The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.1 maintenance and is currently unavailable.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/657287/pts-incremental-patch-maintenance-extended-april-22-2024

So I read they nerfed the trainee set. Console player here

devilsTear
devilsTear
✭✭✭
How bad is the nerf really? It has a nice synergy with the dk passives so it's hard not to use, did the nerf kill the set or was it just toned down?
Edited by devilsTear on February 1, 2017 10:14PM
  • RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    50% nerf to the 5 piece bonus , the set is crap now
  • devilsTear
    devilsTear
    ✭✭✭
    Well that blows.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. It was too OP for end game.

2. The set is intended for new players.

Therefore, it was rightly nerfed ...
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No one was using it in end game, not PvE at least. Check lists for BIS sets and you won't find Trainee in there, not even for tanks lol. As for PvP, I'm not sure but it seems that everything is OP in Cyrodiil, judging by forum complaint threads.
    I'm using this set + willow path to level my alts and i think it does exactly what it is intended to do: help out low level toons.
    The nerf was just too harsh, i won't even bother to use it on a level 4 now.
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not a terrible nerf. It still gives a massive boost to all stats. And some do use it, for example on my Nord Templar alongside Draugr Hulk. Even after the nerf I'll get well over 40k stam with this build. He's fun to play.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arciris wrote: »
    No one was using it in end game, not PvE at least. Check lists for BIS sets and you won't find Trainee in there, not even for tanks lol. As for PvP, I'm not sure but it seems that everything is OP in Cyrodiil, judging by forum complaint threads.

This reply is laden with conjecture and thin on fact.

You say that you've been following PvP forum complaint threads ... but evidently missed all the other Armor of the Trainee pushback from PvP players. I guess it's not safe to assume all players know which end game my reply referred to (lol).

Do you have PTS testing of your own to back up this statement? Or, is this just an assumption?
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agegarton wrote: »
    Not a terrible nerf. It still gives a massive boost to all stats. And some do use it, for example on my Nord Templar alongside Draugr Hulk. Even after the nerf I'll get well over 40k stam with this build. He's fun to play.
    too bad that magdk don't have magicka boost sets at all
    Edited by Sugaroverdose on February 2, 2017 1:18PM
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This reply is laden with conjecture and thin on fact.

You say that you've been following PvP forum complaint threads ... but evidently missed all the other Armor of the Trainee pushback from PvP players. I guess it's not safe to assume all players know which end game my reply referred to (lol).

Do you have PTS testing of your own to back up this statement? Or, is this just an assumption?

I did mention that I wasn't sure for PvP.
    For PvE it is a solid fact that Trainee is not BIS for any class or role.
    And yes, I went to PTS quite a bit.
    I'm not saying no one will use it, I just said I will not use it even on a level 4 and the reason for that is that there are far better options than the Trainee in it's nerfed state, even for low level toons.

For those using the Trainee, I would suggest to just wear Twice Born Star with Mage and Tower mundus, you'll get more overall useful stats with it than the Trainee after nerf. And again, if you're building for health there are better options (ie: Plage Doctor + Green Pact or Plague doctor + Armor Master or Plague Doctor with TBS - Lord and Atro mundus or Plague Doctor + Ebon)
    Trainee is not a set you want to use to max one particular stats, it was usable for hybrid builds that are always at disadvantage anyway in the current meta.
    So, with all sets that may deserve a nerf (and didn't got it), the nerf to Trainee just seems absurd.

edited for typos.
    Edited by Arciris on February 2, 2017 1:13PM
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to help out those that were using the Trainee to max 1 particular stat (like mDK or magplar that can't use necropotence).

Magika: replace Trainee with 3 Grace of the Ancients elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Grace+of+the+Ancients+Set+ 2 Willpower. This setup grants you more max magika than using Trainee even before the nerf.

Stamina: just pair Draugh Hulk with Bone Pirate's Tatter. This setup grants more stamina than using Trainee even before the nerf.

Bonus: you get to have useful traits on everything (after proper grind)

Hybrid: TBS with Mundus of choice and invest in Hajeiko stones - I know those are more expensive than getting a Trainee set. This setup is not as good as the Trainee before nerf + hajeiko though. It also forces the use of Divines on everything to get the best of it. Also TBS is crafted, so you can't pair it with Pelinal's.

Conclusion: the nerf to Trainee nerfs hybrids and low level toons only.

Note: I'm not saying that those setups are BIS for anything. They are just better than Trainee towards the goal of achieving the maximum in 1 particular stat.

edited for clarification
    Edited by Arciris on February 2, 2017 2:07PM
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Delete - duplicated post
    Edited by Arciris on February 2, 2017 1:54PM
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wouldnt rly call it crap, it still provides a *** of stats.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to help out those that were using the Trainee to max 1 particular stat (like mDK or magplar that can't use necropotence)
    Magika: replace Trainee with 3 Grace of the Ancients elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Grace+of+the+Ancients+Set+ 2 Willpower. This setup grants you more max magika than using Trainee even before the nerf.
    Stamina: just pair Draugh Hulk with Bone Pirate's Tatter. This setup grants more stamina than using Trainee even before the nerf.

Bonus: you get to have useful traits on everything (after proper grind)

Hybrid: TBS with Mundus of choice and invest in Hajeiko stones - I know those are more expensive than getting a Trainee set. This set up is not as good as the Trainee before nerf + hajeiko though. It also forces the use of Divines on everything to get the best of it.

Conclusion: the nerf to Trainee nerfs hybrids and low level toons only.

Note: I'm not saying that those setups are BIS for anything. They are just better than Trainee towards the goal of achieving the maximum in 1 particular stat.

edited for clarification
    Grace of the ancients and willpower combo is not alternative, i don't even saying how *** it is in comparison with draugh hulk. Still nerf to trainee was just a wrobel way to force mDK to pay for those 5% whip damage.
  • SuperLarrio
    SuperLarrio
    ✭✭✭

No one was using it in end game, not PvE at least. Check lists for BIS sets and you won't find Trainee in there, not even for tanks lol.

I dont know what people were using it for but i know i made millions doing the quest to get the cp160 sharpened sword on 12 characters and selling them for 200k+...so someone end game was using the set.

"Scissors is in a good place right now but Paper is way OP"-Rock
    "Rock is in a good place right now but Scissors is way OP"-Paper
    "Paper is in a good place right now but Rock is way OP"-Scissors
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [/quote]Grace of the ancients and willpower combo is not alternative, i don't even saying how *** it is in comparison with draugh hulk. Still nerf to trainee was just a wrobel way to force mDK to pay for those 5% whip damage.[/quote]

It is better than Trainee for max magika (only).
    Both setups are *** compared to Hulk when it comes to increase 1 max stat.
    If you have 30k max magika before 2º 5 piece sets, Grace of the ancients grants you 1200 (4%) magika + Willpower 2 piece 1400 (+4% from Grace of the ancients)= 2600+ max magika compared to 2500 from Trainee. Very small margin but still better. Grace of the ancients also has a 1 piece bonus to max magika, same as Trainee.
    I totally understand that in PvP, with Battle Roar passive, Trainee offers more utility for mDK. But for raw max magika only, Grace of the ancient + Willpower is (slightly) better than Trainee.
    That was my point.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trainee did not need a nerf in any way.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Wouldnt rly call it crap, it still provides a *** of stats.

It's not crap but let's face it: 50% nerf was a bit too harsh for a set that wasn't even on the top 10 list of overperforming sets (that were left unchanged).
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't even know why I'm here defending the set when I don't even use it lol.
    Maybe it's because I have that inner hope that one day Hybrids will be viable again and seeing a nerf to a set that was pointing in that direction just makes me sad.
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's because I have that inner hope that one day Hybrids will be viable again and seeing a nerf to a set that was pointing in that direction just makes me sad.
    Hybrids struggle from CP "want damage - invest in this star, want defence - invest in those one" simplification in IC made things even worse to remove any requirement to think at least "what kind of damage do i deal mostly?", sadly but game is going in direction of single button zero thinking broken stuff exploiting and i don't believe that it may change in near future.
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hybrids struggle from CP "want damage - invest in this star, want defence - invest in those one" simplification in IC made things even worse to remove any requirement to think at least "what kind of damage do i deal mostly?", sadly but game is going in direction of single button zero thinking broken stuff exploiting and i don't believe that it may change in near future.

I agrre with you and I know that overall the game is pushing more and more towards blindly min/max one stat rather than hybridization (play as you want). Then they released Pelinal's and after Trainee and there was a tiny tiny light at the end of the tunnel. Then they nerf trainee set: hope dies. It's just sad.
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used trainee on my sorc and it did need a nerf, it gave too many stats I could use whatever food/drink I wanted cause I get enough health from trainee, also I never had to worry about stamina issues and CC breaking with the extra stamina.
  • Sugaroverdose
    Sugaroverdose
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used trainee on my sorc and it did need a nerf, it gave too many stats I could use whatever food/drink I wanted cause I get enough health from trainee, also I never had to worry about stamina issues and CC breaking with the extra stamina.
    Than sorc should be nerfed next :smile:
  • EvilEmpire
    EvilEmpire
    ✭✭✭
    this set was awesome paired with Plauge Doctor on my tank. 50k health, 20k mag, 35k stam. As a tank that doesn't just stand there holding block and taunting every now and then (avg 9-10k dps), this set was perfect for my build style. I've tanked everything but vet trials with it, and presume it would probably be okay there as well.

very disappointed in this nerf.
    Edited by EvilEmpire on February 2, 2017 5:51PM
  • Serjustin19
    Serjustin19
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using this set + willow path to level my alts and i think it does exactly what it is intended to do: help out low level toons.

Lol. 5 of my characters. 3 of which. (Level 50. Almost 600cp) I use in PvP still wears training gear. Sigh. Very sad training gets huge nerf.
    Edited by Serjustin19 on February 2, 2017 6:27PM
    Formerly Serjustin19, Save for Forum Of Course.... Fiery_Darkness (PC NA) currently.
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grace of the ancients and willpower combo is not alternative, i don't even saying how *** it is in comparison with draugh hulk. Still nerf to trainee was just a wrobel way to force mDK to pay for those 5% whip damage.[/quote]

It is better than Trainee for max magika (only).
    Both setups are *** compared to Hulk when it comes to increase 1 max stat.
    If you have 30k max magika before 2º 5 piece sets, Grace of the ancients grants you 1200 (4%) magika + Willpower 2 piece 1400 (+4% from Grace of the ancients)= 2600+ max magika compared to 2500 from Trainee. Very small margin but still better. Grace of the ancients also has a 1 piece bonus to max magika, same as Trainee.
    I totally understand that in PvP, with Battle Roar passive, Trainee offers more utility for mDK. But for raw max magika only, Grace of the ancient + Willpower is (slightly) better than Trainee.
    That was my point.[/quote]

Trainee offered more utility than any those setups because of the health bonus that went along with increasing the damage pool. It also gave magic classes the ability to run something other than tri-food in pvp.

With that being said, I can hit better stats with "non-op" gear. Unfortunately, I still haven't received a shield after 50+ runs of a particular dungeon. Trainee was a gift to the pvp crowd that hated farming.
    Edited by Ron_Burgundy_79 on February 2, 2017 7:30PM
  • Arciris
    Arciris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if I'm that bad at writing or if it is people that just don't read or don't know how to. I will repeat myself and will try to be as clear as possible.

1. Trainee was never BIS (Best In Slot) for end game PvE (end game in PvE is HM vet trials and a couple of HM vet DLC dungeons, nothing else).
    2. I don't know about PvP, since usually PvP doesn't have clear BIS sets. PvP doesn't have a "end game" neither: it is by its very nature endless.
    But there was a huge amount of threads about other sets being OP, and people only started to talk about Trainee after the nerf appeared on patch notes.
    3. I understand that Trainee offers very nice utility - but it has a cost:
    a, you will never deal as much damage than a build purely dedicated to it
    b.you will never do as much healing and support than a build purely dedicated to it
    c. you will never have as much survability than a build purely dedicated to it

Conclusion: it is an hybrid set, and didn't deserve such a huge nerf. 50% (or cut down in half if you prefer).
  • devilsTear
    devilsTear
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if I'm that bad at writing or if it is people that just don't read or don't know how to. I will repeat myself and will try to be as clear as possible.

1. Trainee was never BIS (Best In Slot) for end game PvE (end game in PvE is HM vet trials and a couple of HM vet DLC dungeons, nothing else).
    2. I don't know about PvP, since usually PvP doesn't have clear BIS sets. PvP doesn't have a "end game" neither: it is by its very nature endless.
    But there was a huge amount of threads about other sets being OP, and people only started to talk about Trainee after the nerf appeared on patch notes.
    3. I understand that Trainee offers very nice utility - but it has a cost:
    a, you will never deal as much damage than a build purely dedicated to it
    b.you will never do as much healing and support than a build purely dedicated to it
    c. you will never have as much survability than a build purely dedicated to it

Conclusion: it is an hybrid set, and didn't deserve such a huge nerf. 50% (or cut down in half if you prefer).

First of i meant pvp and secondly there have been enough threads about trainee when people found out it could drop in other traits then training. And what cost? My magDK has
    37k magicka
    32k health
    17k Stam
    1400 mag regen and 3k SD with only entropy and that's in heavy armour.
    For magDK's at least in pvp it could be considered BiS. I'll still try it when the patch comes to console but the nerf was too much aye.
  • Yuke
    Yuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait for another two CP-Cap increases and it will be almost as good as before. I wont trash my gold upradet one because of that nerf. (But wont wear it either untill CP-Cap increases further)
    Save Us, Microsoft.

Noricum & Kitesquad™
    YT-Channel