The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New to eso, looking for tips.

Azuramoonstar
Azuramoonstar
✭✭✭✭
Hi i tried eso a year ago, and enjoyed my time for the short bit I played. (max level was 10), but mostly played ff14. Due to the recent changes to ff14, and the NA community not really handling the changes well, I'm thinking about quitting ff14 for ESO.

A bit of background, I'm a long time mmo player having played ff11 for 7 years, ff14 for 5 years (1.0 launch to stormblood). I try my best to be a team player, and communicate to the best of my ability, I've played all roles in mmo, (tank, healer dps) I'm a long time elder scrolls fan as well, playing morrowind oblivion, and skyrim on the xbox, xbox 360, ps3 and ps4. I'm playing the ps4 version of ESO, and have all the current dlc.

here are a list of questions I have:

As a new player, I'm curious what my expectations are in group content, as a healer/dps/tank?

When does group content start?

What are some of the activities you can do in ESO?

How is group content handled? Who pulls? Who tanks? Who heals?

What is expected in endgame content?

Does ps4 share servers with pc? Or are they separate?

Are there any youtuber's who do guides i should look out for? Any guides i should look up as a new player?

And any general tips are welcome.

I'm trying to put my best foot forward as a new player to ESO, as I've never played an mmo like ESO before. I want to be good, and be a good team mate to my parties so I'm not kicked out "just because" . I'm trying to not go into this mmo blind and be a burden for others in any group content I do.

Thanks for reading, I hope everyone is having a good day, night. afternoon.
Long time mmo player: 2004-[current year]
Long time Elder scrolls player: Xbox launch morrowind.
Follower of the dawn and dusk, keeper of the moon and star.
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a new player, I'm curious what my expectations are in group content, as a healer/dps/tank?
    Not entirely sure what you're after here but if you use the PUG/LFG tool, expect to be abused by randos. Find a good group of people/guild to run with

Pretty early. ESO now scales your character to CP 160 which is the rank of all the mobs in the game. Group (non vet)dungeons can be done at like lvl 10. Find some buddies and go.

Delves/Public dungeons are mostly (not always in public dungeon) solo experiences that you share the space with other players. Team up or solo
    Regular 4 man dungeons have normal, veteran and veteran w/ hardmode difficulty settings. Hardmode being a scroll you read at the last boss that increases difficulty. Trials are your "Raids" but generally shorter than most games. I think there's 5 or 6 of them now. Dragonstar Arena and Maelstrom arena are round based content, difficult, enter a arena and clear it for the next. DS is group, MA is a solo arena, Both have normal and vet difficulties. There is also PVP, lots of questing, achievement hunting, etc.

All dependent on your group. Not sure how to handle who tanks/heals. Your tanks and healers! Any class in this game can fill any role (dps, heal, tank), it just depends how you build it.

You can access "end game" content at CP160. Basically once you hit level 50 you star earning Champion Points at the account level. Once you hit 160 this is where you can get the highest level gear. The CP cap for players is currently 630, so for the real high end stuff most guilds are going to have a minimum CP (they can set it arbitrarily however the see fit) and in some instances for the really high end stuff they will expect a certain amount of DPS if you are DPS spec.

All 3 platforms use their own separate game worlds pc/ps4/xbox

Are there any youtuber's who do guides i should look out for? Any guides i should look up as a new player?
    @MissBizz has a lot of great youtube content for beginners, general guides, etc. @Alcast for specific builds. I suggest you take some time figuring things out for yourself before diving to heavily into build guides

Have fun.
    If you have even the slightest interest in crafting, get started now. Research every day you can.
    Wear at least one piece of each armor weight while leveling (Heavy, Medium, light)

Edit to add: anywhere I mention a "vet" version, this is CP160+ content. Though most groups will probably want you at a higher CP level than that. Depends who, how well you work with them, etc.
    Edited by Sigtric on July 26, 2017 7:15PM

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As a new player, I'm curious what my expectations are in group content, as a healer/dps/tank? - Healer to heal the Group, Tank to taunt and keep the aggro from Bosses and Dangerous mobs. (These are the basic requirements. Advance content requires much more but this'd a start.)

When does group content start? You can start Group content at any level however it is recommended that you at least level up enough skills and acquire decent gear before that. There are numerous guides on web to help you with that.

