Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Why do daggers and swords do the same damage?

basketcaseNZ
basketcaseNZ
✭✭
Something I've noticed is daggers and one handed swords do the same base damage. Why is that? Wouldn't a sword do more? Is there some other benefit of crafting a sword over a dagger? If not why not make a dagger and save on materials?

Thanks guys.
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For Dual Wielding they have a passive that makes it so that Swords give more damage but daggers give more crit, Axes gives chance to cause bleed and maces penetrate armor. That is the difference for Dual Wielding, but its linked to that passive. Using One-handed and shield it won't matter, there is no such passive so all weapons are equal in strength.
  • Brokensocket
    Brokensocket
    ✭✭✭
    Can you mix those passives.. e.g sword and axe for weapon dmg and bleeding?
    Edited by Brokensocket on February 13, 2017 8:28AM
    PSN: Spaztik_89
  • Carraig
    Carraig
    ✭✭✭
    As for as I know, yes. I believe the passive explanatory text also states this. Something about "damage X per weapon type used".
    Knight-Captain of the Tamriel's Elite Sentinels ( EU server-PC)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all."
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daggers should do more damage then swords.
    it is even in the lore
    in skyrim, Mehrunes Razor:
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Mehrunes'_Razor
    SR-item-Mehrunes%27_Razor.jpg

also ...
    in morrowind, Fang_of_Haynekhtnamet
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Fang_of_Haynekhtnamet
    MW-item-Fang_of_Haynekhtnamet.jpg
    Edited by Gilvoth on February 13, 2017 9:10AM
  • paulsimonps
    paulsimonps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    daggers should do more damage then swords.
    it is even in the lore
    in skyrim, Mehrunes Razor:
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Mehrunes'_Razor
    SR-item-Mehrunes%27_Razor.jpg

also ...
    in morrowind, Fang_of_Haynekhtnamet
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Fang_of_Haynekhtnamet
    MW-item-Fang_of_Haynekhtnamet.jpg

Both of those daggers are Special items with enchants and other powers.

If you want to use older games to say that the lore makes daggers stronger than lets go to Morrowind. "Daggers" were short blades and swords where either Longswords or Broadswords. And looking here we can clearly see that swords actual damage is much higher in general but short blades have a higher floor to their damage and hits much faster. Now in ESO since they took away Weighted there is no cast speed difference for the same type of weapons so that is not one of the things they could add in, and damage is fixed and not a variable that changes with skill increase. So having Daggers Crit and Swords have higher base seems really fitting. I see no lore reason for daggers to do more base damage than swords.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daggers should allways be more powerfull, it fits the lore.
  • basketcaseNZ
    basketcaseNZ
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys. Where do I look to check the passives? I haven't noticed it in the particular weapons description. Is it linked to your skills or something?
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    daggers should allways be more powerfull, it fits the lore.

But not common sense or physics.
  • Oompuh
    Oompuh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Where do I look to check the passives? I haven't noticed it in the particular weapons description. Is it linked to your skills or something?

Its a passive called Twin Blade and Blunt. Daggers give higher crit chance and Swords do more damage
    Xbox NA - Oompa
    Khajiit DK Tank
    Founder of Major Aegis
    Main Tank of Dissonant Crusade Uprising Savages
  • NocturnalGuideMe
    NocturnalGuideMe
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should add back in the Weighted variable as well as a Familiar Feel 2 or 3 point passive in all weapon skill lines for each weapon type. Or even a champion point line. that way it makes even more strategy when choosing your weapons. And adds a little bit of immersion with the fact that even in real life, the more you use a weapon the better you are. Thatd really give swordmasters or weapon experts a bit of an edge over opponents by encouraging you to stick with and add in to an immersive roleplay feel. Like if i dual weild daggers and craft my own, dont you think they are going to be better and do more damage in my hands than an Axe i stole off a weapon rack in a Fighters Guild? And for that matter, someone elses weapons wouldnt do as much damage either at first, further encouraging crafting.

just a few thoughts.
    Dar'Dek Do'Tenurr
    Khajiiti Stamina Nightblade
    Master Thief, Dark Brotherhood Executioner, Former Dro m'Athra Shade
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly for game balance reasons. However, daggers in this game are more like short swords anyways, only a select few styles are actually dagger sized.

Besides, the size of a blade doesn't make much difference once it's past your defenses, a six inch knife can reach your heart and vital organs just as easily as a forty inch sword. The only reason one might consider larger weapons more deadly is because it's easier to use against an armed and prepares enemy.
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    ... The only reason one might consider larger weapons more deadly is because it's easier to use against an armed and prepares enemy.

Exactly, a sword has a larger contact area to hit the target when being flailed wildly about. But that same contact area allows for a greater chance at deflection of the blow. A dagger requires more skill to hit the target, and consequently is less likely to be blocked due to it's smaller size. I think the devs got the property of the two weapons right given their limited combat mechanics to work with in this game.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos