The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

[Guide] Battle Dancer - The Light Armour PvE Tank

Draqone
Draqone
✭✭✭✭
I'll be comparing the proposed setup (Alteration Mastery + Ebon) to a meta setup that performs the same role (Akaviri Dragonguard + Ebon). All points and enchants in both builds are spent in health. Sturdy Ebon is a pain to farm so it's perfectly fine to replace it with something like Plague Doctor or Bahraha's Curse. For 4 man content Ebon makes little difference and in trials the other tank will hopefully have access to the Ebon set.

This Light Armour setup has stats that allow it to tank any veteran content in game, including trials, though it will fully shine in 4-man scenarios similar to @Gilliamtherogue Bloodletter. This setup would surely work on a Nightblade tank too. For 4 man content, especially if you are brave enough to queue as a tank through the dungeon finder, I advise more offensive tank setups: moving all 64 attribute points into magicka and slotting some offensive abilities is totally an option.

Details on both setups below:

[LIGHT ARMOUR]
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor?id=20633
[HEAVY ARMOUR]
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor?id=20637

(if you want to copy and edit, the build editor works only on a clean install of Firefox + Flash)

The Gear:
4KNrS4r.png

The reason why we are going with Light Armour is because of the nerfs to Constitution - the Heavy Armour resource management passive. These nerfs mean that the Light Armour Magicka Cost Reduction and Regen passives allow us better sustain than heavy armour.
Light Armour has a serious drawback in that it lacks armour. Using the recently buffed Pirate Skeleton and Mighty Chudan one pieces provides us with a total of 5280 Physical and Magic resistances that make up for this deficit.

All pieces MUST be Sturdy because of the way Alteration Mastery 5 piece works. It reduces all costs (magicka, stamina and block) by 6%. This does not seem like a big deal but the work together nicely:

Sturdy reduces yours block cost to ~9% of the block cost after enchants.
Alteration Mastery reduces that 9% to 3%, which means your block actually costs 3x less!

Using Light Armour we trade 10% health for a 10% damage increase from penetration and a 13% increase in spell crit. While of course losing health is not ideal we are still above a very nice amount of 40k health and additional offensive stats can come handy in 4 man dungeons. The only real drawback of this build is that we can't easily switch into supportive medium armour sets like Alkosh.

LIGHT ARMOUR SUSTAIN:

Alteration Mastery and 5 pieces of Light Armour reduce the cost of magicka spells by 16%. Since tank abilities cost on average 3500 magicka, this means we save 3500 * 0.16 = 560 magicka per magicka cast. Assuming 1 cast per 2 seconds that's 280 magicka per second.

Alteration Mastery reduces the cost of stamina by 6%. On tanks we use at least 4000 stamina per 10 seconds to taunt and debuff, so we will get at least 24 stamina per second. On top of this, we reduce the cost of block by ~100 stamina per second, depending on the amount of incoming hits. That's a minimum of 124 stamina per second.

HEAVY ARMOUR SUSTAIN:

Constitution gives us a guaranteed 550 stamina and magicka every 4 seconds. This is 137 magicka and stamina per second.
Stamina sustain is practically identical while the Light Armour magicka passives are twice as effective!

CP Distribution & Race

We need all 100 points in Shadow Ward. It's important to reduce block cost as much as possible so that block cost approaches 0.
We need 49 points in Hardy and Elemental Defender. Remember to always start with those red CPs, save and only after saving put in 61 points into Ironclad and 20 into Thick Skinned, then save again. The red CPs behave differently depending on the order you distribute them!

As far as other CPs, we want some Mag regen and Tenacity from the Green CPs and then Blue CPs to taste.

Race does not matter as much, I'd go with Argonian most probably, but the above example uses a Redguard since my tank is a Redguard and that's fine too. For general tanking info I advise @Woeler and his site (https://woeler.eu/), it's an amazing resource.

Hopefully you enjoyed this guide, I look forward to feedback!
Edited by Draqone on July 29, 2017 9:06PM
ESO Balance:
“All skills are equal, but some skills are more equal than others.”
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting, this is some great info.

Now to steal some ideas and apply them to PvP
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Draqone
    Draqone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting, this is some great info.

Now to steal some ideas and apply them to PvP

Thanks!

Seems the images broke, I'll fix them asap.
    ESO Balance:
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Follow up, so essentially using alteration + sturdy + (assuming) x3 block cost reduction brings the cost of block down by 97%?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Draqone
    Draqone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Follow up, so essentially using alteration + sturdy + (assuming) x3 block cost reduction brings the cost of block down by 97%?

Technically to 1.2% of the original value. The formula is a bit of a mess with how the different % modifiers work.
    ESO Balance:
  • Dravecailean
    Draqone wrote: »

We need 49 points in Hardy and Elemental Defender. Remember to always start with those red CPs, save and only after saving put in 61 points into Ironclad and 20 into Thick Skinned, then save again. The red CPs behave differently depending on the order you distribute them!

Hey, nice guide. Isn't the red CP allocation the other way around though? Ironclad + Thick Skinned before Hardy and Elemental? I cant seem to find the article now.
  • Draqone
    Draqone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, nice guide. Isn't the red CP allocation the other way around though? Ironclad + Thick Skinned before Hardy and Elemental? I cant seem to find the article now.

