Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

This is either a BUG or a SCAM. You decide, ZOS.

• DragonDreads
    DragonDreads
    ✭✭
    1/15 nix hounds today. I posted what I got on a different thread but mine mainly consisted of potions/poisons/mimic stones. No mounts.
  • Stewart1874
    Stewart1874
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If someone could be arsed working out the probability of getting 6 nix hounds out of 15 crates and then compare that with the amount of people getting 6/15 that would suggest it probably isn't random. Theres been a few folk on this thread in the same situation and I know random is random but that doesn't feel random at all.

I'm a bit pissed off tbh. I expect duplicates to come up but not 6 times in 15 rolls. Its either a bug or a not so subtle fix.

Until there is some communication from Zenimax about this I won't be buying anymore.
    PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/15 nix hounds today. I posted what I got on a different thread but mine mainly consisted of potions/poisons/mimic stones. No mounts.

That's normal. The way the cards work is that there are almost always 3 "junk" cards, and then one that's the third tier and up, with a much higher chance of getting Tier 3 than Tier 4, and higher chance of Tier 4 than Tier 5, etc.. Very rarely do you get two non-junk cards in a hand.

Went through 30 crates yesterday, 4 Nix Hounds, so not a ridiculous drop rate. More common for me were the Dwarven Brow Plates (Got 7).

Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • grizzledcroc
    grizzledcroc
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like this topic is dieing already :<. Guess this is what we gotta deal with forever now.
  • AJSnakeGaming
    AJSnakeGaming
    ✭✭
    I got 17 in 30.... I have bought at least 30 crates every season and I still have not got an apex mount. Was preying my luck would change this season as I've been waiting for this season since it was announced.... doubt I'd buy anymore crates again :'(
    PS4 EU server.
  • PokeMaule
    PokeMaule
    ✭✭
    8 crates here
    both Guar mounts
    2 nix hounds
    Dwarven Eyebrow shields
    a lot of xp scrolls
    motif book
    potions etc

after cashing in I had enough to get the striped wolf mount so quite happy with 3 mounts a pet and some eyebrows
    Binyar-Tun Argonian DK Tank Ebonheart Pact. CP610 Hist Shadow
    Ra' Zanir - Kajiit Mag NB DPS Aldmeri Dominion. CP610
    Quasan Al Hallin - Redguard Stam Sorc DPS Daggerfall Covenant. CP610 Stormproof
    Seyrena Althranis - Dunmer Magicka Sorc DPS Ebonheart Pact. CP610 Clockwork Confounder

XBONE GT - PokeMaule
    Guildmaster - Unexpected Heroes
    Member - Venom - Morrowind Academy - Tamriel BaseCamp

• saltblue
    saltblue
    Soul Shriven
    After paying 240$ trying to get a sweet roll I've rethought my life and will be taking my 40+ nix hounds somewhere else. Am I pissed? Yes. Will I still play? Sure, I'll even keep my subscription. Am I going to stop buying crown crates? Absolutely, and I'm going to make sure everyone I game with knows what kinds of odds they're looking at.

Aftermath:
    1 robo senche
    1 Gorne wolf
    1 dwemer bug pet
    1/2 of the dwemer masks
    4 order of the hour motifs
    3 Grand crown xp scrolls
    7 major crown xp scrolls
    Dozens of regular XP scrolls
    30+ nyx hounds
    20+ dwemer puzzles
    30+ crown mimic stones

Some riding scrolls, some drinks, some crummy food that shouldn't even be there because it's so easy to make/get (literally thrown in to take up one of the card slots) and a couple of the weird beanie flower hats.

For those of you number crunchers I had to estimate because I started counting after I noticed a trend. 90 crates and over a third had nix hound. Over half had nix hound or dwemer puzzles. Not a single "crown crates only item" and the only thing I'm told through customer service is we're sorry you have bad luck and feel free to try the forums. Elder scrolls off the record on Twitter did a poll on if players were losing faith in zos over crown crates and it was 75% yes 25% no.

I don't have any issue telling every guil and zone chat not to buy these crates.
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    saltblue wrote: »
    After paying 240$ trying to get a sweet roll I've rethought my life and will be taking my 40+ nix hounds somewhere else. Am I pissed? Yes. Will I still play? Sure, I'll even keep my subscription. Am I going to stop buying crown crates? Absolutely, and I'm going to make sure everyone I game with knows what kinds of odds they're looking at.

