Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Overwhelmed By The Combat System

Breidr
Breidr
Played this game awhile ago when I grabbed it on sale. I was quickly overwhelmed by the combat mechanics on my Nord Dragonknight. Never did power through it and kind of stopped playing.

With the release of Morrowind I wanted to give it another shot. I own a lot of the DLC already so what have I got to lose.

I just can't seem to bridge the gap between my speed and the combat. I'm more at home on slower games. In terms of MMOs I favored tab targeting combat. Heck, some of FFXIV got a bit too fast.

Are there "slower" styles of play? Or is it all pretty fast due to the nature of the game?

At least ability bloat isn't a problem. Right?
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The overworld PvE part is very forgiving. Get yourself a good set of heavy armor, and you can play through most of the content half-asleep. Basically, the combat mechanics are block the yellow sparks, bash the red sparks, and don't stand in fire, then you will be fine (and probably even if you do stand in fire, it doesn't hurt very much).

If you are on PC EU, send me mail ingame to @stax77, i can make you a blue set for free.
    Edited by Sharee on June 16, 2017 10:56AM
  • Breidr
    Breidr
    One more thing I wanted to ask about. Animation Cancelling

Something I never quite understood and may not have the speed to do. Are there classes that have less cancels than others, or is it pretty universal?
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Breidr wrote: »
    One more thing I wanted to ask about. Animation Cancelling

Something I never quite understood and may not have the speed to do. Are there classes that have less cancels than others, or is it pretty universal?

You don't really need it for open world, only if you choose to engage in endgame content. In open world, you can basically just heavy attack all the things to death. I'd say it's easier on a magicka build because you have easier access to heals(there's a stamina heal but you need to PvP to get it) and damage shields.

Sorcs for example can have s very lazy playstyle with pets but in hesitant to recommend that with recent changes(pets no longer regenerate health whatsoever meaning you have to heal them).
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    How much have you played?

Theres a learning curve to mmos. Your combos will become muscle memory with time.
    Nevermind cancelling. Thats endgame stuff. Focus on the world and the quests and enjoy the ride. Before you know it youll be fighting as fast as the next guy :)