The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Physical Morrowind Collectors Edition - Only one code inside?

James-Wayne
James-Wayne
✭✭✭✭✭
I've bought the physical edition because on ESO Live they said you could use the Morrowind serial code for your current game (to upgrade it) and then you get a separate code to give to your partner for a second account or whatever you want to do however I only have one code!

If I apply this code to my account do I lose the chance of getting a second account for the partner?
PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
529 people have also earned this badge.
  • TwilightPrincess
    I wonder about this too. One of the reasons I went for the Physical CE was because of the fact that I could give the base game to a friend and upgrade my own account to the CE of Morrowind. I mean, why would I want to buy the base game twice?
    PC/EU
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    Raiding with 'Omnia Vincit'
    Guild Mistress of 'Eternal Embers'
    Options
  • DschiPeunt
    DschiPeunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I am curious about that as well. Gina stated back then, that it would be possible to get a second account:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3742691#Comment_3742691
    UrQuan wrote: »
    OK @ZOS_GinaBruno having read that FAQ it doesn't answer this question:

If you already own ESO, you'll see this error message. You'll want to get the Digital CE upgrade in this case.

But I can buy the physical morrowind collector's edition (with the statue) and add that code to my existing ESO account, yes?
    Some of us really want the physical collector's edition but want to apply the code to our existing accounts. Is this possible? If it is, since the physical collector's edition comes with the base game, do we get to have another account?

As in:
    I already have account Ur-Quan. If I buy the physical collector's edition can I apply the expansion pack to my Ur-Quan account, and then have another new account (call it Ur-Quan_Kzer-Za) that wouldn't have the expansion pack?

Yes, you can do that.

Otherwise I wouldn't have bought the physical CE. If anyone has figured out how to do it, help would be appreciated.
    Server: EU AD || Guilds: EquinoX

Telleno || Dro-M'Athra Destroyer || Magicka DK || My YouTube-Channel || Profile on ESO-Database

World 1st vMoL Hardmode
    World 1st vHRC Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vAA Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vSO Hardmode (Dark Brotherhood)
    Options
  • Yuls
    Yuls
    ✭✭✭✭

DschiPeunt wrote: »
    Yeah, I am curious about that as well. Gina stated back then, that it would be possible to get a second account:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3742691#Comment_3742691

I'm not sure she did. Read #87? https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3747806/#Comment_3747806

Options
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yuls wrote: »

I'm not sure she did. Read #87? https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3747806/#Comment_3747806
    Wow, that's super confusing..
    Because this:
    To clarify, you will not be able to split Morrowind from the base game.
    (which I interpret as: you will not be able to use the Morrowind (code?) from your physical CE on any other account than the one that came with said physical CE) Is entirely contradictory to this:
    (I thought you were asking about applying Morrowind from the physical CE to an existing account - sorry for the confusion!)
    Since that ís what they were asking about.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    Could you clarify once more, what is and isn't possible?
    Can people apply Morrowind from the physical CE to an already existing account?
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
    Options
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    PC only has one code, and this can be applied to existing accounts (but only one, obviously).
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Dissentinel
    Dissentinel
    ✭✭✭
    PC only has one code, and this can be applied to existing accounts (but only one, obviously).

I really wish this had been made more clear earlier on, as I would have bought a physical CE if I had known that for sure.
    Options
  • TwilightPrincess

But what about the base game code? Do we still get one or is all that talk about it completely forgotten?
    PC/EU
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    Options
  • Saturnana
    Saturnana
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So yes, OP loses the chance of getting a second account for the partner?
    As in; the only code in the box can either be used to create an entirely new ESO+Morrowind combo, or to upgrade an existing ESO account to the ESO+Morrowind combo, in which case the base ESO copy that came with the physical CE is forfeited?
    @Saturnna | PC / EU

Nâmae Rin : Dragonknight | Dr Milodas Ra'Himo : Templar | Mira Motierre : Sorceress
    Plays-ln-Puddles : Warden  |  Lady Neria : Dragonknight   | Philadore : Nightblade  
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Ha! I do love it when the mortals know they're being manipulated. Makes things infinitely more interesting."
                                      - Sheogorath
    Options
  • Yuls
    Yuls
    ✭✭✭✭

But what about the base game code? Do we still get one or is all that talk about it completely forgotten?

As I understand it, there is one code in the box. You can use it for a completely new account (base game + Morrowind), or you can use it on your existing account. If you use it on your existing account to upgrade it to Morrowind, it's gone afterwards. There's no second code of the base game to give away.

From the german forum:

Ja, ähnlich wie die Gold-Edition schaltet der Code Morrorwind frei, aber vorhandene Inhalte (in diesem Fall das Grundspiel verfallen dann, sprich der Code lässt sich nicht noch ein zweiten Mal einlösen, um das Grundspiel ohne Morrorwind freizuschalten.

Options
  • Woeler
    Woeler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression you would get one basegame code and one code to upgrade a basegame to Morrowind, allowing existing players to give the base game away. Bummer.
    Options
  • TwilightPrincess

As I understand it, there is one code in the box. You can use it for a completely new account (base game + Morrowind), or you can use it on your existing account. If you use it on your existing account to upgrade it to Morrowind, it's gone afterwards. There's no second code of the base game to give away.

I understand that, but multiple times there has been said it would contain two codes. So why didn't it? Why did we buy something we didn't get? I mean, I lost about €20 because I already own the game.
    I'm not saying I am angry, just very disappointed.

Don't make promises that you won't keep, zenimax.
    PC/EU
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    Options
  • DschiPeunt
    DschiPeunt
    ✭✭✭✭

Ah, yeah, I didn't know about that second comment. I asked this question on the Official Pre-Order FAQ Thread:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3743150/#Comment_3743150

And in this thread another user quoted Gina's response from the other thread:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3747359/#Comment_3747359

I don't know, why nobody from ZOS was able to answer this question on the official thread.

It seems obvious to me now, that it wasn't only me, that was under the impression, that splitting the base game and the Morrowind expansion would be possible. It even made sense to me, that it would be possible, to give an extra incentive to buy the physical CE for those of us, who already own the base game. After all, it was more than a hundred bucks, that we spend on a game, that we already own and (at least in my case) sub to monthly.
    So, I'm disappointed and quite underwhelmed by the bad communication on this topic.

Seems to me, I have to rest my sub for some months to compensate for the extra money I spend on something, that I won't get.
    Server: EU AD || Guilds: EquinoX

Telleno || Dro-M'Athra Destroyer || Magicka DK || My YouTube-Channel || Profile on ESO-Database

World 1st vMoL Hardmode
    World 1st vHRC Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vAA Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vSO Hardmode (Dark Brotherhood)
    Options
  • Ralen
    Ralen
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously ZOS...

I am shocked to learn that for the fairly high price of this collector's edition, we do not, AT LEAST, have a base game code!
    Gaharikhan de l'Arador Dayn
    Options
  • Ralen
    Ralen
    ✭✭✭
    It seems obvious to me now, that it wasn't only me, that was under the impression, that splitting the base game and the Morrowind expansion would be possible.

Yeah, you're not alone on this misunderstanding... I had this impression too and moreover when I saw this on the presale page :

694514Capture.jpg

For me it was clear that we were going to have two code... An upgrading code for Morrowind and base game code... So disappointing now...

Gaharikhan de l'Arador Dayn
    Options
  • WhiskeyJac
    WhiskeyJac
    ✭✭✭
    nvm , wasted money without reading everything , my mistake
    Edited by WhiskeyJac on June 6, 2017 3:48PM
    Options
  • DobbaDeuce
    DobbaDeuce
    ✭✭✭
    Ralen wrote: »
    It seems obvious to me now, that it wasn't only me, that was under the impression, that splitting the base game and the Morrowind expansion would be possible.

Yeah, you're not alone on this misunderstanding... I had this impression too and moreover when I saw this on the presale page :

694514Capture.jpg

For me it was clear that we were going to have two code... An upgrading code for Morrowind and base game code... So disappointing now...

Same here. This graphic showing what is included in the different editions definitely leads one to believe they are buying the base game in such a way that it can be used separately from the included Morrowind chapter (they're listed as two different items).

Looking back at the advertised page:
    elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2017/01/31/the-elder-scrolls-online-morrowind-pre-order-faq

"CAN I UPGRADE MY EXISTING ESO ACCOUNT TO THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE: MORROWIND IF I BUY THE PHYSICAL COLLECTOR'S EDITION?
    If you're an existing ESO player and you purchase the Morrowind Collector's Edition (physical or digital), the included code will work with your existing account. Applying the Morrowind game code to an existing ESO account will unlock Morrowind for that account so you can venture to Vvardenfell with all your current characters (or your new Warden!)"

Then on the purchase page:
    elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/joinus

"Also includes the first game of the acclaimed online RPG series."

