Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

ESO lexicon question

NinthPrince64
NinthPrince64
✭✭✭
Although I have been playing this game since it launched on consoles, I am reminded on a rather dishearteningly frequent basis just how incomplete is my knowledge.

That said, when somebody says to "bash an AOE", what does that mean? Also, although I think I understand this one already, what does the term "block cast" mean?

Thanks for your help.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AoE stands for Area of Effect skills, those that don't target specific player/npc but rather everyone in the area. Bash interrupts some attacks(they usually have the tell of flashing red lines around the mob/boss as they're charging it). I assume in the situation in question the AoE attack was interruptable and could've been bashed. On side note, you don't actually need to bash, some skills such as Crushing Shock can range interrupt as well.

You can cast (most) insta cast skills while blocking. You'll see your character drop the block visually in order to perform the skill's animation but in reality the block will still be there, as you can easily see by your stam regeneration being halted. So for example in a damage intense situation you can block spam Healing springs as a healer, healing at your full strength while only recieving half the damage(there is a catch of running out of stamina pretty quickly there though, after which you're kinda screwed if you actually really need to block/dodge/break free). Another good example is taunting as a tank, you do not need to stop blocking to taunt.
  • NinthPrince64
    NinthPrince64
    ✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »
    AoE stands for Area of Effect skills, those that don't target specific player/npc but rather everyone in the area. Bash interrupts some attacks(they usually have the tell of flashing red lines around the mob/boss as they're charging it). I assume in the situation in question the AoE attack was interruptable and could've been bashed. On side note, you don't actually need to bash, some skills such as Crushing Shock can range interrupt as well.

You can cast (most) insta cast skills while blocking. You'll see your character drop the block visually in order to perform the skill's animation but in reality the block will still be there, as you can easily see by your stam regeneration being halted. So for example in a damage intense situation you can block spam Healing springs as a healer, healing at your full strength while only recieving half the damage(there is a catch of running out of stamina pretty quickly there though, after which you're kinda screwed if you actually really need to block/dodge/break free). Another good example is taunting as a tank, you do not need to stop blocking to taunt.

Okay, so "bash the AOE" just means interrupt the caster while he or she is winding up the spell. That's not what i was expecting. I was expecting you to say that while in an already cast AOE, you can bash to stop the AOE's ticking. I just need to remember that "bash the AOE" and "interupt" are synonyms.

Thanks.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »

Okay, so "bash the AOE" just means interrupt the caster while he or she is winding up the spell. That's not what i was expecting. I was expecting you to say that while in an already cast AOE, you can bash to stop the AOE's ticking. I just need to remember that "bash the AOE" and "interupt" are synonyms.

Thanks.

Bash and interrupt are generally synonyms. Which fight was it, just to make sure?

Hm. Actually now that I think of it some monsters do have channeled aoes that are interruptable as they're still going on. Troll and lurchers came to mind. They both do keep displaying the "interrupt me" cue throughout their aoes though and are more of an exception.
    Edited by Magdalina on May 9, 2017 7:58PM