The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

LoterkESO - Tanking Tips + Guides

Senatour
Senatour
✭✭
Hello all.
For those who have not heard of me I mainly make videos focusing on tanking, primarily builds and guides. The series I am sharing here are designed to cover various concepts and principles for those looking to tank as a new player, those thinking of role swapping or simply for individuals who would like to hone their tanking prowess further or try out a new build. So far the support has been phenomenal and I thank you all for that. I also have other content not listed here which I hope is both engaging and useful, so feel free to check that out on my channel.

In-depth Build Guides
Azure Knight - Magicka Nightblade Tank 'Part 1'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vW6KO-blbI
Info
This is an in-depth build discussion of my One Tamriel Magicka Nightblade PVE tank. Feel free to ask for clarification or more detail in the comments, will be happy to assist!

Note any videos/techniques I referenced but perhaps did not fully explain in detail can be found on my channel within the Tanking Tips playlist.

Appreciate any criticism/comments as this was the first time recording at a slower pace and also in far fewer 'recording sessions' as the narration was recorded live! Happy Holidays!

Azure Knight - One Tamriel Magicka Nightblade 'In-Action' Tank Guide 'Part 2'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNqPDRINtc0
Info
This is the requested follow up 'in-action' build guide video focusing on my One Tamriel Magicka Nightblade PVE tank, which will assist in helping you understand how to play the build and direct you towards the playstyles you should aim to adopt. This video is also meant to be viewed in conjunction with 'part 1', the in-depth build discussion video released prior so I recommend viewing both to enhance the usefulness of them to you.

Feel free to ask for clarification or more detail in the comments, will be happy to assist! Time stamps are in the video description alongside the build in text format, though the 'part 1' video naturally contains more information.

As always, all the support alongside any critiques are greatly appreciated. Take care going into the new year guys!

Molten Drake - Dragonknight Tank Guide
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiPK1erAnMs
Info
This build covers my take on both the One Tamriel and (projected) Homestead patches for Dragonknight tanking. The key aspects of this build are a nice mix of self-tankiness and group support, making it an excellent 'all-rounder' for any content you might find yourself in.

However note that in harder trials, this build is for main tanking as the off-tank role is quite different in terms of what is expected.

If you want to skip to an area you particularly want to know about, time stamps are provided in the video description alongside extra information/links that you may want to have a look at for further information/useful videos.

Tanking Tips
First Episode - Positioning + Movement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRm1_-Kag6o
Info
This episode is the first of the series focusing on concepts surrounding tank movement/positioning. Hopefully this video will aid in breaking down some of the important aspects of tank movement for less experienced players, especially in relation to DPS ground damage over time abilities and certain boss mechanics.

Second Episode - Buff + Resource Management
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goJd4446AjU
Info
This episode of tanking tips focuses on teaching the basics of both buff and resource management when tanking, alongside some specific tips for each class. This should be especially helpful for newer players who came into the game with One Tamriel, for those seeking to role swap or simply individuals who want to hone their skills.

Note that this episode is longer than usual, as I had a large topic to cover. Time stamps are in the video description if you want to skip to the parts you are most interested in.

Third Episode - Racial Choices
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPymmUsL3-M
Info
This episode looks at and gives my opinion on the best races for both Stamina and Magicka tanking. This is probably one of the first questions you will ever ask when you want to start getting into tanking so hopefully it provides some insight.

Fourth Episode - Add Management
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oYjns-c7CM
Info
This video focuses on teaching the most important aspects of add management for tanks in The Elder Scrolls Online. This should be particularly relevant for tanks coming over from different MMOs, such as WoW, due to the differences in the agro/taunt system alongside also helping new players pick up the key concepts required so as to enable them to excel and feel confident in tanking most content.

Fifth Episode - Some General Advice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WawFg3o7SII
Info
This video is a collection of tips/advice, drawn from my experience as a DPS in random groups which involved observing what things the different tanks had in common in terms of what they could do better or improve on. The aim of this video is to help you improve on your tanking, hopefully resulting in the maximisation of the benefit you can provide to your group, which is increasingly important as you progress towards harder content in the Elder Scrolls Online.

Levelling Guides
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMItXW_kk8Q
Info
This video is a comprehensive guide regarding levelling your new tank character, primarily aimed at those who are newer players just starting out or those who have levelled another character but are seeking to start a tank and want direction on how to go about hitting level 50 onward.

More to come:

As always, I appreciate any comments/criticism and support. Note that if some finer details are missing, it is probably because I left them for another video in the series. However, would be great to also hear some of your own tips/suggestions for aspiring tanks out there. Also happy to answer any queries you may have, either on my youtube channel or here on the forums.

Take care guys and hopefully these videos/my channel helped you out!
Edited by Senatour on February 5, 2017 4:16PM
LoterkESO. Tanking Tips + Guides.
Scottish Player, Australian Ping
Youtube Link
  • Gaggin
    Gaggin
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like how you emphasize no waiting to reapply buffs and taunts, it's stilly proclaim "don't overtaunt" because a lot of boss mechanics can cause you to lose aggro cus you didn't want to taunt a few seconds early.

