Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "ESO: Morrowind Concept Artist Q&A and Wallpaper"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
7c264a4c81e443475d72f389dcc7b867.jpg

This is the official discussion thread for the blog article ESO: Morrowind Concept Artist Q&A and Wallpaper. Read our Q&A with Senior Concept Artist Lucas Slominski about how he created this amazing illustration. We've also supplied wallpapers in various sizes for you to download as well. Enjoy!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This piece really captures the mood of Vvardenfell. Great Job Lucas!
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• kimjovikenb16_ESO
    How come you never make these wallpapers in a high-res 16:9 ratio? Makes me cri evrytim :'(
  • Serensiel
    Serensiel
    ✭✭
    drooling for more, specially that Dwarven draft he made.
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great article, great image!

I'm showing my age, but does anyone still create concept or promotional artwork using pencil anymore, or it is all digital?
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great image! Thanks for putting the text in the upper right.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why no 2560x1440 resolution? Yes, I can take the 1920x1080 and stretch to fill desktop, but 1920x1080 has not been a popular PC gaming resolution for a long time. Heck, I think even my 2560x1440 is a mediocre res by modern PC standards.
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys, you cant make dunmer females look like this in game:

nB1ExxZ.jpg
    Edited by Rickter on April 26, 2017 7:48PM
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question: why the Telvanni towers look like... well, the way they look (sorry, can't say more - NDA), instead of this:
    8d78fd3bfdad0e8f9ec3b3f7b6d24e90.jpg
    (Concept art)
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is just so amazing!!! You must do more of such things.
  • Greevir
    Greevir
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »
    Guys, you cant make dunmer females look like this in game:

A blue skinned human with pointy ears? No thanks.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Zachary_Shadow
    Zachary_Shadow
    ✭✭✭
    He went to SCAD too! Nice! (Sorry for the personal information) I'm going there for Interactive Game Development, so this post really kind of showed me what I need to do after I graduate, along with the fact that it was so interesting to learn more about concept art and the path it takes to get into a big company such as ZOS. Thank you so much!
  • Koolio
    Koolio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    He went to SCAD too! Nice! (Sorry for the personal information) I'm going there for Interactive Game Development, so this post really kind of showed me what I need to do after I graduate, along with the fact that it was so interesting to learn more about concept art and the path it takes to get into a big company such as ZOS. Thank you so much!

SCAD is a great school. Just watch that downtown Savannah area at night. Can get a little rough there.
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great interview! I'm glad the art team is getting attention, their work is absolutely stunning.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • fwr.phoenixub17_ESO
    That bear is so out of place in Vvardenfell. I understand that it's one of the highlights of the Warden class, but it's out of place there as much. Just think of it: cliffracer, shalk, fetcher-flies, netch, and, SUDDENLY, a bear. Why BEAR? Why not kagouti or alit?
  • infernomorgothb14_ESO
    That bear is so out of place in Vvardenfell. I understand that it's one of the highlights of the Warden class, but it's out of place there as much. Just think of it: cliffracer, shalk, fetcher-flies, netch, and, SUDDENLY, a bear. Why BEAR? Why not kagouti or alit?

Definitely agree, and it's why I won't play the warden class. If I could run with a kagouti or more Dunmer themed companion then I would. The warden seems to have the most cartoonish abilities out of all the classes so far.
  • Dhukath
    Dhukath
    ✭✭✭
    Love the artwork, any chance we'll see this as a lithograph?
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    4th concept where warden looks like angel could be so good too.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Given that not all wardens are Dunmer, and that a character can be a warden without ever setting foot in Morrowind, I'm fine with not having every warden feature be Dunmer-centric. If anything, it's stranger for a Bosmer or Breton to be using cliffracers and netches if they've never encountered those creatures in their pre-adventuring life.

As for the article and artwork:

Nice to see some insight into the creative process and what goes into producing those snazzy paintings. 8 weeks is pretty nutty for one piece of art, but you can see the attention to detail that comes out of it.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • Elder_III
    Elder_III
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous wallpaper, but give us a decent resolution! 1920 x 1080 is a lousy res for the PC Gamer in 2017. I've had a 4K screen for 2 years now and have no use for this inferior crap (resolution, not the art - art is lovely).

Love your artistic skills, just please release an "upper tier" resolution that's not a decade outdated.
    Semi retired from the trading aspects of the game.
  • FLambda
    FLambda
    ✭✭✭
    Elder_III wrote: »
    Gorgeous wallpaper, but give us a decent resolution! 1920 x 1080 is a lousy res for the PC Gamer in 2017. I've had a 4K screen for 2 years now and have no use for this inferior crap (resolution, not the art - art is lovely).

Love your artistic skills, just please release an "upper tier" resolution that's not a decade outdated.
    Agreed!

What's particularly insulting is that the two highest resolution pictures are the ones for iPad Pro [2048x2732] and the Galaxy Note 7 [2880x2560], which both have weird aspect ratios. The largest picture with a normal aspect ratio is just [1920x1200], ~1000 pixels smaller in each direction compared to the Note wallpaper.

Why is the highest resolution picture in an aspect ratio designed for a phone that has a screen that's just 8" diagonally, when many PCs and gaming computers are upwards of 25"-30"? Heck, I bet some people would use this as a background of their Xbox, and TVs are even bigger!
    Remember: there's no such thing as the Universal Standard of Descriptional Qualifications and Metrics.

The Wisdom of M'aiq the Liar:
    • You wish to become a lich? It's very easy, my friend. Simply find the heart of a lich, combine it with the tongue of a dragon, and cook it with the flesh of a well-ridden horse. This combination is certain to make you undead.
    • M'aiq prefers to adventure alone. Others just get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk.