Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best trait for tanks, heavy armor

king408
king408
I have been lookin around n see people use impenetrable, im thinking nirnhoned for magic resistance, im vampire so should help with fire dmg too. Is this used in pvp at all

Best Answers

• Pepper8Jack
    Pepper8Jack
    ✭✭✭
    There's many different factors that determine what traits are best (and even what pieces they are best on) so we'll need more information to be able to answer that. You mentioned PvP so I'm going to assume this isn't meant for PvE gear at all.

Are you planning CP or no-CP? Cyrodiil or Battlegrounds? Solo, small group, or zerg? What class are you? What gear sets are you using? What skills are you using? What is your preferred playstyle? etc.

Answer ✓
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you are talking about PvP then either Reinforced or Impen for extra protection, cause that seems what you are wanting to get. For armor pieces Reinforced beats Nirnhoned every time on Heavy Armor. Only pieces for a tank where Nirnhoned would give just the slightest bit more is on shields, but so if you are wanting to craft and maximize, make nirnhoned shield, but that btw only applies in CP PvP if I remember right and Reinforced is better in non CP. So its all about how you want to protect yourself. Impen is only good against Crits but reinforced is good against all, but do consider that a lot of people crit a lot. 60-80% crit chance is the norm.

Obviously though some tanks go with other traits in PvP, like Infused for more resources or Sturdy for easier time blocking. All are valid options, it all depends on how you want to make your build. oh and if you want to learn more about your Vampire fire vulnerability you might want to check this out:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-updated-for-morrowind-new-calculator/p1

There is a section in there that talks about Vampire vulnerability in detail.
    Answer ✓
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    king408 wrote: »
    Not sure what CP is... still noobish my highest char was 31 before i quit eso a while back, now that im back on console i rolled up an imperial nightblade and made him super tanky focusing on magicka and health, im currently level 27? But want to get some basic knowledge of what kind of traits i should be looking for as far as pvp goes... im using multiple gearsets atm but i like bastion undaunted set as far as tanking is concerned.

Current skills atm (pretty bad, dont flame)

Swallow Soul.
    Piercing armor
    Invigorating drain
    Crippling grasp
    Siphoning strikes
    Siphon ultimate

resto staff on back bar, i rarely use it but got the undaunted taunt on there a couple heals and mist.

OK, CP is Champion Points, its how you keep "leveling" after level 50. If you play on the 50> PvP Campaign then I would go with Reinforced, it will give you the biggest protection. There is a lot less crit damage bonuses in there and so you won't have to worry as much about being hit with critical strikes, Reinforced gives you a wide range of protection.
    Answer ✓
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you are blocking a lot then it's clearly sturdy as you can't be critically hit while blocking. If you are running 5p heavy armor and using a skill that grants you major resolve & ward you will be around 28K resistance even without reinforced. The mitigation cap is 50% at 33K so you are not gaining much protection from that extra 5K, only about 8% if not blocking or 2-3% if blocking. If you are using the secondary resource pool and running tri-glyphs you can use infused on the full pieces (chest, shield, legs, head) to maximise your resource pools. So probably a mix of infused and sturdy is ideal.
    Edited by Asardes on June 28, 2017 5:14PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Answer ✓
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    If you are blocking a lot then it's clearly sturdy as you can't be critically hit while blocking. If you are running 5p heavy armor and using a skill that grants you major resolve & ward you will be around 28K resistance even without reinforced. The mitigation cap is 50% at 33K so you are not gaining much protection from that extra 5K, only about 8% if not blocking. If you are using the secondary resource pool and running tri-glyphs you can use infused on the full pieces (chest, shield, legs, head) to maximise your resource pools. So probably a mix of infused and sturdy is ideal.

Are you sure about the no crit while blocking? I truly don't remember anything like that and it seems off, but then again I don't remember ever testing anything like that either so I could be the one in the wrong. But I guess it would be quick to test so gonna log on and check for myself as well :tongue:
    Answer ✓
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you are blocking a lot then it's clearly sturdy as you can't be critically hit while blocking. If you are running 5p heavy armor and using a skill that grants you major resolve & ward you will be around 28K resistance even without reinforced. The mitigation cap is 50% at 33K so you are not gaining much protection from that extra 5K, only about 8% if not blocking or 2-3% if blocking. If you are using the secondary resource pool and running tri-glyphs you can use infused on the full pieces (chest, shield, legs, head) to maximise your resource pools. So probably a mix of infused and sturdy is ideal.
    If you are blocking a lot then it's clearly sturdy as you can't be critically hit while blocking. If you are running 5p heavy armor and using a skill that grants you major resolve & ward you will be around 28K resistance even without reinforced. The mitigation cap is 50% at 33K so you are not gaining much protection from that extra 5K, only about 8% if not blocking. If you are using the secondary resource pool and running tri-glyphs you can use infused on the full pieces (chest, shield, legs, head) to maximise your resource pools. So probably a mix of infused and sturdy is ideal.

Are you sure about the no crit while blocking? I truly don't remember anything like that and it seems off, but then again I don't remember ever testing anything like that either so I could be the one in the wrong. But I guess it would be quick to test so gonna log on and check for myself as well :tongue:

I tested it with a friend real quick and it seems you are right, well DoTs that go through shield still crit but not stuff that was blockable. Thanks for the info. :smile:
    Answer ✓
  • king408
    king408
    Not sure what CP is... still noobish my highest char was 31 before i quit eso a while back, now that im back on console i rolled up an imperial nightblade and made him super tanky focusing on magicka and health, im currently level 27? But want to get some basic knowledge of what kind of traits i should be looking for as far as pvp goes... im using multiple gearsets atm but i like bastion undaunted set as far as tanking is concerned.

Current skills atm (pretty bad, dont flame)

Swallow Soul.
    Piercing armor
    Invigorating drain
    Crippling grasp
    Siphoning strikes
    Siphon ultimate

resto staff on back bar, i rarely use it but got the undaunted taunt on there a couple heals and mist.
  • king408
    king408
    I use a shield so blocking is important for me, im jus gettin use to animations and blocking, interrupting. So if im blocking i can put less resources into resistance down the line? I need to find major n minor ward spells still.. reinforced, sturdy. So nirnhoned only useful on shield huh? Might need to go i to wood working :(