase elements of different lenght/height in the furnitures soon. 1 item is always better than 30-50 items used for the same purpose.
    Agreed.
    Normally, I just use the Stone Slab's and align them as stone-like "walkways", but I agree.
    It requires quite a few items to hide the Ramps and make functional staircases creatively.
    Perhaps Staircases will be on their "to do" list eventually.
  • Maole1989
    Maole1989
    ✭✭✭
    Great stuff! I tried making a staircase a while back and struggled to walk up it smoothly :D. Thanks for the tips!
    [1 Corinthians 13] [John 15:13] [John 3:16]
    Maole_1989 - PS4 NA EP
  • Sticky_Paws
    Sticky_Paws
    ✭✭✭
    Ive made a stone staircase within my sleek creek home with a switchback midway up for a loft-bedroom to go above my crafters den. Material used: rough stone slabs with a slight tilt (not visible) and a very low rise between each step. Characters can easily walk up to the loft without the wood planks as the origional post used.
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive made a stone staircase within my sleek creek home with a switchback midway up for a loft-bedroom to go above my crafters den. Material used: rough stone slabs with a slight tilt (not visible) and a very low rise between each step. Characters can easily walk up to the loft without the wood planks as the origional post used.
    Well yes, there are easily ways to use stone materials or just about any material with a flat surface that can be walked up, or used as "ramps".
    The problem is the item count.
    Using the method posted, you can accomplish an aesthetically functional staircase which would be otherwise impossible given the mechanics of vertical movement.
  • Ithilis
    Ithilis
    ✭✭✭
    As the links have gone old, I would love to know if this trick with plank works if I add it after I built the stairs? I just build stairs from 13 upside down Breton shelves. If I add the plank underneath them, would that do the trick?
    Leader of Storytellers&Slavers RP guild PC EU
    Officer in Aetherius Art Housing guild PC EU
    Saxhleel - Power to the Hist
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ithilis,
    I updated the links to function properly. :smile:
    And yes, in theory, if the object has an extended "Surface", it should work.
    Edited by OmniDo on December 14, 2017 2:50AM
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a good thread and thanks for the excellent advice but... we shouldn't have to doing this. Players should not have to be coming up with clever solutions to ZOS's blatant oversights. Despite all the threads and requests I just don't understand why ZOS won't include a functioning staircase. It just baffles! It shows complete lack of commitment to Homestead. There are over a hundred different rocks but no staircase!!
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • Almariel
    Almariel
    ✭✭✭
    There is the Dwemer-Altar, which can be crafted, but, even if you know the recipe.. it needs 14 Dwemer Frames each, 14!. Even if you want to buy those and get them for a reasonable price about 500g each, alone these mats cost 7k, plus the other stuff needed. Thats why they are sold for 15-20k each in the guildshops. Plus the fact that it has that little altar on the top.

As posted in another thread, some dividers make quite good paths, but they are no real stairs. ;)
    @Sevryiel - daheim auf dem PC-EU Server
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zypheran wrote: »
    This is a good thread and thanks for the excellent advice but... we shouldn't have to doing this. Players should not have to be coming up with clever solutions to ZOS's blatant oversights. Despite all the threads and requests I just don't understand why ZOS won't include a functioning staircase. It just baffles! It shows complete lack of commitment to Homestead. There are over a hundred different rocks but no staircase!!
    True, but remember, Z0$ is in this for profit, period.
    They have no other concerns or interests.
    If $$$ can't be made off it then the company wont do it, period.
    The fact that they can easily provide <x> by way of furnishings and what not, is not the contention.
    Rather, they would prefer to slowly trickle-down-economically provide us what we want, to keep us subscribed and paying crowns. :disappointed:
    Edited by OmniDo on January 4, 2018 3:48AM
  • Ithilis
    Ithilis
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think it is really cool and impressive how genious ideas people come up with just because certain items aren't available.
    Like, I saw in one thread that some guy had made a complete drum-set out of washbin, buckets, plates and fishing rods.
    How is that the same if you can buy "dwemer drumming instrument" in crown store with similar outer?

But I do agree that furniture slots are a problem, especially in bigger houses.

Thanks for the stairs tip! I need to find a shorter plank because the longer ones stick through the floor.
    Will post a result here if I succeed :smile:
    Edited by Ithilis on December 14, 2017 5:30PM
  • Sticky_Paws
    Sticky_Paws
    ✭✭✭
    [/quote]
    Well yes, there are easily ways to use stone materials or just about any material with a flat surface that can be walked up, or used as "ramps".
    The problem is the item count.
    Using the method posted, you can accomplish an aesthetically functional staircase which would be otherwise impossible given the mechanics of vertical movement.[/quote]

I like your assimption of a ramp, but No. My stair case is a functioning physical step by step stair case. Which your character will have a notable rise as it climbs each step.

You can visit my sleek creek anytime to give it a nice test run ;-)
    Edited by Sticky_Paws on December 14, 2017 8:48PM
  • Ithilis
    Ithilis
    ✭✭✭
    OmniDo wrote: »
    Ithilis,

Ok so thanks for the awesome tip, it worked perfectly! Here my stairs made from Breton long shelves and then with the plank to walk on. Actually not bad result.
    ijyGugX.jpg

The only problem is that the planks we can buy are way too long for this situation. So it sticks out through the floor :(
    eAKuYaP.jpg

So I went looking for other similar ramp material and came across Scavenged plate, plain.
    Except with this the trick doesnt work :/ And it doesn't look good in combination with wooden shelves.
    D1jsjKr.jpg
    Eventually you could use the plates alone as a ramp up, it wouldn't take so many furniture spots, but hey where is the aesthetic in that?

These were my test results.
    tl;dr : The ramp-trick works great with wooden planks but with Scavenged plate and possibly other materials it doesn't.
  • OmniDo
    OmniDo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ithilis wrote: »
    Ithilis,

Ok so thanks for the awesome tip, it worked perfectly! Here my stairs made from Breton long shelves and then with the plank to walk on. Actually not bad result.
    ijyGugX.jpg
    These were my test results.
    tl;dr : The ramp-trick works great with wooden planks but with Scavenged plate and possibly other materials it doesn't.
    The Bookshelf trick was also one that I considered too.
    But, as you demonstrated, the planks are just too long to be used for multiple floors without them protruding through the ceilings.
    Alas, there are only so many "Tricks" that one can use until you end up with just using "ramp" design.
    Perhaps Z0$ will put more functional staircase furniture options in the future, right up there with walls, ceilings, and flooring.
    We'll have to wait and see.
    (Edit)
    By the way, those stairs look awesome! :smiley:
    Edited by OmniDo on December 31, 2017 12:54AM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like this. I just made shelves and placed them exactly where you can walk up each step.

This would have been far easier and less costly, plus allows for some creative steps. Cool
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all. :smile:

I developed a temporary solution to the "Stairs" problem, as far as visual appeal is concerned, and wanted to share it with the decorating community.
    It is possible to create a stairway that has a maximum of 53 degrees of vertical incline, which is also the maximum amount of incline any surface can have for which a player character can climb.

As it turns out, not all objects in the game are perfectly square, but it appears that many objects "behave" as though they were, which allow us some neat tricks to bypass problems with staircases.
    Namely, you have to create an "invisible ramp" and nest it inside your staircase so that your character will walk up them.

How is this done?
    Like so:
    RQan7L1.png

An example of how it appears when used:
    BQxYK8y.gif

The "Trick" is to use a standard plank of any kind; Rough Plank, Long/Narrow/Wide, and flip it 180 degrees upside down.
    ENszCXY.png

Then, rotate it to a maximum of no more than -127 degrees (equivalent of 53 degrees on an inverted plane), and its "underside" will function as an invisible surface with which you can place your staircase materials.
    So long as the stairs dont protrude outside the invisible flipped surface of the planks, your character will appear to seemingly walk up the "Stairs" without incident.

This trick also works with many rectangular or non-square objects, since the rendering engine presumes a square "space" for its surfaces.
    It also allows you to place rugs and tapestries flat against the surface, i.e with the Rough Plank, Wide, and you wont have to elevate said rug/tapestry more than 1 unit above the surface to prevent texture clipping.
    This way, we can actually walk around on a seemingly "flat" floor without misaligned 2x4's sticking through, or having to raise the rugs so high off the ground that our ankles appear to sink in them.

Enjoy! :smile:

very nice, thank you for sharing this idea!!
  • Shadowfell
    Shadowfell
    ✭✭
    Nice solution!
    Nine Trait Crafting Argonian Templar!

PSN James2908
    Guild: Stinkhorn Ridge Hoppers