Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Furniture crafting

Reivax
Reivax
✭✭✭✭
What was the goal behind this expansion? I don't see "fun" as being one of them, lol. I'm disappointed with it so far. Was it just to get me to go spend the gold and materials I have saved?

Fun would have been simple woodworking, clothing or blacksmithing skills and standard raw materials suffice to create very basic simple furniture and decorations.
Then rarer ingredients to create rare items. That sets up the endless "chase" element, ever looking for the rare ingredients and the cool recipes/plans/designs.

After 3 nights and about 5-6 hours of playing (and most of the last few nights has been gathering) I still don't even have double digit quantities of the essential ingredients for building stuff.
I'm patient, I'll keep at it, but my little room at the Rosy Lion is empty except for a candle and a wooden stool I made. All I need now is a rope to hang myself from the rafters there, because it's that depressing.

I've found tons of designs, that's easy. Found some purples and blues too. But I can't make them yet, lack of materials.

I think it would have been better to let us make simple stuff right off the bat, to hook us in. I'm not overly excited with it as it is though.
I was curious what other people feel about it?
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reivax wrote: »
    All I need now is a rope to hang myself from the rafters there, because it's that depressing.

Did you happen to see if the ceiling beam had "Brooks was here" carved upon it?

Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• Endek
    Endek
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Reivax, the only thing I am currently struggling with is the amount of farming time it takes to find even one raw material, such as Heartwood.

I'm hoping this low drop chance will improve otherwise I also envisage boredom setting in before I manage to furnish even one room.

Other than that, I'm still enjoying the game when I find the time to play it.

Bye for now and have fun out there.
  • aldriq
    aldriq
    ✭✭✭
    All I need now is a rope to hang myself from the rafters there, because it's that depressing.

I wouldn't rush into such dramatic decisions... besides the rope will cost you 4 bast, 3 alchemical resin, 1 mundane rune.

I do hope they tweak the mat drop rate a bit.

• Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »

Did you happen to see if the ceiling beam had "Brooks was here" carved upon it?

I get that reference! lol sadly there aren't even beams in that room...

True story, about maybe 20 years ago when I was working in a hotel in college, I had to drive James Whitmore over to the performing arts center. I said all the gushing stupid fan stuff like "wow, cool to meet you" and so on. He asked what was my favorite role of his. I mentioned the episode of Twilight Zone he was in. And he said, well that's a first. Pretty much everyone your age only knows me for hanging myself.
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    Endek wrote: »
    Hi Reivax, the only thing I am currently struggling with is the amount of farming time it takes to find even one raw material, such as Heartwood.

I'm hoping this low drop chance will improve otherwise I also envisage boredom setting in before I manage to furnish even one room.

Other than that, I'm still enjoying the game when I find the time to play it.

Bye for now and have fun out there.

Yes, me too. I would love to be able to actually *make* something and decorate. I think you are right, boredom with the process will set in before people manage to gather enough to decorate a simple room...
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Housing would have been a lot better received if they'd released the materials first. Like, if they'd started populating the world with all these mundane runes, bast, decorative wax, etc. a month or so ago. If they had given us time to accumulate the materials through the course of our normal play before implementing the crafting system itself, it wouldn't feel like quite as much of a slog now.

I think Housing will feel a lot better in a month, when everyone has returned to PvEing and PvPing instead of focusing on houses, and have thus started harvesting crafting nodes between whatever else they do instead of farming them like so many people are now. Give it a month or two, and it will feel like most other crafting skills, where we'll have most of what we need in a stockpile and can find the rest on guild traders.

I think this system will be great once it has some time to settle in. For right now, I'm having fun collecting recipes, but I also worked through a lot of my more creative ideas on the PTS, so I'm okay patiently waiting for the resources to really dive into furnishing on the live server.

I think this could have been implemented better. They did listen a bit to the PTS players who wanted basic furniture to be more available... by adding some basic furnishing items to the vendors. But it wasn't a lot, and it wasn't quite enough.

It's flawed, but I think its flaws will be a lot less glaring in a month. So my advice is to play the game as normal and come back to your apartment in a month having stocked up your inventory with recipes and materials... it will be a lot less depressing then. :)
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Dread_Viking
    Dread_Viking
    ✭✭✭✭
    wood drop rates are way to low
    Don't worry girl I'm a Sorcerer, i got my Hardened Ward for protection
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭

Last night, I finally had enough wood to make some of the things I'd learned. I was not paying attention and I hit E or R or whichever one is build and not exit... "built" a stupid sign post, and used up all my heartwood... lol
    My own fault, but still... The sign post doesn't even have a sign. It's a post; a symbol of my failure.

Also, I bought a table and a chair for my apartment. I also put a Nord Beer mug furnishing that I just found laying around, in some guy's pocket.
    By the way, if you enjoy thievery, be careful when fencing. There are quite a few found Furnishings that don't at first glance look much different than all the "Treasure" you're used to fencing. You could easily sell something you wanted to keep and no buy-backs with the fence...

