Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Stackable Abilities

ViciousBunnii
ViciousBunnii
✭✭✭
Are all the abilities stackable? Like if 3 people hit one person with a shield or something, will that one person get all 3 stacked? Or if someone comes and gives me like %10 damage increase buff, and someone else comes along and gives me same buff, will it be stacked? Another example, if 4 DKs were in a group, and all 4 DKs activated igneous shield, would all 4 players receive a shield 4x the size of a normal shield? Or does it depend on the ability? If so, is there a list of the abilities that actually stack? Thanks in advance!
PC/NA

Forever salty about the Shadow Rider Senche
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If the skill/buff has a name like "minor force" you can't stack it, it will just refresh the previous. Two different shields (Annulment & Ward) will stack, but casting Annulment twice will overwrite the previous shield with the new one.

Other buffs/procs that only say "gives 10% more damage on the next hit", can stack with the above "minor force" % increase.

So, it depends. I'm certainly not a math guy; don't ask me to show my work.

"This one does not do counting, only wordiness"
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can get complicated and there are exceptions, but the general rule is that only one of any given effect can be in force at any given time. If player 1 casts a shield on player 2 and the 3 tries to do the same, the shield is refreshed, not stacked.

Buffs all have effect names, and don't stack multiple buffs with the same name. So you absolutely cannot have multiple igneous weapons in effect. (Omg, 24 person DK Zerg in Cyrodiil...ugh. Well, if they're Pact they'd still get wiped by two NBs).

It's the attacks that get complicated. They follow the same general rules...you can't stack debuffs, you can't stack negative effects. But there are a lot of weird rules with DOTs and damage and damage ticks that aren't DOTs...it gets into a case by case issue.

So your question hits on a core principle of the game: it isn't always about applying as many negative effects as possible so much as applying many different negative effects. It's why PUGs go south so much more than organized teams. An experienced group can double dps simply by knowing one another's abilities and not wasting resources casting the same things as one another.