The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.1 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Tel Galen: Telvanni House Review

Earrindo
Earrindo
✭✭✭✭✭
I suppose I will post this here, though I fear it is too late.

This is a review and selection of suggestions for Tel Galen, the Telvanni tower home that will become available at some point. It is on the PTS but remains unavailable for purchase, and can only be toured if discovered in person.

This house is listed, at least in the F5 preview window as a "Notable Home" yet there are many elements that make it notable only in that it is a Telvanni Tower.

The island itself is quite nice, though much of it is blockaded off by the entrance walls/doors. I am not sure why they didn't landscape the island to support more grounds, but the grounds that are there are actually very nice. A bit steep and hilly, but there's plenty of room down by the dock and a multitude of mushrooms.

The entrance hall/foyer:
To summarize briefly from a similar post I made in the closed beta forums, this room is completely underwhelming. It is too small, and the space there is is completely overwhelmed by the teleport pad structure.
The entrance hall of Tel Naga is exquisitely designed, spacious, high ceilings and of course the raised level around half the room adds so much in terms of basic interior structure. It is wonderfully designed and would make an excellent foyer for Tel Galen.
Failing that, the teleport pad structure needs to be toned down, or the room itself needs to be made larger/taller so it can actually be used as a room, because currently it is just way too small to do anything interesting with it.

The small side rooms:
These rooms need to not be named. Please just set the door text to say Tel Galen, as opposed to "suggesting" purposes for the rooms and making it awkward to use them for anything else.

The rooms themselves border on useless. So many rooms in other Telvanni towers are wonderfully laid out with alcoves, daises, high ceilings etc that make them feel so much more wondrous. Not so in Tel Galen. These side rooms are cramped, boring, and the fungal growths in 2/3 of the rooms either are nonexistent, which leaves us with a boring stone room, or overwhelming, making decorating nigh impossible.
The only exception is the room that has the fungal root cage thing, that is pretty cool and could be used for any number of things.

The upper tower:
This is just super disappointing. Small, low ceiling, and boring fungal growths. Tel Mora and the Council Tower both have amazing upper levels, and either one would make a better choice. Tel Mora with its height, its space, the intriguing alcoves and raised floors, the "skylight" which adds such wonderful ambiance etc.
But especially the Council Tower upper chamber. The overgrown soulgems, the high ceilings, the space, the wonderfully arrayed space, and the abundance of growths make is a superb upper tower.

Additional suggestions:
The basement in Givyn Tower would be an awesome addition! Perfect for crafting, dungeons, vaults, etc, it is simple, not too large and there's enough fungal growth to make it a clearly Telvanni basement.
The Adepts Hall in Tel Naga would make a superb addition to Tel Galen, either replacing the 3 small useless rooms outright or adding it as a 3rd floor ideally.
An outbuilding, like the small homes near Tel Branora or in Sadrith Mora would also be a welcome addition. Ebonheart Chateau has a secondary building, and I don't see why Tel Galen cant have one as well. It would also make a nice homage to the outbuildings of Tel Uvirith.
Rooftop access/balconies are a must in any Telvanni tower. Some kind of rooftop access for stargazing, rituals, dining, you name it, it would be an amazing addition.

Final thoughts:
If any or all of these changes/additions were to be made to Tel Galen, it would easily be the best house in the game. I would hand over 20k crowns (unfurnished!) without blinking. As it stands though, it has less usable space than Mathiisen manor, and at least Mathiisen has balconies and windows.
The Telvanni are near and dear to many, and I sincerely hope it isn't too late to see some changes/additions be made to Tel Galen before it is released.

TL;DR
Please make Tel Galen larger, more interesting and more in line with some of the amazing Telvanni Towers that are already in the game.
I am not asking for something 100% from scratch unique, just please copy/paste some better interior spaces.

To those who may respond;
I am not terribly bothered by the mushroom textures or the stone tower bases. I am not super happy about them but I can deal. Please don't derail my attempt at constructive criticism and suggestions with complaints about those two factors.
Edited by Earrindo on May 28, 2017 6:33PM
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lower level of Tel Galen isn't really an issue for me. It would be nice if it was the same size as Tel Naga's, but then again, Tel Naga is the largest of the Telvanni towers. So it only makes sense for its space to be the biggest. So even though the lower half having Tel Naga's lower half would be EXTREMELY awesome, I wouldn't really complain if it remained as is. Though perhaps it could at least be made the size of the council chamber's lower half, which would make it just a little bit more spacious and add some steps to the teleporter.

The upper half, on the other hand, I DEFINITELY have to agree with you on. It is certainly too small in my opinion. It's actually the size of Therana's chamber in Tel Branora. And her tower isn't even as developed as some of the other towers. Tel Galen shares its model with Tel Mora and the council hall, yet we're given Tel Branora's upper half? I think the upper half should match either Tel Mora or Tel Aruhn.