Aftermath:
    1 robo senche
    1 Gorne wolf
    1 dwemer bug pet
    1/2 of the dwemer masks
    3 Grand crown xp scrolls
    7 major crown xp scrolls
    30+ nyx hounds
    20+ dwemer puzzles
    30+ crown mimic stones

Some riding scrolls, some drinks, some crummy food that shouldn't even be there because it's so easy to make/get (literally thrown in to take up one of the card slots) and a couple of the weird beanie flower hats.

For those of you number crunchers I had to estimate because I started counting after I noticed a trend. 90 crates and over a third had nix hound. Over half had nix hound or dwemer puzzles. Not a single "crown crates only item" and the only thing I'm told through customer service is we're sorry you have bad luck and feel free to try the forums. Elder scrolls off the record on Twitter did a poll on if players were losing faith in zos over crown crates and it was 75% yes 25% no.

I don't have any issue telling every guil and zone chat not to buy these crates.

My condolences; what a misery your luck was. :( This just makes me all the more certain that these crates are WAY more rigged than the last two series have been; 30+ hounds and puzzles is beyond excessive. At least you were spared all the useless eyebrow spikes (or whatever they're called).
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • saltblue
    saltblue
    Soul Shriven
    Hanokihs wrote: »

Aftermath:
    1 robo senche
    1 Gorne wolf
    1 dwemer bug pet
    1/2 of the dwemer masks
    3 Grand crown xp scrolls
    7 major crown xp scrolls
    30+ nyx hounds
    20+ dwemer puzzles
    30+ crown mimic stones

My condolences; what a misery your luck was. :( This just makes me all the more certain that these crates are WAY more rigged than the last two series have been; 30+ hounds and puzzles is beyond excessive. At least you were spared all the useless eyebrow spikes (or whatever they're called).

For 240$ I shouldn't have gotten less than half of the mounts, if not all.
  • SirGabenOfSteamia
    SirGabenOfSteamia
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think the most insulting part of this has been the fact that, despite at least two dozen discussions on here complaining about the crates being weighted to one or two particular blues, ZoS has yet to respond.

Usually I wouldn't follow these threads, but I was really hoping that some clarification would be shed upon the situation or maybe even some acknowledgement that it's happening at all. Instead... just silence. They're obviously just milking the cash cow at this point and probably won't put out a statement until a couple weeks from now when the new crate hype has died down. Really discouraging
    And so, Akatosh revealed himself to a young Gaben, and granted him purpose.
    "Grant them Steam sales," he commanded.
    And obey, he did.
  • saltblue
    saltblue
    Soul Shriven
    I think the most insulting part of this has been the fact that, despite at least two dozen discussions on here complaining about the crates being weighted to one or two particular blues, ZoS has yet to respond.

Usually I wouldn't follow these threads, but I was really hoping that some clarification would be shed upon the situation or maybe even some acknowledgement that it's happening at all. Instead... just silence. They're obviously just milking the cash cow at this point and probably won't put out a statement until a couple weeks from now when the new crate hype has died down. Really discouraging

Gina Bruno has created an individual thread with elder scrolls off the record and it has apparently closed with either no posts or no posts to us. The overwhelming feedback has apparently left them reeling and they are treading very, very carefully. I put in an average of 500 a year between crown crates, dlc purchase and subscription and I'm about to cut down 200 a year for subscription/ dlc release.
  • SirGabenOfSteamia
    SirGabenOfSteamia
    ✭✭✭✭

Gina Bruno has created an individual thread with elder scrolls off the record and it has apparently closed with either no posts or no posts to us. The overwhelming feedback has apparently left them reeling and they are treading very, very carefully. I put in an average of 500 a year between crown crates, dlc purchase and subscription and I'm about to cut down 200 a year for subscription/ dlc release.

The easiest way they could've dealt with this would have been an immediate response to the entirety of the public. Even just a statement saying "oh its a bug" or "we're looking into it" or "no, everything seems to be working as intended" could have made this situation seem so much less hostile to me. I get that crown crates were already a very controversial topic from before launch, but at least they did something about it with the largest of concerns and added crown gems when players asked for it. Now we demand a response and get nothing. I spent quite a bit on the Storm Atro crates, and almost just as much on the Wild Hunt crates... but not more than $50 on Dwarven Crates, no siree.
    Edited by SirGabenOfSteamia on June 25, 2017 4:59AM
    And so, Akatosh revealed himself to a young Gaben, and granted him purpose.
    "Grant them Steam sales," he commanded.
    And obey, he did.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the best solution to this would be to fix the weighting firstly -and rather than refund or free crates - simply give everybody who got way too many hounds an extra 10 gems per Hound we received. Seriously unreal that they're spammed in such a frequency and worth only 5 gems. It's horrible.
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Hanokihs
    Hanokihs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »
    I think the best solution to this would be to fix the weighting firstly -and rather than refund or free crates - simply give everybody who got way too many hounds an extra 10 gems per Hound we received. Seriously unreal that they're spammed in such a frequency and worth only 5 gems. It's horrible.

