Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why does pvp lag so much when PvE is fine?

radikil
radikil
Soul Shriven
So I've been playing eso about 3 months in pve and loved it. Yesterday I started to try out pvp and I can see I'll love it too, siege warfare is great. The problem I have is as soon as I enter it lags horribly regardless of how many players I'm with 2-50 is the same even though in pve I can be in a massive group of 50 people and it runs fine.

I'm in Australian so I expect my destined 250 ping but I'm getting hit with what feels like 3000 and even getting crashes. I don't think it's my end because I use to WvW on gw2 back when I used my laptop for games, though that may be different.

Is this a known thing or just me? Is there a way to fix it?
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's based on the number of server requests going on.

Every single action taken by players in a Cyrodiil instance has to be send to the server, resolved, then sent back to every client which needs that information.

When big fights are happening the number of requests followed by the number of processes on the server to resolve it all.

PvE zones are to my knowledge spread out across nodes/blades (whatever they're called these days) where's each Cyrodiil one is on a single one for that instance.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • AJ_1988
    AJ_1988
    ✭✭✭
    That's just pvp since always. I'm west Aus Xbox but it happens to everyone at some point. As far as I know what happens in one place in pvp can affect another place, in pvp there are also a lot more calculations for the server to perform, hundreds per person even more in regards to mitigation, co boosts buffs rebuffs etc. lag isn't as bad as it used to be back in the early days and they are focussing on pvp performance this year apparently. Our location and therefore ping has an influence but because our government likes to be 10+ years behind there's not much we can do. We even fall behind some 3rd world countries in regards to internet infrastructure.
  • AJ_1988
    AJ_1988
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    It's based on the number of server requests going on.

Every single action taken by players in a Cyrodiil instance has to be send to the server, resolved, then sent back to every client which needs that information.

When big fights are happening the number of requests followed by the number of processes on the server to resolve it all.

PvE zones are to my knowledge spread out across nodes/blades (whatever they're called these days) where's each Cyrodiil one is on a single one for that instance.

Generally called shards these days, as I understand there are the 2 megaservers eu/na and each is made up of a heap of smaller servers that act as a zone per server (shards I think) each zone is made up of instances which when one is full another opens, so every time you go from say glenumbra to stormhaven and back to glenumbra you will probably see different people even tho the same ones as before are still there.

Cyrodiil is one server with each campaign being an instance holding roughly 200 people max at a time. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.
  • vivisectvib16_ESO
    vivisectvib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVE lags too. Trying being in a world boss fight in Hew's Bane during this Thieves Guild anniversary event. Slide. Show.
  • Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    radikil wrote: »
    So I've been playing eso about 3 months in pve and loved it. Yesterday I started to try out pvp and I can see I'll love it too, siege warfare is great. The problem I have is as soon as I enter it lags horribly regardless of how many players I'm with 2-50 is the same even though in pve I can be in a massive group of 50 people and it runs fine.

I'm in Australian so I expect my destined 250 ping but I'm getting hit with what feels like 3000 and even getting crashes. I don't think it's my end because I use to WvW on gw2 back when I used my laptop for games, though that may be different.

Is this a known thing or just me? Is there a way to fix it?

PVE also has crazy lag. Especially Rakkhat in vMoL, and the Warrior in vHRC.... running my computer on potato settings and still get 5fps... rip
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage