The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Memes Barebones Tanking Guide

a_salty_pirate
a_salty_pirate
✭✭✭
NOTE:
This is a .txt file (hence the poor formatting) I made a while ago to help explain tanking to some people in my guild, they thought some people might appreciate the info.

=======================================
~~HOW TO TANK AND HOW TO BUILD A TANK~~
=======================================

DISCLAIMER:
THIS IS FROM A PURELY PvE PERSPECTIVE.
THIS IS MAINLY FROM AN ENDGAME TRIAL/DUNGEON PERSPECTIVE
THIS IS BASED ON DRAGONKNIGHT TANKS (Since most other classes aren't considered viable in most of this content, most of this information is somewhat interchangeble however)

-Intro
As a tank your role is to direct damage away from your team, to position and control the fight and buff, debuff, heal or increase your teams effectiveness in anyway.
Your job is NOT to be a healing tank, you can throw out some heals in some situations to help out but that is NOT your primary role.
Your job is NOT to DPS. You don't want to be doing any direct damage at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~BUILDING A TANK~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Intro

Tanks can be built a variety of ways, as opposed to DPS builds where you have a definitive 'Highest DPS' and BiS. Tanking tends to be a mix of running the right stuff in the right situation and building something that works for you. I'm gonna cover a lot of the basic things that will make tanking a LOT easier.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Stats~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is simply the average stats you want to be aiming for, ways of reaching these stats is covered later.

Health - 30-35k
This stat is the most commonly incorrect thing i see in most tank builds, with people running 40-50k max health. Completely unnecessary in PvE because simply if you manage to take 30K worth of damage without your healer healing you, or healing yourself, either you screwed up or your healer screwed up.

Stamina - 20k+
This stat is very important, this is your resource pool for blocking, your main taunt, heroic slash and a few other skills. You want this pool as high as you can get

Magicka - 14k+
This is another common mistake in tanks, you NEED magicka, you have several buffs and skills that use magicka additionally DK's have the ability to convert magicka into stamina (Which i will cover later)

Stam recovery - N/A
Another very common mistake. You don't recover stamina while blocking and you should be blocking ALL THE TIME, making this stat completely useless

Magicka recovery - 800+
The more of this you can get the better. While you can't regen stam while blocking you CAN regen magicka and as mentioned above you need magicka for a number of things.

Health recovery - N/A
The most useless stat in the game.
Healing is infinitely more effective in all situations, you need ludicrous amounts of health recovery for it to be considered useful, so this stat is just a joke......

Spell/Physical resistance - 33k
You NEED to be hitting this when you're buffed.
The formula for calculating mitigation is:

1% damage mit = ((Player Level + Vet/CP level) * 10)

So for a max level player:

((50 + 16) * 10) = 660 = 1% damage mitigation

And in this game mitigation from resistance is capped at 50% so,

660 * 50 = 33,000

Crit resistance - N/A
Mobs in PvE Don't crit.

Weapon/Spell crit/damage - N/A
These do affect how powerful your heals are, so if you get some extra its not a bad thing, but certainly don't focus on this. Remember you are NOT trying to do any direct DPS.

Block cost - <1500
Obviously the lower the better, but you can have as much or as little as you want, AS LONG as you can sustain your resources.
To calulate your block cost you can use Woelers tool on his site:
https://woeler.eu/include/plugins/cal_block_cost.php

And to help understand block cost check his video at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f6N6AsJGDk
(it would take far too long for me to type out)

Basically you ideally want 2-3 block cost enchants on your jewellery and then invest heavily into either sturdy (Armor trait) or shadow ward (CP tree) NOT BOTH, watch the video to understand it better