What are some of the activities you can do in ESO? There are multiple activities you can do here. Questing, dungeons, delves, world bosses, dolmens, RP, Trials, Special events etc are a few of these.

How is group content handled? Who pulls? Who tanks? Who heals? Group content is divided into 4 & 12 man content. in 4 Man usually there are 2 damage dealers, 1 tank and 1 healer. Players equip the skills and Armour accordingly to boost their performance in mentioned roles.

What is expected in endgame content? - In endgame content you are expected to have good knowledge of your class, skills, advanced game mechanics and ability to play in a larger group.

Does ps4 share servers with pc? Or are they separate? Yes. All servers are seperate. PC/X-BOX/PS4 as well they have 2 different server NA & EU.

Are there any youtuber's who do guides i should look out for? Any guides i should look up as a new player? There are many.
    You can just search Youtube i.e Dragon Knight new player leveling or Magica sorc DPS, DK Tank etc and relevant results should be there.

And any general tips are welcome. Since you are new to game. I'd recommend to start atleast 2 characters and enjoy questing with them. While questing, you get to know your characters skills as well as get used to use them. Apart from thsi you should focus on crafting research and leveling. This goes a long way to help you in game. Most important is to enjoy the content and challenges it presents. And eventually you'll find what you are looking for here.

I'm trying to put my best foot forward as a new player to ESO, as I've never played an mmo like ESO before. I want to be good, and be a good team mate to my parties so I'm not kicked out "just because" . I'm trying to not go into this mmo blind and be a burden for others in any group content I do.

Hope this helps.
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sigtric wrote: »
    Not entirely sure what you're after here but if you use the PUG/LFG tool, expect to be abused by randos. Find a good group of people/guild to run with

Pretty early. ESO now scales your character to CP 160 which is the rank of all the mobs in the game. Group (non vet)dungeons can be done at like lvl 10. Find some buddies and go.

Delves/Public dungeons are mostly (not always in public dungeon) solo experiences that you share the space with other players. Team up or solo
    Regular 4 man dungeons have normal, veteran and veteran w/ hardmode difficulty settings. Hardmode being a scroll you read at the last boss that increases difficulty. Trials are your "Raids" but generally shorter than most games. I think there's 5 or 6 of them now. Dragonstar Arena and Maelstrom arena are round based content, difficult, enter a arena and clear it for the next. DS is group, MA is a solo arena, Both have normal and vet difficulties. There is also PVP, lots of questing, achievement hunting, etc.

All dependent on your group. Not sure how to handle who tanks/heals. Your tanks and healers! Any class in this game can fill any role (dps, heal, tank), it just depends how you build it.

You can access "end game" content at CP160. Basically once you hit level 50 you star earning Champion Points at the account level. Once you hit 160 this is where you can get the highest level gear. The CP cap for players is currently 630, so for the real high end stuff most guilds are going to have a minimum CP (they can set it arbitrarily however the see fit) and in some instances for the really high end stuff they will expect a certain amount of DPS if you are DPS spec.

@MissBizz has a lot of great youtube content for beginners, general guides, etc. @Alcast for specific builds. I suggest you take some time figuring things out for yourself before diving to heavily into build guides

Have fun.
    If you have even the slightest interest in crafting, get started now. Research every day you can.
    Wear at least one piece of each armor weight while leveling (Heavy, Medium, light)

Edit to add: anywhere I mention a "vet" version, this is CP160+ content. Though most groups will probably want you at a higher CP level than that. Depends who, how well you work with them, etc.

thanks for the reply.

for this question; As a new player, I'm curious what my expectations are in group content, as a healer/dps/tank?

I was looking to what is expect as each role, as a tank: what am I expected to do? as a healer what am I expected to do, as a dps what am I expected to do?

I'm coming from ff14 where each role had a set of expectations in group content, such as Tanks in ff14 were expected pull large groups of mobs and "stance dance" between their dps and tank stances so they could tank and pump out high dps so mechanics could be skipped. Healers were expected to dps 90% of the time only heal as a last resort so mobs died fast, and to skip mechanics. Dps were to dps, in away that you clipped off cool down skills to produce a high amount of damage in a short time.

I'm just looking for What eso players do so I have a basic idea before jumping in doing group content.

Also what are delves and What does cp stand for?
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    ToxicPAWS wrote: »

As a new player, I'm curious what my expectations are in group content, as a healer/dps/tank? - Healer to heal the Group, Tank to taunt and keep the aggro from Bosses and Dangerous mobs. (These are the basic requirements. Advance content requires much more but this'd a start.)

When does group content start? You can start Group content at any level however it is recommended that you at least level up enough skills and acquire decent gear before that. There are numerous guides on web to help you with that.

What are some of the activities you can do in ESO? There are multiple activities you can do here. Questing, dungeons, delves, world bosses, dolmens, RP, Trials, Special events etc are a few of these.

How is group content handled? Who pulls? Who tanks? Who heals? Group content is divided into 4 & 12 man content. in 4 Man usually there are 2 damage dealers, 1 tank and 1 healer. Players equip the skills and Armour accordingly to boost their performance in mentioned roles.

What is expected in endgame content? - In endgame content you are expected to have good knowledge of your class, skills, advanced game mechanics and ability to play in a larger group.

Does ps4 share servers with pc? Or are they separate? Yes. All servers are seperate. PC/X-BOX/PS4 as well they have 2 different server NA & EU.

Are there any youtuber's who do guides i should look out for? Any guides i should look up as a new player? There are many.
    You can just search Youtube i.e Dragon Knight new player leveling or Magica sorc DPS, DK Tank etc and relevant results should be there.

And any general tips are welcome. Since you are new to game. I'd recommend to start atleast 2 characters and enjoy questing with them. While questing, you get to know your characters skills as well as get used to use them. Apart from thsi you should focus on crafting research and leveling. This goes a long way to help you in game. Most important is to enjoy the content and challenges it presents. And eventually you'll find what you are looking for here.

Hope this helps.

Another great post, any chance you can link some of the stuff you mentioned? I'm a bit lost to what to google.

Also any chance you can explain some of the ESO base lingo. (i understand mmo lingo just ESO lingo is a bit confusing atm)
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun.

thanks for the reply.

for this question; As a new player, I'm curious what my expectations are in group content, as a healer/dps/tank?

I was looking to what is expect as each role, as a tank: what am I expected to do? as a healer what am I expected to do, as a dps what am I expected to do?

I'm coming from ff14 where each role had a set of expectations in group content, such as Tanks in ff14 were expected pull large groups of mobs and "stance dance" between their dps and tank stances so they could tank and pump out high dps so mechanics could be skipped. Healers were expected to dps 90% of the time only heal as a last resort so mobs died fast, and to skip mechanics. Dps were to dps, in away that you clipped off cool down skills to produce a high amount of damage in a short time.

I'm just looking for What eso players do so I have a basic idea before jumping in doing group content.

For the most part, tanking and healing roles in ESO will be similar to any other MMO.

There's not any stance dancing/twisting going on here, and generally in ESO the tanks will tank the biggest threat(s) while the DPS might facetank the trash mobs in a large pull themselves. Expecting Healers to DPS just depends on the group of people you're running with. If it is a PUG and you don't know the people and you queued as heals I would focus on that and DPS when heals aren't needed.

Delves are little "dungeons" littered across the landscape that will have a skyshard (collect 3 for a skill point to buy skills) and a boss in it that can drop set gear, and you'll get an achievement for clearing it.

CP is Champion point. It is the progression system after you levelcap at 50. Think of it sort of like paragon points in Diablo 3 if you've played that.

Max level gear requires you to be at least champion point rank 160 to equip, but you can spend up to 630 champion points to improve your character. This allotment of points has a hard cap of 3600 total earnable, but they have a limit in place that raises by usually 30 points once a quarter. Sometime in august the CP cap will raise to 660.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Champion

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭

Have fun.

thanks for the reply.

For the most part, tanking and healing roles in ESO will be similar to any other MMO.

There's not any stance dancing/twisting going on here, and generally in ESO the tanks will tank the biggest threat(s) while the DPS might facetank the trash mobs in a large pull themselves. Expecting Healers to DPS just depends on the group of people you're running with. If it is a PUG and you don't know the people and you queued as heals I would focus on that and DPS when heals aren't needed.

Delves are little "dungeons" littered across the landscape that will have a skyshard (collect 3 for a skill point to buy skills) and a boss in it that can drop set gear, and you'll get an achievement for clearing it.

CP is Champion point. It is the progression system after you levelcap at 50. Think of it sort of like paragon points in Diablo 3 if you've played that.

