Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Home Decorators For Hire?

Opticon
Opticon
✭✭✭
Is there a market for this in ESO? In good ole Star Wars Galaxies for example, many players made a very nice living being paid to decorate peoples houses. I know there is a Decorator permission on homes, but does anyone actually take advantage of that? The decorator could for example furnish several of their own homes as a resume for prospective customers to view their decorating skills. They could perhaps charge on house size and/or number of furnishings.

I would love to give someone money to decorate my house with my own furnishings, and/or recommendations from the decorator. I searched (albeit briefly) in this forum but was unable to find the answer I was looking for.
Edited by Opticon on July 28, 2017 6:22AM
  • raj72616a
    raj72616a
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    decorator permission does not allow us to place furnitures into the house from our inventory, so it does not seem very useful
  • Opticon
    Opticon
    ✭✭✭
    The objective here is for someone else to move all of my things around. Suggesting furnishings I don't have is just an option. I tried to make that part clear in my original post.

Here's my stuff, in my house, make it look pretty.

I'm not sure how this isn't already an ESO "industry". I must be missing something here.

Edited by Opticon on July 28, 2017 10:08AM
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Great idea.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an awesome idea.

I mean you would need the client to place items for you to move, but in theory you could make money off this service.

PC EU how much would it cost? :grin:
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • ExcaliburESO
    ExcaliburESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    PPl told me i got awesome house but not sure i can decorate for someone xD Feel free to come to my home to chek.
    PC EU @ExcaliburESO
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    This is an awesome idea.

I mean you would need the client to place items for you to move, but in theory you could make money off this service.

I can make your home look lizardlicious for free good buddy!
  • Opticon
    Opticon
    ✭✭✭
    People pay real money to furnish homes via crowns, with what most would say are subpar furnishings. Why don't people pay decorators gold to furnish with custom items?

Homestead is clearly popular. There must be competent decorators out there who enjoy this. Let's make it happen.

Edited by Opticon on July 28, 2017 10:22AM
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    This is an awesome idea.

The only Argonians in my home are the skeletons I've animated to beat up, also the broken skeletons around it.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opticon wrote: »
    People pay real money to furnish homes via crowns, with what most would say are subpar furnishings. Why don't people pay decorators gold to furnish with custom items?

Because ZOS want people to buy the ZOS decoration service in crowns.
    Nothing in the game prevents you from getting acquainted with another player for decoration services - for free or for a fee.
    But ZOS is never ever going to implement a specific system for this, because they would have to manage the scam situations that would inevitably occur, which they obviously don't want.

• Opticon
    Opticon
    ✭✭✭

Nothing in the game prevents you from getting acquainted with another player for decoration services - for free or for a fee.
    But ZOS is never ever going to implement a specific system for this, because they would have to manage the scam situations that would inevitably occur, which they obviously don't want.

Why a specific system? This is a simple service provided in game for gold. This doesn't need to be complicated. Take my gold and make my house look nice. There isn't a system for paying players to craft you gear... same thing. Please don't turn this into an anti Zos thread.
    Edited by Opticon on July 28, 2017 10:26AM
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why a specific system? This is a simple service provided in game for gold. This doesn't need to be complicated. Take my gold and make my house look nice.

If you don't want a specific system, then what are you asking for ? Go find players ready to furnish your house in exchange for your gold. Provide the items and let them arrange your home.

If your questions is : why don't people usually ask other people to decorate their homes, I think the main obstacle is that the owner still has to choose, look for, buy and transfer furnishing items himself. Choosing items is a big part of the decorating work, and you cannot delegate that one (or you can, but with extensive communication and time which obviously not many people have).
    But if you let decorators add or remove items from other people's houses, there's your door open to so much scamming that ZOS wouldn't want to have to police.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on July 28, 2017 10:31AM
  • Opticon
    Opticon
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want a specific system, then what are you asking for ? Go find players ready to furnish your house in exchange for your gold. Provide the items and let them arrange your home.

That's exactly what I'm asking about, but you don't seem to understand it.

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then you're asking for something from other players, not from ZOS.
    I edited my previous post while you were answering, to explain some of the hurdles that delegated decoration is facing.

I do that with a good friend of mine, for fun (not for gold). I bought the Palatial Hall and drop all kinds of furnishing items in there, sometimes fitting, sometimes utterly disparate, just for the lulz. Then she comes along whenever she has time and organizes the mess the best she can :-) We both have fun with it, but I don't see this happening on a larger scale as a paying service, because the decorator will always have to deal with whatever items the owner will have placed in there.