Block Mitigation - N/A
This ends up being pretty much the same on every build since most of it comes from skills/passives that EVERY tank should be running (I will cover this later)

~~~~~~~~~~ATTRIBUTE POINTS~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no specific spec for your attribute points, simply use them as a means to balance out your stats to the above recommended numbers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~RACE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-intro
I don't detail ALL of the racial passives, only the most relevant ones. Overall race isn't the biggest deal in tank builds, the difference between my ranking is fairly small, you can get by easily as any race.

1. Imperial
12% max health
10% max stam
10% on melee to restore 6% max health

This is best simply because it offers the highest raw stats.
The heal on melee bonus isn't particularly strong, but its not bad.

2. Nord
9% max health
6% max stam
6% damage reduction

Second highest stat offerings, the 6% mitigation is applied AFTER all your other mitigation so the actual mitigation it offers is excessively diluted to the point that it's actually pretty weak

3. Argonian
9% max health
3% max mag
12% all resources restored on potion drink
5% healing done/recieved

Decent stat offering, the potion bonus is great for resource management and the healing buff is pretty handy too.

4. Orc
6% max stam
6% max health
5% healing recieved

average stat offerings and the 5% healing received is nice.

5. Redguard
10% max stam
Melee attacks restore 3% max stam every 5 seconds

Far smaller stat offering, but the melee stam restore isn't bad for resource management

~~~~~~~~~~~Champion points~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Intro
I am covering this as if you were a 561, as this is designed for endgame.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~BLUE TREE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This whole tree is designed around damage. You don't want to do damage. Put all the points into increasing your heals. This is pretty much the only spec for this tree, I'm not going to cover all the other nodes in this tree since there is only one useful choice here

The apprentice:
Blessed - 100

The Ritual:
Precise Strikes - 87

Relevant passive bonuses

-The Ritual
Weapon crit passive is nice for heals

-The Apprentice
Foresight is a nice little bonus too

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~RED TREE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mitigation tree, very important. I'm going to go into detail here. A quick note about flat value trees (Spell shield and armor focus tree) The flat value of resistance you get from these trees will ALWAYS offer less damage mitigation than you would get out of hardy/elemental defender. The only time you should put points into these trees is if you have 100 into hardy/elemental defender already and you don't already have capped resistances.

-The steed:
Spell shield - See above

Ironclad - Not very relevant in PvE break free is a far simpler solution, maybe <5 if you feel you need it

Medium armor focus - N/A You're not in 5 Medium

Resistant - N/A no crit in PvE

-The Lady
Light armor focus - N/A You're not in 5 Light

Thick skinned - <10 For the most part there isn't too many DoT's in PvE that will be a problem, so this tree isn't that important for the most part, but in some situations a few in here can be helpful.

Hardy - 70+ This is where most your points go.

Elemental defender - 70+ This is where the rest of your points go

-The Lord
Bastion - DK's do run 2 shields so this node will help somewhat, but raw mitigation is generally more effective

Quick recovery - 1+ this does help, but don't put too much into this tree

Heavy armor focus - See intro

Expert defender - 1+ As a tank you will get hit with light/heavy attacks occasionally so this tree can help somewhat

Relevant passive bonuses

-The Lady
Shield expert - 75% SHIELD RESISTANCE, EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.
Unchained - Nice little stam bonus

-The Lord
Field physician - 15% mit when rezzing, Very useful for dungeons/off tanking, but typically main tank's don't rez in trials so its not always that important

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GREEN TREE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This tree is all about resource management. The numbers in this tree will vary heavily on your playstyle, I am simply going to cover the relevant nodes and you can change them up until they suit you.

-The tower
Magician - Quite useful for spamming Igneous shield, and helps with chaining/talons.

Warlord - Relatively useful, but most of our stamina abilities aren't particularly high cost, and most only require a cast every ~10 seconds.

Sprinter - N/A Pure QoL

Bashing focus - N/A, just a stupid node really, bashing is cheap anyway

-The Lover
Mooncalf - N/A NO STAM RECOVERY WHEN BLOCKING REMEMBER

Arcanist - Good spot to invest your points, read the magicka recovery stat above

Tenacity - A misleading tree, you should NOT have to be heavy attacking to maintain your resources as a tank in most situations. I will cover this more later.

Healthy - N/A still just as worthless as when i mentioned health recovery before

The Shadow
Befoul - N/A Doesn't help in PvE

Tumbling - Realistically as a tank you won't be dodge rolling or breaking free THAT much, but its not the worst tree to throw a few in

Shade - N/A Tanks don't sneak.

Shadow ward - I covered this in the stats section

Relevant Passive Bonuses

-The lover
Synergizer - Gain ult when using a synergy? Yes please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~MUNDUS STONE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Atronach - Magicka Recovery

Ideally you want to have block cost reduction on all or most of your jewellery and few of the tanking sets have magicka recovery in them, so this mundus is the definitely the easiest way to get some extra magicka recovery.