I had no idea NBs were more populat tanks than templars. I have never seen one in a trial. However, I am a fan of Templar tanking and am sad to see you using blazing shield. It's weak sauce meant for a one-dimenishional pvp build(which is pretty fun). Instead use BoL.
  • NoFlash
    NoFlash
    ✭✭✭
    Can you make a nightblade tank build
    Daggerfall Covenant

The Ninja Squirrels
  • Senatour
    Senatour
    ✭✭
    Gaggin wrote: »
    I like how you emphasize no waiting to reapply buffs and taunts, it's stilly proclaim "don't overtaunt" because a lot of boss mechanics can cause you to lose aggro cus you didn't want to taunt a few seconds early.

I had no idea NBs were more populat tanks than templars. I have never seen one in a trial. However, I am a fan of Templar tanking and am sad to see you using blazing shield. It's weak sauce meant for a one-dimenishional pvp build(which is pretty fun). Instead use BoL.

In relation to this, glad you appreciate the buff/taunt issue I raised. With respect to popularity, it was not implicitly stated but I was referring more to content outside of trials. I could understand why Templar would be just as popular in certain situations/more so. The main benefit I forsee is that Templars have issues with resource maintenance in comparison to Nightblades/Dragonknights. Though in organised trial/group situations shards helps alleviate that.

With respect to blazing shield, I believe at the time (that clip is an old one) I was attempting to do something similar that I do with my DK, with igneous shield before heavy attack, to mitigate incoming damage due to not blocking. However naturally Igneous Shield is a far better ability both in terms of group utility and personal resource management. I actually used to use BoL before making the change for testing purposes.

I can see the appeal to BoL, not only does it heal yourself but also a party member. So more utility. The only difference would be that it cannot be cast in expectation of increasing incoming damage, rather being a bit more reactive. However you are right in saying that in the vast majority of cases it would provide more group utility and I will test it out further/use it in the future I imagine.

Thanks for the comment/criticism mate!
    Youtube Link
  • Senatour
    Senatour
    ✭✭
    EvoAZN wrote: »
    Can you make a nightblade tank build

I have yet to formalise the full build I currently run due to still wanting to test out some alternative skill setups. However if you want to see something a bit more in the meantime you can check out my 'Chains? Nightblade Tanking Revived' video on my channel for a somewhat closer look at how my tank performs. The build run within that video is pretty much similar to what I do/use now ,except that I no longer use siphoning on front bar. The footage was taken quite early on, when I was still learning effective buff management on that class.

Currently working on a few things, though tentatively I imagine I could produce an inclusive guide soon-ish. Will update here once I do.
    Edited by Senatour on December 15, 2016 2:55PM
    Youtube Link
  • thedude33
    thedude33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff. So calm and relaxed standing in front of a boss. Something I definitely I need to learn

Bumped for future reference.
    1v1 Win/Loss Record in PvP.
    1 Wins - 392 Losses (guy was AFK)

• Senatour
    Senatour
    ✭✭
    thedude33 wrote: »
    Great stuff. So calm and relaxed standing in front of a boss. Something I definitely I need to learn

Bumped for future reference.

Thanks for the kind words mate. In other news, episode 3 is now out which focuses on tanking race choices.
    Youtube Link
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good to see stuff like this. I mostly tank when I put because some random tanks are so bad that it just annoys me. So it's good people put guides like this together. Just hope people view then and take notes.

I enjoy tanking. You're the one calling the shots. DK tanking is OK, but a saptank is amazing. I have a really aggressive saptank build and it does a lot of damage, has excellent recources and helps a bit with group healing. I can drag groups through vet dungeons on it. Probably my favourite thing to do in PvE.
    Edited by Brrrofski on December 20, 2016 8:28AM
  • Senatour
    Senatour
    ✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Good to see stuff like this. I mostly tank when I put because some random tanks are so bad that it just annoys me. So it's good people put guides like this together. Just hope people view then and take notes.

I enjoy tanking. You're the one calling the shots. DK tanking is OK, but a saptank is amazing. I have a really aggressive saptank build and it does a lot of damage, has excellent recources and helps a bit with group healing. I can drag groups through vet dungeons on it. Probably my favourite thing to do in PvE.

Glad to hear you appreciate the content, thank you! Just as an update, given that my Magicka Nightblade tank build was requested, I have just released an in-depth guide on it on my channel so feel free to check it out. Happy holidays!
    Edited by Senatour on December 23, 2016 4:52PM
    Youtube Link
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You've got a sub. Amazing work, keep it up.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Senatour
    Senatour
    ✭✭
    You've got a sub. Amazing work, keep it up.

Glad to hear that you found my videos useful mate and appreciate the praise.

Final video before the new year has just been released, completing the Azure Night build with a 'in-action' build video which demonstrates how to actually play the build through various live PVE encounters. This was partially produced due to viewer feedback, desiring not only the in-depth 'theory' discussion but also wanting a video showcasing the practical implementation of the build and tips on how to play it themselves.

Enjoy!
    Edited by Senatour on December 29, 2016 4:43PM
    Youtube Link
  • Senatour
    Senatour
    ✭✭
    Just released the 4th video in the Tanking Tips series, this time focusing on important add management techniques.In addition, a big thanks to everyone who has helped the channel grow and I am glad that my videos have helped you out/were enjoyable. Take care all!
    Youtube Link
  • Senatour
    Senatour
    ✭✭
    My latest tank guide has been released, this time covering the Dragonknight. Hopefully you find it useful. Enjoy!
    Youtube Link