Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Can anyone help me build my first character?

AL16
AL16
✭✭✭
Hi...I would like to build a character.
Basically I want a DPS character for PvE (and be able to switch to PvP in endgame)
Don't really care about the playstyle, I just want high mobility(most important) and have quite a lot of resources. (if possible, being able to deal a lot of damage would be amazing)

Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks a lot.
Joined 2015, didn't play a lot and quit. Returned recently
Stamblade main, trying out other builds atm.

Best Answers

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll write some tips based on this being your first ESO character, with your end game goals in mind. But keep in mind that most players who stick around to end game eventually roll multiple characters. The main grind for vets is champion points...but your characters all share the same account-bound pool. So if some day you decide you need a different class, the time investment to bring another character up to the same level as an existing vet isn't so bad. I can roll a new character and get them to CP600 vets with fully leveled skill lines for a specialized role in 10ish hours of play.

Anyway, to your questions - pros amd cons for a first toon.

Stamina Nightblade: this is my favorite starter character, but not the easiest. And I like that it's not the easiest, because it forced me to learn ALL the game mechanics. I always tell new players that if they start with a NB they'll take way longer on the character, but once you master a NB you can walk into any other class with a very low learning curve.

Pros: NB's cloak makes them very good at kiting - running around like a doofus trying to avoid damage and get in little hits in tough fights, lol. This can be really helpful for newbies. And the cloak allows them to avoid trash fights when you want to move through quests faster. Cons: quite squishy, and they don't start off with very good heals. You really need to pvp with them as soon as possible to get Vigor, which takes a couple of pvp sessions to earn. Pros: great dps, and very good resource management once you learn how.

Pvp potential: high. Pve potential: medium, they're not great in trials and very hard in solo trials.

Races: Khajiit for sneak, redguards have good resource management, wood elf, imperial.

Magic Templar: this one is easy mode for new players. The magic Templar has a jab ability that restores health, so you get a HUGE handicap as a low level player. The downside is that lots of people play their magplars but never really learn the mechanics. But magplars can be honed for good dps, great everyday pve play, and they're great as healers or dps in hard end game content.

Pros: awesome heals and wards. Easy to learn. Fun to quest and trash fight with. Great CC. Cons: lower dps.

Pvp potential: moderately high, pve potential: high

Races: altmer, Breton, dark elf

Magic Sorc: many, many players love magsorcs so much it's all they run. They can dps off the charts, they work well in pve amd pvp, amd they can be honed to have higher damage, better wards, more healing...whatever you Need. They tend to be range fighters, which is helpful for new players, and their main skills are pretty easy to understand and master.

Pros: ka-boom. Very good w resources. Cons: I find their skill rotation a little tedious...they're a little less flexible when it comes to mixing it up. They can very easily get overrun by enemies, so solo play can be tough/boring. I don't like running stuff alone with my sorc, to be honest. But with a friend/group he becomes 10x as fun.

Pvp potential: medium, pve potential: high

Races: altmer, breton, dark elf

Stam sorc: this one is a little different, but I'm putting it on the list for a beginner for a couple of reasons. One, they're fun. Two, they have great survivability, resource management, and AOEs. But they aren't super versatile. A stam sorc only gets 3-4 stamina based abilities from the 15 in their class skill lines. There are pros and cons to this. It offers less build options, but for a new player narrows down the potential combination of skills so that they don't spend as much time figuring these out. A stam sorc will get most of the offensive skills from the weapon skill lines...which are really good.

Pros: solid beginner build, good survivability and resource regen. Cons: there are maybe 3-4 approaches for a stam sorc build, where there are more for most other classes.

Pvp potential: high, pve potential: medium

Races: redguard, Khajiit, imperial, orc

Answer ✓
  • Fyaal
    Fyaal
    ✭✭✭
    Check out Tamriel Foundry's build guides here: tamrielfoundry.com/forum/classes/sorcerer-class/

Based on what you want with lots of mobility and resources, a stam or magicka sorc would be good, or a nightblade.
    Fyaal - EP Stam DK Grand Overlord
    Invictus
    Nexus Haxus
    Hijinx
    IR
  • AL16
    AL16
    ✭✭✭
    Fyaal wrote: »
    Check out Tamriel Foundry's build guides here: tamrielfoundry.com/forum/classes/sorcerer-class/

Based on what you want with lots of mobility and resources, a stam or magicka sorc would be good, or a nightblade.

is stamina nb good for pve? ive heard his aoe is not as strong as the others and it's not good for long term fighting
  • AL16
    AL16
    ✭✭✭