The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What traits to research first as a Stamina Nightblade? (Expert PvP/PvE Stamblades plz help)

kgrizzle
kgrizzle
✭✭✭
Just learned about crafting in this game and how incredibly long it takes to research traits. So I'm here looking for expert PvP/PvE Stamina Nightblades to tell me what traits to research first, and for which type of weapon/armor.

I almost *** myself when I found out you have to research the same Trait for each type of armor/weapon. That is going to take a LONG TIME.
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All o' dem.

Seriously though. You'll eventually want all of the traits to craft 9 trait sets like Twice Born Star or Clever Alchemist. If you're buying/looking for specific pieces to start with, I'd start with Sharp/Precise/Defending and Divines/Infused/Impen as those are the most all around usefull traits. But again, the important part is to start early, IMO.
  • kgrizzle
    kgrizzle
    ✭✭✭
    All o' dem.

Seriously though. You'll eventually want all of the traits to craft 9 trait sets like Twice Born Star or Clever Alchemist. If you're buying/looking for specific pieces to start with, I'd start with Sharp/Precise/Defending and Divines/Infused/Impen as those are the most all around usefull traits. But again, the important part is to start early, IMO.

Yea I realize that, but I want to get the most important ones for a Stamblade first because it's going to take so long to get them all
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kgrizzle wrote: »
    All o' dem.

Yea I realize that, but I want to get the most important ones for a Stamblade first because it's going to take so long to get them all

The above listed ones are the pretty much undisputed best traits for Stamblade, or any damage dealer, really. Hope that helps. :)
  • kgrizzle
    kgrizzle
    ✭✭✭
    All o' dem.

The above listed ones are the pretty much undisputed best traits for Stamblade, or any damage dealer, really. Hope that helps. :)

Ok thank you
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also learn Training early on if you're not at top levels...
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Didz
    Didz
    ✭✭
    Like Tevalaur I started with Training, and Prosperous, simply because they are the most asked for by new players looking for crafted gear. After that I focussed on the ones I wanted to use in my character builds (in my case Divines) and then tried to research evenly so that the research timer was as short as possible on each item and i could unlock the sets in the shortest time possible.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Didz "Prosperous"??? Wow, I've never seen anyone on PC-NA consider that anything but a junk trait no matter how new or low level the one seeking gear is. What server is it popular on?

Also, what does seem to be gaining popularity (although not as suitable as other traits to a Stamina DPS build) is the "Sturdy" trait, presumably due to the stamina regen issues many tanks encounter with the Morrowind update.
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    When I started questing, literally everything that I picked up /earned while questing was brought to the corresponding table and I checked to see if I could research them or deconstruct them to level up. That seemed to be the best and easiest way without having to buy specific things later to acquire the correct traits.

Training is really good for leveling, but I like Divines on most of my armor and Sharpening on my weapons.

Definitely NOT an expert by any means though.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
    "Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, I don't think prosperous is a trait that is high priority either.
  • Mysteri0n
    Mysteri0n
    ✭✭✭
    Prosperous is a must have trait
    Lore Council Conclave of Shadows, Trade Council in Knights Arcanum
    Officer Celestials of Nirn, Proud Member of Enders Jeesh .Stam Sorc Since Beta 2014
    #ARGONIANMASTERRACE
  • Mysteri0n
    Mysteri0n
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously divines impen sharpen precise infused then nirn
    Lore Council Conclave of Shadows, Trade Council in Knights Arcanum
    Officer Celestials of Nirn, Proud Member of Enders Jeesh .Stam Sorc Since Beta 2014
    #ARGONIANMASTERRACE
  • kgrizzle
    kgrizzle
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. The only other thing I'm still kind of confused about is some sets requiring like 3+ traits researched per slot...

I don't even understand my own question lol, hopefully that's something I'll figure out when I get close to 50
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. The only other thing I'm still kind of confused about is some sets requiring like 3+ traits researched per slot...

I don't even understand my own question lol, hopefully that's something I'll figure out when I get close to 50

This just means that you have to have at least X amount of traits researched for the specific piece you want to make in a set. For example, if you want to make a helm (Eternal Hunt set) you would have had to have researched 9 traits to be able to craft the set helm, even if you have all of the materials.

