Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What has happened to gankers?

AL16
AL16
✭✭✭
Sorry if I seem like I'm ignorant af.
I'm a new player to eso and in many games I've played before, the role that I enjoyed the most was being ganker/flanker.
But in te eso community, I've seen a lot...I mean, A LOT of hate towards ganker.
Why is that so? Is it because ganker is not good in the meta? If so, then is there any plan to buff/adjust it? Or is it because the general community hates this role? If so, what is thr cause of it?

Either way...I still strongly believes that ganker, being a member of an mmorpg game, should at least be treated equally like other roles. By players, and by developers.

Back to the question, I really have no idea what happened. Can someone help me out?
Thx :)
Joined 2015, didn't play a lot and quit. Returned recently
Stamblade main, trying out other builds atm.

Best Answer

• EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AL16 wrote: »
    I play a bow gank blade. It works okish. If u find the right target. If the timing is good. Unawares. But with the heavy armor meta its hard to burst down players. Gotta find the squishy ones. And everybody hates a ganker. Its the way of the mmo world I guess lol.

Hm....will the day of "when you are skilled enough (i mean like really freakin skillful), you can take down anyone" ever come?

Anyone? No

LOL!... is this a "LEARN 2 PLAY" comment?

it's not a case of skill, it's a case that HEAVY ARMOR is ridiculously imbalanced, hence it's the current meta.

As we know ESO is like roids in baseball, play the meta or GTFO! ;)

Lol, just sayin, the day will never come where one build can literally beat "anyone"

even if you are very skillful?
    If you are more skilled than another player, you should be able to somewhat overcome your checks and counters, and be able to beat them if they lack the skill to effectively counter you.

If you're fighting a player of equal skill, and they have a build that counters yours, you should lose unless they get sloppy.
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
    Answer ✓
  • Skitttles
    Skitttles
    ✭✭✭✭
    People hate them because the gankers target out numbered players or players far from the zerging looking for some fun lag free fights.
    Skittles | DC Stem Sok and sumtimes Nertbled
  • OldGamerESO
    OldGamerESO
    ✭✭✭
    I can't tell if the OP is talking about "hate" of victims toward those who gank, or "hate" of would-be gankers toward a heavy armor meta?

• ScytheNL
    ScytheNL
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's probably frowned upon because Gankers (the way I see them) are the people who see a fight, watch to see it their side is winning, and then when the opposition is close to death they jump in to get free XP. I guess.
    Ingame:
    Ezekiel Zakriah, Redguard Nightblade

Xbox One, GT= Scythe NL
  • TheNuminous1
    TheNuminous1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play a bow gank blade. It works okish. If u find the right target. If the timing is good. Unawares. But with the heavy armor meta its hard to burst down players. Gotta find the squishy ones. And everybody hates a ganker. Its the way of the mmo world I guess lol.
  • AL16
    AL16
    ✭✭✭

Hm....will the day of "when you are skilled enough (i mean like really freakin skillful), you can take down anyone" ever come?
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of gankers around,
    I myself love playing that style,

People hate us coz we have massive damage output from stealth and when we see things are going wrong we stealth away..

However this is not so easy anymore with so many things that break stealth.

If you gank properly you will get lots of hate whispers, unlike me....

So here is my advice, don't listen to their whispers, just get salty.. lol.....
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone? No
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone? No

it's not a case of skill, it's a case that HEAVY ARMOR is ridiculously imbalanced, hence it's the current meta.

• AL16
    AL16
    ✭✭✭

Anyone? No

so...basically
    something is broken
    fix that thing by making another aspect broken?

Well then, when will the meta change?
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Anyone? No

Heavy armor isn't useful for or against ganking. You can destroy anyone with 35k health and max resistance in one hit when ganking so it's irrelevant.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    With all the respect to different playstyles and all, it's probably because most people come to PvP looking for fight, not instant death from nowhere as they're riding their horse to battle. I never hate whisper or anything, that's just childish, but ganking annoys the hell out of me and if I do get ganked and don't die I'll do my damn best to chase you down and fight you, because you aren't allowed to just attack and vanish in the shadows if I didn't die ;) Come out and fight!!
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone? No

Lol, just sayin, the day will never come where one build can literally beat "anyone"
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • AL16
    AL16
    ✭✭✭

Anyone? No

even if you are very skillful?
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone? No

Heavy armor isn't useful for or against ganking. You can destroy anyone with 35k health and max resistance in one hit when ganking so it's irrelevant.
    Well that is wildly hyperbolic, to put it lightly.

Even when you're attacking a LA Sorcerer, you'll need more than one hit to kill them. Someone who's built their character to look something like a PvE tank in terms of defenses will take at least a full combo to kill.
    Edited by EldritchPenguin on April 14, 2017 2:07PM
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ganking is still very viable in pvp. I play a stamblade...he does his share of ganking.

The current meta is a little annoying all around. The CP system has given everyone infinite resources, so everyone maximizes dps and runs spam shields, wards or heals. This hasn't directly nerfed nightblades, but it has indirectly hurt them because other classes have pulled closer to their strengths, while nightblades haven't seen as much help to their weaknesses.

There's going to be a big shakeup in update 14 that will (supposedly) bring resource management back to the game. In theory, this will reduce the effectiveness of shields, wards and heals since people will have to get by on fewer casts...and in theory give up some of their damage enchantments for regen. But the changes are complicated, so it's hard to guess exactly how they'll play out for any particular class.

As for why people hate gankers...yeah, that's not going to change any time soon. I play gank because people run in the dumbest idiot Zergs now. In PS4 na scourge last night the reds couldn't go to the bathroom without twenty other guys there to help hold their $@*#%s. As a solo player am I supposed to pull up my stamplar and "honorably" take them on face to face? Screw that. I spent an hour waiting in resource towers they were about to hit, and predictably one or two would leap ahead and I'd kill them on the flag. Four times in five I'd run away successfully, then every once in a while they'd find me and kill me and share an amazing 30 AP to offset the 4,000 I made every time.