You could also consider the Thief for more crit heals or any of the max resource stones to help increase your stats.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SKILLS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Intro
I've broken this up into passives and bar skills. I will cover rotation further down in the how to play a tank section.

Passive skills

I'm going to keep this short and I'm not going to specifically call out each passive, you can read them yourself.
But in short you want ALL of the following trees passive abilities:

HEAVY ARMOR
ONE HAND AND SHIELD
ARDENT FLAME
EARTHEN HEART
DRACONIC POWER
UNDAUNTED
RACIAL

You also want:
Banish the wicked from the fighters guild tree
Medicinal use from the Alchemy tree

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~FRONT BAR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The front bar on almost all tanks is the same. I highly recommend you do the same as it is setup this way for a reason. The goal is to NOT have to switch bars unless absolutely necessary.

-Spiked armor (Hardened armor morph)

Your source of the major resistance buffs
Gives you a little shield on cast.
Increases healing received by 12% while active (Burning heart passive)

-Low slash (Heroic slash morph)

Minor maim debuff which reduces their damage by 15%
Also grants minor heroism for ult generation

-Puncture

The morph for this skill is a matter of debate, despite what anyone else tells you this is the correct answer:
In a coordinated raid you want to run ransack (if you can make use of the extra resistance), in any other situation you want to run pierce armor.

The pierce armor debuff is far more effective than ransack buff, HOWEVER elemental drain provides the same debuff. So in a situation where ele drain NEEDS to be up 100% of the time for magicka users (like in a coordinated trial group) the pierce armor debuff does nothing. If you are in a situation where ele drain WON'T be up 100% of the time you ABSOLUTELY want to run pierce armor.

Your bread and butter melee taunt, all you need to know.

Defensive posture (Absorb magic morph)

This is here solely for the slotted bonus (8% block mit, 8% reduced block cost)
The actual castable part of this ability is lackluster in PvE as most projectiles don't seem to work with it.

FLEX SPOT
-This slot is used for whatever utillity skill the group might require in a given scenario.
If there isn't a specfic utility skill needed, this is the skill to run:

Obsidian shield (Igneus shield morph)

Very good skill, offers a hefty damage shield to you and your group, offers major mending upping your heals significantly but most importantly, thanks to the helping hands passive you get 5% of your max stamina back every time you cast this. This is how you convert your magicka into stamina.

ULT

Warhorn (Agressive warhorn morph)

You're biggest DPS aid for the group.
10% to all stats for 30s for the whole group
30% crit damage for ~10s for the whole group

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~BACK BAR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This bar will change heavily based on the content you are doing and youe playstyle/preference, so I am just going to cover all the skills that would be useful to run on this bar in various scenarios

-Dark Talons (Choking talons morph)

One of your best AOE skills.
Roots enemies and reduces their damage by 15%
a MUST have for add fights

-Fiery grip (Unrelenting grip morph)

Another great AOE skill, synergizes extremely well with choking talons.
Pull the adds together with this, then lock them down with talons to burn add pulls super quick

-Inner fire

The morph you pick for this is up to you, it basically just depends on which resource pool you would like it to pull from.

Your ranged taunt. Pretty straightforward, in some fights you want to put this on your front bar in the flex spot.

-Vigor (Echoing vigor morph)

Surprisingly the echoing vigor morph is quite useful, as Ill explain later you can actually get vigor to do some pretty solid healing as a tank and with this morph you can easily heal a good chunk of your raid group.

Your self/group heal, nothing to crazy. You can run dragon blood from the draconian power tree if you don't have vigor, but vigor is infinitely more effective.

-Evasion (Elude morph)

20% dodge chance, a nice bit of extra mitigation, but realistically if you're character is built correctly this skill isn't really necessary

-Necrotic orb

Either morph will work, It's just about providing magicka, generally healing orbs are more effective at restoring magicka but this will have to be coordinated with your healers
(Healing orb's magicka over time scales with how many targets it heals, whereas necrotic scales off how many targets are hit but it also offers instant magicka for the synergizer)

Easy way to help support your team some more, just provides them with some free magicka

-Circle of protection (Turn Undead morph)

You want the turn undead morph because it increases the duration, and no one really needs cheap roll dodges in the situations where you would actually use this skill

This skill is extremely high cost and extremely short duration so you shouldn't be using it consistently. But in burn phases and a few other situations where you don't need to be doing as much tanking, this can be a good way to increase your groups survivability

-Guard (Stalwhart guard morph)

For the most part this is only used when off tanking and trying to help the main tank, but occasionally in some content it can be handy for helping increase a mag DPS with the 12% crit, or trying to help keep someone alive

-Siege shield (Propelling shield morph)

One of the least known, but incredibly useful skills.
The propelling shield morph increases the range of skills over 20M when inside it.
This includes a number of skills including your chains, it can come in handy in a few situations.

