Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

No available research slot.

Kahina
Kahina
✭✭✭
No available research slot.

The game says 1/2 for blacksmithing. But I can't research the Cuirass with Training I purchased. I've disabled all add-ons and done a repair via the launcher. And it still says I can't fill the second research slot I unlocked a few weeks ago that has been churning out research ever since. This is happening on both my laptop and my desktop. I'm assuming it is caused by the recent patch, as there is nothing else I can see that I can't disable.

Just in case, I went and purchased as Sword with Charged status (800G). The UI says I can research that as well, but it won't let me actually do it. As a side note, you lot (the trade guilds) are ******* disgusting. The guild I buy most from in Vvardenfell (Savage Blade) were the cheapest for a OH Sword with a trait. And even they were pricing OH Swords beyond reasonable basics for research worthy material.

TL;DR: I have an open wound on my forehead from smashing my head against the desk. I've killed a keyboard in the process. Please help.

170817-000710 ESO+
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    In-game chat replies say I am not the only ESO player suffering for this bug.
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same bug as well, wrote a /bug report. No reply

What I did is cancel the "research I was supposed to had" but was able to cancel it anywya, then I could research others traits.

Will check today if the research finishes normally or not
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    What I did is cancel the "research I was supposed to had" but was able to cancel it anywya, then I could research others traits.

Thanks to your post, I just tried that. I found the OH Sword I had been researching, and cancelled it. To no avail. I still can't start a research item the game says I should be able to, and I now fear I might have lost prior progress as the recent patch notes say you don't get cancelled items back.

This is starting to look really amature. I stopped playing three months after release to let the platform mature. To no avail it appears.
  • GrimClaw
    GrimClaw
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like they have zero quality checks or test code. This is such a simple bug to detect....expecially if you add research abortion you should check how it behaves with 2 researches at once.
    Edited by GrimClaw on August 17, 2017 1:40PM
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah well my idea does not work. I could start the research but the next day the research is not done, not in progress and I dont have the stuff anymore

So well, it just does not work
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgul667 wrote: »
    I have the same bug as well, wrote a /bug report. No reply

Will check today if the research finishes normally or not

Just so you know: /bug reports don't prompt replies. They send data to the troubleshooting team so they can use it to help guide upcoming updates and patches. If you want to open a ticket, you should use /help instead or log into the web assistant here. From there, keep replying to the autoresponse emails until you get a real person. You still may not get anything but a "we're aware of the problem and it will be addressed soon" but that will at least get you someone's attention.

MMOs are big games with lots of little pieces, so yeah, it's not surprising that something like this goes wonky every now and then. It stinks you were bitten by this bug. If you've reported it, there's not much else to do by hang on and wait for it to be fixed. Or if you're really starving on skill points over it, perform a skill reset and put it somewhere else until you see news it's fixed.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Gbnicholson1
    Gbnicholson1
    ✭✭✭
    This is happening to me on my clothier and woodworking tables with my magicka dps. They should probably send some free research scrolls to make up for it. So far I need at least three because I have 10 characters and its not working on a few of them.
  • GrimClaw
    GrimClaw
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a dev myself and I understand that you can't spot all bugs which are triggered by multiple actions. But I don't understand how bugs can pass QA if they are directly related and on the same crafting page.

• Crowzer
    Crowzer
    ✭✭✭
    I have the same bug...
  • avfanatic
    avfanatic
    Soul Shriven
    Also, can't fully utilize my available research slots.
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    After a few hours sleep and jumping back in-game, the item I thought I was researching (tried cancelling in post above) is now showing as researching again and has five days to go.

So this was likely a case of current research not showing for a particular item, rather than research available but not allowed. I'm assuming my support ticket got answered. Thank you, whoever you are.
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Same here, on both Blacksmithing and Woodworking.

Is this is a know bug @ZOS_GinaBruno ? Please let us know - we have traits to research!!
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Thanks for taking the time to report this, everyone. Just letting you know we are investigating this issue.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for taking the time to report this, everyone. Just letting you know we are investigating this issue.

Thank you. Really good to get some direct feedback - awesome ! :smiley:
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've reported this bug multiple times on both Morrowind live and HotR PTS, but I guess it hasn't been fixed.

The issue is that sometimes a research timer gets reset once research is completed, even though the research is complete. The combination of active timer + complete status leaves the system in limbo, unable to start new research until the research line with the timer is canceled, but unable to cancel the timer due to some check in the cancel research UI.

Thankfully, there is a way to cancel the bugged timer with script commands.

The following chat command force cancels all bugged research lines while at a craft station:
    /script local s=GetCraftingInteractionType() for l=1,GetNumSmithingResearchLines(s) do for i=1,select(3,GetSmithingResearchLineInfo(s,l)) do if select(3,GetSmithingResearchLineTraitInfo(s,l,i)) and select(2,GetSmithingResearchLineTraitTimes(s,l,i)) then CancelSmithingTraitResearch(s,l,i) end end end

Alternatively, my addon AutoResearch does this automatically whenever you go to a craft station with a bugged timer: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info1652-AutoResearch.html

EDIT: to clarify, the above command does *not* cancel all research. Only the research line and trait that is stuck.
    Edited by silvereyes on August 18, 2017 4:12AM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    GrimClaw wrote: »
    Seems like they have zero quality checks or test code. This is such a simple bug to detect....expecially if you add research abortion you should check how it behaves with 2 researches at once.