Another issue is that the decorator cannot open any door with a furnishing item in his hand. Which means, that the owner also has to decide what goes inside or outside or in what room. Very inconvenient.
  • Opticon
    Opticon
    ✭✭✭

I never even remotely hinted this should be something official or require ZOS intervention. Please stop derailing this thread.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I never even remotely hinted this should be something official or require ZOS intervention. Please stop derailing this thread.

I have also given many information as to why decoration isn't a widespread service among players. Stop misreading.
    Also I haven't written anything "anti-ZOS".

I'm merely explaining why your suggestion is unrealistic, from either ZOS' point of view or from players' point of view.

When you hire a crafter, in the worse case situation, the crafter will run off with the money/mats and not deliver the item. Or vice-versa, they'd deliver the item and not get paid.
    If you hire a decorator, you take three risks :
    - the person running off with your gold and not doing anything
    - the person decorating according to his/her own taste and not yours
    - the person putting your entire home upside down.

I would never give decorating rights to anyone but a close, trusted friend.
    Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on July 28, 2017 10:58AM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I have also given many information as to why decoration isn't a widespread service among players. Stop misreading.
    Also I haven't written anything "anti-ZOS".

I'm merely explaining why your suggestion is unrealistic, from either ZOS' point of view or from players' point of view.

When you hire a crafter, in the worse case situation, the crafter will run off with the money/mats and not deliver the item. Or vice-versa, they'd deliver the item and not get paid.
    If you hire a decorator, you take three risks :
    - the person running off with your gold and not doing anything
    - the person decorating according to his/her own taste and not yours
    - the person putting your entire home upside down.

I would never give decorating rights to anyone but a close, trusted friend.

Erm...why so much negativity about a suggestion posted on a game's forum and aimed at other players of said game?o.O Did someone scam you that way or something? Yeah it's very inconvenient within the given system but it doesn't mean it's not possible, it also doesn't mean current system cannot be improved. And most of all it doesn't mean it's stupid of him/her to share his/her thoughts on the matter here...

They really need to alter decorator permissions(or add master decorator or something to the list) to enable furnishing other people's homes. The scam argument is pretty silly, that's like saying there should be no option possible whatsoever for anyone in a guild to withdraw from gbank except the GM. Just because you CAN get scammed doesn't mean a whole huge part of the system should be cut out altogether. Besides, there's super simple solution for "scam" - give master decorators rights to place, but not remove furniture(and do activate the retrieve tab for stuck items but only allow "move" option there). It's easy to pile all the things you don't need in the corner for the owner to remove them.

I've almost fully decorated a friend's house with things of mostly my choice and making just for fun, I'd buy/craft things, mail them to him and he'd unload them in his house. Then we'd occasionally discuss what fits where better and stuff. I had to call on him to add whatever I forgot/thought of lateron/got stuck(which happens more often than you'd expect between the invisible wall getting things stuck starting 3+ m away from ceiling already and things being stuck inside containers such as books in bookcases) so while it was heaps of fun it was extremely inconvenient at times. It's definitely not impossible though. I think I've seen some people mentioning decorating others' homes on eso fashion or some other site like that(one that has houses entries) but I'm not 100% sure and don't have a link. It's just that between the inconvenience of limited decorator permissions and lack of functionality+extremely high cost of housing in general, I think that feature isn't too much in demand.

I'm PC NA btw and people have been telling me to decorate for $$$ for a while but I'm too lazy XD I took months on friend's house and still not fully done there(it's Gardner so fairly big...for me anyway. I like doing stuff detailed).
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »

Erm...why so much negativity about a suggestion posted on a game's forum and aimed at other players of said game?o.O Did someone scam you that way or something?

No, I haven't been scammed. But that's because I've only played that game with close friends. Calling for decorators' services to be developed at a larger scale in the game would call for scams to happen on a larger scale, too. What you call "negativity" is what I call "realism" and it doesn't take a divination lense to figure out what would happen if people started to pay strangers for decorating their houses.

The scam argument is pretty silly, that's like saying there should be no option possible whatsoever for anyone in a guild to withdraw from gbank except the GM. Just because you CAN get scammed doesn't mean a whole huge part of the system should be cut out altogether.

The scam argument isn't silly at all. And it's not comparable with guild banks, where you have the OPTION to allow others to retrieve items, or to prevent them from doing so. (Even then, look at how many guild banks get ransacked and how many people turn then to ZOS asking for justice).
    You don't have many options with decoration : either you let people decorate, or you don't.

