Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

My laptop is overheating more often. Why?

qsnoopyjr
qsnoopyjr
✭✭✭✭
So my laptop is overheating for often.
When the laptop gets to a certain temperature thats very hot if touching the power supply area, and remains at that high temperature, does it... Melt the heat sink?

Possible to melt the heat sink, so that the laptop is now more vulnerable to overheating?
I know its too late now if thats what happened, but when it gets so hot is there a time limit before the heat sink starts to melt. Like play only 15 minutes when its getting super hot and then let cool down?

Not sure if heat sink degraded due to over excessive heat or if game is starting to require more computing power.
What you guys think about my laptop overheating more than usual and faster when playing the game?
Another thing is my screen will flicker sometimes when its super hot. One time the audio stopped playing and I think my screen dimmed automatically.
I check my memory 40% used, I check my CPU 40% used. I think it maybe my graphics card, any suggestions to improve so I play game better and most of all, stop overheating my laptop.
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does your laptop have a cooling fan? Do you hear it running? Have you cleared the air vents so air can flow? Do you have it sitting on a "Laptop Cooler" to help the heat dissipation? Is your laptop a high end gaming laptop with a powerful GPU? Check to see if the GPU has a cooling fan or just a big ole heat sink.

• qsnoopyjr
    qsnoopyjr
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a lot of options for laptop . You can buy a portable air conditioner and pump the air under it . That's what I've been doing cause we had a heat wave . Ice gel packs under the frame help but they have to be replaced so often I gave up on that .
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For laptop gaming, I highly suggest having some sort of cooling fan placed underneath it, which can easily be found on places like Amazon if that is available to you.

Your specs look good from what I see, so if your laptop used to run fine but now gets very hot very quickly then it sounds like something just got borked. I'm not very familiar with laptops since I'm a desktop guy, but if you can open your laptop up and clean out any built up dust inside then I would recommend that you do so.

If the problem gets worse then you'd probably have to take your laptop somewhere and get it checked out by a professional, or just buy a new laptop/desktop computer.

I don't recall the specific details, but I once heard about the power supply or something exploding in a person's laptop while they were using it.. on their lap :x
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • Magıc
    Magıc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not a lot of options for laptop . You can buy a portable air conditioner and pump the air under it . That's what I've been doing cause we had a heat wave . Ice gel packs under the frame help but they have to be replaced so often I gave up on that .

Any links to good portable air conditioners?
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    looks like a nice computer from the link.

I don't think your computer will melt, unless you have a defected computer. Most modern computers ( if not all ) will shut off when the temperature gets to a certain level. One thing I would suggest is downloading a free utility that will monitor your temperature so you can see how hot your laptop really gets.

If your laptop is not too hard to open up, then I would open it up and make sure all fans you see are actually working. You can also buy a can of air to spray the fans and vents.

You can get something like this fairly cheap to help keep your laptop cool.

2hthqh2huqfk.png

Also just a comment about your CPU usage. Sometimes when ESO crashes it will leave the ESO.exe running in the background, so if you open ESO again, you might have (2) ESO.exe files running in the background. One night I crashed several times and then went to bed, the next morning my computer sounded like it was working over time. I check my CPU usage and found out that I had 7 ESO.exe files running in the background even though ESO was shut down before I went to bed.

Edited by vamp_emily on June 26, 2017 3:51PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magıc wrote: »

I bought a $600 industrial sized one but Walmart has a $300 one .

c90c7978-ee89-4355-9b08-4f92d968a3a1_1.164e62cc484022b6439197d0286a15c8.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

@magic
  • Magıc
    Magıc
    ✭✭✭✭✭

c90c7978-ee89-4355-9b08-4f92d968a3a1_1.164e62cc484022b6439197d0286a15c8.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

@magic

It's a dotless i btw.

ı

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dotted_and_dotless_I

Last one in the table half way down.

Cheers though @Rohamad_Ali
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@magic

It's a dotless i btw.

ı

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dotted_and_dotless_I

Last one in the table half way down.

Cheers though @Rohamad_Ali

Ah . I was wondering how you got such a name . Thank you I will remember .
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is not a lot of headroom when it comes to laptop cooling solutions. So as they age and get full of dust and crap, they can begin to get hotter faster.

I have an old laptop that my kids play Minecraft on. Recently it started to get louder and louder as the fans try to keep it cool, and then it got to the point where it would shut down after a few minutes of playing- a clear overheating problem.

I had to limit the CPU to 80% max load and now they can use it again without problems, although with obviously fewer fps'.
  • Saoirse_Siobhan
    Saoirse_Siobhan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always had fps problems with ESO, ever since I started playing 2 years ago. I chalked it up to having an old laptop with low specs. I've tweaked settings in-game, in the UserSettings file and in Windows settings itself so I could get a relatively stable 30 fps with minimum settings. And I have a laptop cooling pad.
    But over the last month my laptop had been really overheating, the part of the keyboard that is over where the fan is supposed to blow out the air was extremely hot to the touch. I noticed that the fan wasn't blowing out the hot air properly. So I opened up my laptop, blew out 4 years of built-up dust with an air compressor ... and Holy Divines the difference it's made! I can now put max Texture Quality, max SubSampling Quality and even turn on extra grass with a stable 40 to 50 fps! And my laptop barely heats up! I'm wary of going too far though so I'm leaving those settings for now before I try anything else, but it's like a whole new game! It's so pretty!! :)
    So yes, I think dust is the n°1 fps killer :D

Edited by Saoirse_Siobhan on July 1, 2017 4:43PM
    PC/EU DC