Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Who is Cadwell really?

TescoBiscuits
TescoBiscuits
✭✭✭
When you ask Cadwell about how he got into cold harbour, he says "It's the same old pish-posh. Gallant knight, epic quests rescued maidens. I came to this land when my head was quite unceremoniously separated from my body. Bad luck that, but you make the best of things.". My immediate thought was Pelinal Whitestrake. What do you guys think about this?
Everything accomplished has been done on a integrated graphics card, thus far.
  • Urkraft
    Urkraft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow...thats a good................................
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "And it is said that he emerged into the world like a Padomaic, that is, borne by Sithis and all the forces of change therein.[...]Pelinal cared for none of this and killed any who would speak god-logic, except for fair Perrif, who he said, "enacts, rather than talks, as language without exertion is dead witness." When those soldiers who heard him say this stared blankly, he laughed and swung his sword, running into the rain of Kyne to slaughter their Ayleid captives, screaming, "O Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching back! Umaril dares call us out, for that is how we made him!" [And it was during] these fits of anger and nonsense that Pelinal would fall into the Madness, where whole swaths of lands were devoured in divine rampage to become Void, and Alessia would have to pray to the Gods for their succor, and they would reach down as one mind and soothe the Whitestrake until he no longer had the will to kill the earth in whole. " (The Song of Pelinal

That...isn't what comes to mind when I think of zany, Quixote-esque Cadwell...who actually ends up collaborating closely with an Ayleid.
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • apostate9
    apostate9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you ask Cadwell about how he got into cold harbour, he says "It's the same old pish-posh. Gallant knight, epic quests rescued maidens. I came to this land when my head was quite unceremoniously separated from my body. Bad luck that, but you make the best of things.". My immediate thought was Pelinal Whitestrake. What do you guys think about this?

Nope.

Pelinal Whitestrake went to Aetherius, you meet him there in Oblivion.
  • ajm1946
    ajm1946
    ✭✭✭
    Voice is John Cleese
  • Morgul667
    Morgul667
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That question is a puzzle
  • Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does Cadwell have to be anyone but Cadwell? Just because the prophet is really someone else, doesn't mean everyone has to be someone else.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's SIR Cadwell! ;)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe sir cadwell (who was beheaded for attacking carridges with branches) used to run a boarding house with his wife, he had an idiotic but harmless man servant to help run the business
    Edited by bebynnag on July 14, 2017 5:35PM
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleese-Event-Page.jpg
    Edited by Darlgon on July 14, 2017 5:38PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting question is what RACE is Cadwell. All the British accents in the game belong to elves, but you can't tell if Sir Cadwell is supposed to be elven, or a human race. You can't see his ears under the pot-hat. What do other people think?
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    An interesting question is what RACE is Cadwell. All the British accents in the game belong to elves, but you can't tell if Sir Cadwell is supposed to be elven, or a human race. You can't see his ears under the pot-hat. What do other people think?

I'd just assumed he was an original inhabitant of the hollow city, perhaps an ayleid. His ability to get around coldharbor and the fact that he gives the Cadwell's gold and silver quest arcs on behalf of Meridia always made me think he had been working for Meridia long before the player meets him in the wailing prison (where he is waiting to help the player escape).
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭

his accent would only really dictate who raised him though - Zhasim showed us this (wrothgar quest)
  • Ghanima_Atreides
    Ghanima_Atreides
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadwell is most certainly human; his features are not elven (the shape of his face, nose, eyes) and he's definitely too short to be an Altmer or Ayleid. "Cadwell" is also not an elven name, and even as a pseudonym it doesn't sound like something an Elf would choose. UESP claims he's Imperial, although I don't know what the source of that claim is. To me his knightly antics and English-sounding name made me think he was a Breton...assuming he truly is mortal and not some kind of Oblivion entity (there is much about him that is suspicious and difficult to explain).

But no, I don't think he's an elf.
    Edited by Ghanima_Atreides on July 15, 2017 10:27AM
    [The Beauty of Tamriel] My collection of ESO screenshots

Show me a completely smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's covering mistakes. Real boats rock.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's an Imperial from Chorrol per the Ask Us Anything thread.
    Cadwell, or as he prefers to be addressed, "Sir Cadwell" (though he is not, nor has he ever been, a knight) was once an Imperial citizen from the town of Chorrol in Cyrodiil. Like the player, he was executed by agents of Molag Bal and became a Soul Shriven slave in Coldharbour, but this happened untold ages ago. Exactly how this happened may never be known because Cadwell was cheerfully, endearingly mad long before his execution. He is almost certainly the oldest of the non-feral Soul Shriven, and he has attained almost legendary status among them. Over the years he's discovered all nooks, crannys, hidden paths, and secret ways through the access tunnels that honeycomb the cliffs of Molag Bal's realm. The Daedra gave up trying to keep him in chains long ago. His madness makes him essentially useless, his cheerful disposition makes him annoying, and his knowledge of Coldharbour makes him impossible to hold captive.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Malic
    Malic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Cadwell seems a legit Breton to me
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    UWiNhD5CSX2AAKDdkQLkfg.jpeg

Interesting enough

Gallant knight: Pelinal's is the original Divine Crusader
    rescued maidens: Pelinal's was Alessia's champion

I came to this land when my head was quite unceremoniously separated from my body

N4nQTMlJSka1J19SvVfkeA.jpeg

Considering Umaril was Meridia's Champion and that Pelinal defeated Umaril, maybe it was the very same Meridia who took Cadwell's soul to help her against Molag Bal. I suppose that after Umaril's defeat, she choose another champion... King Laloriarian Dynar.

