Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Pelinal's aptittude station

crowqueen
crowqueen
I was making a new set of armor for a friend. I decided to make it on Pelinal's aptitude since I have most of the traits learned in armor an weapons.
I made 6 pieces purple, light armor because they are a magicka elf sorc. They didn't see a difference, the damage was lower than wearing julianos.

What kind of role would be best to wear the aptitude set?
PSN ID: Crow-queen
My Champions
DC - Breton Magi Sorc
AD - Khajiit Stam Nightblade
EP - Nord Templar Tank
EP - Argonian Magi Templar
AD - High Elf Magi Warden
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pelinal's is primarily for hybrid (stam + magicka) characters.

Personally, I don't think the game is quite there yet for viable end game hybrid characters. Some day they will be, however.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on August 15, 2017 3:49PM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not a good set and this is why.

First, the damage you do is a formula that includes weapon (stam abilities) or spell damage (magic abilities). But the formula also heavily relies on the max amount of that resources. A character with 15k max magic, 1000 spell damage, 35k max stam and 3500 weapon damage will hit hard with a stamina ability (~10k damage) and PIDDLY with magic (~800 damage). Pelinals would bring this toon's spell damage up to 3500, but doesn't affect max magic. So now their stam abilities hit for 10k and their magic hits for 3k. As a result, the backup resource hits are mediocre.

Secondly, you've paid a hefty price for the mediocre magic hits. This toon could use Hundings Rage instead of pelinals and amp their weapon damage, to get ~12k stam attacks and 800 magic.

Third, using the alt resource for attacks is usually not attractive, even if you could bring the damage up to par with your primary resource. Stamina toons have plenty of choices for their magic to provide essential buffs, escapes, etc. Magic toons have fewer choices, but need stamina for dodge and block. There's usually not a compelling reason to tap into the alt resource for an attack. This is particularly true for your mag sorc friend...they want to tap into their stamina for exchange, providing health and magic in return, which is way more valuable than any stamina based attack.

For a mag sorc, almost any other magic craft set will outperform pelinals. Twice born is good, julianos is an all-around decent set, Magnus or seducer for resource management. Even shacklebreaker.