Max level gear requires you to be at least champion point rank 160 to equip, but you can spend up to 630 champion points to improve your character. This allotment of points has a hard cap of 3600 total earnable, but they have a limit in place that raises by usually 30 points once a quarter. Sometime in august the CP cap will raise to 660.

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Champion

never played diablo, but sound like the merit point system from ff11.

clicked the link, its is exactly like the merit point system of ff11. :)
    Edited by Azuramoonstar on July 26, 2017 7:43PM
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Have fun.

thanks for the reply.

Delves = dungeons but delves are in the open world and not instanced.

CP = Champion points - you earn them once you hit level 50, and they are account wide (unlike levels)

http://tinyurl.com/Apps-ESO-Scrub-Guide Is written by my friend @mApplinator and explains your duties in roles. If you are looking to tank, you may want to read up specifically about aggro in ESO, as it works directly off only a couple skills in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/MissBizz is my youtube (I have a video actually explaining differences between delves, dungeons etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/user/littlejohn117 is Alcast's youtube
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »

Have fun.

thanks for the reply.

Delves = dungeons but delves are in the open world and not instanced.

CP = Champion points - you earn them once you hit level 50, and they are account wide (unlike levels)

http://tinyurl.com/Apps-ESO-Scrub-Guide Is written by my friend @mApplinator and explains your duties in roles. If you are looking to tank, you may want to read up specifically about aggro in ESO, as it works directly off only a couple skills in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/MissBizz is my youtube (I have a video actually explaining differences between delves, dungeons etc.)

https://www.youtube.com/user/littlejohn117 is Alcast's youtube

thanks very much. :) I'll add these to my bookmarks.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and rather than a predetermined type of dance as you mentioned, pretty much you need to learn the mechanics of the fights - and stay out of the red. :) Sometimes tanks are allowed to stay in the red.
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Curson
    Curson
    ✭✭

1. Best tanks imo are DKs with heavy armor. Tank has to make sure he/she is taunting mobs away from the healer/dps and gathering them for AoE. DPS should avoid standing in bad and target healers in the mob first of course. Healers could rely on HoTs like the Warden, but I prefer the Templar style of crit healing with breath of life (templar ult is an amazing heal when magicka gets low or mechanics start dealing a lot of damage).
    2. Level 10 you can start queueing in the Group Finder (there are some issues but hopefully you don't run into too many of them)
    3. Low level activities are the quest lines, delves (be careful on the boss as a low level and be sure to get the sky shard!!), world bosses (definitely don't try to solo), and Anchors (don't solo as a low level new to the game... but people should be around to help eventually since many players farm Anchors for the jewelry drops)
    4. You will likely run into confusion among low level players in group content as to who is pulling and if they are even using taunt to begin with, as well as squishy players and bad healers, but hopefully this won't happen too often
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I dont have much too add to all these great posts but I will say 2 things:

1. Train horse speed to 60 first.
    2. Welcome!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    \

Time for my guides again (Open the Spoilers):

Leveling your first character:
    First leveling character? Forget about Builds right now. No need, your handicapped anyway by the game so you are way more powerful than you need to be. Instead take advantage of this buff to properly level your character so you can be deadly when it matters later on when you are not buffed by the level scaling. In other words, you can create a rotation that makes you think your all that and a biscuit because of the scaling buffs, then get a rude awakening come Champ Ranks when you are on your own.

In other words, right now if your wearing any gear, the mobs will die.

1. Have one class skill on your bar at all times, swapping them out once the skill reaches Morph stage. Worry about your Morphs later.
    2. Have one weapon skill on your bar at all times, again until Morph stage
    3. Wear a mix of all 3 armor types so they all level about equally
    4. From L1 to L20, invest in attack skills and actives
    5. From L20 to L35 start investing in Passives and Support Skills
    6. From L35 to L50 start investing in Morphs (but only if all your class skills are at the Morph Stage), Passives and Crafting Skills
    7 From CP10 to CP160 try out dropped sets to see which ones fit your playstyle, don't worry about traits right now, fill in passives and actives you may have missed
    8. Grind on Dolmens to level your Fighters Guild, or find the Lore Books to level Mages Guild
    9. Do some stealing to level Legerdemain, best source for money in the game
    10. Decon every piece of gear you get that you are not going to use immediately to level equipment crafting, no need to invest skills points until Champ Ranks.

