Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

One Big Question; CP 160-600

iC0UNT_6SH0Tz
Hello all
After leveling most classes to level 50 I have finally decided on two classes to specialize in I had one question regarding CP. Mag Sorc PVE/PVP and Tank Stam DK PVE goal is to do trials.

I have obviously noticed diminishing returns; however my question is which ones are good to use and which are a waste?

example: i see CP which increase armor for x amount with 5 pieces equipped. or ones that increase physical/spell resistance by x percentage. (which ones are more beneficial and maybe to what extent before diminishing returns would allow you to choose another buff)

is there an old post someone can direct me to or help me before I decide to spend all these points.

I know some people may see this as a burden to answer but on Xbox with no addons or even buff/debuff timers it is hard to get effective reads. So thanks in advance to those whom answer!
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything will change on June 6th for CP. The diminishing returns are extreme. You will never spend more than 75 points in any star. Most stars you want you'll be good around 50 points.

That said, current magicka dd cp is something like this:
    98 Ele Expert, 26 Elfborn, 1 Staff Expert, 75 Thaumaturge
  • iC0UNT_6SH0Tz
    ooo i should probably take a look at the patch notes. thanks for the reply!

may i ask why a single point in staff expert?
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ooo i should probably take a look at the patch notes. thanks for the reply!

may i ask why a single point in staff expert?

That CP allocation is now outdated. There are new ones now.
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @iC0UNT_6SH0Tz
    The optimal allocation of CP for any character will be different depending on the following criteria:
    - Total CP
    - Crit Chance
    - Amount of penetration (from passives, weapons, group member debuffs)
    - Percent of damage that is Direct vs Over Time
    - Percent of damage from weapon attacks

Asayre made a great tool to check how all of these factors interact: http://asayre.mygamesonline.org/MorrowindCPOptimisation/CPOptimisation.html#

Running some dps parses with Combat Metrics will give you your current values, and then you can adjust further from there.

Here's what I usually get on my heavy attack pet build:
    630 CP (210 pre tree)
    58% Crit Chance
    15324 spell pen (light armor, sharpened, major breach)
    57% Dot Damage
    25% Direct Damage
    8% Light attacks
    10% Heavy Lightning attacks

Optimal distribution for the above:
    Ele Expert - 49
    Spell Erosion - 31
    Elfborn - 44
    Master at Arms - 11
    Thaumaturge - 75
  • iC0UNT_6SH0Tz
    thanks for the link! unfortunately i am on xbox and so I don't have the capability to use add-ons. We sadly don't even have buff timers hahaha.
    dpencil1 wrote: »
    Optimal distribution for the above:
    Ele Expert - 49
    Spell Erosion - 31
    Elfborn - 44
    Master at Arms - 11
    Thaumaturge - 75

@dpencil1 which sorcerer attacks are increased from thaumaturge?

I'm assuming aoe like liquid lightning, blockade of elements, not sure about haunting curse (if so OP), and heavy lightning staff attacks?

I am sitting around 29k mag, 18.5k hp, 1900 sp dmg, 51% crit. (unbuffed) wearing 5p seducers and 2p julianos since im pretty new to cp 160. Will be either 4 or 5 piece julianos 2 or 3 seducer or magus in a few days pending researching. Then i gotta grind keys for the 2p illiowhatever set from the chests lol. 236 CP
  • Kraynic
    Kraynic
    ✭✭
    The 75 into thaumaturge is for the passive that gives you 10% extra damage against off balance enemies. Since there is nothing else in the ritual constellation that is useful for magicka, all 75 go into that one spot.

Edit: Basically all damage dealers go for that passive since it is totally free damage that comes from mobs set off by your wall of lightning, rebounding off a tank's block, or whatever else can give the off balance effect.
    Edited by Kraynic on May 28, 2017 9:55PM
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @iC0UNT_6SH0Tz
    Anything that does several ticks of damage from one cast will be buffed by Thaumaturge. That does include lightning and reso heavy attacks, but not curse. As Kraynic mentioned, you need 75 in Thau no matter what.
    Edited by dpencil1 on May 29, 2017 2:44AM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everything will change on June 6th for CP. The diminishing returns are extreme. You will never spend more than 75 points in any star. Most stars you want you'll be good around 50 points.
    I believe the CP change has already happened, because the skill line The Magician (reduced the cost of spells) is gone as of May 22.

• bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    morrowind is available on console in 1 week

this includes the introduction of buff timers

in all honesty you would be better off using the next week grinding out a few more CP
    most trial guilds insist on 300 CP mininum
    not advocating it, just a heads up to the OP of the reality of other players on our platform
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I believe the CP change has already happened, because the skill line The Magician (reduced the cost of spells) is gone as of May 22.

OP has stated multiple times they are on console - the changes do not take affect for another week.