The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Tanking with Vampire Cloak or Plague Doctor?

Duragon_Darko
Duragon_Darko
✭✭✭
Ok, just started tanking trials. I made a 5 piece Tavas (weapon, shield, chest, legs, boots) with Bloodspawn (shoulders, head) and would like everyone's opinion as to which of the 2 sets in the subject line should I use as the secondary 5 piece. I know that Footman is a good set, but will need the drops first before equipping it. That goes for Ebon as well, as I know this set is needed but the jewelry only drops in Mal. Dragon is another set that is luck of the drop and is never on sale at market carts.

Plague Doctor gets me to 39k in health with 25k in magicka with a 4% increase to healing recieved.
Vampire Cloak only gets me to 32k health, 33k in magicka, but gives me a permanent 8% damage reduction.

Which would you use until you can get the other more preferred sets, and why would you use them?

All feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Sorry, edit for some info. 480 DK magicka tank.
Edited by Duragon_Darko on February 8, 2017 2:19AM
.... I have to admit, the devs do listen to reason, if not to the forums. Thank you for "nameplates", a welcome addition to immersion, as well as the text chat box for PS4, which only comes on the screen when I need it too, and helps this gameplay SO MUCH MORE then without it. THANK YOU for the additions. Very much appreciated.
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vamp cloak seem the best choice between him and plague, 30k health is enough and more magicka is appreciated.

Beside, ebon jewelries are found on crypt of heart (as the rest of the armor) and are easy to farm. Dragon drop at eastmarch (jewelries from anchors, slash from delves boss, hands from public dungeon boss) and are even easier to farm, and can be bought in guild store.
    Dragon is my far my favorite, especially for a ultimate-based DK tank. I run ebon whenever needed, but I'm using dragon far more.

Edit : both plague doctor and vampire cloak have the exact same drop requirement than dragon, only the region change.
    Edited by RoyJade on February 8, 2017 2:29AM
  • Duragon_Darko
    Duragon_Darko
    ✭✭✭
    @RoyJade
    I can't get dragon to drop to save my life, lol. I'm still trying. So far only a waist and a ring. And Ebon jewelry doesn't drop for crypt. After a weeks worth of running crypt 2 and 3 times each day and no jewelry, I Google'd it. Jewelry only drops from that trial.
    .... I have to admit, the devs do listen to reason, if not to the forums. Thank you for "nameplates", a welcome addition to immersion, as well as the text chat box for PS4, which only comes on the screen when I need it too, and helps this gameplay SO MUCH MORE then without it. THANK YOU for the additions. Very much appreciated.
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebon jewelries was dropping from MoL before One Tamriel, but now it dropping on crypt of heart, I can assure you. I farmed them for a friend one month ago, and even if the drop rate is horrendous (on the final boss -who is the only jewelries source-, 15 possible pieces from 3 sets, that mean 45 possibilities and only two good) we managed to get them.
    Before 1T Dragon 160cp was only found on Hel Ra Citadel, now it has been moved, as ebon (and as all the other sets : worm, viper, elegance, nikulaï, hircine… all except raid-dedicaced sets such ophidian, moondancer and so).

Farm the three anchors at Eastmarch, you should get one dragon jewelry each three anchor, and get the full jewelries sets in less than one hour (perhaps green-blue jewelries, but still better than nothing).
  • Peekachu99
    Peekachu99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I prefer Vampire Cloak. Even on a temp tank (Blazplar) you can reach 55K Health without PD, and you get a bit of spellpower and mitigation to boot. PD is decent in PVP, though, for making blazing shield pretty deadly even with the debuffs.

What class are you running? Or did you not say?
  • Duragon_Darko
    Duragon_Darko
    ✭✭✭
    @RoyJade, cool, I will try, thanks for the info, much appreciated!

@Peekachu99, magicka DK. I really like the Vamp set, but was just worried about the health so low. Thanks for the input.

Also, would any of you think being a vampire would help? Seeing as they have the extra magicka recovery and the damage decrease at 33%?
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, vampire could help, but it's a double-edge weapon.
    The undead passive is only slightly good, but still here. The regen passive is really good. The speed one is useless in pve, of course. But the major problem is the fire weakness : for most raids it's not a thing (you only find fire damage in HRC and probably on the future raid), but for some dungeon you may take a little too damage (city of ash, blessed crucible…), and for maelstrom and dragonstar arena it may be really dangerous. A dead tank won't tank anything.

If you want to try vampire, remember to feed in order to not be in stage 4, and even feed more (stage 1) for some fire fights. Bloody mara potion can help a lot.

Oh, and be prepared to play an ugly character :p

(For armor sets, I'm trying to find the english spreadsheet I used at the beginning of 1T who list everything and their locations, but since I created a french one I deleted the english one from my shortcuts.)
  • Duragon_Darko
    Duragon_Darko
    ✭✭✭
    @RoyJade, thanks bud. Ita cool, for sets I use this:
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, this one work well also :)
    And you're welcome !
  • amasuriel
    amasuriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, just started tanking trials. I made a 5 piece Tavas (weapon, shield, chest, legs, boots) with Bloodspawn (shoulders, head) and would like everyone's opinion as to which of the 2 sets in the subject line should I use as the secondary 5 piece. I know that Footman is a good set, but will need the drops first before equipping it. That goes for Ebon as well, as I know this set is needed but the jewelry only drops in Mal. Dragon is another set that is luck of the drop and is never on sale at market carts.