The fact that they say you can use the "Morrowind game code" to upgrade an existing account while also trying to imply that the base game is the "First game of the acclaimed online RPG series" leads one to believe that they are viewing the Morrowind chapter as a separate game. This easily leads to the conclusion that we would and should get two separate codes.
    Tamriel-616 - A Chronicle of Tamriel's Heroes
    Jollo | Daggerfall | Templar | Lvl 47 | Blackwater Blade
    Vidarr
    | Ebonheart | Sorcerer | Lvl 26 | Chillrend
    J'Pummra
    | Aldmeri | Dragonknight | Lvl 13 | Thornblade
    Options
  • TwilightPrincess
    Well, after a few mails back and forth they don't agree with me and we're not getting a base-game code.
    They are losing me bit by bit, but just not enough to make me quit. Yet.

Hope they see this post and think this through for the next chapter/upgrade.
    If not completely get rid of 'upgrades'.
    PC/EU
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    Options
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I've certainly learnt my lesson... Won't happen again.

Options
  • Aerisnoir
    Aerisnoir
    Soul Shriven
    For archive purposes and for marketing team learning purposes:

1. I wholeheartedly agree with @DobbaDeuce and @Ralen . The schematic and text gives the impression that the base game is a separate key on all fronts. It's why I ordered it.

2. Additionally, the page describes the CE as: "This premier edition is for the ultimate fan".
    If you advertise this edition as for your ultimate fans, and since this is the only edition to hold physical rewards (statue/book), then by now (after all the singleplayer games) you should know that your ultimate fans are the fans who also bought the first ESO physical CE and thus have the base game already. They want the extras. That's what makes them your game's ultimate fans. You cannot possibly not know this.

3. You hurt nothing from shipping base game and upgrade separately. The game is paid for, you get the revenue, and whoever already has the base game can bring in another player to introduce to the world of Elder Scrolls who can shop at your in-game shop and convert to a new player for a next installment. So shipping base game and upgrade merged is a missed opportunity and not really 'for the ultimate fan'.

I hope you can carry the lesson from this going forward and improve.
    Options
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with all of the above.

My partner would most certainly have shopped for cosmetics on the crown store much more then I do. The base game is 3 years old they're not hurting their sales by getting more players on board, missed opportunity.

I really hope the marketing and communication teams learn from this.

Options
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also disappointed to find this out as well. I guess it's my fault for not digging though 80+ posts on random forum thread beforehand to figure out that the base game code isn't separate.

Shame cause some players could have given away the base game code and possibly gotten more players to join in the game.

I considered having a 2nd account...oh well, less crowns to buy then.
    Options
  • Rhoric
    Rhoric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are always assuming things. It is one code and one code only. If there was 2 codes it would have said so.
    Options
  • ValeriaLencolia
    ValeriaLencolia
    Soul Shriven
    What an awful decision on ZOS's part to have only a single code, that completely devalues the point of including the base game in the CE for people who already play the game, yet again just another example of companies giving the finger to their current customers.

Not that I suppose good marketing should be expected from a company that tries to sell the Celestial Motiff to people for 6000 crowns when its worth about 40k gold.
    Options
  • ValeriaLencolia
    ValeriaLencolia
    Soul Shriven
    More importantly perhaps someone at ZOS can explain how this is not simply ripping people off? If you already own the game and apply the code, the code doesn't even add game time or give you anything at all. When you purchased the CE, the BASE GAME was included as part of what you paid for, but you already have it so you aren't actually receiving anything. ZOS is advertising and charging people for a product that is not being delivered.
    Options
  • zulikab14_ESO
    zulikab14_ESO
    ✭✭
    The question was asked many times in different places which you can still google up - on these forums, reddit, etc.

I thought I remember someone from ZOS confirming you could give your base to a friend at one point too, but I cannot find evidence to it. I can only find the community assumptions. I am not that dialed in to ESO news as most though so my memory could indeed be false.
    Options
  • ShedsHisTail
    ShedsHisTail
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See... Now THIS looks like a proper bait and switch. :p
    "As an online discussion of Tamrielic Lore grows longer, the probability of someone blaming a Dragon Break approaches 1." -- Sheds' Law
    Have you seen the Twin Lamps?
    Options
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The physical CE was already a fantastic deal as one copy. Especially if you ordered through Amazon the day it went on sale for an even deeper discount. I'm failing to even get to the mindset that you'd get 2 copies for the price of one...
    Options
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    In what post did ZoS actually said 2 codes?
    Options
  • Cêltic421
    Cêltic421
    ✭✭✭✭
    On PC did the base game contain a code? Consoles didn't. If PC didn't than just give your old copy to whomever.
    Options