Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

First Tank Attempt

UncannyLinderman
UncannyLinderman
✭✭✭
So, even with over two years console experience under my belt in mostly PVE on Xbox I'm only just now since switching to the ps4 learning tons by the day that's made my stamina warden capable of decent dps, sustainability and survivability in dungeons and PvP. What I want to do now is try to get a tank build going. So... where do I even start? My base is a level three DK Orc. Fresh off the boat, so to speak, in Vvardenfell. Do I dump into health? What sort of skills are ideal? I'm currently using sword and board but it's so early I can easily change things up now. I'm asking because I've only ever done dps builds and even then only recently really learned to tweak and tinker things to make it work. Tank is a whole new territory for me but I absolutely want to learn. Any help is appreciated ahead of time.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gonna say this, at the moment, don't worry about it, level your skills and armor and get skill points. Don't be afraid to test your way through it. Its not easy leveling as a tank but it is doable, just remember you need to be able to deal a bit of damage while you are soloing. And don't worry about morphs, you can always redo morphs for a small price, take what you think sounds good. But in terms of attributes, I would go all HP while I leveled if I was Leveling as a tank.

But for some morphs I would recommend:

Puncture -> Pierce Armor
    Low Slash -> Heroic Slash
    Defensive Posture -> Absorb Magic

Spiked Armor -> Hardened Armor
    Dark Talons -> Choking Talons
    Inhale -> Deep Breath

Fiery Grip -> Unrelenting Grip
    Obsidian Shield -> Igneous Shield

There are obviously more skills that people use but those were some quick common ones that almost all DK tanks use regardless of specs.
  • UncannyLinderman
    UncannyLinderman
    ✭✭✭
    Gonna say this, at the moment, don't worry about it, level your skills and armor and get skill points. Don't be afraid to test your way through it. Its not easy leveling as a tank but it is doable, just remember you need to be able to deal a bit of damage while you are soloing. And don't worry about morphs, you can always redo morphs for a small price, take what you think sounds good. But in terms of attributes, I would go all HP while I leveled if I was Leveling as a tank.

Puncture -> Pierce Armor

Inhale -> Deep Breath

There are obviously more skills that people use but those were some quick common ones that almost all DK tanks use regardless of specs.

Awesome start. I've leveled plenty of characters so I know all about respec later on, but I figure the more I can get in the groove of playing with appropriate skills for tanking as I go, the easier it'll be later when I max out. I'm just so new to the tank concept because I simply never tried the route that guidelines like this help me assemble a general path to take.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Puncture -> Pierce Armor

Inhale -> Deep Breath

Awesome start. I've leveled plenty of characters so I know all about respec later on, but I figure the more I can get in the groove of playing with appropriate skills for tanking as I go, the easier it'll be later when I max out. I'm just so new to the tank concept because I simply never tried the route that guidelines like this help me assemble a general path to take.

For leveling I would btw, also recommend you use the Orzagar Red Frothgar Drink. Gives Max HP and Magicka recovery and scales with your level, I use it on my Max leveled DK Tank. And if you can, get a friend to help you get the atronach mundus stone. Magicka Recovery is a big deal for tanks, even those that consider themselves "stamina" tanks. And if you are not worried about looks you could try and get vampirism early on to level that as you go as well, for the regen and mitigation.
  • UncannyLinderman
    UncannyLinderman
    ✭✭✭

Puncture -> Pierce Armor

Inhale -> Deep Breath

For leveling I would btw, also recommend you use the Orzagar Red Frothgar Drink. Gives Max HP and Magicka recovery and scales with your level, I use it on my Max leveled DK Tank. And if you can, get a friend to help you get the atronach mundus stone. Magicka Recovery is a big deal for tanks, even those that consider themselves "stamina" tanks. And if you are not worried about looks you could try and get vampirism early on to level that as you go as well, for the regen and mitigation.

Good to know and keep in mind. Thanks tons.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A little old now so I use different sets and a few different skills but this may still be useful for you

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/281446/curras-how-to-tank-guide/p1
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs