The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

ZOS.. on peeps sneaking in to steal chests, I need to ask a favor.

GreenhaloX
GreenhaloX
✭✭✭✭✭
So, this game.. there are many annoying and menacing things that peeps/players do, but I'm not going to get into that or start a list of that. I just don't have the time. However, I would like to ask for a favor.. for one particular menacing and so annoying thing. This is, when you are at a chest first and fighting the adds, so you can get to that chest, then a cockroach comes in sneaking by and just opens and takes the chest's contents while you still fighting the adds and leaves. Any chance you all can do a patch or something where anyone comes within the space/immediate area of the adds and chests, they also get pulled automatically into the fight as well. Of course, not when a tank's taunt, but normal fighting. Yeah, there are lots of chests around, but when there are lots of peeps/players on, then there is almost a race to get to the next chest. Ha ha. Then, you find one, but happen to have adds there. You know.. you just want to be able to get to that chest after killing off those adds, and not have a sneaky roach pass by and just grab it from you.

This is just occurring more often than you would like; everyday, multi-times, and I'm sure happening to other good folks/ESO gamers as well. So, what you say, good ZOS folks.. any chance you guys could take this into consideration; similar to your countermeasure on the bot/rubberbanders thing at dolmens. If it would be too much, perhaps, cause of many chests out there, how about just where there are advanced or master chest out.. yeah? Would it be a difficult countermeasure to implement? Oh, you all other good forum participants, please feel free and offer any comment or feedback on this as well (constructively, please..)
Edited by GreenhaloX on June 22, 2017 5:28PM
  • sarbonn
    sarbonn
    ✭✭✭
    It's one of those problems where people can be real crappy, and unfortunately, the game has nothing designed to curtail such a thing. I've always thought that if there's a chest somewhere that requires you to get through mobs, that chest should be tied to the mob, meaning that you only get the chest if you're the one who gets credit for the mob. Yeah, there are some limitations on that, but it's one of those things it would be great if they gave some thought into it, even if it meant the two survivors would have to run to the chest at the end of the fight to compete for it. At least then someone doesn't get to be a crap head and just outright steal it without doing anything to earn it.
    Clueless, but willing to learn.
  • Jamini
    Jamini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't get to the chest first, you didn't get the chest. The loot is theirs.

Next time kill the mobs faster, or don't get spotted while picking the lock.
    "Adapt. or Die."
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So like 99.99o999999% of the game is "loot locked to kill" already and now you want some area radius of say "every node I see that I want is mine cuz I am killing an ogre" or something along those lines so that the small nano-pinch of content that is "first to get" and not linked to kills is made like the rest?

Instead how about a change in perspective.

Me, for instance, I do not assume all that I see is belong us to me until I actually take it by doing what is necessary.

If someone else does it first, I don't run to forums to cry out for rules change, I just run to the next thing.

Go figure.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if yer in HEWS BANE, then I'm that cockroach :) I needs mor BC gear!

it's a legit technique, if perhaps a bit unscrupulous. I do feel like population densities in areas is too great, and there are too many vying for the same resources (bosses, etc.) in a single instance... also creating greater lag.

Tell ZOS to thin out the player pops, and spin up more instances... if they can keep the servers running that is.

• GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jamini wrote: »
    If you don't get to the chest first, you didn't get the chest. The loot is theirs.

Oh my God, there is it.. the solution! Why did I not think of this before?! Thank you so much, my friend, for implementing such quick fix. Oh no, wait.. you're not really my friend.. sorry.
  • Jamini
    Jamini
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GreenhaloX wrote: »

Oh my God, there is it.. the solution! Why did I not think of this before?! Thank you so much, my friend, for implementing such quick fix. Oh no, wait.. you're not really my friend.. sorry.

It's not a problem. You are just greedy. See signature.
    "Adapt. or Die."
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Legerdemain literally means deception or trickery.

If anything, the person screwing you over is more deserving of that type of experience gain.
    signing off
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I loathe trolls.. *sigh*
  • Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    So, this game.. there are many annoying and menacing things that peeps/players do, but I'm not going to get into that or start a list of that

Erm ... you just did!

Anyway; much as I dislike people going in for a chest while I fight NPC enemies (to get to the chest) and think it is bad etiqette, I also realise that my name is not on the chest and the chest does not belong to me. Is this chest 'ninja-ing' sly, bad form or just plain ignorant? Yes! Is the practice illegal in the game? No! Sad to say this but we just have to chalk the incidents of chest nabbing up to experience and move on.

Something I think is somewhat worse is when I have opened a chest but need to clean out my inventory and someone empties the chest as I do so. Is it my fault for not making space in inventory or wrong for the other person to empty a chest I had clearly opened? Probably both in degrees! Again I would advise to just move along - things happen!

And what of those that open a chest then only take out what they want and leave items in the chest thus elongating the rerspawn time (as is said)? Again; move on! Either take the loot or leave it - that's how the game works.

There are many things I think could be changed in the game and I have no problem with people noting them. Until ZOS decide to change things we must take the game as it is or leave it.

One last thing! Calling people names (such as cockroach) does not do your argument or the community in general any favours. No matter how disgruntled or 'bad' you feel about something in game, calling folk names is never a good idea.

Regards.
    "If there is an underlying oneness of all things, it does not matter where we begin, whether with stars, or laws of supply and demand, or frogs, or Napoleon Bonaparte. One measures a circle, beginning anywhere."

Charles Fort - Lo! (1931)
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    So like 99.99o999999% of the game is "loot locked to kill" already and now you want some area radius of say "every node I see that I want is mine cuz I am killing an ogre" or something along those lines so that the small nano-pinch of content that is "first to get" and not linked to kills is made like the rest?

Me, for instance, I do not assume all that I see is belong us to me until I actually take it by doing what is necessary.

If someone else does it first, I don't run to forums to cry out for rules change, I just run to the next thing.

Go figure.

Sounds like he has given up on a bit of common courtesy in the game and being frustrated would like a solution. He isn't asking for the right to harvest nodes just because he killed a skeever near by. You knew that though. If a person is standing beside a chest and in battle it is pretty obvious why they are there. Sneaking in and nabbing the chest while they are busy in battle is low. You know they are fighting so they can get to the chest. You should just move on to the next one.

When people were running around Craglorn trying to get nirncrux the person who started a fight almost never got the reward for his efforts. Was kind of fun to start a battle when there was nothing near by to harvest and watch others come scrambling over hoping to poach.
    Stealing a chest is akin to cutting to the front of the line in a grocery store and claiming you get to go next because you got an item on the conveyor before anybody else did.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is something ZOS can't really control. Like the ones who take everything but Ta's in Runestones or leave a Moonstone in a chest. They are just *** in my opinion. You will always find them. They will always exist.
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • Jamini
      Jamini
      ✭✭✭✭✭

I loathe trolls.. *sigh*

Who is the troll here, the guy complaining because he was beaten to a chest and lost out on 500g worth of items and asking the developers of the game (who have far more pressing bugs and issues to address) to change it in a way that would negatively impact the experience of everyone else... or the guy who is telling him to suck it up and move on with life.

Suck it up. Move on. Be faster.
      Nothing is yours in a game until you tag it.

P.S. I guess I just "grew up" (in a mmo sense) in a system that was far less kind and gentle to players. I remember zones that had named monsters that dropped valuable/highly sought-after loot that were on 4-8-12-24h timers. Some of these required a full raid to kill, for a low (1-12%) chance at their desired loot. Your complaint, compared to that, is someone whining because they had two scoops of sugar in their coffee instead of three.
      Edited by Jamini on June 22, 2017 6:17PM
      "Adapt. or Die."
    • Acrolas
      Acrolas
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      kargen27 wrote: »
      Stealing a chest is akin to cutting to the front of the line in a grocery store and claiming you get to go next because you got an item on the conveyor before anybody else did.

Every chest you stick a lockpick into is stealing it regardless of NPC reaction. So, nope.

If you want to whine about something, whine about how guilds raffle off Craglorn gathering time.
      signing off
    • phileunderx2
      phileunderx2
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Whenever I have to kill stuff to get a chest or node I will be standing on said chest/node. So if you want it you are going to have to put out a bit of effort to get it.
    • STEVIL
      STEVIL
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭

Go figure.

Sounds like he has given up on a bit of common courtesy in the game and being frustrated would like a solution. He isn't asking for the right to harvest nodes just because he killed a skeever near by. You knew that though. If a person is standing beside a chest and in battle it is pretty obvious why they are there. Sneaking in and nabbing the chest while they are busy in battle is low. You know they are fighting so they can get to the chest. You should just move on to the next one.

When people were running around Craglorn trying to get nirncrux the person who started a fight almost never got the reward for his efforts. Was kind of fun to start a battle when there was nothing near by to harvest and watch others come scrambling over hoping to poach.

First bold - yes sure, just like you know when a team is leading for three quarters and 14 minutes of an NFL game and during the last minute a weird play results in the other team taking the lead and winning. in any GAME one should expect that if you ALMOST have gotten something everybody else should be prevented from ACTUALLY getting it before you do.

And if they do not do that, then hey, time for a rules change to "fix" it, right?

I mean why in the world should there be any resource that is not combat locked in, so that the guy who kills or does dmg gets the loot too? the game would be so so so much more interesting if all non-injustice resources were combat locked like far and away most are now of the ones that matter, right?