Combat Tips
    Combat in this game comes down to Skill Rotations, with Light or Heavy Attacks interspersed. So, it's more like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3 dead. Pick your skill rotations so that one skill will set up or buff another skill. For example, use a skill that Snares, then a skill that gives Damage over Time to an area so the snared mobs spend longer in pain, then use a spam damage skill. This is just one example.

Once you learn a good rotation, then you can weave in light or heavy attacks between the skills to extend the resource pool you play from. So it's more like 1, LMB, 2, LMB,3, LMB, 4, LMB, 1 Dead. Then once you learn how to weave attacks, then you can start animation canceling to up your DPS.

So, attacks are not just a spam of the Left Mouse Button, but an application of your skills and weapon attacks.

You add in Blocking (reduce damage), Bashing (interrupting a caster or heavy attack wind up), Dodge Rolling (double click on a WASD key to avoid damage and get out of red quickly). Throw in some terrain advantage, and your basically a Mobile, Agile and Hostile wrecking machine.

General Advice:
    If you need Gold, engage the Legerdemain System and Steal and Fence. There are many areas that are rich in things to steal with few to no NPCs around so the risk is next to 0.

Gear, with Enchants that help your character is important. Not meaning you need the best set, you just need something. And, don't forget Jewelry, either normal stuff, or something that is part of a set. Just have something in all your slots. Note, while leveling, try to wear a mix of armor weights so they all level up. Food can help, Blue for early levels, Purple for higher ones.

Have a Class Skill and a Weapon skill on your bar at all times so you can get those leveled. Mix in a 5th skill to level up and use along the way. Once you get a skill to Morph stage, you may want to slot another one and get that to Morph rather than build the previous one all the way up. Save maxing your skills for later.

World Bosses are not designed to be solo'd. Wait for other players to show up, or send out a Zone chat that such and such World Boss is up, people will show up, as they are farming dropped set items.

Join a good guild, sometimes you can find one by running with a random player, sometimes from zone chat, sometimes from a thread on the boards here. You can always drop a guild, so don't worry about doing that. There is no black list unless you are a complete tool, and while there is still no list, word will get around if you just dump on everyone all the time. But, try a guild, then leave for whatever reason? No worries there.

Delve Bosses you can solo, if your gear is decent (not the best, just decent) and you have some skills in your rotation. Its all about skills in the game, sometimes weaved in with Light or Heavy Attacks, sometimes just skill rotations. The rotation you use needs to make sense to you and your build, so it will be different for everyone. However, some skills will buff the next skill you use, or next set of skills you use, so maybe use that first. Some skills are Damage over Time, so apply those early, but don't spam them until you need to apply it again. Some skills are cheap cost damage dealers, so spam those, but not so quickly you use up your resources. Weaving in Light or Heavy Attacks, with or without animation canceling, can help.

Finally, combat in this game requires you to be Mobile, Agile and Hostile. Move around, attack from advantage. Learn to Block, Dodge Roll, Interrupt (Bash), Stay out of Red etc, and you can soon take very little damage while in combat, at least most of the time.

Good Luck.

Finally, everyone thinks they need to get to L50 or CP160 to be effective in this game. That is not your primary goal, but it is part of it. What your primary goal is to gain 150 to 160 skill points to be able to fully invest in your Classes, main armor and primary weapon. You need more if your going to mix your armors, have a second weapon, do alliance war stuff and craft to any extent.
    Edited by Nestor on July 26, 2017 7:49PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, and rather than a predetermined type of dance as you mentioned, pretty much you need to learn the mechanics of the fights - and stay out of the red. :) Sometimes tanks are allowed to stay in the red.

ok good to know. It the same in ff14.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice is to make one character in each of the classes, and start logging in every day to pay that 250 gold per day for mount training on them at the stables. That way, if you decide to play as a different class, you'll have their mounts trained up. You can change their race, skills, attributes and champion points, but not their class.

• Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jitterbug wrote: »

2. Welcome!

how do you train horse speed?
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2. Welcome!

You go to any stables and click on the stablemaster. You can tell where the stables are by bringing up your map and looking for a horse head icon.
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    My advice is to make one character in each of the classes, and start logging in every day to pay that 250 gold per day for mount training on them at the stables. That way, if you decide to play as a different class, you'll have their mounts trained up. You can change their race, skills, attributes and champion points, but not their class.

oh, thanks for replying to my question as I ask it. XD
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

2. Welcome!

Visit a stablemaster! You are actually training your riding skill, so *any* mount you use on that character will have the improved speed/stamina/pack space. You can find a stablemaster by looking in main cities for a horse icon :)
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    \

Time for my guides again (Open the Spoilers):

Leveling your first character:
    First leveling character? Forget about Builds right now. No need, your handicapped anyway by the game so you are way more powerful than you need to be. Instead take advantage of this buff to properly level your character so you can be deadly when it matters later on when you are not buffed by the level scaling. In other words, you can create a rotation that makes you think your all that and a biscuit because of the scaling buffs, then get a rude awakening come Champ Ranks when you are on your own.

In other words, right now if your wearing any gear, the mobs will die.

1. Have one class skill on your bar at all times, swapping them out once the skill reaches Morph stage. Worry about your Morphs later.
    2. Have one weapon skill on your bar at all times, again until Morph stage
    3. Wear a mix of all 3 armor types so they all level about equally
    4. From L1 to L20, invest in attack skills and actives
    5. From L20 to L35 start investing in Passives and Support Skills
    6. From L35 to L50 start investing in Morphs (but only if all your class skills are at the Morph Stage), Passives and Crafting Skills
    7 From CP10 to CP160 try out dropped sets to see which ones fit your playstyle, don't worry about traits right now, fill in passives and actives you may have missed
    8. Grind on Dolmens to level your Fighters Guild, or find the Lore Books to level Mages Guild
    9. Do some stealing to level Legerdemain, best source for money in the game
    10. Decon every piece of gear you get that you are not going to use immediately to level equipment crafting, no need to invest skills points until Champ Ranks.

Combat Tips
    Combat in this game comes down to Skill Rotations, with Light or Heavy Attacks interspersed. So, it's more like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3 dead. Pick your skill rotations so that one skill will set up or buff another skill. For example, use a skill that Snares, then a skill that gives Damage over Time to an area so the snared mobs spend longer in pain, then use a spam damage skill. This is just one example.

Once you learn a good rotation, then you can weave in light or heavy attacks between the skills to extend the resource pool you play from. So it's more like 1, LMB, 2, LMB,3, LMB, 4, LMB, 1 Dead. Then once you learn how to weave attacks, then you can start animation canceling to up your DPS.

So, attacks are not just a spam of the Left Mouse Button, but an application of your skills and weapon attacks.

You add in Blocking (reduce damage), Bashing (interrupting a caster or heavy attack wind up), Dodge Rolling (double click on a WASD key to avoid damage and get out of red quickly). Throw in some terrain advantage, and your basically a Mobile, Agile and Hostile wrecking machine.

Finally, everyone thinks they need to get to L50 or CP160 to be effective in this game. That is not your primary goal, but it is part of it. What your primary goal is to gain 150 to 160 skill points to be able to fully invest in your Classes, main armor and primary weapon. You need more if your going to mix your armors, have a second weapon, do alliance war stuff and craft to any extent.

thanks for this.
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭

2. Welcome!

Visit a stablemaster! You are actually training your riding skill, so *any* mount you use on that character will have the improved speed/stamina/pack space. You can find a stablemaster by looking in main cities for a horse icon :)

and it is shared account wide?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I added one more for General Advice
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No, but it applies to every mount that character uses.

Edited by SydneyGrey on July 26, 2017 7:55PM
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »

No, but it applies to every mount that character uses.

ok ty
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tip of the day for new players
    When you see someone cry on the forum, post this pic.

8MGjw.gif

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the the tips and advice. Very much appreciate it.

in ff14 most ppl just say "google it" or "watch a video" and expect to know what to google or which video to watch.

I'm very grateful for the amount of tips I've got, and how well written they are. :)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might want to try out PvP now during the event, Kyne is for low level players.
    If you are an stamina build: medium armor and weapon skill mostly you will need the pvp skills.
    Just join type LFG once in cyrodil, follow group and stay in the back, even an inexperienced player help, do sieges, and support, sniping is also effective.

if you are an magic build cyrodil is an nice place to practice healing.
    In short in ESO its two build types for all classes, magic build who put all point into magic and uses staffs and mostly light armor, stamina build uses dual wield, two hand or heavy armor, shield and sword as tanks
    You can change this later

Dungeons, as other say you can start from level 10, they are pretty fun but random, so sometimes you get 3 high level players and you have problem keeping up with them, other times you get 3 who behave like headless chickens and the group fails.