Pelinal's = Cadwell seems a good theory

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My theory is that Cadwell is the being that small piece of Molag Bal's power has come to reside in, much like Haskill or Barbas. This would explain why he knows everything about every inch of Coldharbor, and why he can teleport around it at will.

As said earlier though, Cadwell can't be Pelinal because Pelinal appears to the Divine Crusader/Champion of Cyrodiil 750 years after eso. At this time he is entirely sane, quite convinced that he is in possession of his soul, and speaking from Aetherius. It would have been interesting but, unfortunately, Cadwell is not Pelinal Whitestrike. (Not to mention that by the sound of it, Pelinal's head was ceremoniously severed from his body)
  • Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    Can we get a dev to comment on this? haha
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadwell is a NPC in ESO.
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • Opticon
    Opticon
    ✭✭✭
    My Hero.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tyrobag wrote: »
    My theory is that Cadwell is the being that small piece of Molag Bal's power has come to reside in, much like Haskill or Barbas. This would explain why he knows everything about every inch of Coldharbor, and why he can teleport around it at will.

As said earlier though, Cadwell can't be Pelinal because Pelinal appears to the Divine Crusader/Champion of Cyrodiil 750 years after eso. At this time he is entirely sane, quite convinced that he is in possession of his soul, and speaking from Aetherius. It would have been interesting but, unfortunately, Cadwell is not Pelinal Whitestrike. (Not to mention that by the sound of it, Pelinal's head was ceremoniously severed from his body)

But Cadwell at the end (Silver and Gold), has little to no insanity. Regarding the head taken... can be just another of Cadwell's jokes (like taking away the Nords from their Mead in the "Special Blend" quest).

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

But Cadwell at the end (Silver and Gold), has little to no insanity. Regarding the head taken... can be just another of Cadwell's jokes (like taking away the Nords from their Mead in the "Special Blend" quest).

What are you talking about? Cadwell doesn't ever get less insane.

How would it be a joke? He is explaining an event, changing that wouldn't be being funny, it would jut be being inaccurate.

And once again: Cadwell has no soul and is bound to Coldharbor, Pelinal speaks to you from Aetherius. Also, Pelinal was killed by Ayleids that worshiped Meridia, meaning that there is no way they would ever send his soul to Coldharbor. Sorry but Cadwell simply Can't be Pelinal Whitestrike.
    Edited by Tyrobag on July 18, 2017 4:08PM
  • Sizaansil
    Sizaansil
    ✭✭✭
    I actually like the idea of Pelinal being defeated by a Meridia worshiper because that would be a reason for him to end up in Coldharbour. The Hollow City is or at least seems to be a former city from Cyrodiil that Meridia sent in Molag Bal's realm as part of a plan. All the inhabitants at that time somehow found themselves in Coldharbour despite probably having no connection to Molag Bal and Pelinal could have had the same fate since Meridia seems to have some control over that zone.

But there is in my opinion no way that Cadwell is Pelinal and one simple reason for me is their appearance.
    "Pelinal, his closest mythical model would be Gilgamesh, with a dash of a T-800 thrown in, and a full-serving of brain-fracture slaughterhouse antinomial (Kill)3 functions stuck in his hand or head" says MK. Cadwell is far from looking like a cyborg / robot.
    Anne Lucerne - Factionless Templar - PC EU Server

"[Let us] now take you Up. We will [show] our true faces... [which eat] one another in amnesia each Age" - The Song of Pelinal, Vol. 8
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sizaansil wrote: »
    I actually like the idea of Pelinal being defeated by a Meridia worshiper because that would be a reason for him to end up in Coldharbour. The Hollow City is or at least seems to be a former city from Cyrodiil that Meridia sent in Molag Bal's realm as part of a plan. All the inhabitants at that time somehow found themselves in Coldharbour despite probably having no connection to Molag Bal and Pelinal could have had the same fate since Meridia seems to have some control over that zone.

But there is in my opinion no way that Cadwell is Pelinal and one simple reason for me is their appearance.
    "Pelinal, his closest mythical model would be Gilgamesh, with a dash of a T-800 thrown in, and a full-serving of brain-fracture slaughterhouse antinomial (Kill)3 functions stuck in his hand or head" says MK. Cadwell is far from looking like a cyborg / robot.

Uncle Sheo doesn't look like Jyggalag

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Invalid.
  • Sizaansil
    Sizaansil
    ✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Uncle Sheo doesn't look like Jyggalag
    I see your point even though I do not like that example because it involves two Daedric Princes which are known to shift shape. The other thing that bothers me is that if we can't compare their appearance nor their ideas / personality then it's almost impossible to have common elements between the two and get in favor of whether or not Pelinal and Cadwell are linked. But I get your idea.

Invalid.
    Please develop ^^

"Still others, like Fifd of New Teed, say that beneath the Pelinal's star-armor was a chest that gaped open to show no heart"
    In the event of you meaning that MK is not a valid source, I found this one in the sixth volume.

[Edit] On a side note, I apologize if my english is not perfect, it ain't my main language. And the wiki is usually avoided as it is filled with mistakes and imprecisions :/
    Edited by Sizaansil on July 19, 2017 3:09PM
    Anne Lucerne - Factionless Templar - PC EU Server

"[Let us] now take you Up. We will [show] our true faces... [which eat] one another in amnesia each Age" - The Song of Pelinal, Vol. 8
  • Tyrobag
    Tyrobag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please develop ^^

You are quoting MK's fake lore, which is non canon. By doing so you've invalidated your entire argument.
    Edited by Tyrobag on July 19, 2017 3:29PM
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Xvorg that's a solid and interesting theory

Coincidence that they share that much in common in regards to their deaths and events in life or is it the same person?
  • elias.stormneb18_ESO

He's been confirmed to be a Breton.