Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Minion doesn't open

MercTheMage
MercTheMage
✭✭✭✭
Anyone know why minion sucks so badly? I can never get it to open, it's running according to my task manager, but the system tray icon isn't there, and i have way too many addons to update manually.
You just going to stand there like a lemon?
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the club, somedays it will open in seconds, others it decides to be a ****
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mac version works great.

Edit: I realize that's completely unhelpful.
    Edited by Vapirko on May 3, 2017 6:51AM
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes it helps to Exit Minion from the tray and relaunch it, sometimes I've experienced that I need to 'launch' it twice afterwards to get it to open.

Ofc atm it isn't launching at all so...
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***
  • Huntsman316
    Huntsman316
    ✭✭
    Mine isn't working either. Is anyone using Bitdefender as their antivirus?
  • Huntsman316
    Huntsman316
    ✭✭
    Just giving you guys a heads up, I have recently upgraded WIndows 10 to the Creators Update - where Minion wasn't working, and I rolled it back through settings and now Minion works again. Try that if you haven't already.
  • Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmn, that's strange, i updated to creators the other day, minion's working fine for me.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you running it as Administrator?

Does it have access to where your Addons are?

Does it know where your Addons are? (you should get an error message related to this)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Are you running it as Administrator?

Does it have access to where your Addons are?

Does it know where your Addons are? (you should get an error message related to this)

I think their problem may lie somewhere in here, Win10 handles permissions slightly different than previous versions, and it's a little finicky with permissions in third party software.

Try checking run as administrator, and if that doesn't work try a quick pass through each of the compatibility mode types .

Also, some people are reporting the 64 bit version is having issues and if they download and use the 32 bit version it works fine for them.
    Edited by Belidos on May 19, 2017 9:40AM
  • Auldjohn
    Auldjohn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know why minion sucks so badly? I can never get it to open, it's running according to my task manager, but the system tray icon isn't there, and i have way too many addons to update manually.

@MercTheMage,

Sometimes Minion can take a minute or more. If it doesn't appear, use Task Manager to end task, wait a minute, then launch it again with Run as Administrator.

It's also been recently updated. Visit MMOUI to be sure you have the latest version.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Auldjohn on May 21, 2017 11:30AM
    @AuldjohnThe Elder Sages' GuildMaster Sage & Co-Founderfacebook.com/groups/theeldersagesguild
    "Old gamers never die; they just respawn and game on!" • Our Slogan: Have Fun!!

Moot Envoy • Tamriel Foundry Adept • Steam ID Auldjohn
    YouTube auldjohnmastersage • Twitch AuldjohnPCGamer• Steam Group TESGs
  • jubei9
    jubei9
    Soul Shriven
    If your using afterburner, close that. Apparently RivaTuner interferes with minion. You can also try adding minion to RivaTuner and setting it ignore minion. It worked for me but ymmv.
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I need to use it I just DL it again. It overrides the old one and opens fine. Pain in the butt.
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• Vonbone
    Vonbone
    ✭✭✭
    Never had a problem with it launching or updating the add-ons I have but I'm also still running windows 7. It does have a slight bug were the download bar doesn't disappear after finishing the last download but that's it.
  • slaweqkeb17_ESO
    I can confirm that RivaTuner interferes with minion, it starts after closing RivaTuner
  • PhantomOcelot
    PhantomOcelot
    ✭✭✭
    Minion also doesnt work if you have non-english letters on the way to its folder
    @PhantomOcelot
    PC EU
    CP 1000+

• Chelo
    Chelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm that RivaTuner interferes with minion, it starts after closing RivaTuner

Been searching this for weeks, I can confirm this is how to fix the issue, just close Afterburner before opening Minion and problem solved! thx!
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This happens to me all the time too.

Open task manager and shut down the instance or instances of minion that are already running. Then minion should open properly next time you try. A system restart will fix the issue by default as well.

I do not have the other software installed that is being discussed. The problem I have is that minion doesn't close properly so it won't start back up properly. You can force a full shut down using task manager.
  • CaelanBlue
    CaelanBlue
    Soul Shriven
    I recently started using Minion and the same thing happened to me when I tried to open it using the Windows 10 shortcut created on installation. It just didn't open. Tried several times including removing from Task Manager.

In the end, I deleted the default shortcut and created a new one, linking it directly to the exe file in the installation directory, and it has worked perfectly since. Hope this helps.
  • alsonotan0rc
    alsonotan0rc
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the necro post, but there's one solution that I didn't see mentioned, which was the only thing that worked for me. So, for others with the same issue:

If Minion launches but the window won't appear, find the icon in the system tray (you may need to click the Minion icon on the Start bar to get the icon in the system tray to show up), right click, and select reset position.