Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Bretons actually better than High Elves in PvP?

Artanis
Artanis
✭✭
Um I've asked this question in one of the recent poles in General Discussion Sections, but it was just a brief comment and no one responded, so I have to ask this question:

Are Breton magsorcs actually better than High Elves in PvP? Now, I've searched the forums and searched the web and heard different opinions about these two viable magicka dps races.
I am aware that Altmers are better than Bretons when it comes to PvE damage and this is especially true for high end contents when all your gears + skills are optimal. Bretons, on the other hand, have more versatility as they can be used as not only just damage dealers but also tanks and healers.

For PvP, I think I've heard more ppl say that Bretons have a slightly higher edge than Altmers. Is this actually true? Can anyone confirm this? I am currently running two magsorc damage characters on my account - one for PvP and one for PvE, both of which are Altmers. I've had enough money saved from my subscription crowns and was thinking about changing the PvP magsorc from Altmer to Breton (for diversity sake rather than actual PvP performance issue). But I really don't want to burn my Crowns to only later find out that the cost reduction and resistance passives on Bretons are actually worse than flat elemental damage increase of Altmers.

Can anyone share their insight on this issue?
Edited by Artanis on March 19, 2017 5:32AM
PC NA Megaserver
Cyrodiil Campaign Trueflame
<DC> Ar'tanis - High Elf Magicka Sorcerer
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 2k spell resist and cost reduction isn't better than the mag regen and bonus damage imo.

That may change when there's no cost reduction CP, making the breton passive more valuable, but I think for light armor mag sorc you'll be better off with the regen anyway.
  • Firerock2
    Firerock2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trust me, go Breton; never go elf. Especially since you have chosen the correct alliance
    Edited by Firerock2 on March 19, 2017 6:23AM
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi. I think it was my comment you responded too in another thread. What I said is that breton's were arguably the better race for pvp (although for pure dps an altmer is the min/max meta), but there isn't a clear best in pvp, only races that are better for specific players playstyles. You will not get a definitive answer, and anyone who tells you that x is definitely better than y is only sharing their oppinion.

My opinion? Most of the class defining skills sorcs love in pvp (streak, curse, encase, mines, frags, shields) aren't really affected by Altmer's destruction mastery passive, but they are affected by spell cost reduction. There are more sources of mag regeneration than there are spell cost reduction, so a Breton can easily have both if you struggle to sustain. The (re)current meta is that magicka>stamina, so spell resistance is nice (but is potentially a wasted passive if you can stay in your shields).

So it's my opinion that altmers are better at shock aoe, while breton's passives are generally more widely useful in pvp, but I know many people will feel differently. A skilled altmer dropping a destro ulti will be more dangerous, but a skilled breton will probably last longer. Ultimately it will depend on your build and personal ability.

Good luck, I'm currently thinking of doing a race change the other way, breton to altmer, on my pve magsorc, and it isn't a simple choice when you start thinking about it in detail.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe the Breton racial bonus will become more valuable once we can no longer get cost reduction from CP.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Of course. Dat 1% extra AP is where it's at.