Maybe that's the problem: They're afraid to say anything, because if they imply something went wrong on their end, people may start demanding refunds and (excessive) compensation. But the silence is only making things worse; if they thought past crates sold poorly, the next season's stats are going to be absolutely abysmal, now.
    "I haven't really played much yet, but lemme tell you all about how the game should include X and be a lot more like Y!" - Half the posters on this forum.
    "I've been here for years, and lemme tell you all about how they should never change or evolve Z, because then the game would be ruined forever." - The other half of posters on this forum.
  • Laplace
    Laplace
    ✭✭✭
    It's a rigged system, folks. I've been saying it all along. Totally rigged. So dishonest. And it begins with the crates, the 'fake odds' crates, they rigged it. It's never been this bad, I mean, it's always been bad, but not this bad, right? Sad.

We're gonna make ESO great again, believe me. That I can tell you. Crate-buyers don't win anymore. WoW, SWTOR, Guild Wars 2, they're laughing at us. Nix hounds in every crate? A terrible deal. Totally rigged. I mean, Nix hounds? Nix hounds? Very low-energy. We need mounts. We need so many mounts that we get sick of mounts. And I love ZOS - believe me, nobody loves ZOS more than me - but look folks, either we have a good RNG or we don't. So we're gonna have to make a thread. And ESO Plus subscribers are gonna pay for that thread, believe me. 100%.
    Edited by Laplace on June 25, 2017 10:26AM
  • Miaura
    Miaura
    ✭✭✭
    Who let the dogs out?!
    But seriously, I `d like to know if this is intended too, or could be fixed, before I open the 2 crates i have left from the 4 I bought?
    Myself I got only 1 Nix from the free crate with Morrowind, then from the 2 bought crates I opened : the dwemer one eye goggle "monocular device" (personally find this very ugly)and the dwarwen puzzle orb, wich has at least partially broken animation : dunno if it is intended @ZOS_GinaBruno /anyone, but the dwarwen puzzle box animation makes your char eyes roll (disgustingly I thinks )showing eye-whites , and on my khajiit at least the eyes also clip through eyelids a lot while at it...

But yeah, the so far reported nix-horde does not sound promising: huspand gave me 3000crowns to spend on crates if I wish, now happy I only bought the one 4 pack and did not even open all yet.
    Only have 2 items I want or rly like from these crates, unlike last season where I liked most items so bought 15 pack and got very happy go lucky getting most items I wanted from crates or gems, plus a wild hunt bear I liked on top of it. As a happy customer or getting addicted to the crate buzz even ended up buying a few more wild hunt crates before end of season...
    Now have enough gems, 104, to buy one of the items I like in dwarwen crates for either 100 or 40 gems, and the gambler in me might have found it fun to give it a try and even get both - but grinding nix hounds to get both does not sound like fun gambling to me.
    Edited by Miaura on June 25, 2017 6:10PM
  • saltblue
    saltblue
    Soul Shriven

I should correct myself... I misread esotu for esotr from reading too quick. So it looks like the other thread was made by Gina Bruno for more feedback on the crown crates and she closed it off after realizing the threads were creating themselves and they didn't have a response.

I'm reading through other threads to see if they might have gotten a response yet.
  • Dovahmiim
    Dovahmiim
    ✭✭✭
    Wow I thought i was the only one. Spent 25k crowns cos im stupid, NO apex mounts, a million nix hounds. Unfortunately ZoS aren't inclined to offer any kind of refund, as the crates are advertised as random, however this was definitely the tipping point for me, especially with some mounts not even purchasable with the crown gems. Unless some form of compensation for this "bug" is offered, I won't be buying anything from the crown store again, let alone crates.
    I'm better.
  • Sintao
    Sintao
    ✭✭✭
    Just to get some numbers, if it is of any help to help shed light on this:

Using the google spreadsheet compiled via reddit for ESO Crown Crates (Live): Dwarven Crown Crates (thus assuming that users submitting data are being accurate and are a representative sample).
    • The Bal Foyen Nix Hound is a Superior reward.
    • So far, superior rewards are a 23% drop rate (chance for a card to be this tier of reward)
    • And the Bal Foyen Nix Hound (so far) represents 29% of all superior rewards granted.

