Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Suggestion: Enable "Auto-Decline Duels" On All Toons

Aca2017
Aca2017
✭✭✭
Pet peeve of mine, which has become regular/acute enough that I am seeking therapy. Qualified providers may submit their resumes...

Seeing an increasing incidence of players starting duels with me while I am AFK, or focused intently on other things. Generally this happens in a very crowded and otherwise peaceful venue (the main room in Elden Root, etc), suggesting the perpetrators are picking through the numerous other players in the crowd looking for toons (standing at bankers or crafting stations, etc) to harass. Personally, I consider this griefing, and in the RP context of the game unequivocally dishonorable. You are entitled to your own opinion.

I don't PvP, or even know how to accept/decline duels, so I have no idea how this is happening. Is a player obligated to proceed with a duel initiated by another player if they take no action? If so, this is abysmal user interface design. It is also possible I am accepting these duels inadvertently while cycling through inventory/crafting tasks, UI/addon interface, etc. Keystrokes are keystrokes, and the UI can make of them whatever it chooses (and I have had my "Primary Action/Accept" keybinding do unexpected things before, based on context). And is there an incentive beyond pathological insecurity, malignant narcissism, and/or a desperate need to manipulate (like an achievement, or something)? In any event, I just suddenly end up briefly in combat and then dead with no warning and no idea who is attacking me, and then I have to rez, at whatever inconvenience to myself. Fortunately, I run a combat log addon, can identify the p̶a̶t̶h̶e̶t̶i̶c̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶o̶n̶ assailant and ignore them after the fact (I ignore people like this because I want to have nothing more to do with them, in perpetuity).

FYI to new players who may also end up harassed in this fashion: I am enabling the associated option on all my accounts/toons: ESC>Settings>Social>Notifications>Auto-Decline Duels. This apparently defaults to "OFF" (implementing an "opt out" dynamic, enabling duels by default... perhaps this should be reversed?). Change it to "ON". You will need to do this on all your toons.

Annoying/frustrating, but hopefully this will take care of it.
  • Shanjijri
    Shanjijri
    ✭✭✭✭
    It takes a few seconds to turn it off.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    We truly live in dark times when a small notification briefly appearing on your screen qualifies as "harassment."

Decline the duel or stop being an n'wah and fight them for once.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The option to auto-decline duels has been in the game as long as dueling has. The first thing I did after that update was activate that option on every single character and it's part of my routine whenever I create a new one.

You can't really blame people looking for duels if you've previously chosen not to make use of the option or pay attention to the interface when they send you an invite.

Having said that it would be helpful if there was a way to automatically copy your preferred options (for all the menus) to all characters, or just new characters. On PC there are addons which will copy your chat box settings and keybindings automatically but as far as I know you still have to go through the options menus and set everything else manually each time.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Um maybe activate it in your settings OP?

Been there since duelling came out.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to "settings." You'll find the option under either "social" or "gameplay" (I forget which.) :)
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really what's with the I can't push one button to ease my pain people do they want people to wipe their assets as well?
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It is annoying that your settings aren't global to your account, but I see that as a much bigger issue when it comes to key bindings and UI settings.

In this case we're talking about a single toggle.
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    All my characters disable PVP.

Recently redid an big orc with a fancy set of heavy armour....walked outside after changing colors and I no more than got my sword out to swing it a few times and some PVP type comes up and wants to rumble.

These people remind me of high school bullies....the only ones that want to fight are the one's that are pretty sure they can really trash you. OK...if that's the way you want to play the game...to each his own.
    I know nutting....
  • Danika
    Danika
    ✭✭✭
    When I am running around exploring, etc. The last thing I am interested in while leveling is a duel.

After the second duel request, went into settings and set up auto decline...

When I want to pvp, will visit Craglorn, or what ever it is called.

ok, done bitching now... :/
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    I don't even think anyone's ever challenged me to a duel before... What's wrong with me?
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
    "Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think I've ever declined a duel request. Whether they are my level, much higher, or much lower.

Dueling is fun. It allows you to see how good you are and where you can improve. And there's absolutely no penalty for failure. If you don't enjoy fighting in the game, why play?
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just ignore them. They don't try to farm duels from people if they have to wait for the timer decline every time.

Anytime i get duel invites in a stupid place, I make them wait through cooldown, and let them know Im making them wait lol.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • uzbachchi
    uzbachchi
    ✭✭✭
    NordJitsu wrote: »
    If you don't enjoy fighting in the game, why play?

Because for some people PvP fighting and PvE fighting feel completely different and not in a fun way.

I don't like fighting other people, just AI. It's a preference thing. I play because I like the game. I don't like dealing with other people except cooperatively. Nothing wrong with either way. So why be judgy.