The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Screen goes black after quitting the game.

Draider46_ESO
Draider46_ESO
✭✭
The problem I am having, is after playing the game. I click the Quit button. The screen just goes black. If I then click the Control-Alt-Delete buttons. I can see that ESO is not responding. The only thing I can do then is either shut down the computer through the Control-Alt-Delete or restart the computer. The only reason I think it’s a game issue, Is it did it on my old computer & now it doing it on my new 1 as well. It has also happened a lot more often since the release of Morrowind. Any ideas? Please help.
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem I am having, is after playing the game. I click the Quit button. The screen just goes black. If I then click the Control-Alt-Delete buttons. I can see that ESO is not responding. The only thing I can do then is either shut down the computer through the Control-Alt-Delete or restart the computer. The only reason I think it’s a game issue, Is it did it on my old computer & now it doing it on my new 1 as well. It has also happened a lot more often since the release of Morrowind. Any ideas? Please help.

I assume your PC is running Windows?
    Ctrl+Alt+Del should give you the option to open something called Task Manager, if it doesn't​ do it immediately. Use that to select ESO from either the first tab (running programs/windows) or the second (running processes, including background ones) and kill it - either select End Task or right click and End Task.

This should allow you to resume using your PC without restarting. You should put in a support ticket and go through technical troubleshooting if you want to try to eliminate the issue entirely.
  • Draider46_ESO
    Draider46_ESO
    ✭✭
    MopeyHat wrote: »

Ctrl+Alt+Del should give you the option to open something called Task Manager, if it doesn't​ do it immediately. Use that to select ESO from either the first tab (running programs/windows) or the second (running processes, including background ones) and kill it - either select End Task or right click and End Task.

This should allow you to resume using your PC without restarting. You should put in a support ticket and go through technical troubleshooting if you want to try to eliminate the issue entirely.

Yes I'm running windows 10. The task manager is hid behind the black screen & it won't come from there to kill the process. I've tried doing that. Thanks for your reply. I was going to send in a ticket. But for some reason I can't do it from where I'm at right now. So I thought I would ask here before sending in a ticket once I get home. Once again Thanks for your reply!
  • Courdisy
    Courdisy
    Mine does this exact thing about half the time when quiting the game. I use controller and thought it might be related to clicking quit with the mouse while the controller mode was enabled but other than that I have no clue. Pretty frustrating most of the time I have no option but holding the power button until the pc shuts off.
  • MopeyHat
    MopeyHat
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes I'm running windows 10. The task manager is hid behind the black screen & it won't come from there to kill the process. I've tried doing that. Thanks for your reply. I was going to send in a ticket. But for some reason I can't do it from where I'm at right now. So I thought I would ask here before sending in a ticket once I get home. Once again Thanks for your reply!

It's definitely a silly workaround, but you could always kill ESO from the taskbar or task manager instead of from the in-game quit.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine does it to happens once in a while not sure why.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ESO process is really bad at ending itself since the homestead patch, -'s it has gotten worse since U14. As stated here you can kill it from the task manager, but you should also be able to right-click and close.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Are you guys running windows 10 on a 1940 computer with like 750kb of memory?

It kind of sounds like a lack of memory issue.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• MisterBigglesworth
    MisterBigglesworth
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Try either Alt + Tab to force TM into view...
    or Alt + F4 to force-close the black "window"

Really we do it without like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely a silly workaround, but you could always kill ESO from the taskbar or task manager instead of from the in-game quit.

You will be surprised what you see in the task manager. Take a look after you crash a few times, you will see like 4 ESO processes running in the background.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have that issue on a rare occasion, too. I'm also on Windows 10.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the same issue sometimes and I have to forcibly shut down my PC to fix it, none of these suggestions work. I am also running Windows 10 unfortunately :/.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • TheNorthernDragon
    TheNorthernDragon
    ✭✭✭
    What do you guys have for video cards, and RAM? It sounds more like either of those things could be the culprit.
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I get the same problem sometimes, and it's not a card or memory issue, I have the gtx 980 and 16gb ram. I forget the exact way to do this as I have it written down at home and you must do it blind behind this black screen. But it's something like ctrl alt del, task manager, down arrow, alt e. This will close ESO properly. Sorry I dont remember the exact process but you can try it now while it works to see what you're doing in order to close it when you do have the black screen :)

Edit: you might have to press enter after opening task manager to select it. Will update the instructions if I remember them or once I'm home later!
    Edited by Glaiceana on May 28, 2017 9:00AM
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It happens all the time to me. You can sometimes alt-tab and then right-click the unresposive window bar icon and select close window option or do alt-F4 on that window and it closes. I had a problem a few days ago when that workaround didn't work. I had to do ctrl-alt-delete and open task manager then alt-tab until it came in front then select the process and end it.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Kraynic
    Kraynic
    ✭✭
    Since it seems to hold screen focus and interfere with being able to see the task manager, I don't select the manager after hitting ctrl+alt+del on my win 10 machine. Instead, I select "sign out". That avoids a complete reboot and still clears any eso processes. Log back in and everything is back to normal.
  • Hempyre
    Hempyre
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happens occasionally to me too.

Mem leak?

32g/I7-6700k/1060 so im thinking not low end gear.

Hit the windows key and lower right side will pop a power button icon (win10)

Backup your saved variables folder and usersettings.txt

I've had to redo settings a few times from forced quits.