Plague Doctor gets me to 39k in health with 25k in magicka with a 4% increase to healing recieved.
    Vampire Cloak only gets me to 32k health, 33k in magicka, but gives me a permanent 8% damage reduction.

Which would you use until you can get the other more preferred sets, and why would you use them?

All feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Sorry, edit for some info. 480 DK magicka tank.

A lot of not great info in this thread unfortunately.

Regarding Ebon, There are 2 named amulet drops (from the Lich, Uulkar Bonehand and Dogas the Berserker) in CoH 1, and a named Ring from Iblegast (early boss) in CoH 2 in addition to the last boss drops. Swords and Shields are hard to get, but jewelry isn't too much of a farm as far as farms go.

Dragon you can farm from Chests / Dolmens / Public Dungeons and world bosses in Eastmarch, but yes can be a pain. Especially weapons as usual. A purple jewelry set is about 50k, but blue jewelry is cheap and not actually hugely different to start with.

Vampire cloak actually is much worse than it seems because sources of mitigation are multiplicative, not additive. This means that the bonus is effectively only 4% (since it applies multiplicatively with your presumably capped resistances).
    See https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/279426/damage-mitigation-explanation-and-list-of-options-updated-for-a-third-time/p1 for some more details.

Footman is not very good any more for similar reasons. The damage mitigation is 4% at best, and the block cost reduction is super negligible because you will be running sturdy on at least some, if not all your small armor pieces, and can further augment with some CP.

In general though, for normal trials, anything is fine as long as you can live. For vet trials, you will be hard pressed to find a group that doesn't want every set you wear to provide utility. This means both Vamp Cloak and Doctor will not be ideal.

The usual meta sets to pair together are limited to:
    Tava, Ebon, Alkosh (farm normal Maw of Lorkaj, it's not scary on normal), Akaviri. Some use for the off tank having Powerful Assualt PvP set, but no means required.
    Monster set either Bloodspawn or Lord Warden usually.

That isn't to say other sets don't have value, I'm not personally a meta peddler, but if you want to do vet trials this will be pretty expected unless you have a very understanding group, that isn't going for scores. Those types of people just want to do what is known to work well and not shake it up unless something changes. Not criticizing that mentality necessarily, but just saying if you want to do vet trials, expect most people to want you to be wearing 2 full sets plus monster set that add group utility.

Hope this is helpful.
  • sickboy2808
    sickboy2808
    ✭✭✭
    How do we get Gold Dragon jewerly apart from golden vender?? Is it from Weeklys? I bought one gold ring and really want all dragon gold jewerly
    ZOS takes cheating very Lightly. You have been warned, and any cheaters found out will get the Least punishment possible...
  • Duragon_Darko
    Duragon_Darko
    ✭✭✭
    @amasuriel
    In regards to the resistance cap, is it wise to get your resistance with gear and cp to the cap of 33k, or do we get to 25k and let our shields take us to the cap?
    Edited by Duragon_Darko on February 8, 2017 11:51PM
  • amasuriel
    amasuriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    @amasuriel
    In regards to the resistance cap, is it wise to get your resistance with gear and cp to the cap of 33k, or do we get to 25k and let our shields take us to the cap?

I'm not sure what you mean by shields. If you mean really shields, like Igneous Shield, they do not add resistance. Shields are not effected by any mitigation numbers (for the most part) or blocking. They absorb the amount of damage listed, and are therefore less useful as primary defense because they go down very fast unless you have a build around spamming them with very high values.

If you mean Spiked Armor that gives you major resolve and major ward, yes it's perfectly valid to have resistances totally unbuffed at ~28000 and cap it with a buff. The only suggestion there is that it should be a single, easy to maintain buff. Nightblades for example, have a harder time doing this because their source of Major Ward and Major Resolve only lasts about 12 seconds, so has to be reapplied frequently and is harder to maintain.
  • Duragon_Darko
    Duragon_Darko
    ✭✭✭
    @amasuriel
    Yes, I meant Spiked Armor. Thanks!
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Duragon_Darko

If your tanking normal trials you can pretty much wear anything.

For vet trails there are various sets that are beneficial to the group.

Ebon is a fan favorite if top to moderate raiding groups as it increases survivability for everyone. Great set for the MT to wear.

Alkosh is another great set for the tank to wear though it can take some time farming shields and mainhands. Jewelry not so bad. Increases the groups samage.

Both are great sets for vet trials

Until getting Alkosh Tavas will work fine.
  • amasuriel
    amasuriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Duragon_Darko

Ebon is a fan favorite if top to moderate raiding groups as it increases survivability for everyone. Great set for the MT to wear.

Alkosh is another great set for the tank to wear though it can take some time farming shields and mainhands. Jewelry not so bad. Increases the groups samage.

Though I have to point out that despite everyone insistence (including my suggestion above) that Tava's is good, even the mighty Woeler, which everyone points to as the tanking pinnacle in these threads, says Tava's isn't that great because the ultimate will be wasted in a decent 4 horn rotation. See his video on Jan 27th. https://woeler.eu/index.php

If you are just starting out of don't have Alkosh, Hist Bark is probably better than Tava's, since the evasion is free (dead tank is useless tank, and vet trials are hard), and no group with an actual 4 man horn rotation will be able to make use of the extra ultimate.

Another good point make in that video is that you will need different gear for different fights. Alkosh will be 100% useless in the final boss of AA, because you will be in a corner with axes beating your senseless and DPS don't touch the axes. So ideally, eventually you will have full sets of things you can swap in and out of depending on what the off tank has and what the trial is.
  • Duragon_Darko
    Duragon_Darko
    ✭✭✭
    @Giles.floydub17_ESO
    Thanks, great info!

@amasuriel
    That's the first time someone has said Hist is good because the dodge is free. I actually like the Evade ability and for some reason I see it proc more than Hist. Might be me. Still, thanks for the vid. Alot of good info.

And I farm for jewelry and hands/waist. The sword and shield are crafted Tavas, so when I swap bars I don't lose the second armor bonus.
  • Duragon_Darko
    Duragon_Darko
    ✭✭✭
    Ok... looking at the craftable tank sets... why does Alessia's Bulwark look better then Hist Bark? Anyone else think that? Even Song of Lamae looks better. Thoughts?
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    RoyJade wrote: »
    Well, vampire could help, but it's a double-edge weapon.
    The undead passive is only slightly good, but still here. The regen passive is really good. The speed one is useless in pve, of course. But the major problem is the fire weakness : for most raids it's not a thing (you only find fire damage in HRC and probably on the future raid), but for some dungeon you may take a little too damage (city of ash, blessed crucible…), and for maelstrom and dragonstar arena it may be really dangerous. A dead tank won't tank anything.

If you want to try vampire, remember to feed in order to not be in stage 4, and even feed more (stage 1) for some fire fights. Bloody mara potion can help a lot.

Oh, and be prepared to play an ugly character :p

(For armor sets, I'm trying to find the english spreadsheet I used at the beginning of 1T who list everything and their locations, but since I created a french one I deleted the english one from my shortcuts.)

1598304cb65589fcc29b3b0acbfa7f.png
  • amasuriel
    amasuriel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok... looking at the craftable tank sets... why does Alessia's Bulwark look better then Hist Bark? Anyone else think that? Even Song of Lamae looks better. Thoughts?

You won't notice 10% less weapon damage on enemies in most situations. Even the ones that do physical damage, its weapon damage the stat, not 10% overall damage. Lamae, you probably don't want your 5 piece bonus to only work when you are at 30%, since ideally you will never be at 30%.

If you don't like Hist Bark and are running shuffle anyway, nothing wrong with continuing to use Tavas, it's just that it can be hard to keep uptime on shuffle without good healer support, since it hard content you will be perma blocking and not regening stam the normal way.
  • Duragon_Darko
    Duragon_Darko
    ✭✭✭
    @amasuriel
    Truth, some really good input. I appreciate the time, thanks.
  • KisoValley
    KisoValley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farm ebon jewellery and run 5 ebon 5 tava. Once you move onto farming vmol normal for alkosh, you run 5 ebon armour 5 alkosh jewellery & s+b.

Dragon isn't bad until you get ebon and alkosh.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    ✭✭✭
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    amasuriel wrote: »
    @Duragon_Darko

Though I have to point out that despite everyone insistence (including my suggestion above) that Tava's is good, even the mighty Woeler, which everyone points to as the tanking pinnacle in these threads, says Tava's isn't that great because the ultimate will be wasted in a decent 4 horn rotation. See his video on Jan 27th. https://woeler.eu/index.php

If you are just starting out of don't have Alkosh, Hist Bark is probably better than Tava's, since the evasion is free (dead tank is useless tank, and vet trials are hard), and no group with an actual 4 man horn rotation will be able to make use of the extra ultimate.

Another good point make in that video is that you will need different gear for different fights. Alkosh will be 100% useless in the final boss of AA, because you will be in a corner with axes beating your senseless and DPS don't touch the axes. So ideally, eventually you will have full sets of things you can swap in and out of depending on what the off tank has and what the trial is.

@amasuriel

Thanks for your post. I might suggest reading my post again as I wasn't really suggesting Tavas as anything more than a place holder until getting better gear.

And yes, mage would not get the Alkosh debuff until the last few second of the fight the way most tanks do the mate fight though a skilled tank can hold the axes next to the mage

Considering that s thread was started asking about two sets I didn't feel it was necessary to provide a compendium of tanking sets.

Ebon, worm, Alkosh, powerful assault are probably the 4 sets I'd start off with and add in plague doctor for non regular groups within the guild.