The side rooms I'm actually kind of fine with, to be honest. Not really much to say about them. The only places where I've seen alcoves or basements really is in the smaller mushroom houses. So the side rooms I'm fine with. Although I do kind of agree that they should be renamed to just "Tel Galen". I don't plan on using those rooms as suites anyway.

Regarding the additional suggestions, I don't think the Adept's Hall in Tel Naga is a good idea really (or the addition of a third floor) since Tel Galen isn't as large as Tel Naga.
    An outbuilding is actually an awesome idea in my opinion! Tel Mora has one, and Amaya Lake Lodge has one. So I don't see any harm in adding a small mushroom house to Tel Galen.
    Rooftop access is not something that exists in any of the Telvanni towers from what I have seen. So if thee Telvanni mages don't have any rooftop access, I don't think it makes sense for Tel Galen to have rooftop access. Although I will admit it would be a nice touch. But I don't think it's as plausible of an addition.
    You mentioned a basement in Givyn Tower...I actually have not even found or seen that location in-game yet. So I will update this post when I take a look at it!
  • Earrindo
    Earrindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TonyRockaroni
    you make some really good points, and I confess, some of my ideas stem from things I wish they had implemented with Telvanni towers in ESO to begin with.

I do have to disagree about the main chamber and smaller side rooms though. I really do feel like they need to be made substantially larger/more interesting to make Tel Galen worthwhile as a Notable home.
    They aren't awful, and they are definitely even serviceable, but that doesnt mean they are grand enough for the house to be put next to Earthtear, Ebonheart, Daggerfall and Serenity Falls, all of which have at least some element of vastness to them.

Tel Galen just feels really dinky, and as opposed to them making it not a Notable Home, I would prefer they expand it to make it worth its placement in the category.
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Ibomez did a wonderous job designing the Telvanni towers, but i definetly agree with oyur points on Tel Galen. Especially the tiny side rooms make it feel very lackluster to me.
    Jo'Khaljor
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Earrindo

Well here's the thing; there's a possibility that Tel Galen might not actually be a notable home. It might end up becoming a large home as a opposed to a manor, from what I've been hearing.

Although my main gripe would still have to be that upper chamber regardless. If anything is going to be reworked, that should be the first thing since, for me at least, it's the biggest drawback.
  • Earrindo
    Earrindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be super depressing, I think, but I absolutely agree about the upper chamber. It is way too small.

Only time will tell but I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt get changed at all before being released, a huge missed opportunity for ZoS in my book.
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come to think of it...one thing these Telvanni towers are missing is fungal vines/roots strewn about. I know there aren't really any that I can think of as furnishings that are available, but I do recall the Bloodthorn Vines you get from the Daggerfall achoevement furnisher. But those are the small ones. The large and massive ones aren't available. I think if those were made available, I'd immediately add them to the tower if I get it!
  • Earrindo
    Earrindo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That thought had already occurred to me, actually, and once I get into Tel Galen, I am going to be experimenting a lot with various trees to try and create some root structures of my own.

but yeah, another cool design opportunity missed with the Telvanni >.<
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Earrindo wrote: »
    That thought had already occurred to me, actually, and once I get into Tel Galen, I am going to be experimenting a lot with various trees to try and create some root structures of my own.

but yeah, another cool design opportunity missed with the Telvanni >.<

Heck, the tower itself is a missed opportunity. If it had looked like...THIS...
    8il69odq80j8.jpg
    Then I think it would have been much more reasonable as a notable home AND a limited time offer. Because THAT is what i think of when I think of a Telvanni tower. If that was what it would've looked like, I would've easily thrown 18,000 crowns at it!

With what we're getting? Nothing even close to this. No fungal vines/roots, not enough earthiness in the textures, mushrooms that look more like they came out of Alice in Wonderland than Morrowind, and no extra smaller buildings like with Amaya Lake Lodge or Grand Topal Hideaway. It's like going into a fancy restaurant, ordering a truffle dish, and instead getting a dish made with button mushrooms. And the sad part? A lot of the elements of Telvanni architecture have been used, but for the Bosmer homes! Just swap out trees for mushrooms and they're pretty much the same thing! XD

I doubt that changes like these will happen, sadly. Telvanni architecture and thee Telvanni tower home make up what is probably the second-biggest disappointment for me when it comes to ESO: Morrowind.

Oh, here's a side-by-side comparison, just for good measure. The second one is a really nice mod from Skyrim on the nexus called Tel Nalta.
    dbr1wa3qiegi.png

Edited by TonyRockaroni on June 3, 2017 10:33PM
  • ExcaliburESO
    ExcaliburESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make Telvanni tower better!
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does remind me of a "big steamer" with some mushrooms growing out of it. Its up there with something an argonian would live in.
    Edited by Banana on June 4, 2017 12:35AM
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    It does remind me of a "big steamer" with some mushrooms growing out of it. Its up there with something an argonian would live in.

Is that so? Lovely! Good thing I play as an Argonian! ;)
  • TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1q9mi8.jpg
  • ExcaliburESO
    ExcaliburESO
    ✭✭✭✭

1q9mi8.jpg

Nice Tony:)