-Molten weapons (igneous weapons morph)

This skill can mean your group doesn't need to run pots on some builds.
Not THAT important, but it can be a nice QoL thing for your group

ULT

-Magma armor (Magma shell morph)

Basically god mode.
When this is active you pretty much can't die.
Plus it gives you and your team a great damage shield

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~GEAR~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Armor weight

The best choice for armor weight is 7 heavy. If you're main tanking this is the best method of achieving capped resistance. You can try 5-1-1 for the resource bonus but realistically, achieving a high resource pool is far easier through skills/enchants etc. than it is to achieve capped resistance.

-Weapons

Obviously you want sword and shield on your front bar, backbar you typically want to do sword and shield as well. There are some minor benefits to running DW, or 2H on your backbar, but dual 1H&S offers the most benefit.

-Traits

-Large pieces (Chest, Head, Pants)
These pieces offer the full size for the enchant so you ideally want infused on these pieces to maximize the benefit you will get from the tristat enchants. You can run reinforced on the chest if you need extra resistance however (Offers ~500 resistance at gold). You could also run sturdy if you so choose, read up on the block cost stat in the above stat section to determine if you need to though (Typically infused offers a larger benefit)

-Small pieces (Feet, Hands, Belt, Shoulders)
As i mentioned in the block cost section, you could go all sturdy on these 4 pieces to cover your cost reduction and then run less into shadow ward. Or you could run divines on these pieces to give you some more magicka recovery (with atronach mundus). Reinforced would also be an option if you need more resistance, but these pieces don't have high resistance values to begin with so the resistance gain is average

-Sword
Defending, You really need this for the resistance.
If you have managed to cap your resistance in some other way you could also run decisive for higher ult gain, or you could run infused to increase the strength of your crusher enchant.

-Shield
Ideally you want nirnhoned, but as many dropped sets don't come in nirnhoned. Reinforced is the most common (the difference between the two is pretty minimal). It is important to run one of these because of the CP passive shield expert (75% increase in shield resistance) which means this trait increases the resistance stat considerably.

-Jewellery
Traits on jewellery aren't particularly important as tanks need all 3 of the resources, you just have to make sure to even out your other stats (Attributes, enchants etc.) to make sure you're in your comfortable range of stat pools.

-Enchants

-Large pieces (Chest, Head, Pants, Shield)
Tristat enchants, these enchants offer the largest amount of stats between the three trees, so running them on the large pieces yields the highest resource pools. Your shield is also counted as a large piece and should have a tristat enchant too.

-Small pieces (Feet, Hands, Belt, Shoulders)
Any of the max resources, use these pieces to balance your stats between the three pools (I typically run all max stam then use attribute points to balance, but its up to you)

-Sword
Crusher enchant, This is very important as a tank this is another simple way of debuffing your target and increasing group DPS

-Jewellery
Block cost reduction OR magicka recovery, the split between the two is up to you (again, check the links in the block cost section for more info) I typically run 2 reduced block cost and 1 magicka recovery.

-Does gear need to be gold?

Your shield should be, as mentioned in the above section there is a lot of multiplicative additions to your shields resistance so golding it does yield a large amount of resistance. I also recommend golding your chest piece at a minimum, since it is the largest piece. Other than that the rest of your armor can be purple and still quite effective.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~SETS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Intro
There are a lot of different sets and many of them are better in certain situations than others. I am going to go through them in the order from most commonly used down to least commonly used. I will cover 5 piece sets first, then monster sets at the end.
All tanks SHOULD be running two 5 pieces and a 2 piece monster set.

-Ebon
Heavy armor + Jewellery + Weapons
Drops in Crypt of Hearts

Offers 2k health for teammates

The penultimate tanking set. It's basically a requirement for at least one tank to be running in this in most trials since it offers so much survivability.