No, it does not look like they have zero quality checks or test code. Please stop the hyperbole.

Seems like you have zero knowledge of the complexity of regression testing. Complete regression testing for software this complex would be insane, especially since you would have to test everything for every little change. That would mean you would need to test, for example, selecting each possible research while each possible research is running. That is a lot of test. Oh, wait -- the amount of completed research could potentially affect that. So could whether or not you are ESO+. So could having some sort of active effect on you. And so on and so on... The number of combinations are such that no game could be profitable if they did 100 percent regression testing. In fact, 100% involves so much testing that such games would never be released. It would be stuck in QA forever. And that doesn't even account for all the variables in implementation. They server you are on could also have different behavior than another server. The load on the server could impact behavior.

This also illustrates how naive posters are when they talk like some change is low hanging fruit that can be done in 10 minutes.
  • CristiC
    CristiC
    ✭✭✭
    Same problem on two of my characters. Cannot cancel, so I'm stuck until I upgrade the slots. Also, in my 3rd picture, the research is done and I'm still stuck. On my other characters, everything is fine. Pls devs help us :'( .
    Platform: PC; Megaserver: EU; No Addons.

1sf71jhq7q82.png
    go1li87ahvhk.png
    b0d71tyul8i7.png
    Edited by CristiC on August 17, 2017 7:03PM
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings,

We are investigating reports of the research tab on crafting tables not properly updating. We need some information for us to help clear up what is occurring:

•What character is this occurring on?

•Have you used any research reduction scrolls?

•What style of crafting is this occurring on? (Blacksmithing, Woodworking, Clothing)

With this information, we can work to get the matter resolved as quickly as possible.

Kind regards,
    The Elder Scrolls Online Team
    Edited by Kahina on August 17, 2017 7:10PM
  • Flowersquisher
    Flowersquisher
    ✭✭✭
    I sent a bug report in yesterday, and today received an email response asking for more detail, ie character name and profession researched. It aslo said that they are aware of the problem and are working to fix, but it could take some time, cause, well ZOS
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have a similar problem, with blacksmithing on PC EU.

It's frustrating as it occurred on the character I am trying to train into my crafter.

Of note, I only noticed by accident that I have research available to complete as I normally use 'Awesome Events' addon to let me know when a research slot is ready, but the spare slot did not register on-screen on that addon. (I disabled addons I attempted again, but no change.)

Anyway, ticket has been submitted.... now we play the waiting game.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • MrGarlic
    MrGarlic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have a similar problem, with blacksmithing on PC EU.

It's frustrating as it occurred on the character I am trying to train into my crafter.

Of note, I only noticed by accident that I have research available to complete as I normally use 'Awesome Events' addon to let me know when a research slot is ready, but the spare slot did not register on-screen on that addon. (I disabled addons I attempted again, but no change.)

Anyway, ticket has been submitted.... now we play the waiting game.
    'Sharp Arrows'Mr.Garlic
    Hidden by darkness, a shadow in the night,A sped arrow dissecting the gloom,Finding it's target, such delight.
  • j_peavey
    j_peavey

Got your dog-sniffer on it, do you?
  • ThisIsAKnife
    ThisIsAKnife
    ✭✭
    have same bug as well, only happens on one of my characters for just clothing, very weird
  • KyraCROgnon
    KyraCROgnon
    ✭✭✭
    silvereyes wrote: »

Thankfully, there is a way to cancel the bugged timer with script commands.

The following chat command force cancels all bugged research lines while at a craft station:
    Thanks so much for the script !!!! it does indeed work

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the script, I was wondering if they research will get finished even if its bugged, cause Im researching a nirnhoned 2h axe atm (wich is bugged) :(

PC EU
    PvP only
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey guys, just letting you know we have a fix for this issue coming in Monday's incremental patch.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • silvereyes
    silvereyes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Thanks for the script, I was wondering if they research will get finished even if its bugged, cause Im researching a nirnhoned 2h axe atm (wich is bugged) :(
    The script only cancels timers for known traits, so it won't cancel any unknown trait research. That said, if you are nervous about it, it's probably best to just wait until Monday's patch.
  • XistenZ_one
    Kahina wrote: »
    As a side note, you lot (the trade guilds) are ******* disgusting. The guild I buy most from in Vvardenfell (Savage Blade) were the cheapest for a OH Sword with a trait. And even they were pricing OH Swords beyond reasonable basics for research worthy material.
    Sorry for off-topic but I can't let this comment slide...
    If no one would buy the items for "overprice", then the prices would drop. It's that simple. Everything in ESO is gravely underpriced except for new items that's only been out for about a week. Their prices drop like 500%-1000% during that time. Supply and demand?
    I'm picking up everything and I sell everything, I always try to sell for above average to keep prices from falling further down into ridiculousness. Not everyone is dedicated to keeping the economy sane, so you shitting on my hard work strikes a nerve.

800g seems fair for a researchitem, training especially which is the most popular trait. You could most likely got it for free/nearly free though if you'd used zonechat. Anyone could whip that up for you.

tl;dr
    You're a contributing part of the disgusting economy you loathe.