The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Split Second Frame Stuttering

Eyran
Eyran
✭✭
Hello All,

So I've returned to ESO with the Morrowind Expansion but i'm experiencing some technical issues. To start of with the problem: While moving around (on foot or on horseback) there seem to be some very small micro stutters. They are not more then a split second but very noticable. It looks of feels like the game is loading something and causing a small dip in performance.

However, I never noticed this before (played the game on and off from launch) and I haven't noticed any other players mentioning this issue.

For refference: I'm using the following system:

* Intel I7 6700K @ Stock speed
* MSI GTX 970 4GB
* Corsair Vengeance 2133 MHZ 16 GB DDR
* OS, Windows 10 64b Installed on SSD (Samsung)
* Games running on separate SSD (Samsung)

Thing i've tried so far:
* Playing without add-ons
* Lowering GFX to absolute minimum
* Repairing ESO install
* .ini Tweaks (worker threads, Frame Smoothing etc.)
* Re-install ESO
* Re-Install Windows + ESO
* Disabeling G-Sync
* Adjusting Nivdia settings (pre rendered frames, max performance setting etc.)

They are noticable enought to ruin the fun and I can't seem to find where these stutters come from. Maybe they are just a part of the game now and I happen to notice them ? Seeing as I never did or aren't finding any of these issue in other games I'm convinced it has to do something with this specific game.

Any insight would be perfect !
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Others have reported this.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/343668/tiny-stutters#

Try Windowed or Borderless Windowed Mode before trying the Frame Rate Clamp to 54 (use 0.01900000 to get close)
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Eyran
    Eyran
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Others have reported this.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/343668/tiny-stutters#

Try Windowed or Borderless Windowed Mode before trying the Frame Rate Clamp to 54 (use 0.01900000 to get close)

Add both to the list of things I've tried. No succes :(
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 3 minutes? You have one of the fastest logins I have seen.... :)

Both people have Nvidia so that might be common theme. Bummer as my new Laptop has an Nvidia on it. I will have to see if I have stutters on that tonight.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Zippo
    Zippo
    Soul Shriven
    I've definitely seem some things about stuttering on the nVidia subreddit (not about ESO specifically but still). If you haven't tried the most recent drivers (released yesterday) try those. If that doesn't fix it I would try going back to driver 381.65. That one seems to have been pretty stable. I also read that the Xbox app can sometimes cause stuttering so make sure it's disabled!
  • Eyran
    Eyran
    ✭✭
    I'm almost about to give up. I can't fix it....but I also don't know if it's an "issue" everyone has and some people might not be bothered by it.

I did narrow it down to some sort of Asset streaming stutter. I notice it everytime I move in game. When the game loads new players/textures etc. there is a small (micro) stutter.

Tech. support wasn't really helpfull as they go on to blame addons, pc etc. but i'm playing this on a fresh Windows 10 install, latest drivers and only ESO installed
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is not a complete cure but does definitely alleviate it, I have discovered that /reloadui stops the stutters for anything from an hour to several hours of play.

I was about to give up yesterday when I realised this was helping..........

Until this week I had never seen anything like this, I have no idea what is causing it and fyi I'm using an AMD graphics card so it's not just Nivdia causing this :)

I posted this last night in another thread and have used it all day today making it possible to play because those stutters are a bloody nightmare!! :(
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delete shader file,might help
  • freespirit
    freespirit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have found the culprit, well for me anyway and it's Shissu's Guild Tools.

If I have it running constantly the stuttering re-occurs a short while after a /reloadui, switching it off and just using when I need it and no stuttering at all!!

Thank god it was driving me nuts.

Turns out it was also causing all the weird error pop-ups I was getting. :)
    When people say to me........
    "You're going to regret that in the morning"
    I sleep until midday cos I'm a problem solver!
  • Aionna
    Aionna
    ✭✭✭
    If you have upgraded to creators update, it doesn't work very well with latest Nvidia drivers. In Nvidia forums, many report that games stutter a lot. Try an older driver (clean install).

Also as stated above, add-ons might make things worse. For me, Destinations made stuttering way worse.