-Alkosh
Medium armor + Jewellery + Weapons
drops in Maw of Lorkhaj

~3k physical/spell resistance debuff on synergy use

One of the strongest and most coveted sets for tanks, as tanks are always next to the boss and already get an advantage from activating synergies, this set is perfect for tanks. The downside is it is hard to get since its medium armor so you NEED to get it in 3 piece jewellery + sword and board. Additionally the set is technically designed for DPS so the other bonuses offer very little bonus to tanking. This set is a requirement of raid tanks currently.

-Dragon
Drops in Eastmarch

15% ult cost reduction

A great set for group support, this set makes warhorns much quicker to acquire and also offers a magicka recovery bonus which is nice.

-Footmans fortune
Drops in Dragonstar Arena
8% block mitigation

An OG set from back in the day and of the best 'tanky' sets. 8% block mitigation in addition to the spell and physical resistance bonuses offers a lot of damage mitigation.

-Hist bark
Heavy armor + Weapons
Craftable

20% dodge chance while blocking

Very simple set, typically outshined by running elude on the backbar, but can still be useful in a few situations (Axes in AA for example)

-Tavas Fortune
Heavy armor + Weapons
Craftable
Dodging an attack grants 9 ult over 3 seconds

One of the best sets for ult generation and it also offers a magicka recovery bonus. The downside is it requires you to have elude up at 100% uptime since you need to be dodging.

-Armor master
Heavy armor + weapons
Craftable
Having an armor ability slotted grants 5% max health and using an armor ability grants ~5K resistance for 10 seconds

This set is not that great, like footmans it is solely a 'tanky' set, but it requires you to be running an armor ability every 10 seconds and to have it slotted, which means you have to have elude slotted and cast it every 10 seconds. This is a major drain on resources since elude is quite expensive. Additionally, while this set offers a lot of resistance, there are other ways of getting that resistance while running other more efficient sets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~MONSTER SETS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Lord Warden
Drops in Imperial City prison
50% chance when taking damage to summon an AOE orb that grants ~3800 physical/spell resistance for anyone inside (10 second cooldown and duration)

In most situations this is the best monster set to run. This set has almost 100% uptime allowing you to effectively add 3800 resistance to your build. Additionally this AOE easily encompasses the entire melee camp in most situations increasing their survivability. ADDITIONALLY in execute phases where the entire group stacks this is another great mitigation bonus.

-Bloodspawn
Drops in Spindleclutch II
6% chance when taking damage to get 15 ult, and ~6500 physical/spell resist (6 second duration and cooldown)

An overrated set (inb4 mountains of hate comments). So many people claim this is the be-all ultimate tanking set. This set has very low uptime, meaning the resistance is completely useless since we can't rely on it to be up. The one piece bonus of stam recovery is also useless for a tank. The only advantage of this set is the ult generation, which it is quite good at and can be quite useful (scroll down to the how to tank section for more info on ult generation)

-Mighty Chudan
Drops in Ruins of Mazzatun
Major resolve/ward at all times, max health, and physical/spell resistance.

This set is often considered underwhelming but it is actually quite effective. In comparison Lord warden outclasses this set in most situations. But this set offers a LOT of stats as well as effectively freeing up a slot on your bar since you don't need to run hardended armor to get the buff. If you're in a situation where you don't need lord warden or bloodpspawn as much (The axes in AA for example) This set can free up a slot for another skill as well as saving you from casting another buff in your rotation.

-Engine Guardian
Drops in Darkshade Caverns II
10% chance on ability use to summon a guardian that restores ~1200 of a random resources every 0.5 seconds for 6.5 seconds

Tanking training wheels. This set is mostly just for people that aren't used to managing their resources on a tank, once you have gotten used to that this set becomes obselete.

