The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Housing, storage, NOW?

• Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, there needs to be storage added to housing NOW
    Housing definitely needs it. At the very LEAST it needs weapon and armour display plaques/mannequins, which would solve two issues at once:
    1. Extra storage, but only for specific item types so as not to remove value from bank space and crafting bags.
    2. Personalization, helping to make your home stand out even more from other people's, and giving us the ability to create armouries that display all the unique items we've hoarded.

That's one of the main reasons I haven't bought a house yet. I can already teleport to every house in the entire game, fully furnished, from anywhere in the world without buying them. All buying allows me to do is rearrange things lol. So I need those unique-to-me display options, and ideally I need the item limits doubled or tripled. Then sell me a huge plot of land with no house so I can build my own from the ground up, avoiding loading screen doors. I'd happily buy a house then!
  • Whatelse73b14_ESO
    Whatelse73b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    With the other MMOs I play, it seems there is much more space allocated for storage, especially in houses. (LOTRO & SWTOR) Though in other MMOs you don't only have one account bank for all characters, they have character storage too.

I've been away and recently came back. The trouble I'm having is with saving items to get researched for traits among my characters so I can get traits done. That and those pesky treasure maps (along with the surveys too). I keep having to store stuff on characters just so I can trade bother items among characters to gear them better and get the research done. It can be quite taxing and I'm at 110 slots for bank storage right now.

I haven't unlocked any houses yet and I only have 3 housing items stored in my bank at this point.
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I'd like something similar the crafting bag, but specific to one house. Maybe that you buy as an upgrade or furniture item from the crown store.

That would not only be 'weaker' than the crafting bag, thereby preserving some advantage for ESO Plus, but it would be something ESO Plus members might still find value in. House specific storage would let you share some materials with friends / guildmates (by giving them access to the house) but not necessarily all. You could keep some in reserve in the ESO Plus crafting bag or in another house.
  • omc_seamonkeyub17_ESO
    I'm a way older gamer, yea WoW, been there done that but, if any of you are familiar with Asheron's Call (launched in 99'), well there was storage in the form of a chest. Number of chest's was dependent on the size of the home. First and foremost houses were a little work to get, in order to obtain a writ you had to collect a ton of different items from a quest, then using the writ and in game currency to purchase your home, IF one was available. When a new settlement arrived you had to camp it, kid you not players literally lined up at a house incase someone logged off. Anyhow if that old A** game...I mean OLD, could work in a chest for an apartment and standard home, and multiple chests and portals for a mansion back in 05' this can be done now. Also back then a small house had roughly 60 hooks, hang what ever you want on them. I think it is a matter of developers being lazy, again my own opinion. This has been done before, it's not some new technology. If I were them I would give an option of a chest + increased hooks for a monthly maintenance fee (Gold or crowns), if crowns are chosen, this means more money for them and convenience for us!

OK, Stepping off my decrepit soap box now LOL!
    ~~~Bravo Zulu~~~
  • Heroeric1337
    Heroeric1337
    ✭✭✭
    Would be nice to have storage that links to your bank. Other then that, id just like to see armor stands you can customize and stuff
  • Bonzodog01
    Bonzodog01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, time to inject a bit of technical muster in here;

Its not like the devs didn't think of this - they did.

However, at the end of the day, from a technical standpoint, all inventories are databases.

The entire database problem is one that won't go away. Your account bank is a db file stored on the server based on your account details;

Your characters personal inventory is a separate db file based on your char name with account detail.

However, its almost impossible for them reliably create a db for housing storage as there has to be something to set it against.

With db's creating sub-directories and getting the server to read them is an intensive task. Sure, your housing is logged against your account, then there is a db file containing details of items placed in the house. However, with storage you are then talking about creating the house as the main object, then a chest as a sub directory containing the db of all items in it.

Anyone thats an expert in db's will tell you of the endless bugs associated with nested objects and trees.

We try to avoid that kind of thing in professional coding if we can, especially on a large multi-user server. It gets ugly, and the retrieval times and reliability go downhill the more nested items you create.

So in short, the answer is No. Its possible but very messy and would create more bugs than they would want to deal with.
    Xbox One - EU - EP/DC
    Trying and failing to hold the walls of his Templar house up since 2015
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bonzodog01 wrote: »
    Ok, time to inject a bit of technical muster in here;

Its not like the devs didn't think of this - they did.

However, at the end of the day, from a technical standpoint, all inventories are databases.

The entire database problem is one that won't go away. Your account bank is a db file stored on the server based on your account details;

Your characters personal inventory is a separate db file based on your char name with account detail.

However, its almost impossible for them reliably create a db for housing storage as there has to be something to set it against.

With db's creating sub-directories and getting the server to read them is an intensive task. Sure, your housing is logged against your account, then there is a db file containing details of items placed in the house. However, with storage you are then talking about creating the house as the main object, then a chest as a sub directory containing the db of all items in it.

Anyone thats an expert in db's will tell you of the endless bugs associated with nested objects and trees.

We try to avoid that kind of thing in professional coding if we can, especially on a large multi-user server. It gets ugly, and the retrieval times and reliability go downhill the more nested items you create.

So in short, the answer is No. Its possible but very messy and would create more bugs than they would want to deal with.

Player housing already have their own separate data bases because you basically store furniture in them already and now as we speak. And quite a bit of furniture at that - especially if you were to take into account a huge home coupled with an eso + account. So the technical argument doesn't hold up to logic - because player houses are already storing more items than a character's bank.

It seems to me that this was a choice by the development team so as not to take value away from being a subscriber - since one of the most valuable aspects of a subscription is the extra room via the crafting bag. I doubt technical limitations were the concern.
    Edited by Jeremy on July 12, 2017 11:54PM
  • Akrasjel
    Akrasjel
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, there does not need to be storage in your housing
    Why waste time to implement/code new storage in houses whne one could simply increase the exisitng ones, and so they did for ESO+ only tho. ;)
    [PC][EU][Daggerfall Covenant]
    Akrasjel Lanate - Imperial Nightblade | 50 | CP900+
    Born: 2E 551

Member of: | Traders of the Covenant | Hammerfell Trading | Imperial Trading Company |
    Houses: Strident Springs Demesne,

• emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Darkstorne wrote: »
    Housing definitely needs it. At the very LEAST it needs weapon and armour display plaques/mannequins, which would solve two issues at once:
    1. Extra storage, but only for specific item types so as not to remove value from bank space and crafting bags.
    2. Personalization, helping to make your home stand out even more from other people's, and giving us the ability to create armouries that display all the unique items we've hoarded.

I agree. storage for only specific kinds of items is the best way to go (because I'm pretty sure the bank/crafting bag are the reasons the devs are rejecting house storage atm)
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Aurie
    Aurie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, if you have ESO+ with crafting bag/double bank space plus multiple alts with their invenntories, housing storage kinda isn't so vital.

If you don't have those, then it's a different matter.

What is vital is massively raising the item cap.
  • eirinnpryderi
    eirinnpryderi
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah....even with 7 characters and eso plus my 480 slots bank is almost full due to the amount of sets that I have
  • POps75p
    POps75p
    ✭✭✭✭
    Housing needs storage and eso+ subs need more value after the introduction of chapters, so give eso+ subs housing storage crates/chests.

this could happen, especially since a bunch have quit and or dropped plus
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have an alternative solution . . .
    i still believe we do not so much need more storage - we already have so many ways to get so much storage now - but we need more functional storage.

right now you can have on one account 14 chars at 200 each and a bank at 480... thats well over 3k storage so you run into a problem of what next?

Adding simple storage to housing is not going to significantly add to that massive number unless it is also likely to make some of the others obsolete - and they wont do that. They just are not gonna add things to housing on any scale that makes the other options worse. it makes no sense.

but IMo "better use" of the storage we have is not at all a bad idea.

Give me armor racks or mannequins where i can setup a full load of armor and weapons plus 8 quick slots all stored and ready to go. then let any character go up and swap out theirs with that one with a click - or swap/take one at a time. this way i can have more build focused storage. and not so many piece of this piece of that stored.

Give me a cabinet that creates a nameable storage unit so i can have my "poisons" collection or my "necropotence" collection.

Whether these are additional storage or they "tie-up" some existing storage is not important to me.

if they want to go with "simple more storage" then IMO treat it like horses... up to 60 total slots per house - common containers store 5 pc per crate, green 10, blue 15, purple 30 and gold 60. So you can go cheap and eat up housing slots or go pricey and just eat up one. But either way a max of 60 per house or maybe scale it with house capacity like 1/10 of furnishing limits.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• NeillMcAttack
    NeillMcAttack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rev Rielle wrote: »
    Too many players collect too many sets. At most you need four sets: PvP; DPS; Tank; Healer.
    The game has never been designed (or is it necessary) for us to collect a whole swathe of different sets, useful each only for a particular niche.

Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly enjoy storage in my home, but it is certainly not something that the game needs.

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. And I might add that this is a purely PvE statement to make. The ability to create unique builds for niche roles is what makes the game diverse and interesting. Running storm knight, with red mountain in a frost staff build while not being optimum is a hell of a lot of fun. Having the ability to make this possible is a headache. But one I'm attempting to struggle with because you know, FUN.

Let's take just group dungeons, and just gear sets. No monster helms, no trial sets, no overland sets, no crafted sets.
    19 grp dungeons, 3 sets each. 57 sets. To mix and match effectively you need at least 5 slots of each. But with jewellery and weapons to guarantee you can build into any slots you want is a total of, just counting two weapon slots, 12 x 57 different slots. 684 inventory spaces. That is if you only want one trait on your weapons or gear.

For me sets are the real trophies, the real collectibles, and the real goals. Because they give me options, and ensure gameplay doesn't get stale, ironically whilst collecting them.

I'm never quick to dismantle any gear I get and have regretted dismantling many pieces.
    PC EU - NoCP PvP, is real PvP
    Tiidehunter Nord StamDK EP PvP Main
    Legion Commander Tresdin Stamplar DC PvE Main
    Sephirith Altmer MagPlar EP Gondar the Bounty Hunter Khajiit StamBlade DC
    The Dirge Redguard StamNecro EP Disruptor Stormcrafter Nord StamSorc AD
    Lone Druid Bosmer Stam Warden EP Necro-Phos Argonian MagBlade AD
    @ McAttack in game
    Played since beta, and then on console at release, until the game became unplayable on console.
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Console, personal guild bank baby.
  • caninepastaub17_ESO
    caninepastaub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I find inventory management one of the burdens of this game. As I progress through the game I see wonderful artistry in some of the weapons and armor I come across. What would make me really happy would be skyrim style racks where I could display some of the beautiful staffs and swords, some armor dummies to display the amazing armor, and a few bowls to pop pretty stuff in to decorate with. It needn't compete all that much with bank space but there could be purchasable upgrades beyond mere decor that increase sets stored on dummies and allow fast piece swapping.

And silly as it was, I loved making piles of cheese. Miss that.

I am holding off buying a larger house because without these things it's just not worth it to me. But I would drop some serious resources in one if I could.
  • caninepastaub17_ESO
    caninepastaub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    TOTALLY forgot to mention, I am dying for shelves or display cases for all the bound treasures and crap I've picked up. The skyrim display cases were fabulous.