@Dravecailean

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/347576/selective-noncommutivity-of-warrior-cp/p1
    ESO Balance:
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is pretty amazing stuff!
  • MarzAttakz
    MarzAttakz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait a minute ... no hang on! Would this still be effective @300CP - block cost and effective mitigation would be about 2/3 the values you've listed?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PC EU
    Qura Scura | Altmer | MagBlade
    Lhylyth | Breton | MagPlar
    Nhynyth | Khajiit | MagDK
    Ghwynyth | Dunmer | MagSorc
    Loots-All-Urns | Argonian | MagDen
    Shades-Of-Gray | Argonian | StamDK
    Or'Chastration | Orc | StamSorc
    Little Miss Famished | Orc | StamCro
    Fhane Sharog | Orc | StamDen
    Dead Moons Rising | Khajiit | StamBlade
    The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am very interested in how you got that block cost calculated. Seeing as lowest possible block cost per block is 48 with alteration mastery and 88 without it I am wondering how you got your block cost per second to be 52 with it and 174 without it.

The max cost per second with a One Handed and shield set up is either 192 with alteration mastery or 352 without it.

• raaphor
    raaphor
    ✭✭✭
    Very interesting!

I'm levelling an Imperial warden now so that's a good candidate to experimetent with this build
    EU/PC - 9 max level characters (DC)
    NA/PC - 2 characters (AD)
  • Draqone
    Draqone
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am very interested in how you got that block cost calculated. Seeing as lowest possible block cost per block is 48 with alteration mastery and 88 without it I am wondering how you got your block cost per second to be 52 with it and 174 without it.

The max cost per second with a One Handed and shield set up is either 192 with alteration mastery or 352 without it.

@paulsimonps

There's a mistake in both our calculations.
    I didn't update my spreadsheet value for morrowind that changed the cooldown from 0.5 to 0.25. This means that indeed, the maximum block without Alt Mastery is double. (174 vs 87 per second. It might be 88 ingame as you say, a rounding issue)
    That said in PvE it's very rare to get >4 hits per second in encounters where it matters.

Your calculations underestimate the power of the Alteration Mastery passive. Asayre's block cost calcluations in the linked builds are correct:

BlockCost = (((180 + 30*EffectiveLevel)*(1 - Sturdy)*(1 - CP))*(1 - Alteration - Fortress_Passive) -Glyphs)*(1 + Absorb Magic)

BlockCost = 2160*(1 - 0.32)*(1 -0.25))*(1 - 0.06 -0.36) -609)*(1 -0.8) = 26
    Edited by Draqone on August 7, 2017 5:54PM
    ESO Balance:
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Draqone wrote: »

@paulsimonps

There's a mistake in both our calculations.
    I didn't update my spreadsheet value for morrowind that changed the cooldown from 0.5 to 0.25. This means that indeed, the maximum block without Alt Mastery is double. (174 vs 87 per second. It might be 88 ingame as you say, a rounding issue)
    That said in PvE it's very rare to get >4 hits per second in encounters where it matters.

Your calculations underestimate the power of the Alteration Mastery passive. Asayre's block cost calcluations in the linked builds are correct:

BlockCost = (((180 + 30*EffectiveLevel)*(1 - Sturdy)*(1 - CP))*(1 - Alteration - Fortress_Passive) -Glyphs)*(1 + Absorb Magic)

BlockCost = 2160*(1 - 0.32)*(1 -0.25))*(1 - 0.06 -0.36) -609)*(1 -0.8) = 26

yea problem is that I know its those numbers cause I put on all the gear in game and tested my actual block value. You are wrong. Also put that stuff into a calculator and you won't get those numbers.
    t1MC8Zc.png

BLOCK COST=(Base*((100-CP)/100)*((100-#Sturdy*Strength of Sturdy)/100)*((100-Fortress)/100)*((100-Alteration Mastery)/100)-(#Enchants*Strength of Enchants))*((100-Defensive Posture)/100)

(2160*((100-25)/100)*((100-8*4)/100)*((100-36)/100)*((100-6)/100)-(3*203))*((100-8)/100)=49.4247552
    RFJk6E3.png

(2160*((100-25)/100)*((100-8*4)/100)*((100-36)/100)*((100-0)/100)-(3*203))*((100-8)/100)=88.34208
    WptvhdI.png

Is the formula, I tested it before while Morrowind was on PTS and nothing has changed. I check again on live, no change. Its really easy to check what the cost is, either use an addon like combat cloud, or record it and calculate the difference in stamina after each successful block. I did both.

Also I know that the formula says 49 stamina for the alteration mastery one but its really 48, the in game math doesn't use decimals and so we sometimes get rounding errors when using a regular calculator. Its testable in game, and its why I know its like that.
  • Draqone
    Draqone
    ✭✭✭✭
    @paulsimonps

As far as the first number is concerned, it's just a matter of me copying in the brackets wrong because it should have been:
    BlockCost = (2160*(1 - 0.32)*(1 -0.25))*(1 - 0.06 -0.36) -609))*(1 -0.8) = 26

but that doesn't matter because you are right!

I'll have to re-write the stamina and block cost part of the guide.
    ESO Balance:
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I stay clear of all that fancy maths.

But I've used similar to Gilliam build with leeching and Bahara Curse. Could never find the pieces in heavy so went 5 light 2 heavy. Pirate and Chudan. Pre Morrowind. I used Wrothgar health mag recovery food and 2 shield play 1 magic regen glyph.

Could easily Tank any dungeon with that. I wouldn't attempt it on Vet Trial but normal should be alright. The light armor passives actually helped quite a bit I think. With leeching strikes changes it may not work so great anymore.

The new mundus changes coming up may help make it work better.