Admittedly, ZOS COULD add some extra filtering or options or functionalities, but they won't, because, as I already explained, it would compete with their service of ready-furnished houses which they sell for crowns. That's not an "anti-ZOS" position from me, it's just common sense to realize that ZOS will not develop a feature that will lead them to sell less crown stuff.
    I've almost fully decorated a friend's house with things of mostly my choice and making just for fun, I'd buy/craft things, mail them to him and he'd unload them in his house. Then we'd occasionally discuss what fits where better and stuff. I had to call on him to add whatever I forgot/thought of lateron/got stuck(which happens more often than you'd expect between the invisible wall getting things stuck starting 3+ m away from ceiling already and things being stuck inside containers such as books in bookcases) so while it was heaps of fun it was extremely inconvenient at times. It's definitely not impossible though. I think I've seen some people mentioning decorating others' homes on eso fashion or some other site like that(one that has houses entries) but I'm not 100% sure and don't have a link. It's just that between the inconvenience of limited decorator permissions and lack of functionality+extremely high cost of housing in general, I think that feature isn't too much in demand.

I'm PC NA btw and people have been telling me to decorate for $$$ for a while but I'm too lazy XD I took months on friend's house and still not fully done there(it's Gardner so fairly big...for me anyway. I like doing stuff detailed).

Now you've explained in every possible detail (just like I did with my examples) why decorating for others is doable, nice and fun to do with close friends and a lot of time of your hands, and why it far too complicated to do with strangers as a paying service.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on July 28, 2017 1:08PM
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a market for this in ESO? In good ole Star Wars Galaxies for example, many players made a very nice living being paid to decorate peoples houses. I know there is a Decorator permission on homes, but does anyone actually take advantage of that? The decorator could for example furnish several of their own homes as a resume for prospective customers to view their decorating skills. They could perhaps charge on house size and/or number of furnishings.

I would love to give someone money to decorate my house with my own furnishings, and/or recommendations from the decorator. I searched (albeit briefly) in this forum but was unable to find the answer I was looking for.

I thought about being a decorator myself, as I had a pretty solid rep in another game that revolved pretty much about decorating a house.
    However, the editor in this game is not really that easy to use which makes it quite painful to place some things properly - ie it can take 2 minutes just to place a quill in a ink as it will look good from one angle and completely out of place in another. That means a lot of time required so that service would be really expensive and I'm not sure there will be a market for it.
    On top of that, I'm not even done with my house yet (Hunding's) :p

But if there was a market for it, I would definitely consider being hired as a home designer.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »
    This is an awesome idea.

The only Argonians in my home are the skeletons I've animated to beat up, also the broken skeletons around it.

Seriously!? I have the best idea for a cozy pile of animal dung in the middle of your kitchen. You even get to pick the animal!
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Admittedly, ZOS COULD add some extra filtering or options or functionalities, but they won't, because, as I already explained, it would compete with their service of ready-furnished houses which they sell for crowns. That's not an "anti-ZOS" position from me, it's just common sense to realize that ZOS will not develop a feature that will lead them to sell less crown stuff.

But it won't compete at all.

The reason people buy the furnished version of a house is that it is far cheaper to acquire furniture that way, rather than buying it piecemeal from the store or guild traders, or crafting it.

But do you really think that the vast majority of people leave the furniture in furnished homes in the original places and treat it as a furnishing service? No of course they don't. The first thing they do is move it all around to their own taste, ditch some of it and supplement it with other bought/crafted stuff. The important thing is that they have bought ZOS's ready-furnished homes for the quantity of less expensive furniture, and as such that 'service' will never be under competition from decorators.

• Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd do it easy - I love decorating but don't wanna spend my gold on it most of the time. If you're on PC/NA poke at me.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The scam argument isn't silly at all. And it's not comparable with guild banks, where you have the OPTION to allow others to retrieve items, or to prevent them from doing so. (Even then, look at how many guild banks get ransacked and how many people turn then to ZOS asking for justice).
    You don't have many options with decoration : either you let people decorate, or you don't.

I still don't see an issue with this. Of course you don't have many options with decorations, that's the issue - you don't have ANY options with decorations, while the ideal solution would be 2 separate decorator permissions that'd let them place/retrieve items, like with guildbanks. Don't know the decorator personally? Just let them place but not retrieve items. There, totally possible for others to decorate your house now but impossible to scam you. And all it'd take is just a few lines of code.

I don't understand why ZOS doesn't pay more attention to housing but keeps pushing out overpriced crowns furniture items. You can't just keep pushing out overpriced additions to a limiting sytem with no improvements/updates whatsoever, that's just silly. Housing could be so much more, have so many more people interested and possibly tempted to spend their crowns too if they dedicated 1/10th of the crown store furniture effort into improving actual housing.
  • Luthid
    Luthid
    ✭✭✭
    I've been told by guildmates that I could, and should, decorate other players' homes for a fee, but the process is really time consuming. It's barely something I wanted to spend the time and effort to do on my own homes, I'm not interested in spending my play time doing it for somebody else, even for gold.

I would guess that others who have a "talent" for game decor feel the same.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aurelle1 wrote: »

But it won't compete at all.

