The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

My short story. Fictional hope you all enjoy it.

Shadowasrial
Shadowasrial
✭✭✭✭✭
My name is Shadow. You may not know of me but that's exactly how I like it. But in my travels the idea of immortalizing myself through history as one of the greatest nightblades in history was too overpowering. So here I am ready to tell my story. So where should I begin? Well perhaps I should start at the beginning.....

My story starts in my early years. A solitary wood elf hunter in the forests of valenwood. I would spend my days amongst the trees stalking my prey, practicing my archery as most elves do. But I always found my skills reached out further than the bow. I was very adept at throwing my daggers. Often able to sever the stalk of a chokethorn from 100 paces.

Now you might say I had a bit of a temper. Many a time I would find some trespasser roaming my woods. Hunting my game and pillaging the ruins that I inhabit. No doubt searching for long lost treasure, which lets face it. If I hadn't spent it already I wouldn't let you take anyways. If often play tricks on them. Silently slipping into thier camp unseen slitting water bags, cutting saddle straps, dropping a vial of giant bat scent, oh how they would scream when those bats came swarming into camp. Oh it used to make me laugh for hours up in the canopy as those dirty mages try to get rid of them.

Now over the years I grew up, by elf standards anyways. And word of my exploits eventually reached the capitals. They sent guards or huntsman with thier expeditions in the hopes of keeping me at bay. That's where everything changed..... the day I took my first life.

One of the hunters decided he would get rid of me once and for all. After being a thorn in thier side for months he decided to track me to my lair in the ruins. Much to his despair he found that these extensive ruins had many twists and turns and hideaways. And after 2 hours of traps and snares I finally had him in my grasp. A dagger to his throat. He called me a tree hugging knife ear ( slang for elf due to our pointed ears) he told me that no matter what they would never stop coming for me. So I dragged my knife across his throat. As his blood hit the temple floor I was blasted back against the wall.

Unknown to me these ruins had been a long lost temple of the dread father Sithis. The dark deity of the dark brotherhood. His shade appeared before me. A great wraith. Cloaked in billowing shadows, a voice as hollow and ancient as the void. His hand extends holding out a dagger. " I have watched you young elf, I have watched you hunt your prey in my halls for many years, today i have watched you hunt a man. I have watched as you stalked him...and without mercy you extinguished his life. I am proud to welcome you to my family. I bestow upon you the Fang of Sithis. My ancient dagger. Of which even the slightest cut from the dark dagger will send thier soul into my fold. It is yours now. Use it well."

I accepted the dagger and again he reached out his hand. Bony fingers adorned with gold and jewel encrusted rings. He led me to the void where he told me he would have me trained by the greatest murders in history the ancient nightblades. That was the day I died. For no living being may exist in the void. I spent years, centuries who knows how long. The void was timeless. It was dark and full of the fiercest creatures. One day my master came to me. He told me my training was complete and it was time for me to be set upon the world. I was not just a killer, I wasn't even just an assassin. He called me Nightblade. I was honored beyond all understanding. He sent my soul from the void into the cold dark realm of coldharbor. The realm of Molag bal.

It was there that I met Varen Aquliarious. Otherwise known as the prophet. Together we escaped Bals realm back into the world of the living. My new playground. It was then I was set upon the path to save this wretched world from molag bal. where I joined the companions we plotted a plan to thwart menmarcos plan to become a god.From there my adventures were long and many. After the planemeld crisis and I finally threw down molag bal from his plan to merge the realms. If you want to hear that story you will be disappointed.

It was after that history event in my life that I finally set upon the path Sithis had intended for me. I sought out dark brotherhood in the Gold Coast. I quickly rose through the ranks and earned the right to actively speak to Sithis and his bride, my mother. The order of the hour who had been plaguing the brotherhood was finally crushed beneath my feet. The blood on my dagger hadnt even dried. It was then that I set my sights even higher than the brotherhood. I wanted to leave my mark in history forever. I wanted to kill..... the emperor.

I made my way to cyrodil. A land shattered and broken as the 3 factions of the Aldemeri Dominion, the Ebonheart pact, and the Daggerfall Covenant sought the crown. I allied myself with my eleven brethren under the banner of the dominion. This new battleground gave me the freedom to hunt at will. To send the souls of hundreds and thousands to my lord. I hunted the routes between the many fortresses that dotted the landscape. Many under the control of enemy occupiers. The trails would be littered with bodies from my new abilities learned in the void. Traveling through the shadows many found thier deaths under my blade. Entire caravans of imperials would disappear never to be seen again. Eventually my hunting grounds would dry out as word of the death too grew.

I had to move on. Cyrodil is a land of many riches. Caves of loot and gold. I hunted these caves killing every looter or soldier alike. It made no difference to me. If I found you, then you died. Eventually my own fortune increased. I had wealth I couldn't imagine. All blessings from my lord. With my bounty I had the best gear crafted. All the highest quality wares for me. My legend started to grow after that. More bodies piled up. There was a new scourge in the land. It was me. I became more bold. I would sneak into enemy keeps and kill at will. Causing untold havoc to the enemy as my allies beat at thier gates. They fell and we advanced. Until one day I got my wish. The emperor was before me. This was my chance! With all the powers bestowed upon me I jumped through the shadows past his guards! I sank the fang of Sithis into his back. I felt the all too familiar power surge through me as blood touched the blade. I felt his soul rip from his body as my blade withdrew. His body disintegrated into a pile of ash at my feat. I had done it. I had killed the emperor. And as his followers stood in shock my allies broke down the gate and slaughtered them.

I was shock. All my training. All my years of killing had led to this moment. My triumph let loose as I screamed my jubilation for all to hear. I picked up his crown from the dust. My own token of my accomplishment. After that I slowed down. I fought with the other soldiers. Until I met a band of warriors worthy of my presence. They called themselves the Nightcappers. And from that day on they called me friend and ally. And I travel and hunt in cyrodil with them to this day. So if you ever find yourself alone in the wilderness. And you feel that prickly sensation on your spine. That just might be me.... driving the fang into your back. But don't worry. My master shall care for your soul.....