The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is Leeching Strikes better (less awful) now?

argouru
argouru
✭✭✭
Has anyone tested the most recent (3.0.5) version of Leeching Strikes yet? Is it more usable than the 3.0.4 version?
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    105 stamina per attack, 20 second duration, rally-alike stam return based on time. I didn't change my build at all from last patch (5 archers mind 5 hundings 2 kvatch daggers and maelstrom bow), and I have to say...kind of satisfied. The heal can crit to 3k, making it a mini surge that also restores a fair chunk of resources. If you wait 5 seconds and recast, you gain stamina overall (or let it ride).

8/10
  • Arrchangell
    Arrchangell
    ✭✭✭
    I mean it is better, i still think they should make it cost magicka instead of stamina. Think it will be good then, no need to buff it. Right now as a stamnb i don't have a single magicka skill slotted, so 10k magicka pool that's never being used.
  • lonewolf26
    lonewolf26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to echo the wish for this to cost magicka instead of stamina. It's a buff, but it's draining from our active resource pool, which is already overloaded due to damage, utility and defense.
    Edited by lonewolf26 on May 23, 2017 8:31PM
  • argouru
    argouru
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. I mean sorcs have opposite-resource costs for their resource management skill, so why can't nbs get that too?
  • Shadzilla
    Shadzilla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    argouru wrote: »
    I agree. I mean sorcs have opposite-resource costs for their resource management skill, so why can't nbs get that too?

Yea well sorcs also get to hit 60k+ single target damage along with the most aoe/cleave damage in the game, all while being ranged and out of harms way. Accompanied by stackable massive fake health shields that cannot be crit. Nbs haven't been the OP meta ever, in this games entire life.
    Has anyone tested the most recent (3.0.5) version of Leeching Strikes yet? Is it more usable than the 3.0.4 version?

The skill has been completely murdered. The one thing nightblades had was sustain. Really didn't matter at all because every class had unlimited resources. Now, as soon as resources become important, siphoning strikes gets DESTROYED. As of now, it is not even worth running siphoning strikes on your bar.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shadzilla wrote: »

Yea well sorcs also get to hit 60k+ single target damage along with the most aoe/cleave damage in the game, all while being ranged and out of harms way. Accompanied by stackable massive fake health shields that cannot be crit. Nbs haven't been the OP meta ever, in this games entire life.

The skill has been completely murdered. The one thing nightblades had was sustain. Really didn't matter at all because every class had unlimited resources. Now, as soon as resources become important, siphoning strikes gets DESTROYED. As of now, it is not even worth running siphoning strikes on your bar.

Gotta disagree heavy with the bold m8, sorry. I don't know where you're getting the idea the heal or resources aren't worth slotting. It definally could use a little buff, but it is not, by any means, dead.
  • Dapper Dinosaur
    Dapper Dinosaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    Shadzilla wrote: »

Gotta disagree heavy with the bold m8, sorry. I don't know where you're getting the idea the heal or resources aren't worth slotting. It definally could use a little buff, but it is not, by any means, dead.

Unless they reverted the change, siphoning strikes no longer restores anything except health. So literally the one thing that made mgicka NBs able to DPS in PVE even remotely competitively is now gone.
  • Bladerunner1
    Bladerunner1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Leeching could make a good alternative to using extremely expensive vigor in PVE, that's the only positive thing I can come up with.

I've been getting much better single target DPS without leeching slotted, but slightly worse AOE DPS due to lack of resources, still not enough to change my mind and slot it. Things would probably be a lot different for me with a Vicious Ophidian set slotted.

The heals are completely unnecessary if there's a healer nearby, and the damage mitigation from the champion system is very front-loaded, up to the point where my stamblade feels about as tough as a tank in PVE.
    Edited by Bladerunner1 on May 24, 2017 1:53PM
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's better than the first few patches, but still isn't all that great. I think they also reduced the cost. It costs about 900 mag on my stamblade.

I'm guessing if you never had resource issues before the patch you probably don't mind it, but those of us who sometimes struggled to not run out of resources (especially on solo content like VMA) it's painful.

I'd prefer to see it cost opposite (mag to get back stam, vice versa). See the amount returned increased and also have it return a smaller amount of the other resource. I found on my magblade it sucked not having any stam to dodge/breakfree and no real way to get any.

So Leeching would cost mag, give back 300-400 stam + 100 mag, end of duration 4k stam, 2k mag.
    Siphoning Attacks would cost stam, give back 300-400 mag + 100 stam, end of duration 4k mag, 2k stam.

I think that would put it more on par with Dark Deal/Exchange.
  • Dracindo
    Dracindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it better now. It may cost stamina, rather than just being a toggleable, but it no longer affects my overall damage. If I needed stamina, I could've just drank a stamina potion, but I don't want to my DPS to suffer while I regenerate stamina.

If some people say it could be better, then okay, maybe it should, but it's certainly an improvement.
  • Sikthlight08xz
    The sustain this gave was great, Allowed nb to run hybrid builds.. Its the reason i chose to main the class. It was a fun niche!
    Now they killed it because they want people to use boringly slow heavy attacks. What other reason could there be to nerf this? NB's were never meta op not even once lmao.

Regain is pitiful now, especially since it no longer procs of skills. Spamming light gets a meager amount back and the timer is ridiculous. I do not need it in 20 secs i need it right away. Who literally thought this was a good idea? i want names dammit

Now my nb is basically a sorc-wanabe that needs restoration staff's heavy attack just to get enough magicka back.. this skill is not worth slotting now.

My take_

[aoe proc only once per use, not per enemy hit]
    Skill regain fixed%
    Light regain only half% of what skill-use gains
    Medium-Heavy regain only 2/3 of what skill-use gains

- Base - % of max health regained per light/heavy/skill
    - Morph 1 % of max stam&magicka regained per light/heavy/skill
    - Morph 2 % of max health&stam&magicka regained ONLY per light/heavy

Thought nb was supposed to be single target dps, why does sorc have that place? Trying to figure out what nb's are now good for..