Warning / Note that if you have all the DLC this is an downside then running random dungeons at low level.
    You have an huge chance getting the hard DLC dungeons, this will easy get you kicked or get into groups who fails.
    You are probably better off starting on top and work you way trough them, until level 30-40.

Finally get into some nice guilds, ask for advice and get some to craft you some gear.
    Crafted training gear makes you twice as strong as random drops.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Sru
    Sru
    ✭✭✭
    Some stuff I wish I had learned earlier :
    • Pick up any resource node you see - free gold or will help you in crafting. One point into the ability to see nodes easily is worth it
    • Get the addon (if on PC) to show you where stuff is on the map - reduce frustration a lot
    • Loot barrels, chests, anything really. These often contain loot to sell, recipes that could be v.profitable (some can sell for 200k gold or more) or wearable stuff
    • Don't stress about gear until CP160 - dropped or a crafted set every 10-20 levels is more than good enough to get you through quests and overland stuff
    • Looting will also get you food ingredients.
    • Level provisioning and alchemy skills even if you don't want to be a crafter. Not only can you then make your own potions and food (saving gold) but the skills allow these to last longer. Top alchemy skill allows potions to last longer than the cooldown before you can consume another. Can be important later for hard fights and some PvP
    • Even if you hate PvP, do there sometimes to get the Alliance skills - if you run a nightblade, this is about the only way to get a totally reliable heal (called vigour). Also, under lvl 50, the campaign is not full of people who just live there.
    • Some classes are absolutely easier to run with than others - I'd recommend staying away from stamina nightblade until you are fine with precisely times rotations. You will still do most content but it will be a lot harder.
    • Pickpocketing : great source of gold and good stuff
    • When in a guild, you can port to the nearest wayshrine of any member by right clicking on their name and selecting "travel to player"
    • Many zones have daily quests as do the fighters, mages and thieves. Good source of XP and reasonable chance of gear
    • If you are going to craft, then doing everything on one character is a royal pain at the beginning but will pay dividends later. Means only one character has to learn the motifs etc. Worst case, split between 2. But each one really does need alchemy and provisioning. With help (people giving you stuff) you can do each in a few hours max.
    • Join one trading guild and sell stuff - there are good addons that help you know the recent sale prices
    • Join one casual PvE guild for the good chat and help
    • Sadly, the grouping tool is only as good as the people using it. You might get an amazing mix of people to do a dungeon but equally you'll be faced with utter idiots. Don't stress the latter - either leave the group or use it as a learning exercise :)
    Edited by Sru on July 27, 2017 8:31AM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good advice!

Ummm....

-Throw "keen eye" into all the crafting skills - or at LEAST Alchemy (#1) and Clothier (#2); leather is easy to find or decon(struct at a crafting station), metal is easy to find or decon, but actual cloth can be tricky, especially at high levels.

-if you play PC, use an addon to make it easier to pick up books/skyshards as you are near them.

-If you know anyone in-game, make an agreement to send eachother "return" mails (mail back and forth as your inventory fills up, with "return" in the header, you will know to return it to each other) (cheaper than buying a 'portable banker' via the crown store) so you don't have to stop in the middle of an adventure and sell/deconstruct things.

-when you are just about to turn in a quest, make sure that what is displayed on your current skill bar are skills that you haven't topped out yet (max use of experience).
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Azuramoonstar
    Azuramoonstar
    ✭✭✭✭
    again thanks for all the great tips.

I made a test/ noob/bs character to explore around and get an idea how the game works. This way I'm free to make mistakes. I have a character I set up to play more seriously when I feel ready to.

And to clear something up, I play on the ps4. I though i mentioned it, but it may have been over looked.

But again thanks for the help. I do have a question, how many skill points do you get in game? I'm following miss blizz advice on leveling and just a lil confused what to do next. So far I'm putting a point in all trees to get all the trees leveled. And been using my points to unlock each skill, in each tree.

Is this correct or did I make a mistake?

My test character is a nightblade bow user Bosmer.