Italics, yes to fight the monster because that is what they are doing. HINT: Fighting a mudcrab doesn't give you dibs on anything you want nearby, even if it is right under the mudcrabs lethal and dangerous claws "OMG maybe i will lose to the mudcrab and not get the resource."

When did everyone suddenly start acting like beating overland mobs near nodes was some sort of challenge of epic proportions earning you treasure troves ABOVE AND BEYOND the ones that drop from the mob?

I mean, so we have this giant snake here under this tree... standing by itself, if i kill it after an epic one-on-one tooth and nail nail-biter of a contest to rival Santa Claus vs The Martians or Bert vs Ernie: The Grudge match, then I have earned through blood and sweat and courage the drop from the snake.

But that snake under that other tree with the chest and the nirnroot node close by, well if i engage in that epic war, taking on that giant snake (which is how much more dangerous than the one I just killed exacatly?) then after just throwing the one light attack in at that point i have EARNED and now OWN those resources nearby because, you know, that makes jme a bold and courageous warrior king and by default master and owner of all i purvey, right?

last bold: That is a great example... let me tell you why.

At the grocery store, the owners set up the queue and the line and you are bound to follow the rules they set up. if you violate those rules, that is an issue they should deal with but you have violated their rules, not the rules i would like.

In this game, the rules and the queues are setup by the game play itself.

The vast majority of the loot that matters is combat locked, you fight you earn and it cannot be "stolen" by others. it lays their in a glowing yellow heap waiting for you to claim it. nobody else can and they may even get their own.

Fort a smaller portion of the loot, much of it more on the trivla side, the resources are instanced. Everybody gets some if they want it.

For a smaller portion of the loot that matters, the smallest outside of injustice, there is a non-combat race to earn. First to get it, first to take it.

So, see, taking that chest is not like skipping line in the grocery store. ZOS did not setup some queue which you violated.

it is more like a big bin of first come first serve discount goodies... and if you get into a mix-up with one patron while i step by and take the deluxe RAT RACE Extended cut/MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD combo DVD pack... that is not me breaking in line.

but hey, the "its mine if i see it" crowd is not a thing that will go away anytime soon.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
      YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
      "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Betheny
      Betheny
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      People doing this is why I do this too now.

Assume everyone is a scumbag and do it to them first.
    • MasterSpatula
      MasterSpatula
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      A. There's probably nothing that can be done, and almost certainly nothing that will be done.

B. I'm just a tiny bit more cynical about humanity seeing how many people rushed to defend the kind of pathetic lowlife that would even consider doing this.
      "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
    • kargen27
      kargen27
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭

Go figure.

First bold - yes sure, just like you know when a team is leading for three quarters and 14 minutes of an NFL game and during the last minute a weird play results in the other team taking the lead and winning. in any GAME one should expect that if you ALMOST have gotten something everybody else should be prevented from ACTUALLY getting it before you do.

And if they do not do that, then hey, time for a rules change to "fix" it, right?

I mean why in the world should there be any resource that is not combat locked in, so that the guy who kills or does dmg gets the loot too? the game would be so so so much more interesting if all non-injustice resources were combat locked like far and away most are now of the ones that matter, right?

Italics, yes to fight the monster because that is what they are doing. HINT: Fighting a mudcrab doesn't give you dibs on anything you want nearby, even if it is right under the mudcrabs lethal and dangerous claws "OMG maybe i will lose to the mudcrab and not get the resource."

When did everyone suddenly start acting like beating overland mobs near nodes was some sort of challenge of epic proportions earning you treasure troves ABOVE AND BEYOND the ones that drop from the mob?

I mean, so we have this giant snake here under this tree... standing by itself, if i kill it after an epic one-on-one tooth and nail nail-biter of a contest to rival Santa Claus vs The Martians or Bert vs Ernie: The Grudge match, then I have earned through blood and sweat and courage the drop from the snake.

But that snake under that other tree with the chest and the nirnroot node close by, well if i engage in that epic war, taking on that giant snake (which is how much more dangerous than the one I just killed exacatly?) then after just throwing the one light attack in at that point i have EARNED and now OWN those resources nearby because, you know, that makes jme a bold and courageous warrior king and by default master and owner of all i purvey, right?

last bold: That is a great example... let me tell you why.

At the grocery store, the owners set up the queue and the line and you are bound to follow the rules they set up. if you violate those rules, that is an issue they should deal with but you have violated their rules, not the rules i would like.

In this game, the rules and the queues are setup by the game play itself.

The vast majority of the loot that matters is combat locked, you fight you earn and it cannot be "stolen" by others. it lays their in a glowing yellow heap waiting for you to claim it. nobody else can and they may even get their own.

Fort a smaller portion of the loot, much of it more on the trivla side, the resources are instanced. Everybody gets some if they want it.

For a smaller portion of the loot that matters, the smallest outside of injustice, there is a non-combat race to earn. First to get it, first to take it.

