The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Weapon trait balancing: Suggestion with reasoning.

Masel
Masel
Class Representative
I see a lot of people complaining about the rng of eso, but in my opinion, the real issue is the imbalance of weapon traits. A more balanced approach to traits would encourage theorycrafting and thus build diversity, and is in my opinion the better way to keep people playing and farming gear than the mindless grind that we have right now.

I kept posting the same suggestion on the forums and the response was always Very positive, so I'm trying again with a discussion.
Feel free to tell me if my math is off, I wrote complete nonsense or if I didn't take into account possible consequences of the changes I proposed. Sorry for the long read.

Precise: currently grants 7% critical chance. With a normal criteria damage modifier, this is an increase in healing and damage of 3.5%.
Proposed change: Give precise a 10% crit chance increase and a 10% crit damage modifier. Assuming a crit chance of 66,7% and a normal crit damage modifier before precise, this would lead to a DPS increase of 10%*0.60=6% increase in damage. This would increase with the crit damage modifier bonuses like minor and major force, elfborn/precise strikes (which is additive now) and templar and nightblade passives.
EXAMPLE: Having the 15% crit damage bonus from the nightblade, 7.5% from elfborn the new minor force (10%) and 50% major force it would lead to a damage increase of 10%*(0.5+0.15+0.075+0.075+0.1+0.1)=10%*1.1=11%, which is somewhat in line with what sharpened gives you right now, plus giving you the same bonus to healing.

Nirnhoned: currently gives your weapon an increase in damage of 11%. For staves, shield and board and bows this is an equivalent of 146 spell/weapon damage, and an increase in healing and damage of around 3% without major brutality/major sorcery. For two handed weapons and dual wield, the increase is around 172 spell/weapon damage, which is around 4% damage increase. The contribution to the effective spell/weapon damage is thus very low.
Example: My effective spell power without nirnhoned is around 6500 with 40k magicka and 2500 spell damage. Adding 20% from Major sorcery is then 3000. Factoring in nirnhoneds 146 spell damage, I have 2646 before major sorcery and 3172 after major sorcery. Comparing the two leads to an increase in effective spell power of 172, so a whopping 2.4%.
So in order to make nirnhoned viable, we need to at least triple it’s value to 33%, this way nirnhoned would give 440 spell damage, so 2940 spell power before major sorcery and 3542 after it. The increase in effective spell power is then 542, so it would lead to 7.4% damage increase. Given that this trait buffs healing, works on Shields and scales with increasing spell and weapon damage, this value would increase with stacking spell damage and weapon damage, respectively.

Sharpened: currently increases the damage by over 11%, given that the target’s resistance is not fully mitigated. It doesn’t work on Shields. As I’d prefer bringing the other traits on par with it, I’d leave the trait as it is atm or make it percentage-based at 29%(5280/18200).

Powered: great for healing as it is, but I’d lke to add a damagebased option to enable it’s use on DDS. I’d suggest making it increase light and heavy attack damage. To assess the number, we’d have to define the percentage of DPS that light and heavy attacks contribute to the overall damage and bring the light and heavy attack damage up so you don’t lose too much dps through it.
Assuming that light and heavy attacks contribute around 15% dps, we’d have to increase the damage of them by 60% to get to 22.5%.

Example: medium attack weaving contributes 4500 dps of 30000 with sharpened trait. 4000*1.6=6400 dps with powered. Deducting 11% from 30000 leads to 26700+1900=28600, so you lose around 4% dps from sharpened, but get a significant buff on the healing.

Charged: doesn’t do much right now, only applies status effects more often with a rate of 250%. I suggest adding a doubled duration and effectiveness. On the dk I get around 0.7-1k dps through burning with a 45-50 percent uptime, so charged would basically get it up to 90-100% and double it’s damage, making it contribute up to 3-4k dps to the build. This would be very effective in builds using the new concussion, chilled effects in pvp, poison and fire dot builds, and disease in pvp.

Infused: Is strong on tanks, and in my opinion, it doesn’t need to be changed much except to apply on poisons as well.

Defending: Strong trait, let it behave similar to sharpened, so either leave it or make it percentagebased.

Prosperous: Make it increase the chance of the set that you’re wearing it of, so if you wear seven BSW pieces, it increases the drop chance of BSW items by 700%.

Training can stay as is, just remove it from full level armor.
@Zos_Ginabruno and @Zos_richlambert, I'd like to hear what you think of this, even though I probably won't :D
Edited by Masel on January 27, 2017 5:45PM
PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Zakor
    Zakor
    ✭✭✭
    You should structure that wall of text for anyone to read it.

Also, your suggestions seem to be fine to me.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Zakor wrote: »
    You should structure that wall of text for anyone to read it.

Also, your suggestions seem to be fine to me.

I'll do that when I get home. Wrote it on my phone in a boring lecture.
    Edited by Masel on January 27, 2017 5:49PM
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Solid suggestions sir!
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most suggestions look reasonable, but I don't think your change to powered is a good idea. Just imagine 60% extra damage on Overload light attacks or shock staff heavy attacks.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Most suggestions look reasonable, but I don't think your change to powered is a good idea. Just imagine 60% extra damage on Overload light attacks or shock staff heavy attacks.

Yeah I figured that was a little much :D
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

This is true but that would make it a very specific buff. Afterall they would be losing damage by not using a sharpened weapon. This would simply make overload, and only overload more powerful while neglecting your other abilities. I would by fine with the suggested change.
  • caperon
    caperon
    ✭✭✭✭
    An easier solution is nerf sharpened (probably defending too) 50%.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only these were the kind of suggestions that would be attempted in a "balancing" update.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    caperon wrote: »

Nah, not while NPCs have 18.5k resistance, and heavy armor is so powerful in PvP.
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    caperon wrote: »

Nah, not while NPCs have 18.5k resistance, and heavy armor is so powerful in PvP.

Yeah the high Enemy resistance in both pve and pvp was the reason I voted against nerfing sharpened.
    PC EU

Youtube: