The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

New hireling emails

MusekininKanchou
MusekininKanchou
✭✭✭
The new hireling emails are ok I guess but you've pretty much crushed any hope I had that you might make the hireling system something other than stupid and broken. The timing is annoying. If you want to get your hirelings twice a day you have to check them exactly every 12 hours. This is technically impossible when you account for lag in login. To make it worse they are not delivered reliably. Let's say I have a character that gets 4 hirelings every twelve hours. Even if I wait well over the twelve hours there is a good chance I may only get 2 or 3 of the emails requiring me to logout and back in again to get the remaining emails. Now multiply that x8 or x10. During peak hours I can have half the characters fail to retrieve one or more hireling emails so I have to logout and back in on the same character again to get the remaining emails losing another minute or so the stupid 12 hour timer. Does it benefit server performance if the system is so flaky you're requiring players to login and out multiple times on every character in quick succession to get the emails to trigger? It' seems like this system would be better served via a drop box like the writ boxes or maybe a post office like npc. And switch the timing to a straight up 00:00 and 12:00 GMT letting you check for a delivery with the character/box anytime in that period like the daily quests only twice a day if you put the skill points into it. Less cursing at ZOS for horrible mail service and less login logout spamming on the server. Yes I may be mentally ill that I feel the need to get every one of my hirelings twice a day even if it requires getting up in the middle of the night. I spent a lot of time getting those crafting skills leveled on every character and getting enough extra skill points on each of them to burn 12 per character on hirelings. I think I should get what I pay for so to speak.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree with you that the current system is not ideal, and it has been brought up a number of times in the past three years. Many suggestions have been offered for ways to improve the mail system, including some of your suggestions (though I don't think I saw a suggestion for a mail box or post office).

Unfortunately, ZOS has not done anything in regard to the mail system, so I fear we are just going to be stuck with it. I, like many others, have just come to terms with the fact that 3 points in the passive means that I am guaranteed to get mail every day when I log in. They really should just change the descriptor and remove the wording "twice a day" since that's only possible if you're able to log in every 12 hours (plus the time creep that occurs with every log-in).

I do, however, appreciate that we are getting new hireling mails.