Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What would be a good build for a Khajiit Stamblade that is also a vampire?

uzbachchi
uzbachchi
✭✭✭
I'm still running around in mismatched Night Mother's Embrace/Stygian/Ranger stuff with gilded Hunding's Rage weapons (DW daggers/bow). I need something to boost health regen because if I don't have at least one enchant it goes into very low/negative numbers. I've been looking at various builds online but can't find any specifically for vamp stamblades to both mitigate that horrible vampire regen and give strong DPS. I'm currently in late CP300s still doing solo PvE overland because I don't think I can pull my weight in a dungeon or trial with my setup and am afraid to get in there and make everyone mad at how awful a player I am. I do OK on my own though I can't really solo public dungeons, especially the more difficult ones.

Any ideas on what a good equipment setup would look like? Curious about what people would recommend as rotation too. I have what works for me as a solo player but I bet dollars to donuts it's completely unviable for group content. And here's the catch: I'm not setting foot in Cyrodiil for any skills so nothing like rally/vigor are going to be accessible to me. At least not until they give me a way to turn off the Alliance notifications which are distracting and a nuisance in PvE. (I'm on PS4 so suggesting addons to do it won't do me any good).

I've currently got 10 Magicka, 17 Health, 37 Stam -- because if I didn't put that much in health I just died and I needed some Magicka for vampire drain (though I can't remember this early in the morning if I am using accelerating or invigorating). I don't use it as much as I did on lower levels, it's on my bow bar. I tend to use swallow soul more as it's on DW bar.

I came out of Skyrim loving my stealth archer, tried it here, and found it to be a bit harder than I'd imagined. I've got something that half-assed works but there's a lot of room for improvement. If anyone has any ideas of how I could better gear up for normal trials/group dungeons, I'd appreciate the advice. I don't like magic users so I don't want to roll a sorc. And I don't understand healers/tanks at all so I want to stick with DPS. I'm one of those one-track mind players that prefers to have one toon for the sake of not getting confused remembering skills and how to play a bunch of different characters.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you might have.
  • uzbachchi
    uzbachchi
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh I just did a DPS test and it took almost 8 minutes and I got 6500.3.

Maybe I am just bad at this game and shouldn't do endgame stuff at all. Too much math or something for me. haha
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a lot that could help you out. CP300 is a sort of frustrating level. You're powerful enough to start hard content, but it can get rough in places. Anyway...

- as a vamp stamblade you might always struggle. You're dealing with being a squishy class assuming a squishy buff in exchange for some mediocre perks. Like you get 10% stam regen. Ok...but the slots you're going to fill with health regen to make up for being a vamp could offer way more stam regen than you get as vampire. Your mist form is weaker than dark cloak. Bat swarm only does magic damage. And if you're addicted to speed, honestly being a non-vamp in night silence hear is far more powerful than a fast vamp...it's another case where the slots used to compensate for vamp exceed the slots needed to get that same perk elsewheee. But the game should be fun, and if you like being a vamp be a vamp...plenty of good players make vamp stamblades work.

- suck it up (ha, vamp pun), you need vigor. You don't have to pvp...pick an empty campaign like Azura's Star on PS4 NA. No one is in there so you won't get notices. Or join as guest...I don't think you get notices on a guest campaign. Do the town dailies for 300 AP, repair walls with kits you buy with gold for 60 AP each...but most of all do the repeatable resource capture quests and practice taking enemy resources. This is really good practice for vet content, and you get 1500 AP for the capture, then another 1,000 if you're carrying the quest. You need 90k AP for vigor...you can get it in 8-10 sessions while never fighting human players. It's just too powerful for a vamp stamblade to pass up.

- I like Hundings Rage as a primary set. when I was a lower level vamp magblade, I ran vampires kiss. It really helped. You give up a lot of power, though. Another set might be briar hearts...I love the set on my stamblade and the heals might help overcome the vampire health regen problems.

- the Troll King monster helm set might be a way around the health issues all together. If you put heals on yourself, especially small HoTs, it'll proc all the time.

- you're at a level where maximizing gear starts to really add up. Running a 5/5/2 config will make you more powerful. Upgrading to gold as you can will make you more powerful...especially weapons, where the dps jump is huge for gold.

- alcasthq.com has really good builds. I think his current stamblade dw/bow "rampage" build would work for you with possible a few adjustments for vamp. This is a little distinct from the conventional "attack and retreat bar." His setup is about damage at range, then sustaining damage up close. You get the dps rolling at range, then when they get in close you switch to dual and stack the HoTs those abilities offer. A bar like that would really help a vamp.

As you continue leveling and improving your gear, a good test to see if you're ready for harder group stuff is running some of the 4 player dungeons yourself on normal. If you can't do Banished Cells 1 and Elden Hollow 1 yourself on normal, your build needs work. If you can do City of Ash 1 or Crypt of Hearts on normal yourself, you're ready.
  • uzbachchi
    uzbachchi
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for the lengthy reply! I was on all day with someone from one of my guilds (I usually don't get on mic or do anything other than raffles/dues/guild store). He was helping me out some with builds and was talking Hunding's Rage and Viper something or other. He's also trying to talk me out of being a vamp, mentioning Night's Siilence. I guess I don't need to wear the dungeon kit while I'm out doing my theft stuff, it's just going to take some getting used to. Baby steps.

I don't know if I can do Cyrodiil. I just don't. I was there for a week and didn't understand it and got hit by a mob of a dozen high CP players when I was trying to do a quest, it is just not what I'm about in a game at all. I paid the money to leave the campaign, I couldn't stand the notifications. Is it possible to be a guest without setting a home campaign? I didn't want to start pushing buttons and find out the hard way I am going to be getting those notifications like it or not.

It's really late and I played far too long today to be coherent enough to really take in what you're telling me or reply so I'm going to look at it again in the morning.

Thank you again for taking the time to write all that out for me.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Bosmer non-vamp stamblade. He's traditionally been quite weak at ordinary PvE stuff; getting Vigor was a considerable help.

Other than Vigor, what I've done for survivability includes:
    • Rely heavily on Bloodthirst (healing morph of Flurry) in a Bow/DW build.
    • Wear 5-piece Briarheart. (That's a seriously underrated set, very synergistic with Flurry.)
    • Use Reaper's Mark multiple times per fight.
    • Use Bombard (rooting morph of Arrow Spray) against groups that include meleers.
    • Use Siphon Spirit as my ultimate.

I duoed some of the easier group dungeons like that with a magplar. (Normal mode only.)

But I really only love the character when he's in sneak mode. Then he's wearing Night Silence and Night Terror. and slotting Concealed Weapon. I play on the PC, so a fast switch between that load-out and my standard combat one is pretty easy. So I can zip to the vicinity of a tough fight, change set-up, and attack.

I do usually win when sneak fails and I get jumped by mobs I was hoping not to fight. That's Bloodthirst, Steel Tornado, Endless Hail, Poison Arrow and Reaper's Mark. But not always. E.g., if I get careless I can die on my way out of a heist.

• uzbachchi
    uzbachchi
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply. I've been saving some Night Terror stuff for reasons I don't remember. I'll look into filling that out and getting some Night Silence and carrying the set around with me for when I need it. I have similar skills on my bars now, so that's good to know I've been on the right track with those at least.
  • Sckazy
    Sckazy
    I've been playing Vamp Stamblade on my first char since Lv 15 and played with Stage 4 until now CP 250. (2 months later)

Taking the fact that I wasn't experienced with the game yet and had a huge disadvantage with the Fire damage, I was get OS or killed right and left in Dungeons and Imperial Sewers but I learned to live with it, to dodge fire attacks, to heal using Vigor and Rally and adding to points to Elemetal defender and being a Dunmer at first (Switched to Wood elf)

The +20% Fire damage is the big issue with Vamp and not the 75% Health regen mitigation(You can live with that).

My Stamblade always remains Stage 4 and I'm taking precautions when dealing with fire casters, I focus mostly on outbursting and I'm in and out all the time with Clock, Major expedition and the less front fight I do, the less I take damage

As for my Magplar, when ever I intend to do Pve content, I just feed and it's not I'm not a Vampire anymore (Stage 1), and when I need it, I just spam Elusive Mist and I'm Stage 4 once again.

There's no way around it with Gear to add health, health regen, well maybe a bit, but it's more your Play style that will determine your survival.

You'll learn how much damage you can take before dropping low and know when to hit the red button.

Be proud of being a Vamp and incorporate in your Char as if you don't have a choice and you'll do much better with it ;)
    Edited by Sckazy on April 24, 2017 3:57PM
    ☠ For the Pact ☠
    EU
    PC/PS4
  • uzbachchi
    uzbachchi
    ✭✭✭
    I've been doing pretty ok with the vamp thing since I got the hang of it (and got past one quest boss that was destroying me because they had fire and a friend and I couldn't deal with both). I'm going to try it out with the new gear that my guildie has been helping me with for a bit but if it gets tough I may end up taking the cure. Khajiit looks awful as a vamp, considering she was a dark gray cat with black spots before. haha
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    uzbachchi wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I've been saving some Night Terror stuff for reasons I don't remember. I'll look into filling that out and getting some Night Silence and carrying the set around with me for when I need it. I have similar skills on my bars now, so that's good to know I've been on the right track with those at least.

Night Terror is a little better than Night Mother's Embrace if you do a lot of your damage in melee.

Also, you can use both if you don't need the 5 piece bonus from Night's Silence (i.e. if you're a vamp).

