Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Are all skills viable?

mikejezz
mikejezz
✭✭✭✭
So I just started on this game again, I really like it, but it really leaves to alot of choices, only being able to use five different skills (10 when you switch weapons), and there's just so many skills in the game that you can choose between.

I understand that there are some skills that are better than others, but is it possible to make a weak character, instead of picking some synergy between skills you like? Do I need to use the popular builds everyone else are using to be competitive, or can I be it by choosing the skills I really do like?
  • LMar
    LMar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You generally want to have some form of self buff, damage over time skills, area damage and single target damage. If you focus on only buff skills you won't be able to dish out damage. But then ofc it depends on what you want to do, eg heal people. In that case buff skills and heals would be your choice. Similarly there you would prefer to have a few group buffs, heal over times and direct heals for emergencies.

Synergies between skills are generally skills which you cast and tick in the background doing either damage or heals and direct attacks that you do while your over time effects do their thing
    "If a stick of fish is a fish stick, it will stick like other fish sticks stick"
    "Taller races now sit in chairs correctly"
  • Spaghettiknight
    You can find some pretty unique ideas amd builds on YouTube.

For your question it really depends on what content you're doing, but ideally you'll have some sort of buff, damage over time, and a spammable skill.

If you're only questing and doing public dungeons you can probably just use whatever you like, but group dungeons you may need more viable skills.

It would also help if you can tell us the skills you want to use and I can try to come up with suggestions. Using certain skills will eat up resources though, like using Shadowy Disguise to guarantee a crit (though it is super fun)
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then you get experienced you will typically use the back bar weapon for long term buff and damage over time.
    then the front bar for spamable skills and thing you might need like an shield.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    So if I don't use a shield in one of my bars I will suck in pvp/pve? It is mandatory?
  • Spaghettiknight
    mikejezz wrote: »
    So if I don't use a shield in one of my bars I will suck in pvp/pve? It is mandatory?

You don't really need a damage shield for PvE (unless you're a tank, even then it's not 100% mandatory). You should have buffs, DoTs (including single target and AoE), and a spammable though. Shields help a lot in PvP because people can't crit you while your shield is up.
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    But don't you do weaker damage yourself with 1h and shield than with a 2h or Dw?

So you nuke in dw and then witch to shield when you need to charge magicka again or?
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really like the freedom in this game, as you can design your character in many different ways...

But it seems to be wasted if you are forced to use a certain type of setup anyway.

But maybe it's because I really dont understand the PvP in this game yet.

What makes sense to me is, you probably go dw for nuking, and when you are out of magicka or low on health, you go 1h and shield for getting life and magicka back? Or am I completely wrong?