-Pirate skeleton
Drops in Blackheart Haven
6% chance when taking damage to become a skeleton gaining major protection (30% mitigation) and minor defile (15% less healing) for 12 seconds

A very 'Tanky' Monster set, but realistically this set doesn't have enough uptime nor is it that required in most situations

-Sentinel of Rkugmaz
Drops in Darkshade caverns I
10% when healing a target to summon a AOE spider that provides ~500 stamina and ~1000 health every second for 8 seconds (8 second cooldown)

At first glance this set is clearly designed for a healer, but if your off tanking and throwing out echoing vigor this is a very simple way of not only help with more healing but also providing stamina management for the group.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~HOW TO TANK~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-A few notes/tips/preconceptions

-Ult generation
Ult generation is important for tanks, but there a lot of people that are still stuck in the old meta of stacking your ult regen as high as possible. This is no longer advised in most situations. In a proper trial group as a tank you should be part of a warhorn rotation (2 healers, 2 tanks, warhorn roughly every 15-20 seconds) In a rotation you DON'T need anything other than light attacks and heroic slash to generate ult fast enough to meet your spot in the rotation. Outside of a proper rotation however Ult generation can be very effective for group DPS as well as your own survivability/sustainability.

-Resource management
Your key resource managment is synergies, blessed shards from the healer, obsidian shield and using your Ult.
Remember the helping hands passive means you get 5% of your max stam every time you cast obsidian shield.
The mountains blessing passive means you basically get all your pools refilled whenever you activate an ult
The undaunted command passive means you get 4% of all your resource pools whenever you activate a synergy
Obviously shards gives you a huge amount of stamina and/or magicka.

You DON'T want to be heavy attacking for stamina. Heavy attack is a long animation and you can't be blocking while doing it. If you're facing a boss where you have time to get through a heavy attack before they attack, you can try it but it is not advised.

-Positioning
Positioning is very important for tanking. As a tank YOU are in control of the fight, so you need to make sure you know what your doing. Positioning is very situational and based on mechanics. When in a boss fight a general rule of thumb you typically want to face the boss AWAY from the group to avoid directional attacks or cleaves. Be aware that this is not always accurate for all boss fights (Stone atro in AA doesn't cleave, so you want to be with the rest of the group to make things easier for healers. The troll in Sanctum Ophidia does a cleave behind him so you actually want to point him at a 90 degree angle to the group for example) So be sure to read up on mechanics before you tank anything too intense. The final and most important positioning aspect to a boss fight, is KEEP. HIM. STILL. The only time the boss should move is if mechanics require it. Because a HUGE portion of DPS's abilities are ground target and moving them out of it slows DPS considerably. Another very important thing to note in this is, if you have to move to avoid a cleave strafe side to side, or move forward to avoid it, do NOT run backwards, because that will force the boss to move once he finishes cleaving. Additionally if an AOE forces you to move, where possible coordinate with the group to rotate the boss, or move him as little as possible. In AOE fights typically your job is to group the adds together as much as possible by either using chains, line of sight, or taunts. Melee adds that can be taunted are easy to group up, ranged adds can either be chained, or if they cannot you can take their aggro and break line of sight, which forces them to reposition.

-Responsibilities

+Your responsibility

+Keep the bosses aggro
+Keep the boss debuffed
+Blow warhorns as much as possible (or whenever needed)
+Group up adds if mechanics allow
+Keep adds off the healer
+Keep the boss still whenever mechanics allow
+Know and work around the mechanics of the fight

-Not your responsibility

-Call out every single mechanic as it occurs
-Individually taunt every single add
-Constantly heal the group
-Constantly shield the group
-Provide direct DPS contribution
-Run an atypical skill that someone in your group requests
-Constantly reposition the boss to the DPS's liking

-Rotation

EVERYTHING SHOULD BE BLOCK CASTED.
Look up animation cancelling tutorials if you don't know how to do this.

Your basic rotation in a standard boss fight is:

Hardended Armor->Light attack + Puncture->Light attack + Heroic Slash
Wait 10 seconds
Light attack + Puncture->Light attack + Heroic Slash
Repeat

Remember to use Obsidian shield whenever you see a break in the bosses attacks and you have magicka to spare to ensure you maintain your stamina pool.

Blow warhorn whenever the group needs it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~CONCLUSION~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's pretty much it for the most part, I'm sure I missed a few things but I'm pretty sure I covered most of what you need to know. Good luck out there.
Definitely not a spy.

PC NA - Formerly Xbox NA
Toons:
  • Mchappy-Heal ~ PvE Magplar DPS/Heals (AD)
  • Bug-Breath ~ PvE Dragonknight Tank (EP)
  • Guilty-Of-Crime ~ PvE Stamblade DPS (AD)
  • Lil-Miss-Warmsnatch ~ PvE/PvP Magblade DPS (AD)
  • Make-Auridon-Great-Again ~ PvP Magsorc DPS (AD)
  • Geralt's Best Friend ~ PvP Stamwarden DPS (AD)
  • Baby Wings ~ PvP Stam DK DPS (AD)
  • Argonian-Leather-Salesman ~ PvP Mag DK DPS (AD)
  • Erects-Spine-For-Gold ~PvP MagWarden Healer (AD)
  • Shogun of the Salt ~ PvP MagNecro Healer/DPS (AD)
  • Borc the Stamplorc ~ PvP Stamplar DPS (AD)
  • Bawque the Stamsorc ~ PvP Stamsorc DPS (AD)
  • Bohk of Some Renown ~ PvP StamNecro DPS/Support (AD)
  • Boark the Half-Breton Orc ~ PvP Magplar Healer (AD)
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes. This is a great well thaught out guide to DK tanking. I just finished up leveling a Redguard DK and main tanked all craglorn trials, Vet CoA, WGT and ICP. I have been trying to main tank a Stam NightBlade for the last year and the DK is soooo much easier....and better.

I've been using ArmorMaster/ LunarBastion/ BS or Lord Warden. Now on the hunt for Alkosh. I have Ebon, Dragon, Yokeda, Footman, a few others; but this setup has been working well enough while I get the hang of main tanking.

My CoA run had low DPS and I held up to 9 Atros before the final Boss. Could never do that with NightBlade tank.

I've been contemplating going Vampire for the magic regeneration....any thoughts to this? I know the fire thing kind of sucks, but maybe it won't be as bad on a tank?
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick thing. 33k Resistance.... not a must have, never have been. Its the one of the most overrated stats as a tank. I have defeated HM Warrior and Veteran MoL with just 23k Resist
  • a_salty_pirate
    a_salty_pirate
    ✭✭✭
    @kylewwefan For vampires, they can be quite useful on tanks for the magicka recovery like you said. The damage mitigation when <30% health is nice too, but the problem is if you're that low on health as a tank you're already in trouble. I've never tried vampirisim on a tank, but as far as the 25% damage from fire goes (or 15% since, you only have to be at stage 2 for the recovery passive) that should be mitigated quite heavily by all your armor and block mitigation so the actual increase in damage to you shouldn't be as severe as you'd think, but you'd have to test it for yourself. I know a lot of tanks that swear by vampirism, and the worst case scenario is you might have to put a few extra into elemental defender
    Definitely not a spy.

PC NA - Formerly Xbox NA
    Toons:
  • a_salty_pirate
    a_salty_pirate
    ✭✭✭
    @paulsimonps It may not be necessary to have capped resistances, but if you're 10k short of the resistance cap thats ~15% more damage you're taking that you have to deal with in one way or another, while you're absolutely right, there are ways around that it's generally the best course, at least in my opinion, to mitigate as much damage as possible
    Definitely not a spy.

PC NA - Formerly Xbox NA
    Toons:
  • K4RMA
    K4RMA
    ✭✭✭✭
    or you could do what i do and tank with a magicka dk, pretty effective in dungeons since u can pretty much just taunt and then start DPSing

38k max mag
    18k stam
    24k health

its all ya need in dungeons really, in trials its crap ofc
    nerf mdk
  • Zedrian
    Zedrian
    ✭✭✭
    Propelling Shield no longer extends the range in PVE. It doesn't explicitly say so in the skill description, but while looking at your character sheet and standing within the shield the buff says that it only works while in cyrodil. I tested at sky reach catacombs with a suspicion there may be a mistake, but no the chains' range are not increased. A pity, we could use it for graping adds on the Twins :-(.

Completely useless in PVE
  • doggie
    doggie
    ✭✭✭
    Elude / Major Evasion is only 15% now after the latest update, that affects things like Tava for example.

Arcanist might not be that intresting to a Dungeon tank, but 30 points will get you the synergizer that generates Ultimate. Trials tanks may use Arcanist more because they dont fire off warhorns so often, dunno.
  • Bers_Ser
    Bers_Ser
    ✭✭
    Thank you very much friend for this guide, at the time I understand more as it goes of being tank in TESO.

Will not you have other guides as good as these?
    When we fight we have pity for our enemies! Since they are not our only enemies are brothers with different points of view. If you have to fight someone that someone must be the Aldmeri Dominion!