That does seem disproportionate. The Bal Foyen Nix Hound is more common within the crate than any Fine reward (the next lowest tier), including experience scrolls. Within the tier of Superior rewards, some are definitely more common than others.

Source: This google spreadsheet.

Edit: The Storm Atronach crown crate had far more even distribution of Superior Rewards with no absurdly huge 'spikes' favouring one reward over another. The Wild Hunt crates seemed to favour three Superior rewards more than others.

I note with interest that the available number of superior rewards in the dwarven crates is far lower than in previous packs (which had 19 or 20 as far as I know ). There are only fifteen available Superior rewards in the dwarven crate (please correct me if I am wrong!).

I guess the question to ask is more or less as the OP asked: should we expect an equal random chance of getting any of the listed rewards in a given tier? I am tempted to say this used to be the case, but is no longer the case.
    Edited by Sintao on June 26, 2017 9:08AM
  • Yarlenzey
    Yarlenzey
    ✭✭✭✭
    Out of 17 Crates, I can't even remember if I got a 100Gem value item.
    After converting all my rubbish to gems, I had a paltry 80 to work with.

Yes, about 6 nixhounds here and about 8 useless mimic stones. <<< does anyone actually use those?
    I had the same strike rate with the stupid Bravil labrador.

The good news!!
    • I'm not getting a new Guar then. :/
    • The snood with flowers will team up well with the leather nappy to make a dandy swimming outfit.:{
    I got suspenders for saying "Testicular Mass" instead of "Balls". like, rilly.

• Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bravil Retriever and Banekin were the overloaded cards in Wild Hunt. And I got Nix in my free crate, so of course that's an overload.

But I cleaned out most of Wild Hunt and got three Apex from it, so they weren't a huge hindrance overall.

I probably got more Mons's Goblin Raiders and Benalish Heroes in my hunt for dual land cards back in the day. I couldn't even convert those. They just went in the trash.
    signing off
  • Delerium
    Delerium
    ✭✭
    15 crates

6/15 Nix Hounds and a couple hats
    Dwarven armor mirage momento also which is actually pretty cool but the amount of nix hounds and lethal poisons pissed me off
  • saltblue
    saltblue
    Soul Shriven
    So trouble shoot the bug... Is this problem specific to Xbox or does it cover all platforms?
  • saltblue
    saltblue
    Soul Shriven
    I can confirm for Xbox btw
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe if you would have titled your thread "Can't buy crowns" you would have got a response by now
  • saltblue
    saltblue
    Soul Shriven
    DannyLV702 wrote: »
    Maybe if you would have titled your thread "Can't buy crowns" you would have got a response by now

That's how I for an invitation pass to the forum
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So trouble shoot the bug... Is this problem specific to Xbox or does it cover all platforms?

All
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

• lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yarlenzey wrote: »
    Yes, about 6 nixhounds here and about 8 useless mimic stones. <<< does anyone actually use those?
    [/list]

IF and only IF you have the Frostcaller motif - those stones can be profitable - you can get away with selling Stahlrim for literally 10-20k because there's no way to get it in-game EXCEPT for mimic stones.

The sad thing though is you have to build and then extract - meaning you won't always get a hunk of Stahlrim for them :/
    Edited by lagrue on June 27, 2017 8:11AM
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

• UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    #SAYNOTOCROWNCRATES
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • randomkeyhits
    randomkeyhits
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its the same as every other MMO out there which uses a crate or equivalent system.

First round is pretty decent because they want the initial hooks and don't know where the player acceptance levels are, sales and feedback are noted.

Second round is reasonable but never as good as the first round, player responses are monitored, both in terms of sales and feedback.

Based on that feedback the third round is the first real attempt at what the baseline crates will end up as. The aim is to sell as many crates as possible while giving as small a reward as can be gotten away with (minimising impact on other store items)

Round four onward tends to be a bit tunnel vision, protect existing market items if possible and use rarity as the goad to get players to spend on the crates. At this point forum feedback is ignored and its purely about the crate sales numbers. Only if they start dropping will anything change.

Sometimes I think this company is bipolar. The anniversary event with the give aways generated a lot of good will from me. I was impressed by it and because of that I bought a 15 pack of crates this time round (usually never buy any). The results from the crates? The goodwill is still there but I have absolutely zero expectations from the crates. Would definitely wait next season for the feedback before deciding whether to commit to some or not.
    EU PS4