The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templar tanks are potato against DK?

Gordon906
Gordon906
✭✭✭
I've heard people saying that Templars are bad tanks and is DK really that much better for pve tanking (group dungeons, trials).
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is true. You should play the way you want, but if you want to be the best tank possible, you should go DK.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I feel like the issue with Templar tanks is that any group utility they provide (which is less than DKs) can be provided by the healers if they are Templars, which they usually are. They can be nice for dungeons if you have a good group because they can provide some good healing and you can drop the healer and go with 3 DPS.
    Edited by Danksta on February 27, 2017 7:26PM
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Stalwart385
    Stalwart385
    ✭✭✭✭
    DKs have igneous weapons and chains. A must for maximising trial and vdsa run times. Other than that, templars aren't bad tanks. They can even heal tank dungeons to support three dps runs.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleanse...vCOS calls for you!

But I don't know sorc tanks are number Number one. But seriously ingenious weapons aren't need is DPS is buffing themselves or one DK in group.
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion...

Templar tanks don't have much in the way of crowd control, so they are tougher to play in mob pulls. It's doable! (Except the untauntable cats in MoL, but usually groups have a magDK chainer for those anyway). It's just more difficult than the Dragonknight who can even chain ranged adds in and talon them down.

The other weakness is resource management in boss fights without adds. Repentance is awesome when adds are available! But in extended single-target fights a Dragonknight can essentially permablock if needed, and live off magicka and ultimate by converting it to stamina, while the Templar must be more creative. (You can only synergize with Shards once every 10 seconds, and using different morphs of Shards doesn't bypass the cooldown).

These are the two big things that make Dragonknights easier to tank with compared to Templars in my opinion, and also why many endgame guilds insist on Dragonknights.
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also aren't most tanks Templar or DK these days... I even see an increase in sorc tanks... Where have NB tanks gone? I can't imagine issues in four man content that are game breaking. In fact the utility from healer line makes me think maybe the issue is team compatibility. Sure if healer are healers are Templar then you are...Not needed.

There's a monster if you really want chains, some self sustaining sets out there, but as a tank you have shards for DPS, cleanse yucky places, nova for damage mitigation.

As to say anything is possible in eso even nine races, four classes, there roles. You just have to think creatively and follow path less traveled.
    Edited by Tasear on February 27, 2017 8:45PM
  • Joshua261
    Joshua261
    ✭✭✭
    I have played both Templar and Dragonknight tanks and for me my Templar may be able to self sustain more when it comes to magicka and stamina and can throw out good heals if he's low on health but my DK tank very rarely goes to 70% health but if he does I can shield and self heal to full. So overall they are both as useful but for survival in dungeons i have to name the better class as the DK.
    Joshua Doom- Imperial Templar
    Mr Altmer- High elf sorcerer
    Silent Destroyer- Khajiit nightblade
    Heals-with-scales- Argonian Templar
    Cat Sorc-- Khajiit sorcerer
    The poison expert- Imperial Dragonknight
    Templar Destroyer- High Elf Templar
    Nooby Warden- High Elf Warden
    Poisonous Noob- Redguard Dragonknight
    Death-by-Magicka- Dark Elf Nightblade
    Sinisterblade- Redguard Warden
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    So templar is a weak tank :P atleast it's versatile with imperial which is my main character.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gordon906 wrote: »
    So templar is a weak tank :P atleast it's versatile with imperial which is my main character.
    No... it is not a weak tank. They just lack a bit of stamina sustain, and a pull. Overall they can be solid tanks if you play them well. Being able to off heal is a major advantage, and makes puging that much easier. If built right, they can even heal and tank at the same time in a veteran dungeon. DK just has a bit more classic tanking tools.

• soll
    soll
    ✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »
    Where have NB tanks gone? I can't imagine issues in four man content that are game breaking.

I love my NB tank, because the way it plays is simply interesting. Also, very nice skill massive agro.

speaking about templar tanks: I have a friend who is awesome tank on stam templar. the problem is that he is dedicated 1 char player and refuses to play any other toon
    I wish he was a dk lol
    . As for utility, playing as a heal I can run aura, while he is using repentance, so I have free space to slot stalwart guard for our dps :) But yes, Dk chain are op in dungeons and igneous weapons are nice comparing to other non dk tanks.

I would say in 4 man dungeons it's not important much, as long this temp/nb/sorc tanks knows his job. It brings some interest and freshness to the game. But for end game this is not going to work.

PS – in my pve 4 man group we also play sometimes with 3 dps and 1 Tank-healer. Before it was sorc with pets, but this patch it's magic templar. And this is pretty fun, especially when all 3 dd are very good. This set up helps us to carry new players through vet HM dailies :)
    EU PC
    I like to heal
    Triggered Tryhards/ HighRisk
    EP – Sollencia
    AD – Sollencia Overdose
    When you've invested time and money into a company, you have the right to be upset over changes that will negatively affect your experience and gameplay.

• Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing dk tanks really have over Templar are chains, dks have better stam sustain but use stam to heal themselves and group, Templars have better mag sustain and use mag to heal themselves and group. For vmol you'll want dk but everything else a Templar is just as good(sometimes better) as they both have increased block damage reduction increased ult regen and of course can wear the same support gear. Most people are dk tanks because its 'tanking 4 dummies' and they don't know how to play Templar.

And for those dungeons and dsa runs any tank can put on swarm mothers, i'd even recommend dks do it for trash pulls to combine the chain/range taunt into one click. usually by the time a tank taunts AND chains in adds at range the other ones are already dead so the grouping is kinda pointless and doesn't effect the outcome of your run.
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    I am having a very hard time with stamina regen, I have about 1k stamina regen with engine guardian. I slotted repentance and when I play imperial prison I veteran, my stam gets shredded and so die my health. Atleast nonveteran mode is a cakewalk.
  • Micah_Bayer
    Micah_Bayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about Templars not being a great tank, you have a ton of utility that your group can utilize to heal you or protect you.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am having a very hard time with stamina regen, I have about 1k stamina regen with engine guardian. I slotted repentance and when I play imperial prison I veteran, my stam gets shredded and so die my health. Atleast nonveteran mode is a cakewalk.
    Stamina regen is pointless as a tank, since you will often be blocking. Rather spec into block cost reduction and stamina cost reduction in general. Use absorb magicka on your main bar, weave in heavy attacks and when it really gets hairy, just use a potion. With a good healer providing shards its peanuts.

• Tinus_92
    Tinus_92
    ✭✭✭
    Templar tanks (or any class) are fine in dungeons, not so much in (vet) trials.
    Ingame ID: @Suni_92
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    Stamina regen is pointless as a tank, since you will often be blocking. Rather spec into block cost reduction and stamina cost reduction in general. Use absorb magicka on your main bar, weave in heavy attacks and when it really gets hairy, just use a potion. With a good healer providing shards its peanuts.

Absorb magic seems like a waste since many other things can give you more than 8% bonus of reduce cost and mitigation.
    Edited by Gordon906 on March 1, 2017 5:45PM
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »

Absorb magic seems like a waste since many other things can give you more than 8% bonus of reduce cost and mitigation.
    Complains about stamina sustain... finds absorb magicka to be a waste... -_-

Just realize that every % reduction in block cost and % increase in block mitigation, ALSO increases the buffs to block that you already have active. The more the better, especially as a templar tank. Because the only reason I can see a tank run out of stamina, is because he blocks too much or cannot block as much as needed. Which you need to spec for.

Oh yea, not to mention you can bypass massibe amounts of damage from some bosses that cast bolts of magic at you. Some of which are near one shots.
    Edited by Koensol on March 2, 2017 7:10AM
  • Knights12
    Knights12
    ✭✭✭
    With the launch of Homestead, I believe Radiant Aura serves as a de facto AOE taunt. Just drop it as the fight starts, also you could use Guard from Alliance skills. Just two ways a Templar can do this. Oh and Caltrops...like a previous poster said, be creative.
  • Jamini
    Jamini
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Every little bit helps against nastier foes.

I wouldn't bother with it in vet dungeons (even DLC), but in Trials I normally take Absorb Magic over Shuffle. That's as a DK.
    "Adapt. or Die."