The apartment is now slightly less dismal. It would be a pretty nice room if the windows actually looked out to the Daggerfall teleporter. Then I could sit in my room, drink Nord Beer and watch players assassinate that praying man standing by the teleporter, over and over and over and over.
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I like the most is not the ability to craft but possibility to make eg 2-nd floor in my open house space from rock Stones or make some constructions not designed to be there, like a small hut inside a big hut or even a stone igloo/wooden tent in my garden. Standard furnitures are quite boring, the ability to create something big from smaller elements is the most powerful feature I see with housings.
    Edited by Gargath on February 10, 2017 9:00PM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • dameron75ub17_ESO
    dameron75ub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    This was the coolest part about the housing system in EQ2. People were ridiculously creative when it came to using objects for other purposes than just what they were originally intended. Here's hoping we get some of that in this game as well.
  • Indigo_Shade
    Indigo_Shade
    ✭✭✭
    The zone I usually harvest in has been so overrun with high level characters trying to harvest Furniture materials I gave up harvesting this week. And until yesterday, I wondered if my lack of harvested Furniture mats was because I'm low level. Apparently not.

I do hope they tweak the drop rate, if only to give all of us some breathing room in high-used harvest areas.

I used to to sell a lot of "house" materials to players in EQ2. Housing is huge there, and I made millions selling rare mats so that people could create uber cool house interiors. Drop rates for rare mats were just high enough to not get bored from the grind, and I am one hell of a patient person.

But so far, the grind in ESO is just plain painful.
  • Zoner
    Zoner
    ✭✭✭✭
    What was the goal behind this expansion? I don't see "fun" as being one of them, lol. I'm disappointed with it so far. Was it just to get me to go spend the gold and materials I have saved?

Fun would have been simple woodworking, clothing or blacksmithing skills and standard raw materials suffice to create very basic simple furniture and decorations.
    Then rarer ingredients to create rare items. That sets up the endless "chase" element, ever looking for the rare ingredients and the cool recipes/plans/designs.

After 3 nights and about 5-6 hours of playing (and most of the last few nights has been gathering) I still don't even have double digit quantities of the essential ingredients for building stuff.
    I'm patient, I'll keep at it, but my little room at the Rosy Lion is empty except for a candle and a wooden stool I made. All I need now is a rope to hang myself from the rafters there, because it's that depressing.

I've found tons of designs, that's easy. Found some purples and blues too. But I can't make them yet, lack of materials.

I think it would have been better to let us make simple stuff right off the bat, to hook us in. I'm not overly excited with it as it is though.
    I was curious what other people feel about it?

I'm sorry but this made me laugh so hard with the rope and wooden stool XD

And yeah I feel you, I'd saved up alot of surveys and mats to get ready for furniture crafting but none of it helped, since zos decided to take the new furniture crafting mats out of the survey nodes, despite saying they wouldn't. I saved up 200 crafting surveys for nothing ;_; My house is pretty bare and feels like a gulag
    Edited by Zoner on February 11, 2017 12:57AM
    NA EP
    Seren Vedrano - EP NB
    Geldis Vedrano -EP DK
    Andewen Vedrano - EP Templar
    Swiggity Swag - DC NB
    Vashai The Impotent - AD DK
    Sprints-With-Erect-Spine - EP Templar
    Approved Inoffensive Name - EP Sorc
    Serana Vedrano - EP DK
    Cuckpoints - EP sorc
  • WolfgangArmadeus
    WolfgangArmadeus
    ✭✭✭
    I am completely turned off of eso now. The past 2 years have been pathetic and this housing update is just sad. What made them think people wanted to go pick more flowers and chop more trees?

Everyone has thousands of materials already gathered and they want us to go gather more stuff just to build a chair?

40000 pieces of lumber and I cant make a flippin chair? The chair requires more advnced materials than a magical staff?

Da F*q ZOS.... Wake up!

People did not buy a million dollar house so they could go pick more flowers and chop more trees. We would like to build stuff and decorate our houses. Not grind materials for 2 months to build 1 table.
  • Glurin
    Glurin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This was the coolest part about the housing system in EQ2. People were ridiculously creative when it came to using objects for other purposes than just what they were originally intended. Here's hoping we get some of that in this game as well.

I guarantee we will. People were building giant death robots and battle arenas on PTS. We'll probably see a lot more of that once we're able to accumulate some items.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
  • Commish
    Commish
    ✭✭✭
    Well one "Freebee" I have found so far is the ability to embed a mount in the wall.
    I have a very nice Kagouti head staring out above the mantle in my Forgotten Stronghold.
    Now I just need to get the fireplace working.
    Edited by Commish on February 11, 2017 2:27AM
  • CeaseSphire
    CeaseSphire
    ✭✭✭

It all depends on what your toon is good at. If they are more of a metal worker they'll find more metal mats. Same for anything else.
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    I total agree with OP at this point i try to get 4 Bast but i only got 1 so yeah you got love drop rate in mats for furniture crafting
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity