The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Stacking crit resist

deadlychaos1991
deadlychaos1991
✭✭✭
Okay so I know the basics, roughly about 3.5 crit mitigation on each gold impen piece. But watching an alcast video reviewing the new sets he mentioned how the new battleground set that gives 2500 crit resist stacked with transmutation and some impen would net you like 6000 crit resist, he said that you would take less damage from a crit than you would from a regular hit. Is such a thing possible? I always thought the flat cap was 3200 and it was as much as the regular hit would do. Is having any more beneficial in any way?
Edited by deadlychaos1991 on April 27, 2017 11:29PM

Best Answer

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-and-list-of-options-updated-for-homestead/p1
    Finding out what the % per resistance was was not easy but from my testing I have found that it is 68(if someone else has a different number I would love to see it.). This means that 100 points into Resistant gives you ~25% critical hit resistance. The total amount of critical hit resistance possible is 5067 or 74.5%. I now want to make something perfectly clear, THERE IS NO CRITICAL RESISTANCE HARD CAP! Ok? Ok! There isn't even enough critical resistance available to justify having it. Max resistance is 74.5% and highest possible critical damage modifier is over 100%.

From what I see, the new set will let you get to 7567, at max, which is 111% crit resist, which would completely negate all crit from the majority of players in PvP.
    Answer ✓
  • jo_hanes
    jo_hanes
    the sets plus impen plus cp passives could give a person crit resistances above the norm I was under the impression that caps were a thing of the past although I might be misinformed but honestly it would reach a point where crit is a non issue although unless the physical resist and spell resist is just as high your still gonna take damage. No way around that.
  • deadlychaos1991
    deadlychaos1991
    ✭✭✭
    Well yeah but this is kind of just a natural cap since the crit resist only applies to the actual damage that crits. If you don't have any extra damage when you crit, can you actually go below that point?
    Edited by deadlychaos1991 on April 27, 2017 11:53PM
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nah it doesn't work like that. Here are a few examples of how it works.

- It is not possible to lower the damage of a crit lower than the non crit damage, even if you have stacked enough critical resistance. At this point it is possible to have too much critical resistance.

When players crit without any bonuses to crit damage they do 50% more damage. You can mitigate all of this crit damage by having 3300 critical resistance. Any more critical resistance than this against this particular opponent would be a waste.

A player with the shadow mundus does 62% more damage when they crit. This means that 4100 critical resistance is needed to completely mitigate their critical damage.

4950 critical resistance is needed against a player with no shadow mundus and 100 CP into precise strikes.

5750 critical resistance is needed against a player with shadow mundus and 100 CP into precise strikes.

So basically it depends on how much crit damage the enemy attacking you has. If they don't have much critical damage it is possible to have too much impen for that opponent, as you can not lower the damage of a crit to less than that of a non crit.
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-and-list-of-options-updated-for-homestead/p1
    Finding out what the % per resistance was was not easy but from my testing I have found that it is 68(if someone else has a different number I would love to see it.). This means that 100 points into Resistant gives you ~25% critical hit resistance. The total amount of critical hit resistance possible is 5067 or 74.5%. I now want to make something perfectly clear, THERE IS NO CRITICAL RESISTANCE HARD CAP! Ok? Ok! There isn't even enough critical resistance available to justify having it. Max resistance is 74.5% and highest possible critical damage modifier is over 100%.

From what I see, the new set will let you get to 7567, at max, which is 111% crit resist, which would completely negate all crit from the majority of players in PvP.

Will always put an awesome for a link of my thread :wink: Also I will obviously be updating all my threads with the updated info as soon as it hits live. Got most things ready to go with an update. But yea, as someone mentioned going super hard into crit, even without a cap will only go so far as to eliminate their crit modifier but it will not mitigate any of their base damage. So builds that stack penetration and Base Damage will still hit really hard on you.
  • deadlychaos1991
    deadlychaos1991
    ✭✭✭
    So it's essentially the same, run 3300 or so, then spec into actual mitigation. This set is nice though because you can slap that and reactive on, with no points into resistant and a healer who runs trans, and you wouldn't need impen. I could do sturdy for a pvp tank or infused for resources. Or prosperous because of how op it is ;)
    Edited by deadlychaos1991 on April 29, 2017 2:05PM