The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Tipping

Reivax
Reivax
✭✭✭✭
If I give someone the nirncrux and material to make me an level 1, no trait item so that I can then research it, what's a good tip?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5K per item, maybe less if your asking for multiples at once.

As someone who learned this trait on everything on one character, and all metals on another, it was a very expensive proposition. Figure at least 20K to purchase each item for research back when I did it. A little less now. And, since it is one of the latter traits people learn, it can be a months long process to gain the knowledge.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Join a guild most people will do it for free , I do the more people that can do all 9 traits the less hassle I get
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Nestor. It's funny, but most guys won't take my tip, and others even just gave me the item without taking my nirncrux! Lot of cool people. I have been looking in guild stores, weapons are like 15-16k and armor was much cheaper, but all over the place, like 3k to 10k.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as you are sincerely offering the tip.

Also some might be embarrassed to accept it, but still offer it.

If I am already at or near the crafting station and on my master crafter I don't expect much in the way of a tip. If I have to drop what I am doing, find safe place to park my alt, then log to my crafter and get to the station, that is something else entirely.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭
    I craft for free if you provide the mats. If you want to tip you can but I never ask. Had one guy tip me 10k. Awesome so I made his gear all purple, 20 grain solvents cost more than $10k but whatever. Then five minutes later he is begging for his money back cause he wants to buy something else. Gave it back. Never making stuff purple for anyone without agreed payment anymore. I have hundreds of blue and green upgrades. Struggle to keep purple in stock
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few basic pieces for research should cost nothing, and no reasonable crafter would accept a tip.

The exception is of you're asking for many different pieces and traits, or if you can't figure out what you want or can't communicate it clearly, and we have to spend 10 minutes or more working out your order. Then a tip of at least 5k is appropriate, and we'll probably never craft anything for you again.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    A few basic pieces for research should cost nothing, and no reasonable crafter would accept a tip.

The exception is of you're asking for many different pieces and traits, or if you can't figure out what you want or can't communicate it clearly, and we have to spend 10 minutes or more working out your order. Then a tip of at least 5k is appropriate, and we'll probably never craft anything for you again.

Why not? If I'm going out of my way to help you, why shouldn't I accept a tip if offered?
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

GL of Hearthlight - a NA/PC Housing guild. PM for details/invite!

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

NO reasonable crafter would accept a tip ?

Please don't tell others what they should or shouldn't accept, nor at what price they should sell their services. If you don't accept tips for research items, that's your choice and that's fine as such, but don't extend that to everyone.

I prefer a fixed price agreed upon in advance rather than tips - tips are too subject to misunderstandings.

• Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's clear that some people have no problem taking tips for spending 10 seconds crafting a defending bow for research, but I suspect most players would decline the gold.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well it's clear that some people have no problem taking tips for spending 10 seconds crafting a defending bow for research, but I suspect most players would decline the gold.

I craft free stuff if they provide mats. But, if I have to log into my crafter go to s station and craft yes I will take a tip. Most of the time I get tips from guild mates, they are in the form of mats or style materials so it's not about being greedy. It's a tip, you provide a service and they appreciate it so they show it with a tip.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's *always* more than ten seconds. You have to include :
    - Collect the data from the customer (what does he want exactly)
    - Write it down or memorize it
    - Collect materials
    - Interrupt whatever you were doing
    - Relogging to crafting alt
    - Travel to crafting station (incl. loading screens, fighting mobs, getting lost, etc)
    - Craft
    - Send or transfer item to customer
    - Discuss price/tip
    - Social conversation (hello, thank you, please, goodbye, etc.)

Depending on the situation, some of these steps will not apply, but the point is, it's *always* closer to 15 minutes than to 10 seconds, even for a research item.

Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on February 28, 2017 3:28PM
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have two maxed crafters, one has all 9 traits on everything done, the other one has crafting maxed, but is working on the 9th trait. I craft for 4 guilds. I log into all my characters every day, to get mail from hirelings if nothing else. When I'm on my crafters, normally parked near the crafting areas in riften or mournhold or davon's watch, I ask if anyone wants any research items made. If I'm not on my crafter, then I ask them to send me mail with what they want, and they wait until I do get on my crafter. I don't charge anything for research items. I do ask for nirncrux if they want nirnhoned, since the rng gremlins usually hate me when I'm farming in Craglorn.

The only time I'll ask for mats is for nirnhoned, the style mats if they want a "rare" style like Pact/Dominion/Covenant/Celestial and if they want cp160 gear. I don't have enough mats stockpiled to do multiple cp160 sets. I improve everything to green. For lower level gear, I'll make it for guildies for free even without the mats. If they want it blue or better, then they give me the tempers. If they want to tip, that's fine. The first guild I joined was super people who helped me a lot, and wouldn't take payment for anything. When the nirnhoned items first came out, and each piece for research cost 50k or more, my guildmates would make items for free as long as you had the nirncrux. I consider making research items for free paying forward the help I received.
  • Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JKorr wrote: »
    I have two maxed crafters, one has all 9 traits on everything done, the other one has crafting maxed, but is working on the 9th trait. I craft for 4 guilds. I log into all my characters every day, to get mail from hirelings if nothing else. When I'm on my crafters, normally parked near the crafting areas in riften or mournhold or davon's watch, I ask if anyone wants any research items made. If I'm not on my crafter, then I ask them to send me mail with what they want, and they wait until I do get on my crafter. I don't charge anything for research items. I do ask for nirncrux if they want nirnhoned, since the rng gremlins usually hate me when I'm farming in Craglorn.