As for vamps looking terrible -- it is my understanding that while armor and disguises don't hide vampirism, costumes do. I don't know how a Khajiiti female would look in the Dark Seducer costume, which I'm guessing you already have access to, but it's worth a try ...
  • uzbachchi
    uzbachchi
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the point is moot because I got talked into curing vampirism today and just respeced everything to get back the points for some fighter guild stuff I wasn't using, under my guildmaster's instruction. I'll be trying it out tomorrow as I do dailies to try to get the shoulders for the Kragh mask I got. I have Hundings/Viper as my dungeon gear and Night Silence/Night Terror for my thievery/assassination gear. Hopefully things will go better for me now. It'll be a bit of a pain having to stop and change armor out depending on activity but I guess I'll get used to it. I was mainly holding onto vamp because I was lazy. haha It is too much of a detriment for me now that I've started doing pledges.

I appreciate all the answers and input. This game sure has a steep learning curve. I don't think I could have made the step to changing gear without someone actually walking me through it like people took their time out to do for me today, plus farm for purple Night Terror jewelry. A lot of stuff seems really counterintuitive too, so it wasn't something I would have tried on my own without encouragement.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm always happy to answer stamblade questions. But use @davey1107 in your reply if you want me to see it.

- my stamblade needs multiple sets of armor for different content, just like you mention. Yes...it's a pain to change all the time, lol. What I've learned is to use a "base set" (for me, Hundings) and just make all the damn pieces in it...all armor, and all the weapons I use. Then if I collect a specialty set I know I need the jewelry and any two other pieces. I use Hundings and night silence for thieving. If you want to be a super thief, you can use night silence and night mothers embrace from deshaan. Your Khajiit will be pretty dang invisible. For vet content I need stronger gear. I use Hundings and briarhearts a lot.

- I get the pvp hate, lol. It's not for everyone. So some tips to help with you concerns

A. Don't ever pay to leave a campaign. Just don't go into it for three days, or until it flips, then you can leave for free. I'm not sure why they made it so expensive.
    B. You can set a campaign as guest. You will not receive notifications for a guest campaign. You can change your guest campaign (if you ever need to) for free under the 3 day rule...just stay out, and wait until the change is free. A guest campaign is the exact same as a home campaign for what you're wanting to play.
    C. You can pve in any campaign, but it'll still be a pvp zone so people might try to murder you, lol. There are empty campaigns on any platform...for PS4 NA this is currently Azuras Star. I go in there and see one other player an hour. If you do run into an enemy, the universal gesture for LEAVE ME ALONE I'm QUESTING is to face them and proc your block a few times rapidly, then hold block. Most experienced players understand this and will leave you alone. Sometimes they'll be *** and kill you...whatever, lol.
    D. This will allow you to complete important pve in Cyrodiil, notably getting the 49ish sky shards, completing the 12 dolmens, getting lore books, etc. You can get the AP you need for vigor (and caltrops at 180k AP) by taking resources, repairing walls in friendly keeps or doing the 50 dailies in the five towns. This is the slow method.
    E. The fast method is to select a busier campaign for your guest (still no notices). Then put out a zone chat "lfg." Get into a 10-20 person group and follow them around. You don't need a mic. You don't need skills. Just help out where you can standing watch, or sniping from walls. Capturing a keep and three resources gives 10,500 AP minimum. I earn 200k AP from a light night of pvp...a group will get you skills and skill points pretty quick. Plus, even if you don't have a mic turn on group voice chat. In large groups people are always sharing tips...you'll learn a TON if you end up in a group with some knowledgeable, helpful, often high, players.
  • uzbachchi
    uzbachchi
    ✭✭✭
    @davey1107 Thanks for the advice on PvP. I tried waiting out a campaign until it ended before trying to leave but it didn't let me. Maybe I'd been in it less than three days before but I'm entirely not sure. I've been gun-shy about trying again because I don't want to get stuck. My crafting motif/furniture recipe addiction has dibs on all my money. haha But if I ever do go back I'll keep what you said in mind. The block thing I'd never heard before, so that's really good info, thanks for that in particular.

I had a hell of a time today trying to unlearn my old rotation and get used to all the new skills. I don't think I'm even going to consider considering going to Cyrodiil until I can do better than I did questing today. I was putting out more damage but fumbling buttons and getting killed a lot more than I did on my mediocre setup from before respec/vamp cure. This old dog is having a hard time learning new tricks and unlearning old ones. I don't think I've ever worked so hard at a video game in my life before ESO.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamblades are tough, no question. But I always tell people ware struggling with one that if you learn stamblade, it'll make you a ten times better player and you can walk into any other class and pick it up quick.

And new skill bars are hard to get used to. In pvp I've moved to more of a gank bow build, and do a lot of range attacks from walls. So my circle key is changed from retreating maneuvers for speed to siege shield for +2 meters range. The problem is I forget while out in the wild, and accidentally hit siege shield...thereby putting a glowing twenty foot dome over my position. Ugh.

If you need assistance with your bars, I can take a look. I'm not a fan of cookie cutter builds and believe you should use what works for you and what you find fun, but I can take a look and see if there are any glaring omissions.
  • uzbachchi
    uzbachchi
    ✭✭✭

@davey1107 Thanks for the offer to look at my bars. I'm going to tough it out for a bit and see if I can get used to it before I try to change it again. That will only confuse me more. lol