So, see, taking that chest is not like skipping line in the grocery store. ZOS did not setup some queue which you violated.

it is more like a big bin of first come first serve discount goodies... and if you get into a mix-up with one patron while i step by and take the deluxe RAT RACE Extended cut/MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD combo DVD pack... that is not me breaking in line.

but hey, the "its mine if i see it" crowd is not a thing that will go away anytime soon.

you are right you won't go away so best to just ign..
      and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
    • Taleof2Cities
      Taleof2Cities
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      sarbonn wrote: »
      It's one of those problems where people can be real crappy, and unfortunately, the game has nothing designed to curtail such a thing.

^This.^

What I do is announce the player in zone chat after the misdeed happens.

The player usually responds in one of two ways: Either they apologize and move on, or, they are rude and petty ... denying anything happened.

If they happen to be on a farming route (while being rude and petty) I follow them for a few minutes to intercept their nodes/chests until it sinks in.

The flip side is I've had a lot of standoffs at a chest with nice players, too ... until one of us backs up, e-motes, or says something in chat. B)

Edited by Taleof2Cities on June 23, 2017 2:20AM
    • CMFan1966
      CMFan1966
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I agree with the OP to a point. I don't think the game should be changed exactly, but I wish people weren't so cutthroat about chests. If you are fighting through a mob to get to it, you've earned that chest. If you are standing practically on top of it fighting the mob so you can open it and someone takes it while you are fighting, that's just dirty.

I believe in being kind to my fellow players until they do something to me to cause me to have a change of heart. Yes, I believe in Karma even in a video game.
    • GreyWolf_79
      GreyWolf_79
      ✭✭✭✭
      I try not to steal chests / nodes from people fighting mobs in the immediate vicinity. Not because I 'have' to, but out of politeness and respect. I'd be a little upset if somebody stole my prize while I was in the middle of fighting something that they didn't even at least help with.

That being said. If you go to pick a lock on a chest, and you fail? That chest is mine. That's a L2L issue (learn to lockpick). Not my fault you don't know how tumblers work.
    • Vapirko
      Vapirko
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Better yet, if someone takes your chest your then allowed to attack person pvp style.
    • Morgul667
      Morgul667
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Vapirko wrote: »
      Better yet, if someone takes your chest your then allowed to attack person pvp style.

This would be nice. And if they die you get the chest loot as well as some of their gold % (not in bank, just the a % of the gold on char). Give them something to be afraid of, for stealing :-D
      Edited by Morgul667 on June 23, 2017 3:47AM
    • Malnutrition
      Malnutrition
      ✭✭✭
      RIP Justice system.

RIP Mordred server, DAoC.
    • Axoinus
      Axoinus
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      MMO.

High number of "other people" play the game.

Meaningless till someone does math and thinks in through.

• LordSkyKnight
      LordSkyKnight
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It's pretty sad mechanisms have to be put in place to curtail this kind of behavior. MMOs sure bring out the worst in people. When there are no laws in place, the scum will take any advantage they can get.

It always crack me up when the scum call the people who point out these problems the whiners.
      "And it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days. The fact that the word "monetized" exists points to the heart of the issue for us: We don't want the player to worry about which parts of the game to pay for - with our system, they get it all."
      - Matt Firor
    • Tan9oSuccka
      Tan9oSuccka
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      The best advice I can provide is....wait them out.

Most have the attention span of an earthworm and will attack the mob. Return the favor, take the chest.

If you see a chest, always check for little scrubs waiting for you to aggro nearby mobs.

Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
      -Berj Stoneheart
    • Faulgor
      Faulgor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Chest etiquette is dead it seems.

People open chests while you are clearing the area.
      People sprint (Maneuver + 60 speed mount) past you when you are clearly walking towards the chest.
      People leave items in an unlocked chest so it doesn't respawn.

It's griefing. ZOS deliberately tried to avoid something like this in other areas (e.g. why we didn't get the full Justice System), so I don't see why they couldn't find a solution for this. Overworld chests could behave like dungeon chests so everyone in the area can open an unlocked chest, for example. Not a huge area, maybe 15-20 meters.
      Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
      Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
    • Dr.NRG
      Dr.NRG
      ✭✭✭✭
      Who cares about chests lol 99% chance of garbage drops
    • KochDerDamonen
      KochDerDamonen
      ✭✭✭✭✭

I loathe trolls.. *sigh*
      "people who disagree with me are trolls"[elipsis] *roleplay tags*

As someone who prefers a grittier world, I don't think enough player-on-player theft, and other such criminal interactions, is allowed. I also understand that the further in that direction a game is, the more likely it is to have some sort of elite-oldschool players who make the whole game unfun for everyone else. So, I'll take it as-is. :3
      Edited by KochDerDamonen on June 23, 2017 5:27AM
      If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].