The only time I'll ask for mats is for nirnhoned, the style mats if they want a "rare" style like Pact/Dominion/Covenant/Celestial and if they want cp160 gear. I don't have enough mats stockpiled to do multiple cp160 sets. I improve everything to green. For lower level gear, I'll make it for guildies for free even without the mats. If they want it blue or better, then they give me the tempers. If they want to tip, that's fine. The first guild I joined was super people who helped me a lot, and wouldn't take payment for anything. When the nirnhoned items first came out, and each piece for research cost 50k or more, my guildmates would make items for free as long as you had the nirncrux. I consider making research items for free paying forward the help I received.

Same here, but as one of the main crafters in my guilds they always send me craft stuff, style mats, and other stuff they don't use. I will accept tips if they want to give one, but as for the general population they can pay. If I happen to be near a crafting station and someone asks for research stuff, then yes I'll make it without chrage, unless nirn, if they have mats free if not market value.
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only craft for my guilds, and only certain ones. I will do it for free or for materials depending on the item.

I don't ask for tips, but happily accept them. Someone gave me 10k plus all materials yesterday for a target skeleton (it was a nice surprise), although usually people who want to tip just send me their excess crafting materials they don't intend to use (which is actually extremely exciting for a crafter with ESO+). Someone also gifted me an Ancient Orc Motif the other day, too, which was totally awesome.
    Edited by SolarCat02 on February 28, 2017 6:12PM
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely craft for free. Or, better said, I craft for free for friends and never for strangers.

Not for the gold itself : I have plenty of it already.

But because I want people who ask to be serious about it, to know what they want, to really need a crafter, and not to ask around out of laziness.

If people start discussing the price, and argue that "they have plenty of friends who would do it cheaper or for free", then fine, that's exactly what I want them to do : bother their friends and guildies instead of bothering me.

But I am quick, focused, honest, reliable, and can craft anything. So if someone needs 12 different pieces, all with different and specific traits, in 4 different fancy styles and flavours, and are serious about it, I WILL take two hours, I WILL write it down, check the mats, help them with shopping mats and checking prices, etc. I will get them the exact gear combination that they want, patience included.

Those people usually tip me ON TOP of my prices (not required though, a price is a price, no need to add to it).

Being a high-quality master crafter feels rewarding. Playing the slave for lazy players who won't bother learning 2 traits or paying 5K isn't.

I cannot possibly blame people who craft for free and for anyone : they're nice people. But it does encourage lazy players to think crafters are there to fulfill their immediate needs right here, right now. We crafters aren't shoe cleaners (and that comparison isn't nice to shoe cleaners, a highly respectable job in many regards, but you get what I mean).

• STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    if mats are provided i do not charge for crafting though i could see exceptions to that rule that i haven't encountered.

i like helping others, no need for paying me for that.

i think the only tip i ever accepted was 10g for a trait iron thingy - which was just not worth sending back.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Stopnaggin
    Stopnaggin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rarely craft for free. Or, better said, I craft for free for friends and never for strangers.

Not for the gold itself : I have plenty of it already.

But because I want people who ask to be serious about it, to know what they want, to really need a crafter, and not to ask around out of laziness.

If people start discussing the price, and argue that "they have plenty of friends who would do it cheaper or for free", then fine, that's exactly what I want them to do : bother their friends and guildies instead of bothering me.

But I am quick, focused, honest, reliable, and can craft anything. So if someone needs 12 different pieces, all with different and specific traits, in 4 different fancy styles and flavours, and are serious about it, I WILL take two hours, I WILL write it down, check the mats, help them with shopping mats and checking prices, etc. I will get them the exact gear combination that they want, patience included.

Those people usually tip me ON TOP of my prices (not required though, a price is a price, no need to add to it).

Being a high-quality master crafter feels rewarding. Playing the slave for lazy players who won't bother learning 2 traits or paying 5K isn't.

I cannot possibly blame people who craft for free and for anyone : they're nice people. But it does encourage lazy players to think crafters are there to fulfill their immediate needs right here, right now. We crafters aren't shoe cleaners (and that comparison isn't nice to shoe cleaners, a highly respectable job in many regards, but you get what I mean).

I'll give you an example. Last night I ran into a new player lvl 12. New to the game and new to my guild. He wanted lvl 12 training gear. Np I can handle that. I spent almost an hour with him, trying to figure out what he was attempting to build. I finally got him to tell me what sets, as he clearly knew but was afraid to ask. Then we got down to styles, which really didn't matter but wanted him to like what he was wearing. So while I took time to switch toon, consult with him on build, travel to two stations and build him some low level gear that will he useless in no time, I enjoyed the interaction. He was putting in the effort to learn the game. I told him don't worry about mats or gold, because I wanted him to have a decent experience playing. So I agree with you in that if they are trying I will always help.

But to those that want everything with nothing in return, or expect nothing in return, I simply don't have the time. If a random asks for gear I will ask a few question to see what kind of player they are, I will be patient up to a point. Had a guy wanted TBS cp160 in Dromathra, yep I can do that, 20k, "aw hell no, I'm not paying that". Ok have a nice day. Those players I do not have time for.
    Edited by Stopnaggin on March 1, 2017 1:44PM