You can see this by going to your research and looking at how many traits you have on each piece. Hope I answered your question.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
    "Sweet Mother, Sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
    Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
    Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
  • FlyLionel
    FlyLionel
    ✭✭✭✭

You want a deaths wind shield? You must have 2 traits on a shield researched before you can make it, so reinforced and infused is what you have researched already for shield...Great you can make a deaths wind shield. It's a 5PC set though so one shield will not fulfill it alone. Time to make a one hander that you have researched 2+ traits on as well; also 3 body pieces....2+3=5pc tadaa. Etc etc.
    The Flyers
  • kgrizzle
    kgrizzle
    ✭✭✭
    Idylliqe wrote: »

This just means that you have to have at least X amount of traits researched for the specific piece you want to make in a set. For example, if you want to make a helm (Eternal Hunt set) you would have had to have researched 9 traits to be able to craft the set helm, even if you have all of the materials.

You can see this by going to your research and looking at how many traits you have on each piece. Hope I answered your question.

I see, I've been focusing on medium armor only and DW/Bow thus far for this reason. Does it matter which specific traits are researched for the set requirement? Or does it literally say something like, "you must have three traits researched of any kind for this specific item slot"
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    Idylliqe wrote: »

I see, I've been focusing on medium armor only and DW/Bow thus far for this reason. Does it matter which specific traits are researched for the set requirement? Or does it literally say something like, "you must have three traits researched of any kind for this specific item slot"

Well, technically it can be ANY traits as long as you have the right number of them researched. However, I strongly recommend you look up what you want your end of game build to be because they often recommend traits. For example, I have divines on all of my armor pretty much and sharpened for my weapons. I would try to make those a part of the trait pool that you choose.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what's with the ridiculous timers associated with learning traits!?!! We're talking 30 days+ of real life time for some of these!!!

I don't recall other MMOs having this issue in their crafting systems (certainly not 30+ real world days to do a single piece of research).

ZOS likes nerfs? I have an idea, NERF the @!*#&%!@ outta these ridiculous timers.
  • Idylliqe
    Idylliqe
    ✭✭✭
    @QuebraRegra Yes, this is an issue. I have seen some ridiculous timers. It really halts your progress too as you are waiting for 30 years to finish one thing.

If anyone has any insight as to WHY they think they are necessary, I would be interested to hear it.
    NA PS4
    Stamina Nightblade
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what's with the ridiculous timers associated with learning traits!?!! We're talking 30 days+ of real life time for some of these!!!

I don't recall other MMOs having this issue in their crafting systems (certainly not 30+ real world days to do a single piece of research).

ZOS likes nerfs? I have an idea, NERF the @!*#&%!@ outta these ridiculous timers.

Unfortunately, ZOS "nerfing the timer" would be making it 6 months for the final trait instead of a base of 60 days (without any skill points in improved research). So please DO NOT ask for a nerf to the timers...
  • Didz
    Didz
    ✭✭
    The obvious reason is to stop players simply power-levelling to CP160, and then returning to blitz the crafting process afterwards.

Instead it requires players to undergo a steady progression of research to acquire traits over a long period. Thus rewarding players whose crafters put in the time and effort to learn their trade.

The advice on this issue has been clear since day one, when I first picked up the game. 'Start researching traits immediately, as it takes ages to complete all nine. '

That and Mount Training are two activities that simply can't be blitzed, and need commitment over a long time period.
    ++++
    Sorry! Slight thread necro here, but I wanted to justify my earlier comment that both 'Training' and 'Prosperous' are good early traits to research as a crafter.

A lot of you above accepted 'Training' as a must have early trait, but dismissed the need for 'Prosperous'. I suspect the reason for this is that the vast majority of players visiting these forums are elitist gamers fresh from MMO's like WoW, and heavily into power-levelling.

So, naturally it makes sense that on their low-level characters they are going to go for 'Training' as a trait, because it boosts their XP gain. And to be fair 'Training' gear is without doubt the most popular request from new customers, and most levelling guilds recommend it to new players.

However, not every customer that comes to a crafter for help has that motivation, there are some who want to boost their income rather than their XP, and so as a crafter you need to be able to cater for both types of customer.

Check this video out and, skip to about '2.15' where stan explains the importance of getting your hands on some Prosperous gear.
    https://youtu.be/ybUBFR9TAWc
    Nuff! said.
    Edited by Didz on June 21, 2017 12:58PM