Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Super New ... ish.

DanaDark
DanaDark
✭✭✭
Hi there,

I dabbled some during the beta and when the game launched. Didn't keep me involved due to being tollaly sucked into EVE Online and a busy work schedule. Sort of forgot about the game. So, pretty much everything is new to me and that is alright, I don't mind learning on the way.

Couple questions I have though before I take a dive and dedicate good time to the game.

1. Any lower level characters still float around? I don't mind living all by my lonesome out there, but would like to know what to expect.
2. Build wise, I don't want to screw myself over. If I level up far and then find out I gimped my skill selection, am i toast?
3. Build wise again, the play style I enjoy most is typically of the old EQ Paladin where I can tank for groups, off tank for raids, and help ease the burden off a dedicated healer when things get dicey. Is something along this line a viable leveling option, or am I totally insane and skill choice is an illusion in the game? (I do not intend to become some hard core player fwiw)
4. Call me crazy, but I really like leather armor, would that be a big no-no on the above?
5. Is the game still horrifyingly linear?

Thank you for your input! Honesty is welcome! I'd most likely be a casual player a few times a week for enjoyment. So, I ain't looking to be the #1 all time player in the future lol.
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    well... to answer one of your questions.... if u decide you want to use different morphs of your skills you can go to the re dedication shrine and change them ( costs gold though )
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Yes, tons in fact maxed out people are more rare it seems (xbox)
    2. Nope, unless you want a different class, everything is fairly easy to change
    3. Yes, that very build is possible and there are a few guides out for it too
    4. Yeah it's a pretty no go to be a tank off healer in medium (medium is more stam dps)
    5. In quests or leveling? Questing, the whole world is open to you now.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Jess1ca
    Jess1ca
    Hey there!!!!

Me and my boyfriend are newbies too! Level 36 here!

Add me if you like! Bobafettjess
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Any lower level characters still float around? Yes
    2. Build wise, I don't want to screw myself over. If I level up far and then find out I gimped my skill selection, am i toast? You can't change the character's appearance, name, race or class unless you pay real money to buy tokens from the Crown Store to do it. (And even then, you still can't change their class, and there are limits to changing the race. You can't change to a race that's in a different alliance.) Otherwise, skill points and attributes (health, stamina, magicka) can be re-allotted for an in-game gold cost.
    3.Build wise again, the play style I enjoy most is typically of the old EQ Paladin where I can tank for groups, off tank for raids, and help ease the burden off a dedicated healer when things get dicey. Is something along this line a viable leveling option, or am I totally insane and skill choice is an illusion in the game? I never played EQ, but it sounds like you want a dragonknight or templar character. Cool. Those are fun.
    4. Call me crazy, but I really like leather armor, would that be a big no-no on the above? Not an expert here, but leather armor is more for stealth and raising stamina attributes, so if your character's skills are stamina-based, then you can wear leather and do fine.
    5. Is the game still horrifyingly linear? Nope. It's not linear at all now.

Edited by SydneyGrey on April 15, 2017 6:03AM
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanaDark wrote: »
    Hi there,

I dabbled some during the beta and when the game launched. Didn't keep me involved due to being tollaly sucked into EVE Online and a busy work schedule. Sort of forgot about the game. So, pretty much everything is new to me and that is alright, I don't mind learning on the way.

Couple questions I have though before I take a dive and dedicate good time to the game.

1. Any lower level characters still float around? I don't mind living all by my lonesome out there, but would like to know what to expect.
    2. Build wise, I don't want to screw myself over. If I level up far and then find out I gimped my skill selection, am i toast?
    3. Build wise again, the play style I enjoy most is typically of the old EQ Paladin where I can tank for groups, off tank for raids, and help ease the burden off a dedicated healer when things get dicey. Is something along this line a viable leveling option, or am I totally insane and skill choice is an illusion in the game? (I do not intend to become some hard core player fwiw)
    4. Call me crazy, but I really like leather armor, would that be a big no-no on the above?
    5. Is the game still horrifyingly linear?

Thank you for your input! Honesty is welcome! I'd most likely be a casual player a few times a week for enjoyment. So, I ain't looking to be the #1 all time player in the future lol.

Hey there!

Right now, it doesn't really matter much if you are low level or not. The zones are all scaled to cp160, including the mobs and yourself. This means there are gonna be high level players doing the same quests as you do without even missing a beat in terms of mob targeting. Gear however, will drop according to your level so do take note.

Skill selection is not that punishing, you do want to level all class skill lines and the corresponding guild / weapon skill lines. Other than that, the rest is all up to you. The best part of the game is that you can always collect skill points and there are more than enough to go around.

Paladin? You might want to take a look at Templar. Good self heals, and a skill line that dedicates itself to melee magicka based skills.

Armor is now split to three main base lines, health / magicka / stamina. Leather is more for stamina, light armor for magicka. Heavy armor is not fully on health though but it does gives you good damage mitigation.

QUEST lines are still linear but questing in itself is not. There a long quetlines like your main story line, guild quests, main zone quests... But ultimately how you want to do your quests is up to you.

Hope this helps!
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Don't know if it's of any help but I loved skyrim and eso suits me down to the ground, especially since one tamriel kicked open the doors to do ANY zone in ANY order you like B)
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also, when you get to one of the big capitols such as mournhold in deshaan, eldenroot in grant wood and wayrest in storm haven make sure and have a thoughough look around as there are loads of daily quests that radiate from there, the same is true of the amazing wrothgar zone and the gorgeous little jewels of the Gold Coast and hews bane for the dark brotherhood and thieves guild respectively.

God I love this game, me and my wife spend a lot of time here, it helps that the female nords remind me of her o:)
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DanaDark wrote: »
    Hi there,

You can do this when the new warden class comes out in June.
    Edited by Thraben on April 15, 2017 11:54AM
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark
    ✭✭✭
    Well, patched the and a couple days ago and gave it a whirl again.

Answering some of my own questions so maybe other new people that might read this will benefit from my experience...

1. Wow people everywhere still! This is fantastic and I love it. I didn't know about "One Tamriel" at all but think it's great. Being able to take out quests with others not even grouped is wonderful, and even just running through dungeons out of group... just a mutual nod that we're in it together is awesome.

2. I rolled a Templar. 5 heavy, 1 medium. 1 light. This has the added benefit of me being able to choose a chest or helm I like better (not a bit fan of beefy heavy chests and helms). Sword and board, mostly healing skills.

3. Game feels too easy. But I think I read it is artificially easier while early on. Highest character is lvl 10. I don't mind too much as I enjoy the experience anyway.

Still growing and learning. Decided to buy the DLC bundle thing since it's a deal. And noticed Gold edition 50% so now my boy friend gets to play with me... installing as I speak.

NA server. Breton Templar named Brylan Grey (bonus points to anyone that knows Brylan the legendary Logi pilot in EVE Online). Have a NB wood elf and a Nird Mage (she just looks cool and that's worth it). But Templar is my thing.
  • NetViperX
    NetViperX
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just wanted to point out that if you prefer the look of leather, there are a number of costumes and disguises that you can wear over your existing armor to get the appearance of leather armor on your character.