Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Random high ping spikes along with disconnects

speeez
speeez
✭✭✭
I login to the game
My ping is ~100, and then has sporadic spikes to around ~600 and even up to 999+. Other players moving seem to be skipping and fast forwarding.
Then anytime from within 30 seconds to a few minutes, I will disconnect and get kicked back to the login screen with no error message.

Things I've tried to fix:
Switch to a different character.
Load into a different zone.
Restart PC.
Restart Game.
Repair Game.
Run game in admin mode.
Run 32 bit version.
Run 64 bit version.
Restart Modem.
Restart Router.
Speed test to test internet speeds/connection.
Contacted ISP.
Port forwarding.
Flush DNS.
Delete shader file.
Wait several hours and try again.

I guess I'm just posting this here before I lose my mind so there can be records of what occurred to me moments before I slowly disappeared and slipped into madness.
Twitch: www.twitch.tv/speeeztv
YouTube: www.youtube.com/speeeztv
  • Trinity_Is_My_Name
    Trinity_Is_My_Name
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It isn't you. It's most likely DDOS attacks or other issues. I'm disconnected too as are others at this time.
  • speeez
    speeez
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't you. It's most likely DDOS attacks or other issues. I'm disconnected too as are others at this time.

really?! a handful of people I've been in contact with are all online and playing just fine, and I couldn't find any posts anywhere of people having similar issues

where can I look next time to see if others are having similar issues?
  • speeez
    speeez
    ✭✭✭
    I've also tried that IP blocking thing
    no dice
  • leeux
    leeux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was not you only... I've seen two other people that had the same problem about an hour ago... it's probably a local area issue... have you checked the internet outage map?

In my case, I have been playing fine with normal pings, but I had issues logging in... took three attempts to get in game earlier, but I blamed that to the fact that my char was parked in Rawl.
    PC/NA - Proud old member of the Antique Ordinatus Populus

My chars
    Liana Amnell (AD mSorc L50+, ex EP) =x= Lehnnan Klennett (AD mTemplar L50+ Healer/Support ) =x= Ethim Amnell (AD mDK L50+, ex DC)
    Leinwyn Valaene (AD mSorc L50+) =x= Levus Artorias (AD mDK-for-now L50+) =x= Madril Ulessen (AD mNB L50+) =x= Lyra Amnis (AD not-Stamplar-yet L50+)
    I only PvP on AD chars

~~ «And blossoms anew beneath tomorrow's sun >>»
    ~~ «I am forever swimming around, amidst this ocean world we call home... >>»
    ~~ "Let strength be granted so the world might be mended... so the world might be mended."
    ~~ "Slash the silver chain that binds thee to life"
    ~~ Our cries will shrill, the air will moan and crash into the dawn. >>
    ~~ The sands of time were eroded by the river of constant change >>
  • rt.gamemailb14_ESO
    rt.gamemailb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I have been experiencing the same exact thing as OP for the vast majority of today. We are talking over 12+ hours of this constant rubber-band-type lag. The game is unplayable in this state, and I too have friends who have been running fine all day (although they are in different geographical locations than I).

If it helps, I'm in the SoCal area, around Santa Barbara so probably running traffic through LA (best guess). At this point, I have also tried the majority of what OP has with zero benefit, including:
    • Switching characters
    • Loading into different zones
    • Restart PC
    • Reinstalling Windows Fresh
    • Restarting Game
    • Repairing Game
    • Running both 32 and 64 bit clients
    • Running both 32 and 64 bit clients in admin
    • Restart Modem
    • Restart Router
    • Speed test to test internet speeds/connection
    Oddly enough, my ping and connection are just fine in Battlefield 1 as well as the web-based ping/speed tests. My suspicion at this point is that this either something out of our control (like DDoS) or ESO is stupidly sensitive to home networks and something odd is happening to both of us.
  • speeez
    speeez
    ✭✭✭
    I have been experiencing the same exact thing as OP for the vast majority of today. We are talking over 12+ hours of this constant rubber-band-type lag. The game is unplayable in this state, and I too have friends who have been running fine all day (although they are in different geographical locations than I).

If it helps, I'm in the SoCal area, around Santa Barbara so probably running traffic through LA (best guess). At this point, I have also tried the majority of what OP has with zero benefit, including:
    • Switching characters
    • Loading into different zones
    • Restart PC
    • Reinstalling Windows Fresh
    • Restarting Game
    • Repairing Game
    • Running both 32 and 64 bit clients
    • Running both 32 and 64 bit clients in admin
    • Restart Modem
    • Restart Router
    • Speed test to test internet speeds/connection
    Oddly enough, my ping and connection are just fine in Battlefield 1 as well as the web-based ping/speed tests. My suspicion at this point is that this either something out of our control (like DDoS) or ESO is stupidly sensitive to home networks and something odd is happening to both of us.

I am from SoCal as well... I wonder if this could be because of where we live?

And as you said, every other game I play works flawlessly.
    I played h1z1 and rocket league just fine.

So weird...
  • rt.gamemailb14_ESO
    rt.gamemailb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    It seems the ridiculous lag I was having yesterday are no longer present as of ~11:30am PST.
  • Psilent
    Psilent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could everyone that is having ping spikes while playing the game do me a huge favor; please go to your start menu and type in the search bar "cmd"; right click on it and run as admin. In the command prompt please type the following:

tracert 198.20.198.110 > c:\trace.txt

Paste the results of that text file in this thread please.

198.20.198.110 is the location of the NA/PC Megaserver; the reason I want you to do this is so I can see what route your signal takes to the megaserver.

I am currently experiencing the same issue; along with other guild mates of mine. The reason is due to a congested node on the way to the ESO PC/NA Megaserver; ZOS knows about it, but until I can prove to them more people are experiencing the same ping spikes, they won't take action. I've been in talks with them, my ISP, the ISP responsible and they all tell me I need more data.

If your tracerts show the same node, I'll be able to flood them with more data. And maybe one day I can play ESO in the evenings again without annoying latency spikes.

Thank you!
  • Longhorn90
    Hi Psilent. I've been having this same problem just about all of January. Random lag spikes and disconnects back to the login screen with no error messages. Can happen anywhere from 5-40 min after logging in. I have a 200/20 plan and can stream 4K HD content, multiple Pandora streams and have other devices in my home accessing the internet with no trouble whatsoever. I play several other MMO's and have never had this issue. It just seems to be with ESO.

Attaching my tracert file.
    Edited by Longhorn90 on January 31, 2017 1:41AM
  • Marcomazzo
    same problem here pc EU
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    This thread is a few months old so we are closing the discussion. There is already an ongoing discussion regarding this issue found here where you can find troubleshooting that may help with high latency.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.