The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.4 on the PTS on Monday at 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC).

Ships for Player Housing

Jed8762
Jed8762
Soul Shriven
Just reminiscing to the original "Daggerfall" - Would it be possible and/or desirable to make those huge ships into instanced player housing? And be able to use your ship not only as a home, but also be able to move from large harbors to large harbors that the player has found - similar to the wayshrines?
  • Hypertionb14_ESO
    Hypertionb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they can yes,

simply..

A: as you said allow your ship house to be accessed by wayshrine.
    B: if not by wayshrine can just use a Rowboat transport to the house.

The boathouse itself can simply be a combined outside/inside mini-zone that depicts the boat as at sea. this would be very easy to implement.

the problem is it would be impossible to have your "boat home" dock at any port in the normal zones... there are enough players that there would be no room and it would be alot of work for Zenimax to program the massive moveing platform when the core physics can barely handle players running over a rock.. (remember the catapulting rocks?) so while its possible in gaming overall, its not going to happen in this game..

on a side note, i would prefer a nice warm and cozy house like the ones in anvil from oblivion. i liked the haunted house in that games and the housing in that town in general, even tho the other more expensive houses had better interiors the look of that house from the outside was perfect.
    Edited by Hypertionb14_ESO on July 10, 2014 6:51PM
    I play every class in every situation. I love them all.
    Options
  • Jed8762
    Jed8762
    Soul Shriven
    Hmm, I wonder if you are thinking of something a lot more elaborate than I was thinking. Every one shares one boat, just as using on "home" and each port that can be visited have the ability to jump off run down the dock or recall to a shrine... essentially like a house only shaped like a boat. No special physics, but then I don't know much about programming. I'm going by a video in youtube that previewed the house. Any way, you are right, a cozy little home would be enough for me. I'm really just thinking of trying to get my sister-in law to join the game. She's top level in Everquest 2 with all the patches. I know she would miss the crafting part of that game.
    Options
  • Anjelicus
    Anjelicus
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking open world home "plots" if you will, where we can quest/gather resources to build say one of 4 "pre-fabricated" homes kind of like how Hearthstone had it in skyrim... but more spread out. Or even just have those homes pre-built with nothing in them, and charge rent. The styles could match the current zone with minor variations in their architecture and be lore friendly.

Also it should have a Rent/upkeep feature (yes another gold sink) where if you dont pay your monthly dues in game you lose access to all your gear/equipment/furniture in said home, however you can re-buy it before someone else does or vise/versa. Maybe even require special quest reward items to be obtained in order to purchase these homes/plots.

Of course the real reason anyone wants a home is for 2 reasons... first we want to show off our stuff; add wall mounts/armor dummies stuff like that where we can hang our trophies and achievements with pride! Second would be to be able to recall to our house/community that we own at strategically/beautifully chosen location.

I would love to be able to allow other people to rummage through my house(IE open house, no load screen) but I imagine after awhile it would wear on the servers because of sooo much stuff having to be loaded in at once, ontop of all the other games resources.

Just a couple thoughts I had.
    Vokundein
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    Guild Twitch Live Stream
    Anjelicus - Head of PVE
    VR14 Templar // VR14 Nightblade // VR14 Dragonknight // VR10 Sorcerer
    PTS - Veteran Dragonstar Arena Developer Challenge Conqueror
    Options
  • daniel.fairhaven
    daniel.fairhaven
    Soul Shriven
    Daggerfall was great like that, I always got the smaller ship too. I think 2-4 ships at anchor out of swim reach (slaughter fish), and a row boat which can take you to your "home". A choice of ships styled for your alliance, a merchant/"pirate" style and a warship. Upgrades for appearance? and interior things, like you can get for houses.
    One day each of you will come face to face with the horror of your own existence.
    One day you will cry out for help.

One day each of you will find yourselves alone.
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saved your ship numerous times, I want to make the Prowler my home... and the captain is a hot Khajiit. Oops did I say that?
    Options
  • Blackhorne
    Blackhorne
    ✭✭✭✭
    they can yes,
    the problem is it would be impossible to have your "boat home" dock at any port in the normal zones... there are enough players that there would be no room and it would be alot of work for Zenimax to program the massive moveing platform when the core physics can barely handle players running over a rock.. (remember the catapulting rocks?) so while its possible in gaming overall, its not going to happen in this game..

This wouldn't be a problem if you don't share your home with other players -- all player ships could be anchored at a single dock, and through the magic of phasing, you just see and enter your own.

If they wanted to allow people to visit others' ships, they could implement an "invitation" object which you could mail to your friend. Your friend would then activate/equip your invitation, and then they'd see and enter your ship for the duration of the invitation.
    Options
  • Dovel
    Dovel
    ✭✭✭
    Having ships for that is a great idea. It can be an instance, and even have a Guest List so we can let other players come and go as they want.
    Options
  • ArconSeptim
    ArconSeptim
    ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest people to bookmark these kind of threads as WHO knows when this will even be implemented or better said worked on.
    Options
  • wackwii
    wackwii
    I really hope you will be able to buy ships sometime. You could use it as a guild hangout and decorate it anyway you want
    "You dream of the moon and of a man who is less than a man"
    Options
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they can yes,

simply..

A: as you said allow your ship house to be accessed by wayshrine.
    B: if not by wayshrine can just use a Rowboat transport to the house.

The boathouse itself can simply be a combined outside/inside mini-zone that depicts the boat as at sea. this would be very easy to implement.

on a side note, i would prefer a nice warm and cozy house like the ones in anvil from oblivion. i liked the haunted house in that games and the housing in that town in general, even tho the other more expensive houses had better interiors the look of that house from the outside was perfect.

Rowboat definitely! Great idea. Wayshrine? No thank you

There's already so much disassociation between player movement and the landscape of the game. Something that's such a shame, but seemingly a trend in these 'rush rush to get everywhere to do everything right now' types of MMOs now days.

Has there been any word at all from Zenimax, since they told us over a year ago now they were looking at adding player housing but 'wanted to do it right' so we shouldn't expect anything for 'a couple of years'?
    If you can be anything, be kind.
    Options
  • RavenSkylord
    RavenSkylord
    ✭✭✭
    Kind of torn here, ship based homes would be ideal for the overall magnitude of the game, but like the idea of choosing one zone to call home as well. Obviously loading in would be required as it would be impossible to have individual homes for all players accessible, which could be a point of griefing as open homes could be invitation for high end theft.

Regardless homes should be fully functional, options for crafting stations and lock boxes as well as display areas for trophies. Hate having to deconstruct, sell or trash momentos due to inventory constraints.

From practicality I think saving home detail locally would be ideal, then friends could only load in when you are online, and in home.

Another possible solution would be to instead focus on larger scale Guild halls, with private bedroom access for storage purposes, but would rather see this added after homes as a seperate function.

Money sinking potential, allow the purchase of set crafting stations as an option for purchase through crown store. Or allow for the creation ot personal sets the player chooses the bonuses from a preset list of options. This would allow crafters to differentiate their wares from the current everyone can make the same thing problem.

As a Smith I spend a lot of time focusing on my craft and would like the opportunity to create something special and unique.

Options
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jed8762 wrote: »
    Just reminiscing to the original "Daggerfall" - Would it be possible and/or desirable to make those huge ships into instanced player housing? And be able to use your ship not only as a home, but also be able to move from large harbors to large harbors that the player has found - similar to the wayshrines?
    That would be, actually, great!
    Options
  • SOLDIER_1stClass
    SOLDIER_1stClass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is this not a thing yet? This would be amazing!
    Options
  • xaade
    xaade
    ✭✭✭
    the problem is it would be impossible to have your "boat home" dock at any port in the normal zones... there are enough players that there would be no room

I have no problem with another player appearing to come out of my boat's door.

It already happens that a player appears to exit after me from a solo mission door, when they weren't inside with me.

Options
  • RavenSkylord
    RavenSkylord
    ✭✭✭
    xaade wrote: »
    the problem is it would be impossible to have your "boat home" dock at any port in the normal zones... there are enough players that there would be no room

I have no problem with another player appearing to come out of my boat's door.

It already happens that a player appears to exit after me from a solo mission door, when they weren't inside with me.

As previously mentioned having a row boat at port cities to access your ship would also solve the same home feel. Could make it a ferry of sorts that would feasinly transport multiple players to multiple ships
    Options
  • F7sus4
    F7sus4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd really like to see this idea/topic see more love.
    Options
  • randolphbenoit
    randolphbenoit
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like build the boat/ ship - woodworking for lumber, blacksmith for nails/ rigging and clothing for sails/ ropes!
    the NeXus Guild (NA-DC-Crafters) contact @randolphbenoit - Currently Allies to Fairy Tail of Tamriel (Social) and Brave Kore (DC PvP). https://twitter.com/randolphbenoit

Saltrice - (Salt tolerant rice) Saltrice, pronounced just like it looks is, in fact, a kind of rice that can grow in paddies of either fresh or brackish water.
    Options
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    or u just build your own ship ingame ^^
    Options
  • randolphbenoit
    randolphbenoit
    ✭✭✭✭
    @actosh *Thumbs Up!*
    the NeXus Guild (NA-DC-Crafters) contact @randolphbenoit - Currently Allies to Fairy Tail of Tamriel (Social) and Brave Kore (DC PvP). https://twitter.com/randolphbenoit

Saltrice - (Salt tolerant rice) Saltrice, pronounced just like it looks is, in fact, a kind of rice that can grow in paddies of either fresh or brackish water.
    Options
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still working on mine ^^
    Options
  • Vizier
    Vizier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would actually be pretty cool.
    Options
  • Sheyta
    Sheyta
    ✭✭✭
    Well I wouldnt mind a boat ancored outside my palace with pirate flaggs on ;)
    Options