The reason people buy the furnished version of a house is that it is far cheaper to acquire furniture that way, rather than buying it piecemeal from the store or guild traders, or crafting it.

But do you really think that the vast majority of people leave the furniture in furnished homes in the original places and treat it as a furnishing service? No of course they don't. The first thing they do is move it all around to their own taste, ditch some of it and supplement it with other bought/crafted stuff. The important thing is that they have bought ZOS's ready-furnished homes for the quantity of less expensive furniture, and as such that 'service' will never be under competition from decorators.

Well, that's how you feel about it and there's nothing to oppose to that, but not everyone feels the same.
    I for one will never consider anything purchased with real life cash as "cheaper" than something bought for virtual gold. That's nonsense to me (but I understand that there are people around for whom real life cash is easier to gather than ingame gold).

Apart from that, I have yet to see a player decorated home that looks nicer than ZOS' furnished houses - which imho look absolutely gorgeous). But that, again, is probably a matter of taste.

I like to decorate my home with ONLY stuff I craft or purchase in the game - but that's because there lies my idea of fun. I know many, many people who have bought the pre-furnished houses because they didn't know how or were too lazy to furnish them by themselves.

Anyway, none of us have figures, so we might both be right to a certain extent...

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on July 28, 2017 8:58PM
  • lasertooth
    lasertooth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

.....Apart from that, I have yet to see a player decorated home that looks nicer than ZOS' furnished houses - which imho look absolutely gorgeous). But that, again, is probably a matter of taste.

My houses are nicer. :D
    LasertoothGM of ESO Grand Designs, Grand Designs Too, and Grand Designs Trinity Xbox/NA
  • lasertooth
    lasertooth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To the OP, I help my friends decorate their houses--It's fun!! We also go tour other people's houses and oooh and ahh at how creative and unique they are. I'm xbox/na if you need some inspiration.

A lot of times you just need help getting started. :)
    LasertoothGM of ESO Grand Designs, Grand Designs Too, and Grand Designs Trinity Xbox/NA
  • ExcaliburESO
    ExcaliburESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    To show off my house i post few pics if u want to see rest tell me! Chek pics and tell what u think!

muubi0jwk4pi.png

x1kseorskkwb.png

Edited by ExcaliburESO on July 28, 2017 7:03PM
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lasertooth wrote: »

.....Apart from that, I have yet to see a player decorated home that looks nicer than ZOS' furnished houses - which imho look absolutely gorgeous). But that, again, is probably a matter of taste.

My houses are nicer. :D

Yup so are mine. Much nicer.

It's not difficult to do a lot better than the ZOS furnished homes, is it. As I said earlier today, the furnished homes are great for basic inexpensive furniture if you are buying from the Crown Store. But who wants to keep a ready-made layout, when you can have such fun arranging it all to your own taste, and adding some special items as and when you get them?

But then of course, as the above poster pointed out, it is a matter of taste.

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Apart from that, I have yet to see a player decorated home that looks nicer than ZOS' furnished houses - which imho look absolutely gorgeous). But that, again, is probably a matter of taste.

I think Zeni homes look really potato tbh :D But you're right, it's a matter of taste. ...it's not that they're ugly per se, but they're very...standard and un-alive. Kind of like a well done 3 star hotel - it's not bad at all but it has nothing special to it and no spirit of the owner(which is understandable given there is no specific owner, but I find that rather boring). There's nothing in the furnished houses to push you away but nothing to attract the gaze either, you just glance over it and forget. It's also always furnished purely by the corresponding race's furniture which, while stylish in a way, is also pretty boring. Even npcs houses don't have purely the owners' race furniture if you look closer.

Hm...here's that Gardner house I'm still decorating :) Warning - loooots of pictures.
    Reading hall/entrance:
    VQUHFHm.png

A7yNNBY.png

My pride, kitchen:
    RKw8WSh.png

Kitchen table coming complete with all the appropriate forks, spoons and knives:)
    xTfLooK.png

Speaking of knives...
    h3NfVl2.png

aKOHB5n.png

This is my baking shelf. Yes, I love baking, shame ESO doesn't have more things baked for furniture :p The sacks on the right have flour and grain and there's a basket of apples to the left because who doesn't like apple pies?
    vCJvIPC.png

The slightly more brutal orc-themed section
    i60rO14.png

skvETge.png

Tuffet land, complete with fire, books and fruits :p
    jsiY87s.png

Pillow land
    rKz9yuj.png

Bedroom:
    LYdrkEW.png

ntNhAEz.png

CcPwX0o.png
    (ignore the mess to the side, that section is still in the works)

• Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina, that is fantastic :)

Do you have other homes you can post pics of?
    Edited by Aurie on July 28, 2017 11:06PM